Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

In what condition, should I increase the % of Retin A?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carforum
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Retin A for a year, and I am using 0.025%. I want to know when should I increase the percentage of Retin A?
Thanks for help

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 am      Reply with quote
You don't have to increase the strength. If you're satisfied with the results you're getting stick with what you're using. If you're not satisfied then try increasing. Be aware though that increasing strength may result in increased irritation.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 am      Reply with quote
You don't have to move up at all, and if your skin is not iritated from that strength, there's no reason to move up. It will deliver results. Some argue that the lower strengths deliver the same results as the higher ones. The skin can only absorb so much retin A no matter what strength you use!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I was just wondering the very same thing! I've been using 0.25% for many years, and wanted to try micro 0.4%. Eventually, I bought several tubes from ADC in different strengths, and plan to use them strategically, like if I want to induce a light peel, use the 0.5% cream I purchased. I will continue to use the 0.25% daily for the most part, since it works for me.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
carforum
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for help.

Actually, I am quite happy with the result of using 0.025 Retin A, I can see the differences every time when I use it. I think I will keep using 0.025 then.

What about Vitamin C? I am using Vivier 10%, I am happy with the result too. Is the okay to continue using 10% Vit C?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I ran across this study comparing .025 retin A to .1%. Here are the key points:

Results
Both 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced statistically significant overall improvement in photoaging of the face compared with vehicle; there were no clinically or statistically significant differences in efficacy between the two concentrations of tretinoin. After 48 weeks, 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced similar statistically significant epidermal thickening (by 30% and 28%, respectively) compared with vehicle (11% decrease) and increased vascularity (by 100% and 89%, respectively) compared with vehicle (9% decrease). By various analyses, irritant side effects (erythema and scaling) were statistically significantly greater with 0.1% tretinoin than with 0.025% tretinoin. No significant changes occurred in any immunologic markers when tretinoin and vehicle treatments were compared.

Conclusions
Tretinoin 0.1% and 0.025% produce similar clinical and histologic changes in patients with photoaging, despite significantly greater incidence of irritation with the higher concentration. The separation between clinical improvement and irritation suggests that mechanisms other than irritation dominate tretinoininduced repair of photoaging in humans.

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/131/9/1037
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
In my opinion, you don't need to increase the strength if you are already happy with the results that you are getting. You have to pay a bit more for a higher strength but why pay more? You have to remember that after getting the results that you want, you still need to maintain it for life.... Take your time...

carforum wrote:
I have been using Retin A for a year, and I am using 0.025%. I want to know when should I increase the percentage of Retin A?
Thanks for help
Nirasha
5% products discount

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:34 am      Reply with quote
you can increase the strength if you feel you arent peeling as much as you would like to.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Nirasha wrote:
you can increase the strength if you feel you arent peeling as much as you would like to.

I don't necessarily think that peeling is an indication of effectiveness. With any Retin-A strength, you will peel initially. But the premise is that as the skin adjusts to the drug, you will eventually stop peeling. This has certainly been my experience. I don't think that anyone wants peeling skin continually.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:

Conclusions
Tretinoin 0.1% and 0.025% produce similar clinical and histologic changes in patients with photoaging, despite significantly greater incidence of irritation with the higher concentration. The separation between clinical improvement and irritation suggests that mechanisms other than irritation dominate tretinoininduced repair of photoaging in humans.

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/131/9/1037

I've read this comparison as well and believe its findings. I started using retin-a 3 1/2 years ago at the .025% strength. For about 8 or 9 months, I had good results. During that time, I felt I should increase my dose. I amped up to .05% and then to .1%. After a couple of years, my face was a peely-looking mess. I concluded I became allergic/sensitive to something in it and quit using it. About a month ago, I decided to try it again with these things in mind: use just the .025%, and use only a pea-sized amount (I think I subconsciously started using more than this also, which contributed to my problem). I'm having no problems at all and am happy with my results. I learned my lesson. I get mine from 4 Corners Pharmacy and was so happy when they started carrying the gel formulation. I just got my new tube yesterday -- a whopping 60 grams for $45. I'm a happy camper!

5% products discount

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
you may do that as long as your skin can tolerant 0.1% one. anyway, i would still keep one tube of 0.025% one in hand just in case the skin is sensitive occationally.
zhoushuhappy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 am      Reply with quote
you don't have to increase, your skin now is compliant with the cream, but if you increase, maybe your skin will be peel or red.
sue09
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I started with 0.025% about 3 months ago. I went up to 0.05% after 6 weeks as I saw no redness or peeling and I have still not had any adverse reaction. I would be reluctant to go any higher than this though and just hope that I will start to see improvements.
I think you need to do what your skin is telling you is right.
Nirasha
5% products discount

Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
thanks you guys for all this info Smile
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2015 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Conmening to read later. 😃

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |