Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Layering sunscreens
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amoryclare

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have been layering 3 sunscreens with 1 foundation recently, and I would like your opinions!

Daily: I layer LRP, with zinc on top.
Extra sunny: LRP, Uriage, then Zinc
I try to reapply every 2 hrs if I can.

I am mainly concerned about UVA protection (not UVB)! I want to cover the whole UVA spectrum if possible. I am from Australia and try to minimise my time in the harsh Australian sun.

FIRST SUNSCREEN:

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL SPF50+ (PPD 42)

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 5.0%, Octocrylene 4.5%, Meroxyl XL 4.0%, Uvinal T 150 2.5%, Tinosorb S 2.5%, Meroxyl SX 1.5%.

Other actives: La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water(?)

SECOND SUNSCREEN:

Uriage Bariesun XP SPF50+ (PPD 65)

Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Uvinal A Plus, Uvinul T 150, Tinosorb M.

Other actives: Uriage Thermal Water, Photoprotective organo-mineral complex, Vitamins C and E, Aquaspongines (?)

I do not know the % of active ingredients for this sunscreen as they are not on the label.

THIRD SUNSCREEN:

BronZinc SPF30+ (Unknown PPD)

Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 250mg/g, Octinoxate 60mg/g, Enzacamene 10mg/g.

FOUNDATION:

Revlon Colorstay Normal/Dry in buff SPF20 (Unknown PPD)

[Occasionally the Revlon Combination/Oily SPF15]

Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 4.3%, Zinc Oxide 2.1%

CONCLUSION

I have pale skin, so thankfully I don't get a white cast. The BronZinc is too dark for my skin, so I use the buff coloured foundation to colour-correct.

Thank you so much!
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2018 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I think this is an excellent sunscreen regime. This will definitely yield results down the line. I actually do something very similar.

Although I use a range of different sunscreens my regime is:

1. A spf 50 with Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M and stabilised avobenzone (usually with octocrylene).

2. Heliocare tinted spf 50 (a chemical sunscreen). I want the topical polypodium fern-block extract on the skin- plus other antioxidants in this such as green tea.

3. A zinc physical sunscreen on top. Heliocare has a compact you can use to top this up or Coloriescence is good too. Anything that has a good percentage of zinc oxide- 10% or more.

I always make sure to apply Phloretin serum first thing in the morning to make sure any nasties from the chemical sunscreens will be mitigated.

One thing we have to be careful with is that zinc does not destabilise avobenzone- I believe the way around this is to find encapsulated zinc spf.

Crack on- you are doing great.

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
MaryLetson
5% products discount

Thu May 10, 2018 12:06 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie, Thanks for the great post. It's very helpful.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2018 7:18 am      Reply with quote
amoryclare wrote:

SECOND SUNSCREEN:

Uriage Bariesun XP SPF50+ (PPD 65)

Is it greasy?

It looks like the last 2 sunscreens would be more than enough.

The first one contains AVO, which can interfere with Zinc Oxide.
redich

Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing, great post!
Takayama
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I can’t follow this regime for it caused breakout......
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 am      Reply with quote
It’s a bit over doing it and lots of layers but if you don’t mind the feel, continue. One spf 30-50 would be sufficient though.
Takayama
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 am      Reply with quote
on top of SPF, need to focus on the ability to block UVA. I usually apply PA++++
SilvanaW

Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
After a certain point, you're not getting any extra benefit from the extra products. If your skin is happy with it, though, there's no harm.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
SilvanaW wrote:
After a certain point, you're not getting any extra benefit from the extra products. If your skin is happy with it, though, there's no harm.

TOTALLY AGREE.
In Australia, for a long time, we weren't allowed to promote beyond SPF 15 because the diff between SPF 15 AND 50 is 3% extra protection. (They could only advertise SPF15+ to indicate it has a factor higher than 15, but could not say what that factor actually is)

This prohibits manufacture competing, using a higher factor as a selling point.

Please google what defines SPF and do the maths. More is not better.

Research now shows some sunscreens are potentially cancer causing. We have a high level of vitamin D deficiency. And micro particles once rinsed down the drain is killing marine life.
sunsoutbeauty
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:59 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
I think this is an excellent sunscreen regime. This will definitely yield results down the line. I actually do something very similar.

Although I use a range of different sunscreens my regime is:

1. A spf 50 with Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M and stabilised avobenzone (usually with octocrylene).

2. Heliocare tinted spf 50 (a chemical sunscreen). I want the topical polypodium fern-block extract on the skin- plus other antioxidants in this such as green tea.

3. A zinc physical sunscreen on top. Heliocare has a compact you can use to top this up or Coloriescence is good too. Anything that has a good percentage of zinc oxide- 10% or more.

I always make sure to apply Phloretin serum first thing in the morning to make sure any nasties from the chemical sunscreens will be mitigated.

One thing we have to be careful with is that zinc does not destabilise avobenzone- I believe the way around this is to find encapsulated zinc spf.

Crack on- you are doing great.

Thanks for sharing your post it is very helpful.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |