Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Differing opinions/negative reviews
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I have been thinking of starting a thread at EDS about differing opinions/negative reviews. It seems to me that the last few months when you ask questions about a product or anything that can be misconstrued as a negative comment, suddenly your the bad guy. Some members or vendors think that if you don't like a product you are somehow attacking them. They internalize you not liking a product to not liking them or their way of thinking.

Now there are good ways and bad ways of expressing your opinions. Obviously the more negative and personal you get, you should expect to get a like kind of response back. This doesn't foster any air of cooperation or goodwill.

Last year I did a comparison between ReAura and Tria. There was a lot of back and forth about the advantages and disadvantages of each laser. I am not sure if today I could do that same review without someone claiming I was slamming one or the other.

I think one of the great things about this site is the sharing of information and ideas. Lately
I feel that if you aren't raving about a product, then don't bother with a review. EDS becomes pretty worthless at that point to me. I can go to a lot of different sites if I just want to see great reviews. Where the website deletes any negative feedback. What are your thoughts? Am I imagining this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I would have to agree to an extent...things seem to have become more about the people (their personalities, feelings, etc.) as opposed to the products.

I would like people to be able to present their views without others getting defensive. We can always agree to disagree, right? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm happiest to get a balanced, dispassionate review. Then I can make up my own mind about the product, having heardvseveral voices each giving a perspective, which gives a rounded picture. I dont mind if a review is positive or negative, so much as informative.

I think it helps enormously to know who is giving the review: their age and skin type, their responsiveness or difficulties.

Honesty and a useful amount of info is all that is needed to make for a good review.

I dont think a questioning mind is unwelcome here at EDS, not at all.

If there is a sense of closing of ranks at all, then there must be, somewhere along the line, a sense of there being an attack. A negative review, if it is honest and open, is not an attack.
An attack will result in defensiveness, this is human nature. Wink
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
I have been thinking of starting a thread at EDS about differing opinions/negative reviews. It seems to me that the last few months when you ask questions about a product or anything that can be misconstrued as a negative comment, suddenly your the bad guy. Some members or vendors think that if you don't like a product you are somehow attacking them. They internalize you not liking a product to not liking them or their way of thinking.

Now there are good ways and bad ways of expressing your opinions. Obviously the more negative and personal you get, you should expect to get a like kind of response back. This doesn't foster any air of cooperation or goodwill.

Last year I did a comparison between ReAura and Tria. There was a lot of back and forth about the advantages and disadvantages of each laser. I am not sure if today I could do that same review without someone claiming I was slamming one or the other.

I think one of the great things about this site is the sharing of information and ideas. Lately
I feel that if you aren't raving about a product, then don't bother with a review. EDS becomes pretty worthless at that point to me. I can go to a lot of different sites if I just want to see great reviews. Where the website deletes any negative feedback. What are your thoughts? Am I imagining this?

Like bethany, I agree, to an extent, but I definitely dispute that this is a new phenomenon...here on EDS or on any other forum. I came out of lurking here because of my mid-life crisis in which I decided to spend my 401K on my face Laughing, but really, this pattern has been around for a long time and is one of the reasons I never posted much until recently.

I like to see unbiased, fact-based reviews, too. But I also like to see some allowances for other people's experience, and do not like seeing anyone denigrated or their intelligence obliquely insulted because they don't buy into another's point of view. I've noticed *that* a lot in some of the threads lately.

In both negative and positive posts there can also be a bullying or hectoring tone, and a "mob" mentality where a few posters will just jump in and basically attack the opposing viewpoint. Like catski said, an attack will result in defensiveness. Perception of an attack can also bring others into the situation who might not otherwise have joined, "swinging" for whatever side they believe is right. The melee ensues.

That said, IMHO it's just forums. It will pass. I've never been on a forum where this *didn't* happen, and sometimes it happens over much stupider stuff than gets argued here. Since written words are not accompanied by body language and other non-verbal cues, I think it's just the nature of the beast. Emoticons can only go so far in conveying the nonverbals.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Bethany. A review is just someone's opinion, it isn't right or wrong.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 am      Reply with quote
I think Yubs nailed it. A bullying or hectoring tone, or doubting the veracity of someone's input because it doesnt tally with your own experience, questioning the intelligence of those that dont agree with you...this is the type of stuff that drags discussion downward and results in non productive to-ing and fro-ing which is essentially nothing more than bickering.

Again, this is NOT to do with negative reviews or open questions, it's more insidious than that, and definitely not to do with sharing information, good or bad, but is just interpersonal failiure of goodwill. I am quite sure it is an internet phenomenon. It wouldnt happen if we were all sitting together talking in person.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

Again, this is NOT to do with negative reviews or open questions, it's more insidious than that, and definitely not to do with sharing information, good or bad, but is just interpersonal failiure of goodwill. I am quite sure it is an internet phenomenon. It wouldnt happen if we were all sitting together talking in person.

Quite honestly the more I think about it, I think it has more to do with cliques.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
It's my opinion that we should be 100% completely honest with ourselves and admit that there are few, if any, industries more dishonest and rife with unadulterated BS than the skincare and beauty industry. It's for this very reason that the US Govt has a stack of regulations nearly a mile high governing what kind of claims can be made, how they can be made and what defines a cosmetic, etc.

I was just at a skincare/beauty conference where sellers were making claims right and left that we all here would recognize as patently false....but you know what? there was nobody there to stop them and the consumers and buyers are none the wiser.

I work in the widget industry and I attend widget conferences. I can only imagine what would happen if some of the widget makers made claims that were not supportable or their products didn't work - they would be kicked off the conference floor or the orders would stop and they would soon be out of business.....but that just doesn't happen in skincare because much of it is smoke and mirrors and nobody wants to stand up and dispute them on it....anyone who thinks otherwise is not well informed.

Sellers and promoters post here frequently and are often quite helpful - until the tough questions start. Suddenly, they disappear. You can guess why.

I guess some questions could be interpreted as being "mean"....but business should be business, it's not personal.. I think the moderators do a good job here myself.

What did our grandparent's say? if you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen.

That said, I find most posters here to be a friendly and amiable bunch and quite helpful.

Now, if you want to start talking restaurant reviews....... Bad Grin

BFG
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
catski wrote:

Quite honestly the more I think about it, I think it has more to do with cliques.

I think cliques inevitably lead to problems. We have to function as a community where its all for one and one for all.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |