Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Help?

I added green smoothies to my regimen, and gained 5 pounds last week!

I normally drink water with lemon, caffeine free diet coke, or crystal light. So, replacing those drinks with a smoothie meant adding calories. And yet, I ate because I was hungry.

Any tips on avoiding weight gain? LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
Help?

I added green smoothies to my regimen, and gained 5 pounds last week!

I normally drink water with lemon, caffeine free diet coke, or crystal light. So, replacing those drinks with a smoothie meant adding calories. And yet, I ate because I was hungry.

Any tips on avoiding weight gain? LOL

That's one reason I throw an apple in most all of mine, they are filling and you can pretty much use your smoothie as a meal replacement. There are sites listed on the thread where you can check the calories of what you are consuming. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I don't even mind the five pounds as I still fit in my clothing, and my parents would be thrilled to see it, but, if I continued at that rate, I'd be in trouble fast!

It might have been the bananas... I like the texture bananas give smoothies.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
I don't even mind the five pounds as I still fit in my clothing, and my parents would be thrilled to see it, but, if I continued at that rate, I'd be in trouble fast!

That will add calories, I have a bunch of Banana trees out by the pool and they have bunches on them right now (still babies) but I will be giving tons of Bananas away soon along with those we eat! LOL Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
gossamer,
canned (unsweetened) pumpkin tastes virtually the same as bananas and contributes similar texture to mak it more "smoothie-like." it's also quite the superfood--try it!

--avalange

gossamerwings wrote:

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing OMG, Bethany and Toby, your 'pet-meds mishaps' are hilarious Laughing Laughing Laughing. By now, Bethany - your cat's supplements are hopefully through your system and you survived the whole thing with out any issues or meowing incidents Laughing Laughing .

On a more serious side - Bethany, so you do add your green/protein powder and other supps to your green smoothie? I do it occasionally, but tried not to, because I thought I read here that it is not good to mix powders into the 'real' fresh smoothie. I think somebody said something about organism getting confused or something Confused Confused . Any thoughts?

No meowing from me today. Very Happy

Honestly, I make the powder smoothies more regularly than the "fresh" smoothies because 1) I like the taste better, 2) it's easier, 3) I can measure the exact calories, and 4) I need the high nutrient version of protein powder that I use because I am deficient in too many things to count. Rolling Eyes Plus, I get way too hungry too soon without the protein powder.

But I eat a huge green salad with spinach, baby greens, tomatoes, summer squash, black beans, etc. every day for lunch, and fruit for a snack. So I am still getting the same stuff later in the day, just not in a liquid version.

You had asked about protein powders earlier in the thread. The one I use is below...I like it because it is low in carbs, has detox benefits, and also has a very high nutrition profile without fake sweeteners, etc.

Quote:
Constant Health Rice Protein Formula - French Vanilla

Constant Health™ - Immune, Intestinal & Detox Support for Your Body’s Ten Trillion Cells

Constant Health was designed – with the help of a leading integrative physician, two naturopaths, a Ph.D. biochemist, and our CEO --to improve the terrain and cellular health in three vital ways – by boosting the immune system, improving intestinal health, and supporting healthy elimination of various environmental and dietary toxins.

http://store.ourhealthcoop.com/product_p/chv2.htm

There is a TON more about it at the link above, plus they even have a white paper (link below)dedicated to all the ingredients, etc. Rolling Eyes I usually wait for their 20% off sales, and stock up then.

http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/constant_health_whitepaper.pdf

HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Toby wrote:
Bethany if you start meowing like your kitty you better call 911! Laughing I took my dogs pills by mistake one morning(they were tranquilizers to knock him out when he got a nasty skin infection). The other pill I took was mine and it was an allergy pill that makes me very sleepy. Trust me I struggled at work for the first couple of hours. The funniest part of the whole thing is my dog is trained to jump up on a chair to get his meds in the morning....and when he did I realized I had already taken his pills!!! The look on both of our faces was priceless Laughing I did call the pharmacy and they said I would be fine as long as I didn't start barking...so Bethany you aren't alone with the adventures!

I was half asleep when I posted that so I edited it this morning...I have better brain cells in the am Laughing Rolling Eyes

Toby, I would have PAID to see your face when you realized that happened, lol. But I'm glad you made it through the work day without falling asleep!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 am      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:

Hi gossamerwings,

I wouldn't be surprised if most of that were water weight and simply the result of being more hydrated. It is extremely hard to even gain 3 lbs in a week. Your body should adjust soon, and hopefully give you more hydrated skin, reflecting the higher level of hydration Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Have any of you experimented with adding fennel to your smoothies? I was looking at the products on this site & saw the Rodial Flat Tummy Sticks which contain "Fennel Seeds- eliminate waste and gases, making the tummy appear flatter". This morning I used fennel tea for the liquid portion of the smoothie, also added ground fennel seeds & it turned out quite tasty...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Have not tried fennel.. a licorice taste (only tastes right on certain things for me...)

But it SHOULD help with gas and such. I know the colic concoction I used on the boys had fennel in it...

The tea was a great idea to bring it to your smoothie...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Also Fennel is touted to suppress the appetite - which truthfully today it was indeed suppressed, I noticed a couple of hours later than my usual lunch-time that I was still not hungry, then filled up quickly when I did eat!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
We have a lot of off label use of pharmaceuticals going on around here, but I think Bethany and Toby deserve awards for the most inventive off label use of meds, albeit it pet meds! Bad Grin Bad Grin

Sorry gals I just couldn't resist ribbing you for that! LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
We have a lot of off label use of pharmaceuticals going on around here, but I think Bethany and Toby deserve awards for the most inventive off label use of meds, albeit it pet meds! Bad Grin Bad Grin

That's ok...I can take it! Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

That's ok...I can take it! Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

I figured you both could or I wouldn't dare post that! I know I have pulled some whoopers myself! Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 6:58 am      Reply with quote
All, I hope you can help me. I eat a ton of vegetables. That is mostly what I fill up on. I don't eat much meat. Protein is mostly beans, fish, tofu (some). I eat about 5 cups of salad. which includes lettuce, celery, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and other misc. veggies. I incorporate beans, and fish in there too. I eat this everyday. Usually twice, for lunch and dinner. It fills me up as I work out 2 times a day. I drink a ton of water, and stay away from sugar or bad carbs. How will I benefit from a green smoothie. I want to make sure this will be an addition to my diet, not a weight gainer. I eat very good stuff, mostly organic.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Sherry,

http://www.fitday.com is a great place to analyze your diet.

Personally, I would plug in what you eat on a daily basis...

Then pick a smoothie that sounds good to you, an plug that in...

Then compare...

A smoothie is going to generally get in a lot more veggies, (and fruit) than you can sit and chew.

A lot of people use it them for meal replacements as they CAN be quite heavy in the calorie dept.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 28, 2010 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I bought a big blender.. the Blendec. Got it on Qvc, where I can pay 3 easy payments. Woo hoo. Looking forward to creating new concoctions with veggies and using all of your recipes too. Yea! Very Happy Very Happy

Sat May 29, 2010 1:37 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
gossamer,
canned (unsweetened) pumpkin tastes virtually the same as bananas and contributes similar texture to mak it more "smoothie-like." it's also quite the superfood--try it!

--avalange

I have a big can of unsweetened pumpkin. Does anyone know how long it will keep once I've opened it? And any recs for how much to use per smoothie?
sarahbellum

Sat May 29, 2010 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been contributing to this thread. I have been doing green smoothies over the past couple of months. I feel SO much better than I did a few months ago. My mood is better, I have fewer PMS symptoms, my skin seems to be gaining back some structure, and my acne is lessened. None of these are like OMG WOW HUGE CHANGE but I really do just feel so much better overall. The biggest and most dramatic change is that my elimination is regular and complete for the first time in my life. This change has been nothing short of amazing for me.

Anyways, moving right along... Razz

My morning breakfast smoothie consists of:
-1 ripe banana
-1/3 c frozen fruit (usually blueberries or mango)
-1 heaping T ground flaxseed (will probably switch to chia soon)
-1 HUGE handful greens (usually spinach or lamb's or kale)
-enough water to make it blend

I started adding some protein powder to the mix but the jury's still out on that. I almost feel hungrier when I use it, which makes no sense to me.

If I do an afternoon smoothie for a snack it usually consists of:
-a few stalks of parsley
-huge handful greens
-1 heaping T ground flaxseed
-1 apple or pear or sometimes a half grapefruit
-the juice of a lemon or lime (if I have it on hand)
-the teeniest bit of chopped ginger. Like a very thin slice about the size of my middle finger nail
-enough water to blend

I graduated from a cheapie £15 blender to a Kenwood Kmix which was about £65, and the difference is amazing and I no longer feel like need a super expensive blender.

Thanks again, and I look forward to reading this thread for as long as it lives.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
I was away at a conference for few days, and was not able to make my green smoothies - and I REALLY missed them Sad .
Last night when I came home, I was craving soup (spent 3 days eating sandwiches and cookies - Shock ), so I quickly blended some organic spinach with organic chicken broth, added to it chopped carrots, peas and green beans, lightly warmed it up, added large tbsp of chia seeds and a sprinkle of garlic powder - and had the most amazing soup you could imagine (in a matter of 10 minutes!!!).
I'm back to my smoothies now and I am happy Very Happy .

Hope everyone is doing well.
R. Smile

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sarah... Not sure how long a can of pumpkin will last.. (Oh, and JIC, NEVER leave it in the can once open... that's an invitation for major cooties for some reason...Or is that an old wives tale?... Transfer to covered glass just to be safe...)

I would scoop it into servings in an ice cube tray, and freeze it... Then take out one or two cubes a day...

I haven't tried pumpkin yet... HMMMM... I might try this... it's the "wrong" flavor profile within my brain... I'm gonna have to try it... will report when I do!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Just a question with the addition of the pumpkin, Victoria Boutenko doesn't recommend combining starchy vegetables, is it just because of the possibility of gas when combined with fruit? TIA!
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I would scoop it into servings in an ice cube tray, and freeze it... Then take out one or two cubes a day...

Ingenious idea Cool ! Thx.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Added red chard to my smoothie today - very nice! Next time - I need to try kale.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried red chard yet but I will now - I just bought some organic Lacinto kale that was incredibly bitter. I've bought from the same grower before and it was fine....maybe it was old...the leaves were very large!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |