Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to mention that it makes such
a difference onmy skin the days I drink my carrot-beet-apple juice and the days I don't. It's amazing.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
From what I hear from my buddies the Vita mix is also a great machine. I have owned both the Blendtec and the L equip 228 and they are both wonderful. If you think you are going to be a regular with smoothies I think you would be happy with any of the three.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I posted here recently at the difficulty I seemed to be having with green smoothies, in that they made me feel fluey with sinus pain and I would erupt in cold sores. After much researching, I think I may be salicylate sensitive. If I have a particularly large smoothie, my hands start to throb, and then my cuticles become dry and peel within 24 hrs. I know this is directly related, because I have stopped and started several times now, with the same thing happening.

So my question is, does anyone here have such a sensitivity, and is there a way to manage it and still consume fruit and veg. I really like the energy lift I get from smoothies, so I'm really annoyed about this,

many thanks

Jackie xx
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Hey Jackie... I found this article... looks interesting...

I think I would talk with a nutritionist at this point to see how to approach best...

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/salicylate-sensitivity.html?ivNPA=1&sky=ggl|hco|al|salicylatesensitive|PPC3BFB|s

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Jackie, here's another (related) thought...

my dear friend who is a naturopath and homeopath..is also very involved in something called the Carroll Intolerance Test (my husband and i and many of our friends have been following this system for some years now)...

this is diferent than most systems of food intolerance in that it's based on the concept that we are all born with an intolerance to one of several different food groups..it's not a weakness or die-ease...and not something we can change (except, perhaps through some extraordinary inner power derived through some supra-understanding of the intimate, non-physical underpinings of all of life!)...and since we can't digest foods from our intolerance...those foods cause inflammation, etc. in our body/organs/brains...leading to real dis-ease..and secondary food..and envoronmental... intolerances that we are not born with..and can change.

some of the food groups are very pervasive in our westernized diets..and those of us who are intolerant to those foods..but have grown up eating them..have developed much secondary 'stuff' on top of/or even hidding our promary intolerance (there are also secondary intolerances which are combinations of fods from two different food groups, which are fine when eaten alone..but if eaten within 5-7 hours of each other also cause 'reaction'..since our body (according to this method) cannot digest that comination of food)...

anyway, my intolerance is fruit...which according to this method.. includes olives (including olive oil), coconut (including coconut oil and butter) avocados. and also some natural additives, including citric acid, annato coloring (added to most butters,etc) and many asorbates (but doesn't include melons or rosehips)

and the culprit is not the sugar in fruit, but the fruit acids (melons, i realized, after becoming sensitive to the acids in other fruit, is so much more 'mellow'..it's almost like something is 'missing'...like eating fod w/o the spice, almost)

anyway, i don't know if this is relevant to you or nnot, but know you have a lot of food sensitivites/allergies..so thought i would share.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting Jasminerosey.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 am      Reply with quote
thanks for your replies guys!

These intolerances seem to have gotten worse as I've got older. It seems when I have a rather large smoothie, I can feel the symptoms right away, whereas with a smaller glass, I don't notice them as much. I really want to be able to have them as they do relieve my tiredness, but after a few days I start to wonder where the really dark circles under my eyes have come from. I suppose I can only try to have them moderately and see what happens.

Really though, how annoying is it to be sensitive to sooo many fruits and vegetables - the very things that are best for us!

thanks again

Jackie xx
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
hey everyone,

i finally got some canned organic pumpkin, and it made an EXCELLENT smoothie. think of it as replacing banana (which can be quite caloric). pumpkin is an amazingly complete food, nutritious-wise, and is highly anti-inflammatory.

my green smoothie combines greens (kale and spinach, mostly) and blackberries and pumpkin and raw almonds, and i top it with chia gel. mmmm---mmmm!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
hey everyone,

i finally got some canned organic pumpkin, and it made an EXCELLENT smoothie. think of it as replacing banana (which can be quite caloric). pumpkin is an amazingly complete food, nutritious-wise, and is highly anti-inflammatory.

my green smoothie combines greens (kale and spinach, mostly) and blackberries and pumpkin and raw almonds, and i top it with chia gel. mmmm---mmmm!

--avalange

That sound so good!!!!I have to admit I have fallen off the smoothie wagon with the chill of winter but this weekend I am back and going strong....now pumpkin is my next item.....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I fell off the wagon with the chill of winter too. Now that the weather is warming up a bit, I'm back on too. I ordered my pumpkin at the grocery store two weeks ago and it's still not in.

5% products discount

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad to have found this thread right now...Sort of unrelated to skin care, but maybe this smoothie thing will become a habit.

I just had my wisdom teeth out and food is my enemy...but if I can get some vegetables in some way I think I'll be doing better. Thank you Thank you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Claire
It's skincare from the inside out! Very Happy
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
My most favorite green dessert:

Blueberry Pomegranate Green Dessert

1 C baby spinach
1/2 c 100% pomegranate juice
1 C frozen blueberries
a few drops liquid stevia to your taste

Really, really good and frosty.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
mmmmm sounds yummy.

5% products discount

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
In addition to green smoothies, which I love, but, find myself doing in spurts, is anyone using any of the super green powders?

I am not suggesting replacing green smoothies, but supplementing if you are sometimes short on time like me. Depending on the brand, a serving can be equal to 5 or more servings of fruits and veggies a day along with chlorophyll, spirulina, etc. The problem I have had in the past is the taste. They can really taste awful (sometimes tasting the way a zoo smells...yuck!)

I have been making this and drinking it daily for the last several days:

Super Green Cocktail

A large mason jar filled with water (24 oz)

TBS Super Green Powder (any brand you like, I have recently been using Greens+ Wild Berry Burst...still tastes awful to me on it's own...Vitacost)

1/4 tsp powdered Vitamin C

Tsp raw honey (or to taste)

TBS of cranberry concetrate (This is what improves the taste and I have found that it completely erases the swampy taste and makes it slightly tart, which I like...I get mine from vitacost)

30 Drops of Trace Minerals (This is also something I cannot stomach the taste of on it's own...Vitacost)

and I will also be adding MSM in powdered form when what I ordered comes in.

This ends of being a very healthy cocktail that is not heavy like juice and other than all the goodies in it, it is also 24oz of water!

If you try it, I hope you like it!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not big on green powders, but one that I do love is Vitamineral Green. It's great, but it's not cheap. It contains green leafy vegetables (kale, wheatgrass, nettle, etc.), sea vegetables (dulse, spirulina, etc.), and probiotics. Here is a link to it:

http://www.healthforce.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1

I do use it when I am in a pinch, traveling, or just feel like mixing things up. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
HI there CM - Is there a reason you chose this one over others? There are so many out there. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sistersweets Smile,

A few reasons:

(1) I like that it has land greens, sea greens, and probiotics, including natural soil organisms. So I love the triple threat there Smile

(2) It's the only powdered food supplement that I felt a major difference with (taking 2 tbsps a day), even when eating mostly fruits and vegetables. I've only tried a handful of green food supplements and another handful of other superfood supplements, so you might want to take that with a grain of salt, as I don't have a lot of experience in this area Wink

(3) I like the high-quality and the reputation of the company. They are always trying to improve the formula, pushing the boundaries, and I like that constant commitment to improvement. To give a more concrete example, I heard an interview with the product formulator where he said that to be able to call spirulina "organic", there were some complicated regulations about what you can and can't feed the algae. As it turns out, you can't feed them their natural food source, which involves some inorganic matter and call the algae organically grown. He thought it was better to be true to nature and feed spirulina their natural food sources (which are totally pesticide free, but are still not able to be labeled as organic), because in good conscience, that produces a better product, even though he can't label it as organic. I like that sort of integrity Smile

(4) It's not diluted with grains, beans, seeds, fiber, or other fillers. BUT, the big drawback is that it's expensive, otherwise, I would probably use more. If you are interested in trying it out, you can always buy smaller sizes or their trial size for like $3 (+ shipping).

FWIW, my boyfriend likes it, too, and just purchased another 4.5 pounds (!) of it. He does not eat like I do, but he does have a giant green smoothie in the morning with 2/3 a lb of greens, 1 tbsp of Vitamineral Green, and 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil.

But, I'm sure there are other great green powders out there too...just wanted to weigh in on one that I like and feel comfortable recommending.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Wow- thank you so much for that detailed answer. I like the idea of the probiotics. Now, I'm off to see if my spirulina is labeled "organic". I know being organic has some odd ball requirements and I'm skeptical about the term. Funny how things you think should be good can actually be not so great or certainly not the ideal in some instances.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome Smile Let us know if there are any you love, too. I'm totally game for experimenting, too Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
i love Healthforce products because the vitality of their products is so phenomenal..i don't use the Vitamineral Green (wish i could) because of the amla in it (i've posted elsewhere that i have a fruit acid intolerance... and the amla. which is a berry very high in vitamin c, isn't assimilable for me) but i do use their Greener Grasses, which is also very powerful, and i include wise woman-type nettle, burdock and dandelion infusions in my diet ( which are also a good base for smoothies or energy soups)as well as eating/blending raw greens.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
i love Healthforce products because the vitality of their products is so phenomenal..i don't use the Vitamineral Green (wish i could) because of the amla in it (i've posted elsewhere that i have a fruit acid intolerance... and the amla. which is a berry very high in vitamin c, isn't assimilable for me) but i do use their Greener Grasses, which is also very powerful, and i include wise woman-type nettle, burdock and dandelion infusions in my diet ( which are also a good base for smoothies or energy soups)as well as eating/blending raw greens.

I totally agree, JasmineRosey Smile. Funnily, I have a friend who will only eat the Spirulina from Healthforce nutritionals, since she says it has the best taste of all the spirulinas she's tried. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I noticed QVC is carrying the Health Master blender and it looks like a great price. If I didn't already own a Blentec i would be looking at this for something like 169.00????

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 08, 2010 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone!

I'm a HUGE Raw Food and specifically Green Smoothie Enthusiast! I have about 24-30oz of Green Smoothie everyday, and try to eat as many Raw Fruits and Vegetables as possible. I'm so excited to find this thread on EDS. So, I figured I'd share some information on my favorite things to use Smile I hope no ones posted all this already

My Favorite Greens to use as bases for the Green part are as follows, for the following reasons Smile

Obviously they are all high in vitamins and minerals, but...

Arugula - High Sulfur concentrations, which is amazing for the skin. Wild Arugula is best, as it has more sulfur accumulated from Rain water.
Parsley - High Vitamin C content
Dandelion Greens (wild picked, when possible) - extremely cleansing of the liver which plays a vital connection to the skin and detoxification
Baby Spinach - aside from being high in Vitamins and Minerals, as most greens are, I think Baby Spinach has the best taste
Kale - Kale is one of the most nutritionally dense foods (per calorie) on the planet, however it's also got the worst taste in my opinion. I usually always do 1-2 bananas when Kale day comes.

I alternate the base for the Smoothie and do a different base everyday. Some of my favorite things to mix and match with the greens are Apples, Pears, Bananas, Young Thai Coconuts, Mango, and Oranges.

I add super foods into my smoothie aswell, Usually a shot of Amazing Grass Wheatgrass Powder or some wild herbs (currently putting in Stinging Nettle, how exotic! haha)

I'm sure someone has already recommended the Victoria Boutenko books (Green For Life, Green Smoothie Revolution, or 12 Steps to Raw Food are all good) but another good one is "Eating for Beauty" by David Wolfe. He goes beyond Green Smoothies, but several other good-for-skin recipes. Smile

I can't wait to read more of this thread!
-Nemo

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 08, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Nemo wave ,
So glad you came on board this thread. We really got this thread going and over the winter we kinda slowed down. With all the fresh fruits and veggies coming in to the markets now we will get cranked back up. I loved your post with all the information...please share more! Very Happy

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |