Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Water Secret by Howard Murad, M.D.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone read this? It looks interesting. Quick overview it says that drinking water is not enough,you have to eat more fruits and vegetables for optimal cellular hydration. Also, that muscle mass is important because muscle holds more water than fat.

http://www.thewatersecretbook.com/index.htm
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I am interested in reading that book as well, will have to pick one up. Very Happy
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Have not read it but it only makes sense that eating more fruits and veggies would be beneficial for the skin. I think in general alot of people forget that what we eat really does makes a difference in how we look.

Studies have been done on drinking lots of water and it has little effect on the skin (unless you happen to be truly dehydrated). And eating fruits and veggies does provide water.

I'm going to see if my library has this book. I'm always interested in reading about skin care. Thanks for posting.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi Gretchen,

I haven't read the book, but my personal experience definitely matches this claim: that fruits and vegetables can do more for hydration than water alone. I notice big differences based on the amounts of fruits and vegetables I eat. Green smoothies have been awesome for me Smile

And it does make sense. Ultimately, hydration is determined both by (a) water and (b) electrolytes (certain minerals like sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.)

I, too, would love to hear what people think of the book Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
If this book follows the same premise from his other books which I've read (Wrinkle Free Forever and The Cellulite Solution), he advocates eating well to repair cell and connective tissue damage. If cell walls and connective tissues are strengthened, essential hydration is retained by the body. Through proper eating/drinking, supplementation, exercise and stress reduction, he said that is the key to prevent premature aging. Of course, he has products with topical vitamins that he recommends also.
ChicitaGatita
5% products discount

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:21 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Hi Gretchen,

I haven't read the book, but my personal experience definitely matches this claim: that fruits and vegetables can do more for hydration than water alone. I notice big differences based on the amounts of fruits and vegetables I eat. Green smoothies have been awesome for me Smile

And it does make sense. Ultimately, hydration is determined both by (a) water and (b) electrolytes (certain minerals like sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.)

Hi CM - I'm intrigued by your idea of green smoothies. Can you share your favourite recipe? And how do they taste?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I am reading the book now.....thanks to the review on Flexeffect forum from several posters. I strongly encourage others to read this because we know things at a certain level but when you have more background and understanding you will constantly put it into practice. I find as I get older that I can't get by with limited sleep, stress, and lack of hydration without my face showing it...this was not the case ten or even five years ago. This book is totally changing me inside out mentally as well as in time physically. Very worth the read although it takes 50 some pages before you get to the meat of the information. Wink
Take the quiz on this page...it is very revealing
http://www.thewatersecretbook.com/hmurad-quiz.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:08 am      Reply with quote
ChicitaGatita wrote:
cm5597 wrote:
Hi Gretchen,

Hi CM - I'm intrigued by your idea of green smoothies. Can you share your favourite recipe? And how do they taste?

Hi ChicitaGatita!

I've been doing them for 6 years now (started a couple months before "Green for Life"--a book all about green smoothies--came out), but I can't take any credit for green smoothies. The idea has sort of been floating around in various forms in alternative health circles for many years now (well before my time), but generally, Victoria Boutenko (author of "Green for Life") is credited with the idea of green smoothies, and has worked tirelessly to get the message out.

If you are interested in learning more, here are three resources for you:

* "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko (1st edition is currently selling at 50% off at only $7.50 until 09/25 from here http://www.rawfamily.com/products)

* The Smoothie thread on EDS: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=35013. Toby and others have raved about the effect of green smoothies on their faces.

* "Green Smoothies Diet" by Robyn Openshaw

Hmmm....my green favorite smoothie varies from time to time...always love just pear and spring greens.

My personal formula, as I make complete meals of them, is 400-600 calories of fruit + 1/2 lb spring greens. (As a warning, this is usually too much volume for most people.) I rotate the fruit I use, and the spring greens naturally vary by what is available. I'm not a big fan of the green smoothies with kale, etc.

Here are two green smoothies that I've been eating recently, but modified for beginners:

1-1.5 bags of frozen strawberries
2 oranges (great for adding sweetness that enhances the flavor of the strawberries)
1 banana (optional)
1/8-1/4 pound of spring greens (or whatever is reasonable so that the smoothie still tastes good)

1 bag of frozen blueberries
1-2 oranges (great for adding sweetness that enhances the flavor of the berries)
1-2 handfuls of red grapes
1/8-1/4 pound of spring greens (or whatever is reasonable so that the smoothie still tastes good)

As for whether they taste good, I think so. As I eat them every single day, my cardinal rule is that they must taste good (or mostly good). I mentally can't live with forcing anything down my throat even if it's healthy. (Though my boyfriend has his daily green smoothies with 2/3 lb of greens, less fruit to mask it, plus lots of flax oil--I'm not a fan Sad).

The great thing with green smoothies is that the taste is all in your control. If they don't taste good, you can always adjust it. My advice is make sure you enjoy and look forward to eating them, and I think that is achievable for everyone, but that it just takes some experimentation.

One trick I use is that I 99% of the time just using the mineral rich spring greens....for example: http://www.ebfarm.com/Products/Salad/MixedBabyGreensSalads.aspx. These greens are much more mild in flavor in comparison to things like kale and parsley.

I hope this helps! Smile

HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I read this last month & am amazed at what a difference a few raw vegetables makes. I did this diet in college but then went on the Zone in late 20s and forgot all about juicing, etc. Was just remembering eariler today that Donna Karan, the fashion designer, juices & does raw food, really looks amazing for her age. Demi Moore does raw food also.

http://www.howcelebsdiet.com/demi-moore-does-raw-food-diet/

http://www.wmagazine.com/w/blogs/editorsblog/2009/01/15/donnas-doctor.html
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
I read this last month & am amazed at what a difference a few raw vegetables makes. I did this diet in college but then went on the Zone in late 20s and forgot all about juicing, etc. Was just remembering eariler today that Donna Karan, the fashion designer, juices & does raw food, really looks amazing for her age. Demi Moore does raw food also.

http://www.howcelebsdiet.com/demi-moore-does-raw-food-diet/

http://www.wmagazine.com/w/blogs/editorsblog/2009/01/15/donnas-doctor.html

This is so interesting that Donna Karan's doctor is Frank Lipman. I am currently reading the book referenced in the article which he retitled as "Revive Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again" and re-released in January 2010. I am also planning on doing his detox and cleanse starting in Januarywww.elevenelevenwellness.com. He suggests that people drink smoothies because there is less for the digestive system to break down. Less work for the body. More energy for you.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |