Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin A users have you experiened this before?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alexismg1

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I need your help. Is this normal? I'm 23 and started using Retin A cream 0.025% two months ago. I VERY SPECIFICALLY used a pea sized amount once a day everyday at night. I wear La Roche-Posay sunscreen SPF 60 everyday whether I'm inside the house or outside. I only use Retin A and this sunscreen on a daily basis. In the morning I wash my face with Clean & Clear Night Relaxing Deep Cleaning Face Wash and that's it. Within the first month my skin seemed bright and refreshed, but now in the past month the area under eyes has gotten noticeable dark circles which I did NOT have before, my eyes look sunken in, and my pores have enlarged in the cheek area next to my nose. It looks like orange-peel skin texture and rough. I had larges pores before but now it looks MUCH worse plus there are these tiny lines attached to the pores. I have no idea what is going on. I'm wondering if anybody else experienced this and if so, did it go away with continued Retin A use? I understand there is this "uglies" stage which means redness, flaking, peeling, etc. Which I did experience but it goes away. The dark circles and skin texture look horrible though. Nobody has mentioned anything about this. I really don't want to stop using Retin A but I am not happy with how aged I look. It literally makes me look older and worn out. Two months ago I looked so much better and didn't have these problems. Is this normal and will it go away soon?
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
First of all, can I ask why you're using Retin A at 23 years old? Do you have a problem with acne or scarring (?) because, otherwise, I would not recommend something so aggressive at 23...You could use a milder retinal and a Vit C serum and get much better results..
And are you using the Retin A under your eyes? It took me a long time to tolerate it (some people never can) under my eyes..It's best to do it very slowly until your skin, in general, has acclimated to it first (and maybe buffer it somewhat...the skin under the eyes is thinner) or you may get some not so nice results like you're having now..

Hopefully you are not still using the Retin A..

You may have compromised your skin barrier and the Retin A has over-exfoliated your skin.
You haven't mentioned anything else you're using such as AHA's or BHA's but you probably should put aside all aggressive ingredients and baby your skin for awhile.
Cerave is a good choice...anything with ingredients like niacimade, green tea, lipids and oils.
You can do a search on various ways to repair the skin barrier.
alexismg1

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I started on Retin A because I have large pores and was told that it shrinks pores. I also have a few ice pick scars on my cheeks and was hoping the Retin A may help diminish it's appearance. I got a prescription from the derm. I wasn't informed of possibly having more noticeable enlarged pores/orange peel texture or that it can cause dark circles..
Since it is used for anti-aging isn't it supposed to thicken the skin over time?? I used a pea sized amount all over my face including under the eyes because I also saw some fine lines coming in when I was 22 and wanted to take preventative measures. Funny thing is my mom (who is 61) is using it too and has had none of the experiences I did, but I assume her skin is thicker since she barely experiences redness or flaking.
I'm just feeling really confused because Retin A is supposedly supposed to improve the skin within 12 months, not worsen it? I'm not sure if the darkness will disappear or not.
When you used Retin A under your eyes, you mentioned it took a long time to tolerate it...do you mean you experienced temporary darkening, or just peeling? Because the skin peels lightly every few days under my eye area, and I guess that causes the skin to thin, revealing darker skin. I was just hoping that it will thicken with time and my normal skin color would come back.
I think using it everyday may be too much and I would like to stop and reduce. I feel like I can't stop now because there is creppy skin under the eye area also, waiting to peel. I know that it only peels if I apply Retin A. Not sure what I should do....cause if I don't apply Retin A it will remain creppy which I'd hate. Maybe only use 2 times a week (around eye only; tiny amount less than pea size) with buffer. Then apply Cerave on top afterwards. I already ordered some Olive Squalane so I will incorporate that too. I'm wondering what Vitamin C serum do you recommend? Thank you for responding.
alexismg1

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to mention, I will probably get off the 0.025% and use an OTC retin a product for eye area to buffer with. Also will try out some copper peptides for skin rebuilding. Hopefully the normal skin color will return in a few days/weeks/months.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Retinols does thicken the skin and that is the whole point. As you age, there is less of all that beautiful youthful skin that you have now Smile

You have to exfoliate on regular basis and the dark circles is not from retinol.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
alexismg1 wrote:
I started on Retin A because I have large pores and was told that it shrinks pores. I also have a few ice pick scars on my cheeks and was hoping the Retin A may help diminish it's appearance. I got a prescription from the derm. I wasn't informed of possibly having more noticeable enlarged pores/orange peel texture or that it can cause dark circles..
Since it is used for anti-aging isn't it supposed to thicken the skin over time?? I used a pea sized amount all over my face including under the eyes because I also saw some fine lines coming in when I was 22 and wanted to take preventative measures. Funny thing is my mom (who is 61) is using it too and has had none of the experiences I did, but I assume her skin is thicker since she barely experiences redness or flaking.
I'm just feeling really confused because Retin A is supposedly supposed to improve the skin within 12 months, not worsen it? I'm not sure if the darkness will disappear or not.
When you used Retin A under your eyes, you mentioned it took a long time to tolerate it...do you mean you experienced temporary darkening, or just peeling? Because the skin peels lightly every few days under my eye area, and I guess that causes the skin to thin, revealing darker skin. I was just hoping that it will thicken with time and my normal skin color would come back.
I think using it everyday may be too much and I would like to stop and reduce. I feel like I can't stop now because there is creppy skin under the eye area also, waiting to peel. I know that it only peels if I apply Retin A. Not sure what I should do....cause if I don't apply Retin A it will remain creppy which I'd hate. Maybe only use 2 times a week (around eye only; tiny amount less than pea size) with buffer. Then apply Cerave on top afterwards. I already ordered some Olive Squalane so I will incorporate that too. I'm wondering what Vitamin C serum do you recommend? Thank you for responding.

Retin A does not shrink pores. Nothing does. It can only make them appear smaller.
Your crepy under eyes are trying to tell you that they're irritated and to back off. Some irritation is to be expected with Retin A but the under eye area is different and can't be soldiered through in the same way. You should wait until your skin has adjusted (and recovered) and slowly implement it in that area. That's all I can tell you. Be patient. The crepiness is not skin that wants to peel but irritated skin that wants you to stop irritating it.
The crepiness and darkness will go away, as will the large pores and bad texture, when you start replenishing and repairing some of the hydration it has lost.
If you have some slight indented scars you want to work on then you might want to consider a dermastamp and spot treating with strong copper peptides.
But be careful with copper peptides under the eyes. You can end up with a worse problem then you already have. Use only the mildest CP's there very tentatively.
Do some research on copper peptides before using them under the eyes.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Whilst it is not “normal” per se, it can sometimes be one of those transition stages. Retin A thins the outer derma – meaning upper layer of skin but in doing so it starts to thicken and plump up the base and middle layers of the skin. Now uglies is a very abused term with Retin A and CPs. It can happen at any time and at any point. It doesn’t happen at exactly the same time for everyone, nor is the results the same – meaning it can be redness, peeling, flaking etc. I would go back to your derm who prescribed the Retin A as it may be that you need a reduced strength or a different medium (gel, cream, microgel etc).
mahatrans
5% products discount

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Using Retin A does cause some sort of thickening of the skin, but i doubt it causes dark circles.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Low and slow is better, start with milder and over the counter forms, buffered skin lotion/serum types and go from there.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |