Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin-a 0.1% strength gel from Alldaychemist or ADC mild?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
PhoebeLuella

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I hopped on the band wagon and purchased retin-a 0.1% strength from all day chemist. I've used this strength before...the non-generic formula. In the past, the effects were always immediate. After applying it in the evening...I would wake up with skin sloughing, particularly the blemished skin would peel first. Now, after 2 days of using the retin- a from all day chemist, I see nothing. No peeling no dryness...nothing. As many of you may know, 0.1% is the strongest strength. Has anyone who has used retin-a from ADC find that the retin-a is mild and or does not seem to work? Does anyone know where I might be able to buy liquid retin a?
Thank you
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebeLuella, if you normally use retin-a 0.1% strength , then you need to buy a higher strength Retin A from ADC.

Or you can use it more often.

ADC Retin products are weaker than the ones from the pharmacy.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I did not know they were weaker. How did you find this out Russian Sunshine?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
PhoebeLuella, if you normally use retin-a 0.1% strength , then you need to buy a higher strength Retin A from ADC.

I don't think she can go any higher? The 0.1% is the strongest strength?

Are you meaning due to the bases from ADC, RussianSunshine?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I just placed an order earlier this month and didn't see anything stronger in percentages than the 0.1%. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:13 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

I don't think she can go any higher? The 0.1% is the strongest strength?

Are you meaning due to the bases from ADC, RussianSunshine?

rileygirl, I bought the 0.025% Retin A from the regular Canadian pharmacy and I peel from it as strongly as I peeled from the ADC 0.05%. It might be due to the bases. They certainly feel , smell and look very differently.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:18 am      Reply with quote
I have the opposite experience, and my skin is fairly tough. I've stopped using the ADC 0.1% because I find it too strong for me. I've gone back to the 0.05%.

The bottom line is that this is a prescription drug - the active ingredient should be the same strength, no matter what the brand is.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone...well here is my follow up. On the 3rd day of using the retin-a I woke up and my husband said I looked like a peeling reptile. I went to the mirror...and VIOLA! Yes, it was working its magic. I also purchased the hydroquinone %4 cream. And during the day I apply a thin layer on the blemished areas that are peeling. It's looking good Smile
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I started my retinA journey with the obagi 0.1 cream one.then purchased the 0.1 retinA cream from ADC. I didn't see any difference between the two.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
has wrote:
I started my retinA journey with the obagi 0.1 cream one.then purchased the 0.1 retinA cream from ADC. I didn't see any difference between the two.

Good to hear has! Now if my darn order would get here I would gladly join the journey! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 am      Reply with quote
A little note: I'm comparing gels. I bought the 0.025% hoping that my skin will tolerate using it every 3d day, but skin said "no". So I use it every 5th day same as the ADC 0.05% gel.

has wrote:
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Here are my 2 cents...

... the "peeling effect" does not really mean that the Retin-A is working nor is it a particularly desirable effect.

Basically, RetinA works in 2 levels: epidermis and dermis

In the epidermis, it causes increase of cell turnover, decrease of melanin, and it disrupts the epidermal barrier

In the dermis, it increases collagen among other things.

Research has shown that there is no increase of effect after 0.05. So if you use 0.1 you're basically just increasing the irritation due to barrier disruption, and decreased thickness of epidermis, not increasing the beneficial effects.

So personally, unless I had horrible acne that needed a lot of barrier disruption for extra peeling,and extra thin epidermis, I don't think I would do it.

All the best!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
That's why I only ordered 0.025% and 0.05% I really don't want all the peeling and irritation after having read the lower percentage is fine for anti-aging and the higher was only really used for acne.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
Here are my 2 cents...

... the "peeling effect" does not really meanof melanin, and it disrupts the epidermal barrier

In the dermis, it increases collagen among other things.

Research has shown that there is no increase of effect after 0.05. So if you use 0.1 you're basically just increasing the irritation due to barrier disruption, and decreased thickness of epidermis, not increasing the beneficial effects.

Thanks Josee

Heard all this before from another poster. re: Peeling does not equate increased effect, etc.
Since knowing this I stopped .1% retin A - it did cause some peeling which I didn't have previously from .05. Still, I think it does matter - at least for me and I do not have acne. I'm going back to my .1% as I eel there is a necessary better effect from .05 to .1% for some of us - I may have some peeling but it is still doing more than .05%. Maybe I need a .75. I hope this is understandable. Mainly my hope is to help others in the same position..
I will say my last two tubes are from ADC but others from other derm friends...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Boy, have I had a STUPID day! Nice to get on here and just talk... skin stuff...

I bought all the various percentages of retins from eds. I've started with the .025 and it really sounds like the stronger ones are not needed. I still want to use what I've got. How would you suggest I "water" them down? I don't use moisturizer due to my oily-prone skin.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Boy, have I had a STUPID day! Nice to get on here and just talk... skin stuff...

I bought all the various percentages of retins from eds. I've started with the .025 and it really sounds like the stronger ones are not needed. I still want to use what I've got. How would you suggest I "water" them down? I don't use moisturizer due to my oily-prone skin.

Is it actual Retin A or a retinol cream? I am in the US and we can't buy Retin A from EDS.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant from adc. Its late and I'm really tired. Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Sorry, I meant from adc. Its late and I'm really tired. Smile

LOL Me Too! I am waiting for mine so anything I could tell you is from what I have picked up in my time here! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
has wrote:

Good to hear has! Now if my darn order would get here I would gladly join the journey! Bad Grin

Hooray! I just got my order from ADC both 0.025% and 0.05% so I can get started using my Retin A tonight!!!!! Laughing

I made it in before hitting 57 by a hair.

Sorry I was getting impatient, just a little

5% products discount

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
It's such a great motivation to stick to Retin-A. Been about 11 months now...here's my update.
My skin is the clearest it has ever been. I get virtually no pimples ever.
My insurance doesn't cover Retin-A (Tretinoin). The best price I have found online for Retin-a was at http://www.verifiedwebs.net/go/Tretinoin+Retin-A Very Happy When I ordered Retin-A recently they gave me a 10% discount code (which was * SKIN10* if anyone's interested). As far as I know this code can be used as many times as you want. Hope this helps!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |