Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Eating a better way for healthy skin.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
JR,

I agree there are so many opposing theories on what works best that I personally try to incorporate a bit of all, if I really cook any vegetables thoroughly it's in a homemade soup that way I believe the nutrients are still in the broth of the soup! I honestly prefer most veggies raw but not knowing who is right about these theories I try to cover all my bases as best I can! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
DM, too bad we don't live close to each other..we could share our dishes!

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
DM, too bad we don't live close to each other..we could share our dishes!

Indeed I enjoy cooking so much it's really a passion! I am sure we could both learn a few new tricks as well! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for your replies. I guess I'll do both, lightly cook and eat raw. I got a great kale salad recipe from a friend which involves kale, sliced cooked beets, and a dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a bit of honey maybe, and grainy mustard. it is delicious with this dressing. and roasting the beets makes them very flavourful. my friend got this recipe in her weekly basket of organic vegetables she was getting delivered. this is such a great time of the year for fruits and vegetables. miss my vegetable garden!!
havana8

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
thanks for your replies. I guess I'll do both, lightly cook and eat raw. I got a great kale salad recipe from a friend which involves kale, sliced cooked beets, and a dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a bit of honey maybe, and grainy mustard. it is delicious with this dressing. and roasting the beets makes them very flavourful. my friend got this recipe in her weekly basket of organic vegetables she was getting delivered. this is such a great time of the year for fruits and vegetables. miss my vegetable garden!!

I LOVE beets so this sounds positively yummy to me, harriet. Thanks for sharing--I will have to try it. Smile
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
thanks for the information about kale. I love the taste of it but find when I put it in a smoothy and use too much it is hard to digest. Are the nutrients in kale more available when it is raw or cooked? and if cooked how do you cook it? TIA Harriet

I've steamed mine and lightly saute it with some garlic and salt.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I've done the Perricone diet off and on for years. It's low glycemic and heavy on fish. Have had a bad diet all summer, lots of pizza and ice cream.... Very Happy I feel ok though. I still have my fish and an apple for game face and lots of salads. Steamed bumpy Russian kale is also a big staple in the winter.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've been canning like crazy for the last month. I put up jars and jars of beets! Peaches: canned and frozen, blueberries, salsa, tomatoes, peach salsa - yummy, pickles.
It's a blast. I find it so relaxing and love it when the lid seals - makes a nice, satisfying, little sound.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Wow,Sister, i've never tried canning....sounds impressive... and very yummy...

i do know the sound on the lid of the mason jar from my herbal infusions after i pour in boiling water and seal the lid....

i love mason jars in general..use them for so many things...sprouting...making rejuvelac(a fermented watery grain drink)...and occasionally my own variation of kim chi.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets, as i was posting to Darkmoon, it's fun to dream about getting together and sharing our dishes in person (just a dream...but how much fun it would be to share food and skincare diy recipe's, massage techniques etc. with like minded 'sisters' on this forum)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Harriet, your recipe does sound yummy..i've been experiementing around with cooked veggies this summer (rather than eating everything raw) and i also have made leafy greens with beets...i especially like them with bitter greens like dandelion and chicory (definely an acquired taste..but very nutrient rich)...

i also like to add diy dry roasted nuts (especially pecans...but any nut or seed is great...with a little tamari soy sauce added to them while they are still warm) and serve them in the beet and greens dish.(just right before eating so they retain their crispness)

i also like to add a homemade almond 'cream' (a thick nutmilk) to this dish instead of roasted nuts at times.

Also, we're growing some herbs..and buy others at the farmers market...so i am using chives, mint, tai basil, thyme or tarragon on everything that i am making these days...including this beet/greens dish variations

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Your dish sounds dee-lish! With the diy roasted nuts and the tamari soy (I love this). And beets - ymmmmm I'd try any greens too.

I'm nowhere near the nutrition esoteric sophisticate that you are Jasminerosey but I love to try such things and incorporate things I have learned (some really good things from you) into my life. spirulina, chlorella...nettles
I have students at my college into green smoothies - kids who have never had kale or collard greens!
I am now a huge fan of spirulina and keep in freezer thanks to JR...I wish you could lecture in my Nutrition course spring semester.
Just to bask in your positive energy would be amazing. Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I would love to learn more about spirulina as I have heard it does great things. what is the best way to take it?
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote
i feel the same way about you, Sister. (it feed's the heart to imagine these forays into each other's lifes)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Harriet, Havana posted this link earlier on this thread to a previous thread on spirulina

Can spirulina help with problem skin?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37367

hope this helps to answer your questions...

i just read on another forum that a component of spirulina helps to mitigate glycination(not sure i have exactly the right word here...but it means cross-linking of the skin due to the high sugar content of eaing foods high on the glycemic index)

Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I took Spirulina and Chlorella for quite a while. I think I noticed an improvement. However, it was just too expensive to keep it up. If money is not an issue, though, I would definitely recommend it.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:34 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey. thanks for the information. I found it very helpful and will add spirulina to my diet. I had some extra demands lately and feel the need to regroup, especially in the health area.
Flannery
5% products discount

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Just a question about the Spirulina. Do you all mean the tabs or "pellets"? Or are you talking the real freshly harvested?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:27 am      Reply with quote
This web page has 3 recipes for Kale:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/browse_all_recipes?page=72
annabie

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:29 am      Reply with quote
zhoushuhappy wrote:
i eat rice with all kinds of fresh vegetables, and 3times fish a week. I like apple very much.

I think it's good. However, you should be careful with the vegetables, since it might not really fresh. Many farms used medical treatment with the plant.
amanda19
5% products discount

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
I find first and foremost, water intake is key. 8 glasses a day really helps you feel your best. Besides that, you have to come up with creative ways to eat healthy that taste great. I find it hard to eat a good breakfast so I freeze a fruit shake the night before and bring it with me to work. It starts off my day well and definitely gives me more energy throughout the day. You can put in a little bit of good quality whey protein powder and throw in rasberries, strawberries and a banana.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
amanda19 wrote:
I find first and foremost, water intake is key. 8 glasses a day really helps you feel your best. Besides that, you have to come up with creative ways to eat healthy that taste great. I find it hard to eat a good breakfast so I freeze a fruit shake the night before and bring it with me to work. It starts off my day well and definitely gives me more energy throughout the day. You can put in a little bit of good quality whey protein powder and throw in rasberries, strawberries and a banana.

I agree with amanda19. I'm good with my servings of fruit, but I still have to work on veggies. The best way I could get my full servings is by juicing them. Then I drink psyllium husk for fiber. I know, I know, if I eat the veggies whole I won't have to supplement with fiber. I just can't make myself eat that much veggies. I'm working on it, though.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, Blaze, I agree. I find myself constantly eating lately! I have to fit in so much food that I think is healthy for me that I have to force myself to eat. I'm very petite and usually don't gain weight so that's good I guess. Still, I'm pretty sure force-feeding myself is definitely NOT healthy. Rolling Eyes
catloveschanel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Alternative to Potato Chips.

Heated up Canola Oil on top of the stove, med hi. Put spinach in there, sort of flat, not all bunched up. Then I cooked my salmon over it, and I left the spinach in for awhile. It came out all crunchy like a potato chip. I even made seconds. Also, when I tire of my spinach salads at work, I now bring them home and toss them in the pan without the salmon. That works too!

crunch, crunch, crunch

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |