Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Essential oil scents
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 am      Reply with quote
You guys really are inspiring me so much that I'm now looking at getting some books on aromatherapy. Does anyone have some recommendations?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
You guys really are inspiring me so much that I'm now looking at getting some books on aromatherapy. Does anyone have some recommendations?

I have had my books for so long it's not funny! LOL My biggest suggestion is make sure it's written by a certified aromatherapist.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Lavender is also my favorite. I use it to calm myself after a day's work.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:31 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Skippie wrote:

I have had my books for so long it's not funny! LOL My biggest suggestion is make sure it's written by a certified aromatherapist.

Have you ever heard of these people, DM - Carol Schiller and Manuel Ortiz Braschi? They both have books that I'm thinking about purchasing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Sandalwood...fave.
Rosewood...close second
Atlas Cedar...lovely
Ylang Ylang...yum
Neroli...Ahhhhh
Frankincense....Wonderful.
Bergamot..nice
Lemongrass...fresh.

...the list goes on.

Rose germanium and Atlas cedar wood...and a few others make a pretty decent tick repellent and the dogs smell like flowers. Uh yeah...that's what the lavender is for, as I don't much care for it.

Can make a totally awesome bug repellent with the right mix....and be bug free, smell good and moisturize your skin all in one.

Cure fungi infections, repel ants...many many uses..and they work.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that I find that the essential oils scents can be too strong and bother other people around you. I plan to buy Kneipp essential oil bath to use for soothing or refreshing scents instead.

Has anyone used this line and you like it?
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Quote:
I have a funny question actually!
Since you guys (and gals) like using EO...do you eat any foods that have flowers in them?

I saw someone cooking with lavender one day on the cooking channel, Ottawa. I'm wondering how that would taste.

it tastes kind of like how lavender smells but lighter.

I eat pastries with rosewater all the time and I do not like rose taste that much...it it is kind of like eating flower petals I'd say.

But I do like the pastries from this place,so kind of put up with that.
they even have "middle eastern" ice cream that is made from a tree gum,rose water and pistachio nuts with a kind of cream and rosewater base.
-the tree gum makes the ice cream like frozen marshmallow almost...really different.

If you can find a middle eastern store in the US- those places always have cheap rose and orange blossom water.
I was surprized at how cheap rose water is at the new arab grocery store that opened near me.
it is like a large fruit and vegetable store,with a hot food counter,packaged items ect..

you can also buy dried eddible flowers online.
I know of the website Langford foods in British Colombia (Canada).
I'm getting some jams soon for my mom from there..and their products look neat.
no idea of prices or anything..you have to call for that I was told.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I just wanted to say that I find that the essential oils scents can be too strong and bother other people around you. I plan to buy Kneipp essential oil bath to use for soothing or refreshing scents instead.

I was just given a bottle of Kneipp almond blossom and that was really nice, very light scent..would get that one again

Also just had a bottle of the Spruce one and found it was very strong smelling.
I had a 20ml bottle and it saif 1 to 2 uses and for me I put in 2 mini cap fulls as it smells so strong..like a chrismas tree!

I also saw that Skincarerx and maybe other places they had a sampler with all the different travel sizes if Kneipp scents.
might be a good idea to try the different oils?

I do not like bath oils as much,prefer bath salts of bubble bath...

but these did smell nice!
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:51 am      Reply with quote
So many interesteing posts on this thread...

Skippie, i do have some aroma therapy books from long ago...but honestly prefer info i can get online at this point...

Ottawa, the ice cream sounds incredible...i'm going to add some of my dried rose petal infusion to homemade nut 'cream' (like nut milk without so much water added to it...might use pine nuts or macadamias...expensive but oh so creamy and rich..can't eat dairy..so this is my substitute..) perhaps add just a tpouch of raw unsweetened chocolate powder.. think the taste of roses and chocolate will go well together...add some intensely infused marshmallow root tea (what they used to make marshmallows from) and freeze it..and blend a little as a treat..
however, i suspect the rose water..probably made with fresh roses..would taste even better than mY infused dried rose petals (which still taste 'rosey' though)

just wanted to add though that if anyone is thinking of making rose water/tea etc. at home it's important to use organic or wildcrafted flowers since the commercial ones are heavily sprayed woith all kinds of very unhealthy chemicals (effects the people who have to pick them for a living also)...since they are not meant for consumption there afe no standards in place for safety re chemicals used to grow them

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
personally i have to be careful about using cerain strong scents since they can cancel the efects of homeopathy..and i am in the midst of a several year homeopathic protocol...i probably ideally shouldn't use any (in fact i know i shouldn't) but the effect on mY skin is just too amazing no tot use any at alL....so i diy one serum w/tamanu oil and immotelle eo..and another with rosehip seed oil and carrot eo, rosemary verbena eo, frankincense eo, rose otto eo.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped by the bookstore today and bought "The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy" by Valerie Ann Worwood. Of course, I immediately turned to the section on Wrinkles & the Aging Skin. The EOs she mentions to combat wrinkles are:

Violet leaf
Clary-sage
Fennel
Neroli
Galbanum
Lavender
Thyme
Patchouli
Yarrow
Chamomile German
Frankincense
Myrrh
Lemon
Hyssop
Carrot
Oregano
Orange
Vervaine
Rosemary
Palma rosa
Lime

She includes lots of lovely recipes not only for skin care but also for food.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Sandalwood...fave.
Rosewood...close second
Atlas Cedar...lovely
Ylang Ylang...yum
Neroli...Ahhhhh
Frankincense....Wonderful.
Bergamot..nice
Lemongrass...fresh.

...the list goes on.

Rose germanium and Atlas cedar wood...and a few others make a pretty decent tick repellent and the dogs smell like flowers. Uh yeah...that's what the lavender is for, as I don't much care for it.

Can make a totally awesome bug repellent with the right mix....and be bug free, smell good and moisturize your skin all in one.

Cure fungi infections, repel ants...many many uses..and they work.

I've heard good things about lemongrass, DragoN. Can you give me a better idea of the scent? Is it lemon-y? Does it smell like freshly mowed grass?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie, that's the primary book i used for many years...before i staRTed 'consulting' with the web!

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
Skincare wrote:

I was just given a bottle of Kneipp almond blossom and that was really nice, very light scent..would get that one again

Also just had a bottle of the Spruce one and found it was very strong smelling.
I had a 20ml bottle and it saif 1 to 2 uses and for me I put in 2 mini cap fulls as it smells so strong..like a chrismas tree!

I also saw that Skincarerx and maybe other places they had a sampler with all the different travel sizes if Kneipp scents.
might be a good idea to try the different oils?

I do not like bath oils as much,prefer bath salts of bubble bath...

but these did smell nice!

I guess you know of a store that sell Kneipp? I don't know of any in my area. Do you know of any Canadian retailers that will mail it to you in Canada? I was going to order from an American site.

Skippie, thanks for sharing the ant-aging list from the book you just bought. Maybe I will take the plunge and order Decleor Neroli oil and use it.
I guess I would apply my Vivier vitamin C serum, then Neroli, moisturizer?, then sunblock.
Do you think that would work?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:31 am      Reply with quote
Lemongrass has a strong fresh scent...it is an excellent oil to ward off mosquitoes and I also use it in my cleaning supplies.

It smells better than the Lemon citrus IMO.

It's sharp and clean... I prefer it over lemon. It is very lemony...not grassy.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Skippie, i'm so excited for you to have discovered the very powerful rejuvenating world of anti-aging eos.....

wanted to say a few things re Valerie's list of anti-aging eo's:

clary sage has slight estrogenic properties... imo it's wise to be aware of this property..i only use a drop or two per 2 oz..(forgot to mention this particular eo when i posted the eo's in my DIY serums earlier in this thread)

citrus eo's like lemon and orange eo(and i would imagine lime too) make the skin more photo-sensitive so make sure you're well protected if you decide to use them

otherwise..enjoy the adventure!

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:12 am      Reply with quote
OK...my next foray into facial rejuvenative eo therapy is blue tansy..

i've had my eye on this eo for some time..but i always hesitate to add a new eo to my formula in as much as my current Blue Tansy essential oil is ones are so effective..but this thread is inspiring me..

in terms of scent...anada apothecary describes theirs as coming upon a patch of wild blueberries in an old growth forest ...

as far as rejuvenative/regenerative qualities ananda apothecary describes it as " considered by aromatherapists to be an important oil for burned, inflamed and damaged skin, sunburns and bruises"

although my skin looks pretty fab (for my age!!!)i can always use a little more 'help'

it's suggested to use at 5% or less of a mixture..i'll probably start with a drop or 2

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:17 am      Reply with quote
whoops...not sure what happened..but i meant to say that

"i've had my eye on this eo for some time..but i always hesitate to add a new eo to my formula in as much as my current ones are so effective..but this thread is inspiring me.."

;

sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Jasminerosey,

could you, please, share your recipes that you found to be effective?

I had read so many books, and tried several recipes, but they did not seem to do much for my skin. I love oils and in general try to use natural and organic products, so to find something that satisfies that criteria and is effective is a double treat.

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
OK...my next foray into facial rejuvenative eo therapy is blue tansy..

i've had my eye on this eo for some time..but i always hesitate to add a new eo to my formula in as much as my current Blue Tansy essential oil is ones are so effective..but this thread is inspiring me..

in terms of scent...anada apothecary describes theirs as coming upon a patch of wild blueberries in an old growth forest ...

as far as rejuvenative/regenerative qualities ananda apothecary describes it as " considered by aromatherapists to be an important oil for burned, inflamed and damaged skin, sunburns and bruises"

although my skin looks pretty fab (for my age!!!)i can always use a little more 'help'

it's suggested to use at 5% or less of a mixture..i'll probably start with a drop or 2

The blue tansy sounds luscious, jasminerosey. I've been spending a lot of time looking at the oils on ananda's website. I love their descriptions - it makes me want them all. I'm glad they have samples for sale because I will be going that route until I'm sure I like a scent - except that I am planning to make carekate's decleor ylang ylang recipe. Have you ever ordered samples from ananda? I wonder how much oil you actually get.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used the Rock Rose (Cistus) oil? On the Evan Healy site it says it is firming and anti-aging and on the Ananda site is says "Blend with Green Myrtle oil, Rosehip Seed and Hazelnut oils for care for aging skin as described by Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt in Advanced Aromatherapy. Excellent for mature skin care for firming and toning."
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl, i've also seen the info about cistus on tne Ananda site..and i'm planning on trying it after i try the blue tansy....i believe cistus is a mineral ...unlike most eo's......and i've been getting really great results lately with magnesium oil...so i'm really 'into' the idea of mineral support for anti-aging at the moment.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie, since i order most of my eo's from mountainrose herbs the only ones i've actually ordered from the Ananda site are ones not carried..or out of stock... at mrh ( i've ordered rosemary verbana and rose otto and immortelle from the Ananda site...but i didn't get the sample sizes)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sigma, nice to 'see' you again.

I'm wondering what kind of results you are hoping to achieve with the eo's. I find they make my skin much smoother and 'healthy' looking...and i need to exfoliate much less often since using them (so they must be re-facilitating the natural 'turnover' of new skin cells )...

so i look younger in a 'gestalt'.. or total... kind of way... skin more glowing, etc...but they don't take away specific wrinkles or hyperpigmantation spots...so i gues it depends on what you are looking for...for me..it's the total look of clarity. luminosity, toneness that makes one look young rather than the specific 'blemishes' so to speak on our faces..

Anyway, i vary my 'recipe' a bit each time i make it..but have been using the same oils and eo's.....

i make one wih a rosehip seed oil base and one with a tamanu oil base (as carrier oils..these are quite 'oily'...but i need that for my skin type...and the fellow who owns the cellbone site once told me that rosehip seed oil helps actives penetrate deeply...)

in general it's usually said to add 15 drops of eo's per 2 oz of carrier oiL.

in the tamanu serum i add only immortelle eo (heliochrysum)..

in the rosehip seed serum i add (per 2 oz.) something like 5 drops of carrot seed eo, 2 drops of rosemary verbena (which is different than the 'normal' kind of rosemary one usually gets), 3 drops of rose otto, 3 drops of frankincense, 2 drops of clary sage

i layer the rosehip seed serum first..massage it in..then layer the ttamanu oil serum...i use diluted magnesium oil on my skin before i apply the serums...but used to use heliochrysum hydrosal....i 'top' it al off with the heliochrysum hydrosol though, stil.

hope this helps!

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Rileygirl, i've also seen the info about cistus on tne Ananda site..and i'm planning on trying it after i try the blue tansy....i believe cistus is a mineral ...unlike most eo's......and i've been getting really great results lately with magnesium oil...so i'm really 'into' the idea of mineral support for anti-aging at the moment.

Thanks, jasminerosey. Let us know when you try it! I am waiting for some hydrosols to get in stock at Evan Healy. I like to try them first so I can get an idea of smell, etc.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |