Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Male esthetician?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
EyesWithoutaface
5% products discount

Mon May 26, 2014 2:22 am      Reply with quote
I have a decision I would appreciate some honest input on.

I am considering changing careers and becoming an esthetician. I did IT for 20 years and really burned out on computers in a profound way.

I know a great deal about skin care (I had two esthetician girlfriends who I often knew more than). My eventual goal is to own my own salon. I have chatted with a guy who did just this and is doing amazingly well. The catch is he is gay and somewhat caters to a gay community.

I am a 40 year old straight male. I'm a good looking guy (like model till mid 30s) but my age is beginning to show. I don't mind gay guys at all or working on primarily men if I could make a niche in the market.

With the state of the economy and the number of unemployed, experienced estheticians, is it reasonable for me to pursure a career in this female dominated field?

Any insight is sincerely appreciated.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2014 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I took my esthetic courses from a local college in SW Ontario. While I have the knowledge, I never really worked in the field. I did work for a Carol Baker Visage store for a while. My job was to sell, sell, sell. The line of skin care was crap, the makeup was OK. In regards to services we did facial waxing, mild peels. You would excel in that type of retail environment.
(This is similar to Merle Norman.) An esthetic certificate (license) would be an asset but not required.

We had no males in our class. If you were to pursue hairdressing; you might be one male in a group of 20 females.

I only know of one male nail technician.

You would be a rarity. I would talk with more spa owners.

What type of treatments are thinking of specializing in? Skin care, makeup, brow shaping?

I don't want to be negative, but it does take a while to build clientele. Have you considered hair dressing at all?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2014 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I think you need to decide what you would specialize in. Depending on where you are, there could be a market focusing on services for guys - brow trims, beards, color, etc... The key to any successful business is to be consistent and do what you say you will.

Google Wayne Goss as well. He's a successful male makeup artist. Non-gay, I believe.

Ps: I've done IT for over 20 years...I could see why you are burned out. I'm considering alternate career choices as well, but not in skin care. Good luck to you!
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 am      Reply with quote
I worked with a male Esthetician (gay). He was not a people person so he decided to only do facial waxing. He was AMAZING! Now, I would go crazy only waxing eyebrows but it worked for him.

Poor guy wanted nothing to do with even hearing about bikini waxing....LOL

I think it depends where you live. small town midwest, perhaps not.

Go to your local school and tour the place and get a feel for the environment. Aveda employees a lot of men so maybe go there first.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I certainly wouldn't have a bikini wax done by any male, gay or straight! Shock
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I certainly wouldn't have a bikini wax done by any male, gay or straight! Shock

I can understand! But most gynos are male and we think nothing of it when they get up close and personal! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
But they are highly trained medical doctors who have spent years studying the human body not some guy who took a few courses at a beauty school. I wonder if spas do a criminal background check.

My gyno is a woman. There are certainly more women gynos now than ever before. I predict in the future they will be the majority.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Well my thoughts are that if you enjoy it and are good at it, then it doesn’t matter if you are male or female really when it comes to the face. I think there is a lot of guys out there wanting help too – even my hubby has at times tried all my pots of cream in my bathroom and I’ve caught him using my eyecream (wondered why that was always running out so quickly) so there’s definitely a market for it, and good advice too in relation to skincare.

As for being a female dominated field, it’s a bit like the male dominated fields of law (judges were only men at one point) and now we have Judge Judy who I think rocks so hard she rolls! LOL
diamond44

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I feel that if you want to do it then you should. Who cares if it is mainly for woman? YOu can do it.
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with TheresaMary...it doesn't really matter, I know 1 straight male hair dresser and 1 straight male esthetician. The ladies love it...I think people are drawn to rarities actually, any man in a women dominant field would probably do well. Women always want a mans opinion as it is.
Besides do whatever you want, itd probably be a drastic change from IT though haha... Very Happy
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:28 am      Reply with quote
To be a male esthetician is a good way to
devoid yourself of masculinity...

Lookings matter to a male,but what matters more is
masculinity.This is a job made for females...Taking also into account that it can have minimal bad consequences,its made for females.

Males take risks and responsibilities.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
The skin is an organ just like the brain or the heart and just as both it needs to be taken care of...there is no specific gender involved in that.
The only thing that makes this job more feminine is the amount of women occupying it...but the job itself isn't strictly feminine.
And its really a bummer more males don't peruse there interest because its found "not manly enough".
Not to say he'll be looked at the same as a woman esthetician...because he's not...
Its complicated to explain, too much for this post for sure.
But there are ups and downs to being a straight male esthetician.
All I want to say here is the job itself isn't just for women and that if youre good at it- hell it doesnt matter your age, gender or race...people will come because youre good.

Plus man...you'll meet a lotta girls if you do haha, I think having a male esthetician for a boyfriend would be so awesome! haha.
( Of course, my bf is already the greatest there is...but its still my opinion. )

I hope this post made sense...talking about gender isn't black and white its a whole range of grey.

I think you should go for it,
just make sure you can pay off the schooling and have some back up plans! Good luck Smile
alex710

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,
Im currently in IT also and am becoming burnt out.
I'm a str8 male and have always been into Skincare. I'm interested in becoming an Aesthetician but don't know where to start. How do I become certified. If anyone else on here can give me guidance, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Alex
alex710

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 am      Reply with quote
EyesWithoutaface wrote:
I have a decision I would appreciate some honest input on.

I am considering changing careers and becoming an esthetician. I did IT for 20 years and really burned out on computers in a profound way.

I know a great deal about skin care (I had two esthetician girlfriends who I often knew more than). My eventual goal is to own my own salon. I have chatted with a guy who did just this and is doing amazingly well. The catch is he is gay and somewhat caters to a gay community.

I am a 40 year old straight male. I'm a good looking guy (like model till mid 30s) but my age is beginning to show. I don't mind gay guys at all or working on primarily men if I could make a niche in the market.

With the state of the economy and the number of unemployed, experienced estheticians, is it reasonable for me to pursure a career in this female dominated field?

Any insight is sincerely appreciated.

Hi EyeswithoutaFace,
I was wondering if you get this can you email me atg alej710@comcast.net. I'd like to know if you pursued your dream. I'm in the same situation that your in, and I'm interested in pursuing same dream as you.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |