Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

dairy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I added dairy back to my diet last year after avoiding it for most of the last 20 years. I've been drinking milk daily and am wondering if I want to continue doing so. Although I do not seem to have an allergy to it, it does seem to be causing a phantom bloating and subtle weight gain that I don't like.

My reason for avoiding it in the 2000s was something called the blood type diet. Dairy is considered a less ideal protein source for my blood type which is O. I'm wondering if there are other blood type Os who are able to tolerate milk, or if it is a food you avoid.
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
I would use the milk to make yogurt instead. I ferment mine for 24 hours and it breaks down most of the lactose so it's easier to digest. That would probably take care of the bloating. The longer fermentation time also produces a higher probiotic content than commercial yogurt. You will never want store bought yogurt again after you make your own.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Type O and I love yogurt and cheese. I hated milk as a child unless it was chocolate milk. I make chocolate pudding, love Haagen Dazs. I gave up dairy about ten years ago and switched to soy. Just because. Then I was diagnosed hypothyroid so no more soy. Can't say I've noticed anything better or worse with all the changes.

Maybe you are lactose intolerant? Maybe switch to Lactaid and see if there is a difference.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
It's not too bad. I'm a normal weight/BMI (19) for my height, and have never felt totally well off milk, so I will probably continue to drink. I tried Lactaid and like it; it has a kind of chalky sweet taste.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
I bought Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook, It's All Good, and she mentioned switching from cow dairy to goat and sheep dairy due to her kids' allergy. I just went to Whole Foods and bought several different brands of goat and sheep yogurt to replace my cow Greek yogurt. I also bought goat gouda at Trader Joe's. Seems to me I usually get bloated and have mild indigestion after cow dairy. I need to compare. Unfortunately non-cow dairy is more expensive so I hope as more people demand it, the supply will increase and the price will go down.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Over the weekend I remembered a book I heard about a few years ago, Devil in the Milk by an Australian named Keith Woodford:
http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Milk-Illness-Health-Politics/dp/1603581022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370280145&sr=8-1&keywords=devil+in+the+milk

He says people don't tolerate A1 milk because it contains something called beta-casomorphin-7 (BCM-7) which has narcotic-like effects. So, no more American cow's milk for me.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE sheep yogurt! No goat aftertaste, even better than cow yogurt. More protein and calcium, too. A little more expensive but worth it. If more of you bought it then there would be more competition in the marketplace and prices would drop. Don't take my word for it. Go to Whole Foods and get some! Mine is from Bellwether Farms in the beige container. Yummy!
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Gretchen, I read somewhere that the breed of cows most affected by the A1 mutation are the Holsteins (which unfortunately is the majority of what is in America).
Would have to be tested to be sure but, apparently if you can find milk that is exclusively produced from a pure breed of Brown swiss, Guernsey, Ayrshire, or Jersey cow you actually have a chance of it not having that A1 mutation.

Also, like SoftSkin has mentioned about Sheep yogurt, I think the milk from Goats or Sheeps doesn't have this A1 mutation.
So, maybe you don't need to avoid all milk, you just have to find the right breed of cow or go with goat/sheep milk.
But do more research of course to be sure.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting about the breed of cows. I think clotted cream comes from Jersey cows, which supposedly have the richest milk. I wonder if Whole Foods sells by breed?
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I added dairy back to my diet last year after avoiding it for most of the last 20 years. I've been drinking milk daily and am wondering if I want to continue doing so. Although I do not seem to have an allergy to it, it does seem to be causing a phantom bloating and subtle weight gain that I don't like.

My reason for avoiding it in the 2000s was something called the blood type diet. Dairy is considered a less ideal protein source for my blood type which is O. I'm wondering if there are other blood type Os who are able to tolerate milk, or if it is a food you avoid.

Mmm it definitely sounds like you are intolerant to it. Blood type aside, most people do not possess the enzyme needed to digest milk. My mum is a blood type A and she does not tolerate it well either. I am a blood type O and I definitely do not tolerate milk, yoghurt or whey protein. Am not that great with cheese either but no where near as bad as milk.

My question to you would be why have you started drinking milk again?
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I've gone back and forth for years, either totally dairy-free or just goat products or some kefir, and actually have not drank cow's milk regularly since June of 1990. I added back last year after reading many posts in the Ray Peat community that people are able to tolerate milk after fixing various health problems (leaky gut, hormonal imbalance etc.)

A1 beta-casein I've read is actually 20 something times worse than gluten. Australia has A2 milk; it would be great if something here shifted so we could get it also.... You know, like awareness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJMUFavgh64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW4s6Ku0XAc
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I recently had a big dish of ice cream and didn't feel any different than I did before or during my dairy free period. I think the key is to alternate what you eat.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know much about the blood type diet. But my sister is type O and she eats dairy (mostly milk and cheese) every single day. She has several diet related chronic health issues, so there's probably some merit to it.

I personally don't consume much dairy because I think it's strange for adult mammals to consume it.

Razz
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |