Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY ascorbyl palmitate, vitamin A and C gel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
As remarked in other topics, every form of vitamin C has its own merits.
Ascorbyl Palmitate is easy to come by, but for DIY there are a few things to keep in mind to make a workable product. It can dissolve in oil, but it takes a bit of heat and some emulsifier to get there. If it isn't dissolved it won't do much on your skin.
This is how, after a lot of trial and error, I do it.

18 grams of oil (I use a combination of rosehip and avocado)
2 grams of hydrolized lecithin (guess ordinary lecithin would work as well)
2 grams of vit. E oil
3 grams of ascorbyl palmitate (very fluffy powder)

Combine the oils, lecithin and powder and gently heat it in a double boiler while stirring, to dissolve the powder.
When dissolved, remove from heat. Add 2 grams of retinyl palmitate liquid and stir in.

Pour into a jar (not a bottle). When cooled, the ascorbyl palmitate will cause it to become a gel. So don't use a bottle with a narrow neck, the gell will become quite solid!
Add too much powder and the mixture will stay gritty (and the gritty powder will not do anything on your skin). 10 percent is about the max I could manage to dissolve.

Of course this recipe is easy to adapt. More vit. A, or add some Q10, or an essential oil or two. But this is the basic version.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Great recipe. Do you use this when dermarolling? It sounds like it could work well for that.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this. Smile What is this like to apply please, the recipe reads like an ointment not a gel?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:41 am      Reply with quote
I use this after dermarolling, I like it because there is no preservative or irritating chemical in it, only the things I want in there.

Firefox, when cooled down this becomes a gel. When you heat it, it liquifies again. That's because of the palmitate. So what you have is a gel that spreads very easily because it melts on your skin and feels like an oil.
The colour isn't very attractive - the avocado oil and the lecithin give it a green-yellow colour.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:

Firefox, when cooled down this becomes a gel. When you heat it, it liquifies again. That's because of the palmitate. So what you have is a gel that spreads very easily because it melts on your skin and feels like an oil.
The colour isn't very attractive - the avocado oil and the lecithin give it a green-yellow colour.

Thanks for your reply. Funny colours I can deal with - there is red palm oil in my refrigerator! Laughing Sounds like an ointment with a relatively low melting point. Gels generally have a high water content and you haven't used any? I thought you might have missed out some ingredients.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:09 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for recipe Lotusesther! Smile You said "ascorbyl palmitate" in the ingredients list, and then you also used "retinyl palmitate" in the directions. Did you use both or was it just a typo and you only used one of them?
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:16 am      Reply with quote
Both, it's a vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) and C (ascorbyl palmitate) gel. Or ointment. Jelly.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Both, it's a vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) and C (ascorbyl palmitate) gel. Or ointment. Jelly.

Oh right, as per the title. Sorry! I multi-task too much and miss things. Laughing I was confused because the retinyl palmitate wasn't listed as one of the ingredients.

A gel/ointment/jelly sounds nice and particularly soothing! Smile
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:58 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther, where do you purchase your retinyl palmitate, ascorbyl palmitate and vitamin e?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:59 am      Reply with quote
LE,

Is there a reason you don't use the oil based retinyl palmitate?

BFG
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:13 am      Reply with quote
But I do use oil based retinyl palmitate!

Ascorbyl palmitate you can buy at any vitamin store. Retinyl palmitate I bought from a local shop.

Mind you, ascorbyl palmitate is not considered the most effective c-derivative even though Perricone has used it extensively in the past (lots of patents) and Jan Marini's C-Esta line is based on it. But it's very gentle on the skin and helps to fade age spots.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Lotusesther. Smile What about your vitamin e?

I can't find any retinyl palmitate darnit. hmm
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 am      Reply with quote
That's odd. As far as I know most DIY suppliers carry it.
You could substitute it with retinyl acetate.

Vitamin E is a staple in DIY skin care, you can find that one everywhere.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
That's odd. As far as I know most DIY suppliers carry it.
You could substitute it with retinyl acetate.

Vitamin E is a staple in DIY skin care, you can find that one everywhere.

Thanks Lotusesther. I can't decide which form of vitamin e to go with.

I was wanting to use retinyl palmitate because I think you told me you can use it without getting broken caps from it! I'm not sure if retinyl acetate is safe for broken caps.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I don't get broken caps from it (as I did from retinol) but everyone is different, so this doesn't have to mean that your skin will like it.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy Today I made a new batch and thought to speed things up a bit in dissolving the c-palmitate I'd use my lovely battery operated mini whisk.
So now I have 2 jars, instead of 1, of not jelly/gel, but mousse!
I'll use it up but I don't think it's a very good idea to use a whisk, all that air won't help with shelf life.
It looks very cool though Very Happy
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Very Happy Today I made a new batch and thought to speed things up a bit in dissolving the c-palmitate I'd use my lovely battery operated mini whisk.
So now I have 2 jars, instead of 1, of not jelly/gel, but mousse!
I'll use it up but I don't think it's a very good idea to use a whisk, all that air won't help with shelf life.
It looks very cool though Very Happy

Hi Lotusesther, It looks like you have been using the original recipe about 2 months. May I ask what kind of results you have seen and do you only use this after dermarolling? Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi CookieD, I can't truly tell what is doing what in my skincare. I use this as a night serum and after rolling.
Floralouise

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I am new to the dyi world. I want to incorporate this wonderful product in my cream and found this nice thread! Problem: do I dissolve my VAP (Vitamin A Palmitate) in Vita E first, heat up the oil, lecithin, and C ester, Then add the two mixes together after cooling? I guess I need step by step. PS: I had always dissolved my CEster in Beeswax, but I did not have any and tried a small amount of Gray Goose Vodka; it turned out beautifully.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |