Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Better alternative to bread.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:33 am      Reply with quote
We all know bread is bad for skin.
I even had an assistant at a bakers shop tell me that she never eats bread!(i guess she knows the facts from inside).And recommend to eat instead the following.

So there is this recipe i really love.
Its called dakos and it is barley crackers that you stuff things above them.

Vegans might want to skip the cheese and add others vegetables(like onions).

Here is the recipe.

Quote:
Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 of a large round barley rusk (about 5 inches diameter)
1 large or 2 small ripe tomatoes, coarsely grated (discard skin)
2-3 heaping tablespoons of feta cheese or aged myzithra, crumbled or grated
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper
Greek oregano (rigani)
Preparation:

Run the rusk under a spray of water (about 4-6 tablespoons) to moisten. Grate the tomato with a vegetable grater (or the large grate on a multi-grater) into a strainer over a bowl so most of the liquid drains off.

Spread the grated tomato on the rusk and top with cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and a good amount of oregano, and drizzle with olive oil.

Yield: One rusk serves 1 as a light meal, 2-4 as a meze.

Notes:

Aged myzithra cheese is the traditional cheese for this dish on Crete.
Some like to add a couple of thin slices of bell pepper and/or onion. They aren't part of the original recipe, but can be used if desired.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've always made my own breads. I know what's in them and use wholegrains.
Nevertheless, I limit myself to 2 slices a day. I would never touch refined flours unless I was starving.
I am known for my great skin.
I've even had women come up to me in a store to ask me about a product (I've been mistaken for an employee more than once in the summer: it happens even at the library!) and they comment on my beautiful skin.
But a lot of bread is another matter. I also drink smoothies made with kale and sprouted broccoli.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Yea, too much wheat is bad. Really, it's not the same wheat that our grandparents grew and ate.

I've been meaning to try Spelt for an occasional treat, but I mostly just stay away from bread. It was hard to get used to going without it, but it's worth it, you feel so much better if you leave out wheat products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to be gluten-free you cannot eat barley, rye or wheat.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:

It is really difficult to have a gluten free diet. Any tips?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
It is difficult because it's in a lot of processed foods.

I am not entirely gluten-free, but I avoid it when I can. Gluten free bread just doesn't taste or feel right to me, so when I want garlic toast or something like that, I use real bread. But one thing I like to have instead of regular crackers or chips are raw flax crackers - made with ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, salt and herbs and "uncooked" in a dehydrator. You can cook them in the oven too at about 200 but they won't be considered raw then. They're pretty tasty - make a nice open face "sandwich" with avocado slices and tomato.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
SoftSkin wrote:

It is really difficult to have a gluten free diet. Any tips?

Stores like Wegmans and Whole Foods have gluten-free foods sections.

Even stores like Giant have a section that sells "health foods" and you can find gluten-free foods.

There are plenty of ideas within your reach.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Nonie, that was SO COOL! Love that site, bookmarked!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Gluten free diet tip- get to know the products at the company Udi's. They make a mean pizza crust and several varieties of bread and bagels. This will get you through the first few weeks till you re-learn how to cook. I don't miss eating gluten one bit and find the diet as easy to follow as any other. Spend more time in the kitchen and really get to know the ingredients going into your meal, it really is re-learning how to cook since the parameters have changed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
When I went gluten free for a couple of months I found it relatively easy. I craved pasta for a while but that was only because it had become a habit of mine to buy 10/$10 Michelina frozen pasta for work lunch.

However, I wasn't crazy about the gluten free substitutes when I ate them. I seemed to get indigestion probably because it was made of things like tapioca starch, potato starch, rice flour and other stuff with little nutritional value. The texture was either like styrofoam or like a brick.

I am eating normally now. I wish more ancient wheat type products were available because I'm guessing you'd get the taste and satisfaction of wheat without anything that might cause problems. If there is consumer demand, I'm sure we will get it.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Here's an article (one among many) about modern wheat and what is wrong with it. Excerpt:

Quote:
For 10,000 years, we cultivated wheat, stored it, milled it and consumed it. The system worked, and it nourished civilization. Then, in the industrial era, we changed things.

First we invented mechanical technologies to turn wheat into barren white flour. Then, we invented chemical and genetic technologies to make it resistant to pests, draught and blight and easier to harvest, dramatically increasing yield per acre. And, while we were tweaking genetics, we also figured out how to increase glutens for better “baking properties” (fluffier results).

So, put another way: We have mutant seeds, grown in synthetic soil, bathed in chemicals, then deconstructed, pulverized to fine dust, bleached and chemically treated to create a nutritionally void industrial filler that no other creature on the planet will eat. And we wonder why it might be making us sick?

http://www.grainstorm.com/pages/modern-wheat

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
At least we can buy organic wheat.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Oooooo. Nice bump!

I don't eat much wheat these days myself, except for wheat grass. I don't see the point. Tons of carbs and very little nutrient density. Just seems like a bad idea now that we know more about glycation.
SweetishBlonde
5% products discount

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting about the raw flax crackers which sound really good. I found a recipe on Google.

I do not eat bread very often because 1) I get a bloated wheat belly from it and 2) I tend to watch my carb intake.

My late grandma was born in 1902 and died in 1993. During the last 10 years of her life she always commented on how food - bread in particular - tasted different than it did when she was young. At the time I thought it was her aging sense of taste, but in recent years I have come to believe it may have been the frankenfood so prevalent in mainstream grocery stores.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
SweetishBlonde wrote:
Thank you for posting about the raw flax crackers which sound really good. I found a recipe on Google.

I do not eat bread very often because 1) I get a bloated wheat belly from it and 2) I tend to watch my carb intake.

My late grandma was born in 1902 and died in 1993. During the last 10 years of her life she always commented on how food - bread in particular - tasted different than it did when she was young. At the time I thought it was her aging sense of taste, but in recent years I have come to believe it may have been the frankenfood so prevalent in mainstream grocery stores.

If you can find organic .Because to be honest brown bread causes less inflammation than commercial barley crackers.

Anyway,everything is poisones nowdays.Your grandmother was totally right.I looked into the sky yesterday and show a load of chemtrails-air gases (it doesnt matter what it is cause either way all this stuff goes down to us with the rain).

So i am stopping this diet researching.We need soul these days.And thats my aim.
So i am going to keep it simple,with high carb vegan(lots of fruits) kelp for the iodine and herbs.
I remember myself being numb on meat and processed diet,so its really the last thing people want these days,even if some are benefit from them.Numbness is the cause of all of this.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |