Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

how to reduce the sticki--ness/tacky--ness of a cream/lotion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has found out a way to reduce the sticky feeling of a DIY cream/lotion... I hear addition of rice powder helps, but have not tried it yet... Pls help if anyone has a secret to correct this issue!
Thank you
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi daler, I guess it would be better to know what is in your DIY!! Glycerin can sometimes cause tackiness if in excess... But the DIY is such a wide spectrum... that you must specify a bit more, I think Wink .
It would be better if you actually post what DIY you're trying out - as DIY I could think of mixing ascorbic acid with glycerin or mashed bananas with milk!!! Rolling Eyes
Joking apart, with the little info you've given about what kind of DIY you're doing... there are many DIY for different issues... I'm sure if you specify more what DIY you mean it would be easier.
Hugs.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:56 am      Reply with quote
The easiest and surefire way to do this is to use at least 60% water in your emulsions. Most commercial creams are 60-90% water which is why they feel so light and absorb quickly. DIY cream recipes on the other hand tend to call for a lot of oil & wax which makes the emulsion much heavier and tackier. Stickiness often comes from wax esters while greasiness from oils. So if your cream is sticky you are probably using too much wax. Beeswax feels particularly tacky when used in anything except the smallest quantities.

You will also find that some oils feel drier on the skin than others. If you want a light cream be sure to use only the lightest carrier oils such as apricot kernel and sweet almond oil. The heavy oils (like avocado) should only be used in 5-10% quantities of the final emulsion.

5% products discount

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:47 am      Reply with quote
I know this problem- it is why I am not experimenting with my DIY potions anymore- i always tend to spoil it (I cannot help overdoing it) and it never works!
Instead I tend to improve drugstore cosmetics! In particular I love Olay because of smooth finish and high silicone content.
I love regenerist serum the most which I am improving by adding 3% of VitB3 and a bit of hyaluronic acid powder( both diluted in little amount of rose or orange water) and black cumin oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea why I never recived e-mails re anyone responding to this post of mine! Thank you very much for all your replies; I did figure out a way to reduce the sticki--ness by adding calcium pantothenate , an accidental discovery! It's working pretty good so far!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |