Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen Recommendations!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I truly love this topic, but it always gives me a headache Bad Grin

BFG Cool
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:

Just an update, I had the chance to use both the Suntegrity and Banana Boat physical sunscreens I mentioned in a prior post, in some heavy duty sun last week while boating. I am really happy with both. No sunburns with either. Several of the guys used the Banana Boat, including two who are very fair, no burns for them either! At $9 for a 4oz tube from Amazon, it's a deal!

ShastaGirl, how do those suncreens differ in terms of consistency? Which one is more matte?
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi gang,

Just wanted to chime in with some reviews of new zinc sunscreens ones I ordered. Alas, they're not raves, but hopefully I can save you some money!

Beauty Without Cruelty's facial moisturizer with CoQ10 (spf 17) is what I've come to expect from a typical zinc sunscreen: thick with a nice white cast, impossible to spread on skin if it is at all damp. White cast pretty much stays put. Using this on my arms and hands now for the bike commute home from work.

Think Sport/Live Strong is a little better in that it rubs in more, so there's eventually less of a white cast--but it takes effort. I am not wild about practically pulling at my skin to get it rub in, especially on my face! Good enough for the body though, and I think it would stand up at the beach (though I haven't tried it yet myself, so no guarantees--it seems thick enough though!). Little bit greasy.

I had an old tube of Burnout that I compared these to, and it seems to be of a similar ilk. Wondering if it's because of the age, but I couldn't get the Burnout to rub in well either...

A few I'm thinking of trying a few others for daily face use:

Badger Daily (a new formula for them), see video of how it rubs in: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-404681-badger-daily-sunscreen-lotion-aloe-vera-30-spf-4-oz?green=7A9E2791-C4AC-50D2-BDB7-B5BABF74A3A0&.

Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal Lotion (SPF 15): It has zinc (7.5%) and titanium dioxide (2%). I tried a little on my hand at the store, and it seemed to rub in well enough with a lighter texture. I wish the SPF were higher, but for use under makeup, this might work.

Raw Skin Ceuticals
. Not sure how they're calling this SPF 45--12% blend of micronized titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. But again, I'll take SPF 15-20 for my face right now if I'm inside all day. Bonus: price point is awesome! http://www.rawskinceuticals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=sc-45-120-70

Loving Naturals. Safemama.com says the baby version goes on clear, which would be amazing at 24% non-nano zinc. Reviews on Amazon are mixed.

Anyone have personal experience with any of the above? Would love to hear about it! TIA!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:

Just an update, I had the chance to use both the Suntegrity and Banana Boat physical sunscreens I mentioned in a prior post, in some heavy duty sun last week while boating. I am really happy with both. No sunburns with either. Several of the guys used the Banana Boat, including two who are very fair, no burns for them either! At $9 for a 4oz tube from Amazon, it's a deal!

ShastaGirl, how do those suncreens differ in terms of consistency? Which one is more matte?

The Banana Boat is more matte. The suntegrity has some shine to it (at least for me). The Banana Boat doesn't seem to have any shine and doesn't seem greasy once it dries. It is a mix of zinc and titanium so that is probably why.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
The Banana Boat is more matte. The suntegrity has some shine to it (at least for me). The Banana Boat doesn't seem to have any shine and doesn't seem greasy once it dries. It is a mix of zinc and titanium so that is probably why.

Now that it is summer the Suntegrity suncreen gives me a shine as well.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have just bought the Banana Boat Natural Reflect SPF 50 from Rexall Pharmacy Plus in Canada for 11.99 CAD. Indeed it is very matte and leaves less white cast than the Suntegrity suncreen. And it is much cheaper.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:16 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
CookieD wrote:
Here is a very long 5 part series about different sunscreens that is worth reading about if you get the chance.

The author ends up liking physical sunscreen/inorganic best but this is a quote I have a question about.

"However, in terms of UVB protection, TiO2 is significantly better than ZnO! This study (5) suggests that ZnO can’t achieve an SPF of higher than 10, while TiO2 reached an SPF of 38. While these numbers aren’t absolute, they do support the above mentioned claim."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18271305

Does anyone have full access to this study instead of the Abstract? I have been using some sunscreens with only ZO and some with TI and ZO mixed. It would seem from this study that the mixed sunscreens would provide better overall (both UVA and UVB) protection then just ZO alone.
This might explain why I can tan while wearing some ZO only sunscreens. Thanks.

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/09/06/are-inorganic-sunscreens-better-than-organic-ones-part-iv-level-of-protection-and-practicality/

Don't think it's just this study. I've seen a couple other papers that show solid data how zinc alone (or most filters alone, anyway) offers significantly inferior protection compared to same % zinc combined with other filters. The spectrophotometer graphs show that the UVA wavelenths portion of combined zinc+titanium or zinc+oxtinoxate exceeds the graphs for zinc, titanium or oxtinoxate alone. UVB protection shoots sky high as well. But there are different kinds of both titanium and zinc that are used in sunscreens and they don't all perform the same.
Obviously, sunscreen vendors aren't interested in a truly educated customer. Least they start demanding the good (and expensive) brand name Japanese or European physical filters in their sunscreens. It's easier to show some oversimplified slides that say, zinc is enough, rest is fluff. And then just mix up some zinc. Could be good, could be bad. Without some actual spectrophotometer data - hard to guess.

It's not just sunscreen manufacturers that dislike educated consumers. I suppose that most corporations (except maybe Google) are like that.

That's one reason that I'm so glad about the current open access movement.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Pratima is a nice cosmetically elegant zinc oxide SS without chemicals but has been OOS forever. They plan on having it back Oct 14 this year they say. Not a good one for sports or beach but its a a good daily moisturizer type SS and doesnt show up white or greasy. Only available in USA.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
lancome uv expert spf 50 pa+++
helena rubinstein premium uv spf50 pa+++
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:23 am      Reply with quote
I am somewhat negligent about applying sunscreen. I use C serum and other things but bad about regular sunscreen. I had my skin looked at under 'that light' and did not have bad reviews of terrible sun damage. The derm was an obagi seller and did not recommend the regime to me. Anyone else had this happen?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone used MVO kids sunscreen and can provide a review?

http://www.mvorganics.com/products/kid-safe-screen-spf-25

It received a good score in the 2014 EWG reviews.
http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/566214/Marie_Veronique_Organics_Kid_Safe_Screen%2C_SPF_25%2B/

I've used their face screen tinted sunscreen and like it but i've never tried this one.

It has no aloe for those concerned about that. Ingredients:
Camellia sinensis (green and white tea), non-nano zinc oxide, capric/capryllic triglycerides (fractionated coconut oil), Persea americana (avocado oil), Galactoarabinan, Tocopherol (vitamin E), Mangifera indica (mango butter), potassium sorbate, vegetable glycerin, xantham gum, allantoin, Polyaminopropyl biguanide (Cosmocil CQ), glycine soja lecithin, Rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary oleoresin), Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) essential oil, iron oxides
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
UmEnis wrote:
I'm quite happy with Kimbery Sayers. I can't remember if its ZnO (I think it is--its a physical block, for sure, cause thats all I use). Its not micronized so there is a little white cast, but its perfect for car to store to car to store to pick up kids kind of stuff. I bought it twice which is like some kind of miracle for me.

Is this the KS SS product you are using?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/kimberly-sayer-ultra-ligh-p_8794.htm

It has both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. The ingredients are listed but I don't see the percentages for the active SS ingredients.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
This is an article on how other ingredients can be calculated for higher ratings.

http://thetriplehelixian.com/2013/04/25/the-meaning-of-spf-and-how-antioxidants-and-anti-inflammatories-can-skew-exaggerate-and-mask-those-ratings/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
This is my current favorite sunscreen. I also wrote a review for it.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/sun-protection/_/Resist-Super-Light-Daily-Wrinkle-Defense-SPF-30/

Paula Choice spf 30

Light tint
zinc oxide
feels lights; not greasy

On my hands, I use up the sunscreens that don't work for my face.

I also like Hawaiin Tropic silk Hydration spf 30 for arms and hands. Feels light like a body lotion. Nice smell and cheap. 180ml bottle is under $10.00. I have a travel size that I keep in my purse.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
This is an article on how other ingredients can be calculated for higher ratings.

a big thank you for this article Very Happy and naturally, the devita sunscreen that they discuss has been my "holy grail" for the past year! Brick wall back to the drawing board Embarassed
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Anyone used MVO kids sunscreen and can provide a review?

http://www.mvorganics.com/products/kid-safe-screen-spf-25

It received a good score in the 2014 EWG reviews.
http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/566214/Marie_Veronique_Organics_Kid_Safe_Screen%2C_SPF_25%2B/

I've used their face screen tinted sunscreen and like it but i've never tried this one.

It has no aloe for those concerned about that. Ingredients:
Camellia sinensis (green and white tea), non-nano zinc oxide, capric/capryllic triglycerides (fractionated coconut oil), Persea americana (avocado oil), Galactoarabinan, Tocopherol (vitamin E), Mangifera indica (mango butter), potassium sorbate, vegetable glycerin, xantham gum, allantoin, Polyaminopropyl biguanide (Cosmocil CQ), glycine soja lecithin, Rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary oleoresin), Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) essential oil, iron oxides

I did end up buying the MVO Kid Safe Screen. It's not too bad. Soaks in and isn't greasy at all. Drys very matte. But, you do have to spend some time rubbing it in or else you end up with white spots. No real white caste on me unless I don't rub it in well (I am fair). Might be good for those with oily skin and acne prone (no silicones). My teenagers will probably like it, but it might end up being too drying for me. Frankly, a bit pricey for kids, but all natural ingredients.

SPF 25 with 20% zinc.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |