Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Avocado Oil!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Another simple test of rancidity is to taste your avocado oil. This is a actually food, not a cosmetic, so taste it! Put a drop of your oil on your tongue. It should have a mildly buttery, nutty flavor, not at all offensive.
If your avocado oil tastes bad, it IS bad!
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Great and tasty suggestion!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
Starlight, unspoiled cold-pressed unrefined avocado oil should have less of a discernable scent than does extra virgin olive oil.

I can put my nose atop the bottle of avocado ol and I still need to really try to catch a scent of it, whereas olive oil has a much stronger smell. I've been using avocado oil long enough now to know how it should smell, and I honestly think your avocado oil must be spoiled.

Fresh avocado oil should barely have a scent to it, and it is a very light nutty/earthy scent. If your oil smells even slightly offensive, it is likely rancid.

I would NOT use rancid oil on my skin...if the oil is spoiled, all of the useful nutrients will be "off" too, and indeed there could now be detrimental aspects of the rancid oil (oxidation can cause free radicals which will adversely affect your skin).

Frankly, I would expect a retailer to take my word for it when I report a bad product received and rather than require me to return the defective item, I expect a good retailer to apologetically ship me a replacement pronto(or ar least pay for me to return the bad item for immediate replacement)!

I was dissapointed but what can I do? I wish Markey had taken my word but she thought I was just one of those people that have a sensitive nose. She said that the turn over on the oil is very fast for the oil to be rancid. I wish she had offered to send me at least one 2oz. bottle to try and see if it smells any different. But she did not! By the time I pay for the shipping on all 4 bottles it is not going to be worth the return. I can not be 100% sure since I have never used avocado oil but I am fairly sure that the oil is bad because it smells far stronger and much worst than any virgin olive oil I have ever used. The smell is so strong that you can smell it through the sealed unopened bottles. Thanks for your honest input!
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I have just discovered a company called Blue Gum. It mainly offers emu oil (which I have just purchased to try). However they do have a cream that is supposed to be half emu, half avocado oil. has anyone her of it or tried it?
btw, this is in Oz.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
MBGirl wrote:
Cold pressed, unrefined avocado oil is always a true green color. I got my oil at Whole Foods in the cooking oils aisle...for less than $10. Try looking at natural foods stores for it, too. Most carry it.

MBGirl, what is the brand of Avocado Oil you're using?
MBGirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
The brand is Virginlands. It comes in an opaque black bottle and I purchase it at Whole Foods Market.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add my two cents.
I used to use GOW avocado oil in the winter when my skin would get dehydrated and it worked wonders for dryness but it really didn't smell so great. It felt a little too heavy for summer, even if I diluted it in my palm with my toner.

I recently bought a bottle of Olivado extra virgin avocado oil from Whole Foods to make salad dressing with and decided to try some on my face. OMG! Heaven! The smell is much better than GOW (a bit of an EVOO smell- very fresh), and the texture is lighter than GOW and the color is a little darker.

It def. sinks into my skin much better and when I mix it with my toner in my palm (this makes a HUGE diff. in the absorption of oils), the oil breaks down into really tiny particles.

As far as benefits go, it makes my skin very hydrated but not oily (I can get pretty greasy), it tones down redness and minimizes my pores and it adds a luminescence/glow. It helps a lot with elasticity and it feels very healing. I now use it all over my body and it really makes my skin silky.

If your local health food store doesn't carry this brand, ask them to see if their distributor has it and if they would consider stocking it.
healthnut325

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I found this company called Lovacado, and they sell unrefined avocado oil, but they've mixed it with essential oils, so they smell great. I purchased a bottle online and have been using it for a few months now. I've noticed visible changes in my skin too, especially since we've had a rough winter. Normally I have to put on cream three times a day because my skin is so dry, but now I just put on the oil after the shower and my skin is fine all day. The say the oil is good for hair too, so now I've been using it on my hair for the last two weeks and I've ceased using my conditioner. I believe the company is in Canada, but they ship everywhere. I wouldn't recommend the lavender, it's a bit strong, but the lemon and and sweet orange options smell great!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:49 am      Reply with quote
healthnut325 wrote:
I found this company called Lovacado, and they sell unrefined avocado oil, but they've mixed it with essential oils, so they smell great. I purchased a bottle online and have been using it for a few months now. I've noticed visible changes in my skin too, especially since we've had a rough winter. Normally I have to put on cream three times a day because my skin is so dry, but now I just put on the oil after the shower and my skin is fine all day. The say the oil is good for hair too, so now I've been using it on my hair for the last two weeks and I've ceased using my conditioner. I believe the company is in Canada, but they ship everywhere. I wouldn't recommend the lavender, it's a bit strong, but the lemon and and sweet orange options smell great!

Here is the website:

http://lovacado.myshopify.com/pages/product-info

Yes, a Canadian company. You can order online and also sold in stores in the GTA area.

I use plain avocado oil on my hair. If I were to choose a scent I would go with sweet orange.

Nice packaging. I would refill the empty container with oil and add my own scent. (Less money.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 am      Reply with quote
This is from the Garden of Wisdom site on shelf life and properties of various oils.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/carrieroils.html

GOW also has sample packs of oils. You can pick three different ones to try based on skin type.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Ive been using Avocado oil on my hair which is over processed due to bleaching. It has totally transformed my hair like nothing else. I don't know if its refined or not. It is meant for cooking. I bought it for that then decided to try it on my hair. It does have an aroma.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Typical Fatty Acid Profile of Avocado oil:
C16:0 Palmitic Acid 5% to 25%
C16:1 Palmitoleic Acid 1% to 12%
C18:0 Stearic Acid 3%
C18:1 Oleic Acid (Omega 9) 50% to 74%
C18:2 Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 6% to 20%
C18:3 Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) max 5%

Saponification Value mgKOH / g 187-197
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 am      Reply with quote
Not something to do with all oils (even avocado) so I'd really suggest before someone follows this to just double check the label. You see there are many avocado oils out there and some are treated in particular ways and only for external application. One way of telling if this is so is usually the colour of the oil. Natural unprocessed avocado oil is often a green colour, whereas heat and chemically treated can be a yellow or pale yellow colour in consistency. A lot of so called natural supppliers sell a treated oil which is not suitable for ingesting.
MBGirl wrote:
Another simple test of rancidity is to taste your avocado oil. This is a actually food, not a cosmetic, so taste it! Put a drop of your oil on your tongue. It should have a mildly buttery, nutty flavor, not at all offensive.
If your avocado oil tastes bad, it IS bad!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |