Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How to go about with my Skin Care
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rmn
5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask your advice about my skin care.

I'm a 40 year old male and want to get serious about skin care now. I also don't want to "wear myself out" with using to many products. After all I'm a man and we want the best results with the least hassle. Wink Also, I like to keep this as cost effective as possible.

I currently don't really have wrinkles, which I guess is maybe due to that I don't sunbathe and apply sunblocker, at least to the face. My aim is to keep it that way and also reverse some fine lines and big pores.

Currently I wash my face with water, then in the morning I apply a moisturising cream for sensitive skin (because it contains no alcohol and perfume), an eye balm with Q10 and a sun blocker.

In the evening I apply a 1% Retinol gel. After that moisturising cream and the eye balm.

Since I tolerate the Retinol so well and want the most effect out of it, I'm planing to start using Retin-A. I wIll start with the 0,025% Cream and if I tolerate it well, I will work myself up to the 0,1% gel.

I'm still not sure about the gel, because I read that the gel isn't so good for anti-aging, because it dries out the skin. Dr.Bailay also prefers the cream:

drbaileyskincareDOTcom/blog/5-skin-care-tips-for-retin-a-users/#comment-49063

drbaileyskincareDOTcom/blog/5-skin-care-tips-for-retin-a-users/#comment-51605

So what are your thoughts on this? Do I need AHA and Vitamin C just yet? Or am I good with the tretinoin for now and maybe add these later?

Thanks for your feedback!
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:14 am      Reply with quote
I think you should acclimate yourself to the Retin A first and then add a Vit c serum in the mornings under your moisturizer. These 2 things are the best things, in my opinion, for anti aging skin care in the way of topicals.
AHA's are good, too, but you're still pretty young and want to keep it simple..and it's best to know what's working for you when you're not using everything under the sun right off the bat..Let your skin adjust. You have time.

If the retin a in a higher strength gives you any flakiness you can do some manual exfoliation.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 am      Reply with quote
If you have oily skin then you can probably add in the Vit C and AHA's sooner. If you have dry or sensitive skin, then better to add them in slowly (especially the AHA's) if you are starting with Retin A concurrently. Vit C & E Ferulic serum in the morning is a must and helps adds some protection against UV rays and free radicals.

Why don't you wash your face with a mild cleanser to get rid of the buildup and dead skin cells in the morning so you skin care can be more effective?

To me, AHAs are just one way to exfoliate so you need to find the method that works best for you (manual or chemical or both). You'll probably need to exfoliate once on Retin A (but I don't know how strong .025% is s I use 0.1% and I definitely get flakes on my dry skin).

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
rmn
5% products discount

Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys,

So, I will start with the Retin A and add the Vit C Serum later. I read somewhere here, that you can mix it your self, which would be cheaper, so I will try that at some point.

I really don't know my skin type. For instance, I can't shave every day, because it irritates my skin. But when I use Retinol there is no irritation at all.

With cleanser do you mean a wash gel, or a toner? I read that in the morning you don't want to do that because the skin needs the oil built up over night?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:15 am      Reply with quote
There are several schools of thought out there about cleansing the skin but the main ones say that you should actually clean your skin in the morning because during the night your skin has been processing and pushing out toxins and that the oil that you have on your skin from the night is usually a mix of dirt and sweat etc that will otherwise clogg your pores. You can cleanse with a gel or cleanser that is suited to your skin type and it is quite easy to find out the type of skin you have based on its condition and what you are using. With the shaving every day, it may be what you are using to shave. Some people have very sensitive skins and report irritation due to the way their skin responds when they shave with a foam for example, however when they switch to using shaving oils for example, this soothes and comforts their skins without causing irritation. This also depends on the quality and quantity of the hairs too and how fast/slow the growth rate is for the hair. My eldest son used to hate shaving, but I took him along with me to my derm and he gave him some instructions about what to use etc and he found that using a shaving oil and pre cleansing prior to shaving really helped his skin stay calm and non-irritated. There are many schools of thought in relation to shaving and there isn’t a one size fits all for anything out there (if only).

rmn wrote:
For instance, I can't shave every day, because it irritates my skin. But when I use Retinol there is no irritation at all.

With cleanser do you mean a wash gel, or a toner? I read that in the morning you don't want to do that because the skin needs the oil built up over night?
rmn
5% products discount

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Thank you!

I was hesitant about using a toner, because I've read that Retinoids don't like an acidic environment, so when I use the toner before using Retin-A it would diminish the effectiveness of the later?

Also, I feel that my skin is much more clogged at night when I get home from a club and have all that dirt on my face, plus the sunscreen from the morning.

But ideally I would use a cleanser day and night, I was just hesitant because of the pH with Retin A.

As for the shaving. I don't have to shave every day. I have a beard, so I only shave the "fringes" every few days. I use a shaving gel and a shaving balm for sensitive skin.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Well toners can help the skin to be at the right ph balance. Whilst its true that retinoids don’t like acidic environments, depending on your skin type and what you are using, you wouldn’t necessarily apply a toner and follow immediately with retinoids. There are many natural toners out there like herbal waters which can soothe and prepare the skin for retinoids without causing interference. Unless you are using a specific acidic toner like lactic acid then there wouldn’t be any harm. If you were to use one of those then you would apply the toner after cleansing, wait at least 25-30 minutes and then apply your retinoid.

When you get home, you should cleanse because unless you are living in the mountains with fresh air – your skin has been exposed to grime and bacteria in the air, and you have been sweating and breathing through the day and even natural wind etc is blowing toxins around during your day so the cleansing helps your skin to breath too. Cleansing can help product penetrate because you are removing oils which would otherwise prevent the products from being absorbed for example.

Many people who use foams and gels report irritation and it can be from the sulphates in them. However many people report success from using natural soaps and or oils. So for example one forum I read the guys started shaving using Dr Bonner’s soap. It’s a cheap natural based castile soap (from olive plant) that is actually good at balancing the skins ph and not causing irritation. If you don’t have to shave every day, it may be that you need to moisturise the board/hairs using an oil so as the hairs will not be coarse and scratch the skin surface and irritate it.
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 am      Reply with quote
The first thing you need to do is identify your skin type. I will suggest you read some blogs that can help you identify your skin type. I read a blog about identifying the skin type on wikihow and a very nice blog on some website called zovon. You should check the out!
bergamit143

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
You can cleanse with a gel or cleanser that is suited to your skin type and it is quite easy to find out the type of skin you have based on its condition and what you are using.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Is there any Skin Care Clinic in Cary?
Actually, I want some skin care tips for my skin cause last week I went on a trip. Due to the different atmosphere, I feel some skin related problem on my face so please help me to find a skin care clinic in Cary.
Roy@11

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:47 am      Reply with quote
At 40, it is quite obvious to see aging signs specially on the face like wrinkles, fine lines, crow's feet, etc. Instead of going for anti aging products, I would recommend some Super Effective Anti Aging Home Remedies.
sunsoutbeauty
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 am      Reply with quote
The first thing you need to do is identify your skin type.It will helps you to use which type of skin care is good for your skin.Blogs that can help you identify your skin type. I read a blog about identifying the skin type on wikihow and a very nice blog on some website. You should check the out!
Rmarta

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Before using or experimenting anything over your face always try is on your palm and watch for few hours. If you don't feel it unusual or irritating just apply it on your face.
Good luck!
sunsoutbeauty
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Exactly am also advicing you the same first try on your palm then on your face.
jewipipil
5% products discount

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Taking vitamin C is a good option. It is very beneficial for the skin.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Use AHA to counter roughness or thickened skin.
Vit C if you would like an Antioxidant that is supposed to brighten the skin and help collagen rebuild. Also increase uva/ uvb protection under your regular sunscreen.
Retin A ? I don't recommend it esp for sensitive skin which you say you have, unless there is a specific need for it. I know many might disagree with me on ED forum.

I would definitely be adding a cleanser to your routine. You are just washing your face with water presently.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |