Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Restoring volume in temples?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
exotic.intoxication
5% products discount

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has had any success in restoring some lost volume in hollowing temples through any natural means such as facial exercise or even Dermarolling? I know facial exercises target muscles, but flex effects have the bone remodelling program, I'm wondering if that would work for the temple region.

I know you can always get some filler, but was looking for a more natural approach first!
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am not really an expert, but based on the fact that temporalis muscle covers temples, I would assume that volume can be restored using facial exercises...
I found that hollowness in that area is a common effect of botox for headaches (apparently, for headaches, botox is injected into that muscle and can cause atrophy).
Found this http://www.livestrong.com/article/437720-can-the-temporalis-muscle-be-strengthened/ and tried the exercises, there is definitely movement in that area...
If you are considering exercises, I would recommend doing a complete program, all of them have exercises for jaw muscles and temporalis is involved in them. Like that, you will not end up with facial imbalance. And another thing that everybody messes up in the beginning (well I did anyway), don't overdo it... Results take time to appear (depending on age, usually after 3-4 months), but as long as one is consistent and doesn't overdo it, it is worth it.

exotic.intoxication wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has had any success in restoring some lost volume in hollowing temples through any natural means such as facial exercise or even Dermarolling? I know facial exercises target muscles, but flex effects have the bone remodelling program, I'm wondering if that would work for the temple region.

I know you can always get some filler, but was looking for a more natural approach first!
exotic.intoxication
5% products discount

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
maggie_p wrote:
I am not really an expert, but based on the fact that temporalis muscle covers temples, I would assume that volume can be restored using facial exercises...
I found that hollowness in that area is a common effect of botox for headaches (apparently, for headaches, botox is injected into that muscle and can cause atrophy).
Found this http://www.livestrong.com/article/437720-can-the-temporalis-muscle-be-strengthened/ and tried the exercises, there is definitely movement in that area...
If you are considering exercises, I would recommend doing a complete program, all of them have exercises for jaw muscles and temporalis is involved in them. Like that, you will not end up with facial imbalance. And another thing that everybody messes up in the beginning (well I did anyway), don't overdo it... Results take time to appear (depending on age, usually after 3-4 months), but as long as one is consistent and doesn't overdo it, it is worth it.

Thank you for your reply! I am doing a program of some basic exercises I have collected from all over the place, and plan on purchasing a program soon. I am especially interested in the bone remodelling part from flexeffects. If you compare these skulls, you can clearly see the bone loss in that area:

I didn't know that muscles atrophied in the region from botox, thanks for that valuable information! Right now I am doing microcurrent which is really making a different for me, I might incorporate some more temple movements as I've mostly been concentrating on lower face. I am doing facial exercises on alternate days.

I'm really interested in new bone growth and maintaining bone growth though, as I feel like that is one of the biggest reasonns for volume loss in the face.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:50 am      Reply with quote
Hmm, I always assumed that bone loss happens around menopause so wasn't investigating that... Some reading shows that for women, it starts around early 40s (my age) so perhaps should start investigating... Hopefully SeanySeanUK will give some insight.

Some time ago, I found a thread about Yamuna balls (fascia and bones massage), http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42039, tried the sample massage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChLyFUFkAHI) with a small ball I have and was quite impressed. Then, I just didn't have time, too many gadgets and massages already...
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:08 am      Reply with quote
Yes and its really interesting as the temples is an area of the face that most people neglect completely in their training despite there being some great and simple exercises.

Face exercises don’t only target muscles. That’s something that a lot of people get passionate about and will sing till the cows come home, but when you are doing resistance exercises, whilst we tend to focus on the muscles to help people engage the target fibres, the facial muscles terminate into the skin, and also originate from the bone. So when you do a resistance exercise you will to some degree be tackling both those areas as well (not to mention connective tissue, circulation, lymph etc). When Deb first developed her bone specific techniques she did it with an awareness that the changes she was noticing were unlikely to be due to muscle weakness or strength and also being in her 60’s she was also aware of the changes happening to her body and somehow bone formation came into her mind and she did a brilliant job of researching it and developing techniques to tackle it.

Now from my perspective, with the temples it is not just about bone and muscle, but also the connective tissue on top and the skin too. It is really about stimulating the connective tissue using techniques like massage which will fill out that area and plump it up.

Sadly its not so much about messing up in the beginning, but really people get over joyed with the changes they start seeing and want more and so throw cautioun to the wind and sadly a lot of the suggestions about reps, how many times to do the exercises get ignored (understandable).

Now I would stop doing any basic exercises you are doing. You run the risk of creating imbalances which you will have to correct and so this will slow down your progress. Even though you consider them “basic” if they are challenging the face/stimulating it – it is having an effect which may not help you achieve your goals. Better to wait till you have a full program at your disposal and do that rather than messing things up before you start.

Bone loss can happen at a variety of ages (studies even suggest that it happens at 30 plus years) and not just for women either it happens to men too, and whilst we commonly mostly hear about it during things like when menopause shows up – it can happen at a variety of ages and due to different things. For example tooth loss of any sort starts to have an impact on the jawbone density and structure, that starts the process of bone reabsorption off.

One of the things I have been weary of botox for ages is that whilst I understand its users love the wrinkle free skin, in its effect of causing paralysis, it stops the muscle moving completely and so the muscle atrophies and ages faster as a result which in my mind isn’t a good thing.

Like most things, bone loss doesn’t generally happen over night but is a gradual process of different things and techniques like those of FlexEffect and Yamuna ae great at allowing people tools to stop them from happening and even reversing them when they do to some extent.

To say bone loss is one of the biggest reasons for volume loss in the face is also a little unfair. You see when bone loss occurs there are usually a variety of different things happening and skin and muscle and connective tissue are also involved as well as hormones, for example.

There is even links to both sound and vibration having impacts on bone formation and growth/development that is being studied at present. They found also that when it comes to helping bones to heal faster. So these are exciting times for sure.

5% products discount

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Yes and its really interesting as the temples is an area of the face that most people neglect completely in their training despite there being some great and simple exercises.

Face exercises don’t only target muscles. That’s something that a lot of people get passionate about and will sing till the cows come home, but when you are doing resistance exercises, whilst we tend to focus on the muscles to help people engage the target fibres, the facial muscles terminate into the skin, and also originate from the bone. So when you do a resistance exercise you will to some degree be tackling both those areas as well (not to mention connective tissue, circulation, lymph etc). When Deb first developed her bone specific techniques she did it with an awareness that the changes she was noticing were unlikely to be due to muscle weakness or strength and also being in her 60’s she was also aware of the changes happening to her body and somehow bone formation came into her mind and she did a brilliant job of researching it and developing techniques to tackle it.

Now from my perspective, with the temples it is not just about bone and muscle, but also the connective tissue on top and the skin too. It is really about stimulating the connective tissue using techniques like massage which will fill out that area and plump it up.

Sadly its not so much about messing up in the beginning, but really people get over joyed with the changes they start seeing and want more and so throw cautioun to the wind and sadly a lot of the suggestions about reps, how many times to do the exercises get ignored (understandable).

Now I would stop doing any basic exercises you are doing. You run the risk of creating imbalances which you will have to correct and so this will slow down your progress. Even though you consider them “basic” if they are challenging the face/stimulating it – it is having an effect which may not help you achieve your goals. Better to wait till you have a full program at your disposal and do that rather than messing things up before you start.

Bone loss can happen at a variety of ages (studies even suggest that it happens at 30 plus years) and not just for women either it happens to men too, and whilst we commonly mostly hear about it during things like when menopause shows up – it can happen at a variety of ages and due to different things. For example tooth loss of any sort starts to have an impact on the jawbone density and structure, that starts the process of bone reabsorption off.

One of the things I have been weary of botox for ages is that whilst I understand its users love the wrinkle free skin, in its effect of causing paralysis, it stops the muscle moving completely and so the muscle atrophies and ages faster as a result which in my mind isn’t a good thing.

Like most things, bone loss doesn’t generally happen over night but is a gradual process of different things and techniques like those of FlexEffect and Yamuna ae great at allowing people tools to stop them from happening and even reversing them when they do to some extent.

To say bone loss is one of the biggest reasons for volume loss in the face is also a little unfair. You see when bone loss occurs there are usually a variety of different things happening and skin and muscle and connective tissue are also involved as well as hormones, for example.

There is even links to both sound and vibration having impacts on bone formation and growth/development that is being studied at present. They found also that when it comes to helping bones to heal faster. So these are exciting times for sure.

Thank you for your reply. I exercise regularly and lift heavy weights and partake in a bodybuilding regime and (trying to) eat right etc so I understand the benefits of resistance exercise, believe me! I also spend a lot of time learning about the human anatomy, facial muscles, bones, nerves, cells, nutrition, etc. I read a lot of medical articles, studies, reports so believe I have a decent understanding of the human body.

When I say basic, I am saying it is a program I have devised with my understanding of the muscle groups in the face and the various resources and facial exercises I have come across. It is a complete program that takes around 20-30min which I only do about once or twice a week in between my microcurrent sessions. When I say basic, I meant a core regime, and that it's not any program you can buy.

Bone loss can happen as early as mid 20s for women which I found alarming and wish I knew about in my 20s as prevention is always better than cure. The article I read relating to bone loss being a major contributing factor was some plastic surgeon's article and restoring it with sculptra, but I can't find it at the moment. If I do I will post the link here.

I have been studying what factors causes our faces to age, and the patterns of fat/bone loss, what happens to our muscles and our skin, the deep done science behind what makes a person age slower such as long telomeres, antioxidants and free radicals, restricted calories, higher melatonin production etc. I have been comparing young faces with older faces, my face with my mother, my face compared to when I was younger, studying older people with young looking faces and young people with old looking faces and what causes them to have these attributes. Believe me, I have looked into this topic as thoroughly as I could!

I definitely agree with you on the botox, I never want to get this done and I would much rather strengthen and condition the muscles with exercise, massages and microcurrent.

I guess saying biggest reasons for volume loss may be unfair, what might have been more suitable was important factor in the aging of the face. Smile My most noticeable areas of aging are definitely where the known areas of bone loss occur; around the base of the nose, around my eyes, the middle and sides of the forehead and perhaps a little at my jawline. I have always had a very full face comparatively so I guess for me the changes in bone structure have been the most alarming signs of aging for me.

Here is another very interesting article in relation to bone loss:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404279/

I don't believe you can fix something properly without understanding the underlying factors first, so I try and learn about what I am trying to fix first and what effect the changes I am making could make.

I am extremely interested about the studies on sound and vibration and bone growth and development and will definitely be looking into that! Thanks for the information!

35, asian, currently doing at home microcurrent, facial exercises, massage, LED light therapy. Applying retin-A and Vitamin C topically. Taking pycnogenol, fish oil, Evening primrose oil, melatonin, spirulina, mushroom complex
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |