Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
tynkerbell,

You could always germaben II as a microbial preservative in most cosmetic prodcuts. It is effective against gram-positive bacteria, gram-negative bacteria and against mold and yeast. The effective use is at 1%. Hope that helps.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
0.5% Germaban is recommended for use around the eye area. You can also add in herbal extracts that are anti-microbial/anti-fungal, such as Tea Tree extract, Black Willow Bark, and neem extract.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to THANK EVERYONE so much for taking the time to write these recipes out! I just LOVE this website!
Your happy new member, Vanessa Very Happy

Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone
I'm Debbie and I am new here. First I want to say I have enjoyed reading the forums so much these past 2 days. I wanted to try making the Vitamin C Serum you have shared but I am a little confused. I found L -Asorbic Acid Vit C is that the same as Lysorbic Vit C as I am having trouble finding that anywhere

Thanks so much for your help , I am just so excited about trying to make some of my own goodies

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
mt_deb,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, L-ascorbic vit C is the same as Lysorbic vit C. Carekate has a link at the beginning of this thread where she bought hers. I bought mine fromwww.thepersonalformulator.com.
mt_deb

Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Quacko, Thank you so much
I can't wait to get some products ordered and on their way to me!

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I have one more question (sorry) I am getting ready to order the propylene glycol for the Vit C Serum and I see there is a fluid and a sterate ( I guess that is solid ) Which one do I need ? I'm thinking the solid but I don't want to order it till I know for sure. Thanks again

Deb

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Deb,
Yes, you do want the liquid. I don't know where you are getting it from (what supplier), but make sure that the PG you are getting is cosmetic grade.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks pbsadhaka
I was going to order from personal formulator as I saw it mentioned here. Gosh, I am so glad I waited as I was thinking the soild Laughing I have so much too learn !

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:58 am      Reply with quote
Recipe for homemade “Lip Venom”
I decided to use Aquaphor as the "base" or "carrier," but you can use just about any kind of ready-made or homemade lip balm (i.e.: Diderot’s recipe for the avocado oil lip balm). Next, mix in a few drops of liquid Niacin (vitamin B3) and a few drops of liquid vit B6, plus a drop of (liquid form) Cayenne pepper (aka "Capsician") then one drop each of Cinnamon Leaf oil and Clove oil. Mix it all up. Just for grins, to make it a colored gloss, I also mixed in some of my BE minerals blush (I think it was the color called "Flowers") and a dash of honey as well (in addition to adding a bit of sweetness/flavor, honey is one of nature's best moisturizers and humectants!!). Mixed all of this together until the consistancy was pretty smooth, then I spooned it all into an old, clean lip balm pot (a small jar would do just as well).

Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:15 am      Reply with quote
That sounds yummy carekate. another on my "must make" list. I have ordered all the things I need to start making my skin goodies. ( thanks for the help everyone ) I still need to go to the store today and pick up some other things. I did try putting a teaspoon of Canola oil( it's all I had) in my shampoo with a few A+D capsules and HOLY COW is my hair soft. I have very dry hair. I bought some get started kit for your face I think it was called simpleskin comes from elizabeth arden ( Walmart had it ) what CRAP makes my face feel icky. I did see that Walmart has their own wrinkle cream now though with Retinol, can I still use that with the products I am going to make, or would it be better to just use what I am making for a bit and leave all that other stuff behind. I am in a very small town in Montana and Walmart is about the only big store we have, but at least it is a Super Walmart Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't know how many things you are making, but you should be fine. How strong is the retinol cream? Just be careful not to use too many exfoliants at one time, and put on sunscreen!! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:43 am      Reply with quote
FYI - I have been on the lookout for an effective “shave minimizing” body lotion for a couple years that will help slow or prevent the growth of hair on my legs, but all of the brands that I’ve tried have left me severely disappointed. In addition to thick, stubborn leg hair, I’m also plagued by severe dry skin on my legs which actually leaves me with rough, red, scaly spots and patches on my legs.

A couple months ago, I decided to try to make my own shave minimizing super-moisturizer and I have actually begun to see some encouraging results (along with regular use of my Braun Silk-Epil epilator)! I haven’t yet tried my hand at making an actual body *lotion*, but here’s my secret recipe for a super-moisturizing shave minimizing body oil:

Homemade Shaving Minimizing Body Oil

What you need:
------------------------------------------
• 8-oz plastic bottle;
• 7.5 ounces of one or more of the following oils (note: if you wish, you can use a little bit of each!):
» Vitamin E Oil
» Castor Oil
» Grapeseed Oil
» Sweet Almond Oil
» Jojoba Oil
» Avocado Oil
» Palm Oil
» Olive Oil
» Peanut Oil
» Sesame Oil (note: you can use just about any kind of oil that you have on hand, such as emu oil, camelia oil, even vegetable cooking oil if you're desperate!) ;
• 35 drops Clary Sage essential oil (this is the one that actually retards hair growth!!);
• 25 drops of any other favorite aromatherapy essential or fragrance (I prefer orange and vanilla);

What You Do:
----------------------------------------
Add all ingredients to large plastic bottle. Shake well before each use.

How to Use It:
---------------------------------------
After shaving, while legs are still damp, apply generous coat of oil to both legs. Try to avoid toweling your legs, instead pat dry to ensure you’re not rubbing off the oil along with the water droplets! Allow oil to absorb 5-10 minutes before dressing. May also be used as a daily moisturizer which you would apply to legs like your regular body lotion.

~~~~

In addition to my quest for smooth, well-moisturized, hair-free legs, I’m also always on the lookout for a shaving gel or lotion that will give me the closest possible shave. I love Zirhh Shave Gel for men, although at $20 a jar, I don’t splurge on it very often! My second choice is the shave gel from King of Shaves, or any brand of shave oil for men.

I realize it probably sounds counter-intuitive, but using a shave oil to lubricate my legs and razor actually produces a VERY smooth shave. If you want to say goodbye to razor burn/bumps/cuts, then say hello to using a shave oil instead of traditional shaving creams or gels. The shave oil will make the blade of your razor literally g-l-i-d-e across your skin so that you don't even feel the blades against your skin, but it will still give shave you closer than anything else.

Unfortunately, a tiny 0.50 ounce bottle of shave oil can cost anywhere from $5 - $25USD, which I find patently ridiculous since I can make my own shave oil for literally pennies on the dollar!

Homemade Shaving Minimizing Shave Oil

What you need:
• 1-oz amber or cobalt glass or plastic bottle;
• 0.50-oz Grapeseed oil;
• 0.25-oz Pure Aloe Vera Juice
• 10 drops Vitamin E oil;
• 5 drops Castor oil;
• 15 drops Clary Sage essential oil;
• 5 drops Peppermint essential oil;
• 3 drops Tea Tree oil;
• 3 drops lavender oil;
• 3 drops Orange oil

What you do:
Add all ingredients to 1-ounce amber or cobalt bottle. Shake well before each use.

How to use it:
Wet area to be shaved. Apply 5-6 drops of shave oil to wet hands, rub together to warm and emulsify the oil, then spread over the area to be shaved. Wet your razor and start shaving. Rinse/re-wet your razor often, as this continuously adds to the lubrication of the blades.

Note: this shave oil isn’t just for the ladies! Men will also appreciate the smooth, close shave resulting for the use of this oil and – as a result of the magical Clary Sage essential oil – with regular use, this shave oil can help slow or prevent his five o’clock shadow from creeping back too soon. Give it just one try and both of you will be hooked!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Mix plain or lemon or any flavored yogurt, honey and aloe vera gel. There you go, you got your mask. Mix Patricia's Selection Masque and have a a heydey. Works very well.
mt_deb

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Faith
Thanks, I am making/made The Vit C serum. The ACV Toner and the Cleanser. I made the cleanser and I LOVE it all but the smell, I put a few drops of teatree oil and it's a bit strong, so I may do lemon oil next time. The toner I also like but again I just need to try a different oil probably lemon seeing is that is what is on it's way to me along with the things to make the Vit C serum. I can say this. My face feels SO good! Oh and I am doing the 3 day juice fast too. Nothing like jumping in here with both feet right ? I don't know if I will make the 3 days but I hit 24 hours Laughing I WANT my coffee !! Very Happy

My daughter Heather who is 17 will not try any of the things I have made. I want her to try the toner seeing as she gets acne on her upper arms real bad and then of course she messes with it and has scaring, maybe after I make a new batch with the lemon oil and tone done the vinegar a bit she will. I am very happy that I found this forum and all you wonderful gals.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
mt_deb wrote:
Hi Faith
Thanks, I am making/made The Vit C serum. The ACV Toner and the Cleanser. I made the cleanser and I LOVE it all but the smell, I put a few drops of teatree oil and it's a bit strong, so I may do lemon oil next time. The toner I also like but again I just need to try a different oil probably lemon seeing is that is what is on it's way to me along with the things to make the Vit C serum. I can say this. My face feels SO good! Oh and I am doing the 3 day juice fast too. Nothing like jumping in here with both feet right ? I don't know if I will make the 3 days but I hit 24 hours Laughing I WANT my coffee !! Very Happy

My daughter Heather who is 17 will not try any of the things I have made. I want her to try the toner seeing as she gets acne on her upper arms real bad and then of course she messes with it and has scaring, maybe after I make a new batch with the lemon oil and tone done the vinegar a bit she will. I am very happy that I found this forum and all you wonderful gals.

Good luck with the juice fast!! I am sure when your daughter sees the great results that you are going to have with your skin, she will change her mind! Wink I just kind of got into the DIY stuff myself, and it is so much fun!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:48 am      Reply with quote
FYI - even though this isn’t really a recipe per se, it *is* a cheap homemade remedy that actually works so I wanted to share the info with everyone now that summer is here (in the northern hemisphere, anyway) and folks will be spending a lot of time outdoors which means that you’ll likely be plagued with those dratted bloodsucking flying insects:

~~~ Homemade Mosquito Repellant ~~~

Rub a used dryer fabric softener sheet (i.e.: brandname “Bounce”) all over your exposed skin prior to going outdoors to repel mosquitoes.

Depending on how “attractive” you are to mosquitoes – and those of you who are know exactly what I mean, you could be sitting outside in a group of people and you are the only one getting bitten – you might find it necessary to use a fresh, *unused* sheet of Bounce to rub over your exposed skin to keep the little b*stards away. Or try tying an unused sheet of bounce to your belt loop or put it a sheet in your back pocket (leave a bit protruding). In addition to repelling mosquitoes, it also makes bees, wasps and/or yellow-jackets steer clear of you!

This is just an ingenious little trick that us Texans use because the mosquitoes down here can be as large as 747s and might be carrying “West Nile Virus,” so we can’t take any chances. After drying your laundry in the clothes dryer, instead of tossing the used dryer sheets, recycle them to use as an outdoor insect repellant!

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Since I'm a new member and make some skin care products myself, Carrie(CareKate), suggested I check out this topic in an earlier post. Wow, thanks, what a wealth of knowledge. I have a personal toner I've made and used for 2 years now I'd love to share. I can wash with any product, usually Vit C bases in the summer alternating with Vit A bases in the colder months. After cleansing, I use my toner and my skin is soft, smooth and never tight. I have dry, mature skin, especially the cheeks, corners of the nose and forehead. And tiny capillary brecks on the cheeks and large pores on chin right under the bottom lip.
This recipe really seems to help reduce the most noticeable redness and pore size. I have been a dedicated essential oil user for 5 years now, but only for myself and family.
So, on to the recipe.

3 oz Rose Hydrosol
5-7 Drops Chamomile EO
5-7 Drops Lavender EO
3 Drops Petigrain EO
5 Drops Carrot Seed oil
5 Drops Geranium, Palmarosa, or Rosewood
(your choice)
10 Drops Borage or Evening Primrose oil

Mix, shake well before each use. I mix and dispense mine from a 4 ounce metal bottle with a fine mist sprayer. I spritz on a cotton pad (balls absorb too much product) gently sweeping the face in upwards directions.

The rose hydrosol has the benefit of being very soothing to the skin in addition to having the properties of an anti-inflammatory. The Borage and Evening Primrose oils aid the dryness and tightness. Witch hazel is good for fine capillary breaks and large pores as an astringent and vaso-constrictor, but it's not a good base for dry skin like the Rose Hydrosol is. It would make a good base for oily skin.

Additional essential oils that may be used are Neroli, Sandalwood and Rose and Jasmine, which are all VERY expensive. Crying or Very sad But, a little goes a long, long way.

You can purchase the Rose Hydrosol at the addy posted here by pbsadhaka.

Quote:
For essential oils I would recommend A Garden Eastward http://addy.com/brinkley/

http://addy.com/brinkley/hydrosol.html
I've purchased from them before and from Camden-Grey, also good reputable suppliers.
http://www.camdengrey.com/

Steam Distilled Rose Hydrosol
Rosa damascena
Bulgaria

EXTRACTION: steam distillation from the fresh petals.

SKIN USE: broken capillaries, dry skin, eczema, herpes, mature and sensitive complexions, wrinkles.

SAFETY: Non-toxic, non-irritant, non-sensitizing. Not for internal use.

Hope someone finds this useful as I do.
Love to share. Very Happy

PS: Carrie, do I know you already? Do you make soap too? You seem familiar to me. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Though not technically a recipe, I thought it would be helpful to add the other clever, "alternative product solutions" we have discovered so that all of this info is grouped together in one place....

TOOTHWHITENING: Here is a cheap, yet super-effective alternative to "GoSmile," "Crest White Stripes" and other similar home tooth-whitening products:

WHAT IT IS:
Auro Ear (Wax Removal) Drops and/or GlyOxide oral hygiene product. Both of these products contain carbamide peroxide, the same active ingredient in both GoSmile and Crest White Strips which help whiten your teeth. The Auro Ear Drops contain a 6.5% percentage of carbamide peroxide (same strength as GoSmile), while GlyOxide contains a 10% percentage (just slightly less than the percentage contained in Crest White Strips). If you have ever used those Crest White Strips, you'll find that this technique is much more convenient than having to sit around with those strips on your teeth for an hour per day. Even if you have had your teeth professionally whitened by the dentist, you can use either the ear drops or Gly Oxide every day, once per day, to maintain your results.

HOW TO USE IT:
Brush teeth with desired toothpaste as normal, then spit and rinse your mouth and/or toothbrush. Squeeze 4-5 drops of either Auro ear drops of Gly Oxide onto toothbrush and brush teeth just like you would with toothpaste, concentrating on your "smile" teeth (the ones in your mouth that appear when you smile). Hold the mixture in your mouth for 1 1/2-2 minutes or as long as you can stand (don't worry, it doesn't taste bad!).

WHERE CAN I FIND IT?
There are several different brands of ear wax removal drops, including Auro and Murine. You will find these products in the eye/ear care section (with the Visine eye drops and contact lens solution items) at your local pharmacy or supermarket. Look for "Ear Wax Removal" drops and check the label for the active ingredient "6.5% Carbamide Peroxide" (note: you do NOT want to buy "Swimmer's Ear" products as they are most definitely not the same thing!). Gly Oxide will be located in the oral hygiene aisle of your supermarket or pharmacy, along with the toothbrushes, toothpaste and mouthwash items.

WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE THAT THIS WILL WORK:
Click on these links to read "testimonials" and other helpful info from other forum members who have tried these products and experienced whiter, brighter teeth: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4513&highlight=auro+ear+drops , http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6026&highlight=auro and http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5662&highlight=auro

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I hope you all had a nice holiday ( those that celebrate) I wanted to share a little find of mine. First off I have been using the Vit C serum and carekate's DH Cleanser and the ACV toner and the aspirin mask. I LOVE them all. Thank you so much. Okay I went to my local Albertsons and was looking in the section where they keep bath stuff ( it's funny because now I am reading labels like never before ) anyway I found this bottle of oil. It is called Body Essentials Massage Oil ( oooooh Very Happy ) Here are the ingredients in this order. Safflower Oil, Sunflower Oil, Tocopherol ( Vitamin E), Wheat Germ Oil, Rosemary Oil and Peppermint Oil. That's it ! It is a 8oz bottle and it was only around $5. I have used it in the carekate's cleanser and it smells just yummy. I also put just a few drops in my hand rub my hands together to warm it and put in the bottom of my hair. They only had one bottle and so far they have not gotten more. Sad
Anyway just wanted to share, maybe someone will like it. I also found that my garlic press does a wonderful job on crushing aspirin !

Have a great evening

Deb

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
the oil sounds like a good find to me. Very Happy
Also brilliant idea using the garlic press, I have not got round to trying the aspirin recipe yet but I will bear your tip in mind when I do. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Ran out of cocoa butter for my choco mocha yaya scrub bar, so I made this:

big dollop of honey
brown sugar
ground coffee
grapeseed oil (or any oil)

mix to stiffish paste and rub onto wet skin whilst in shower. Rinse off. you are soft and moisturised! your shower enclosure may look like you had a bottom explosion due to the coffee so rinse it away carefully (on the other hand if you suffer a bottom explosion, you could always say it was the scrub Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Dry shampoos are supposed to be good to absorb oil at your crown on days when you either don’t want to, or don’t have time to, shampoo your hair:

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #1:

• 1 cup of ground oatmeal
• 1 cup of baking soda

Combine ingredients and then transfer into a clean jar.

How to use:

Massage a little into the oiliest parts of your hair and allow the mixture to absorb the oil.. To remove, brush and then shake the hair.

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #2:

• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• 1 tablespoon ground almonds
• 1 tablespoon orris root

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Massage 1 teaspoon of the dry shampoo mixture into the scalp and then brush it out thoroughly. If your hair still feels greasy, repeat the procedure at least once.

D-I-Y DRY SHAMPOO RECIPE #3:

• ½ cup cornmeal or other flour
• ½ cup almond meal or other nut meal (nuts ground in a blender will do)

Combine the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Dust the hair with the shampoo, massage it gently and lightly into the scalp, then brush out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie,
Just curious...have you tried any of these dry shampoo recipes? How did you like them?

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:07 am      Reply with quote
I've tried dry shampoos before but have always had the same problem with them. If you have dark hair, the powder seems to make it look greish and dull. Years ago I saw some *colored* dry shampoos but haven't seen them since.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |