Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

First attempt at DIY Shampoo
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Having read about all the benefits of Castile Soap I decided to have a go at a DIY shampoo.

This is the recipe I used:

Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

1/4 cup/60 ml Liquid Castile Soap
1/4 cup/60 ml Aloe Vera Gel
1 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp light vegetable oil eg. Macadamia/Jojoba/Avocado
2 tsp SKB 10%
10 drops Peppermint Oil

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, and shake before every use. Apply liberally to wet hair and let sit a few minutes before rinsing well with cool water.

It lathered up quite well, but the solution is a bit runny. Please feel free to contribute any other recommendations

5% products discount

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Sound interesting, how did your hair feel when dry and the next day? What type of hair do you have? Did it provide slip? (like when using conditioner) Did you use conditioner after? Sorry for so many questions. This sounds like a DIY I can handle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have baby fine limp hair that is the curse of my life! The next day it did feel as though it had a little more body.

I am finding that I have to use a little more of the solution than usual to cover the whole head, maybe because it's a bit runny. I didn't use conditioner afterwards and I also don't think it's necessary. It smells lovely.

The Castile Soap I'm using is an organic product made from Olive and Neem Oil. It has no surfactants in it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:45 am      Reply with quote
That sounds very interesting, I might try it with my Dr. Bronners Peppermint Oil soap, it's all natural Castile soap with added peppermint already! Thanks I'll have to give it a try! Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I seem to have an itchy scalp, no matter what sort of shampoo I use - and I have always tried to use "natural" or organic ones that contain no SLS. However, since I've been using the castile soap shampoo - no itching!

I also have another version now:

Peppermint Shampoo

1 cup castile soap
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tsp SKB
1/8 teaspoon peppermint essential oil
¼ teaspoon vitamin E oil

Combine all ingredients in a plastic bottle and shake well to mix.

And I'm also using this recipe as a rinse:

Lemon & Honey Rinse

2 cups hot water
2 green tea bags
1 tbs honey
1 lemon or lime

Infuse the tea bags in the hot water until tea is quite strong, remove and mix in other ingredients.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I don't get the itchies, but this subtropical climate with the heat and humidity really gets the best of my hair!
Thanks for posting I will give them a try and let you know how it works for me.

DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I seem to have an itchy scalp, no matter what sort of shampoo I use - and I have always tried to use "natural" or organic ones that contain no SLS. However, since I've been using the castile soap shampoo - no itching!

I also have another version now:

Peppermint Shampoo

1 cup castile soap
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tsp SKB
1/8 teaspoon peppermint essential oil
¼ teaspoon vitamin E oil

Combine all ingredients in a plastic bottle and shake well to mix.

And I'm also using this recipe as a rinse:

Lemon & Honey Rinse

2 cups hot water
2 green tea bags
1 tbs honey
1 lemon or lime

Infuse the tea bags in the hot water until tea is quite strong, remove and mix in other ingredients.

What is "SLS", sorry, I do seem to get quite lost with these acronyms so in vogue nowadays!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate - it's a surfactant used in many shampoos but it's supposed to be harmful for skin and hair.

http://www.healthy-communications.com/slsmostdangerousirritant.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
yay! great shampoo.
did you find a good thickener for it?

this is something that i can do ... i think.
thanks for the review!

the tea bag rinse is a good idea. i'm sure this can be incorporated into a nice chammomile shampoo too.

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it out, with the exception of the peppermint oil (makes my scalp itchy, as I found out from using an ABBA mint shampoo).
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:07 am      Reply with quote
3rd.oculus wrote:
Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it out, with the exception of the peppermint oil (makes my scalp itchy, as I found out from using an ABBA mint shampoo).

Peppermint Oil is supposed to be good for scalp conditions which is why I put it in. You might find that it was something else in the ABBA mint shampoo that made your scalp itch. This DIY shampoo has solved my itching scalp - I'm presuming that there's something in OTC shampoos that doesn't agree with me. Anyway, try it first without the Peppermint Oil and see how you go - you can always pop some in later.

Ilina - I didn't put anything in to thicken it up, but I did find that it thickened up a little after I'd let it stand awhile. Because it's runnier than normal shampoos, I've put it in one of those drink bottles with the pull up cap - then I just tip the bottle over my head and squirt it all over, this works well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
What is SKB?

I make my own soap, and the generic rule of thumb is people with short or shoulder length hair love my bar soap as shampoo.
I hated it on my hair, I have long fine hair, and this is because any kind of soap, including castille has excess oil so that no to dry out skin.
And that excess oil is not what I like to work in my hair.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Sea Kelp Bioferment is a natural kelp extract that is obtained using traditional fermentation technology. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of many chemical compounds by freeing them from the food matrix to which they are typically bound. In addition, the principle of fermentation allows for the isolation and concentration of naturally occurring phytochemicals.
Sea Kelp Bioferment is an excellent moisturizer. It can be used in creams and lotions, toners, shampoo and other personal care products.

INCI Name: Lactobacillus/Kelp Ferment Filtrate

Physical Form: Yellow to Amber Colored, Water-soluble, Viscous Liquid

Recommended Usage: 2% - 5%

http://www.theherbarie.com/Sea-Kelp-Bioferment-pr-267.html

NCN and Skinactives also carry it as well as some other suppliers I believe!

HTH
DM Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 am      Reply with quote
DM, what do you do with the sea kelp bio-ferment? Just plop in 2 - 5 percent into your shampoo mixture? Does it have to be in the fridge? Thanks!

Pluto
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |