Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
help with clogged pores and redness
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
supremez99

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been dealing with these clogged pores (or enlarged pores) and redness on my face for years and years. I'm not sure how to get rid of these exactly. I've tried a lot of different things and none have really helped that much. I tried tca/salicylic chemical peels, dermarolling, blackhead remover tool, clarisonic mia, pore strips and charcoal masks.

I was thinking of buying a microdermabrasion device. Do you think that's my best option? Or should I try retin A, AHA's, more healthy diet, do a cleanse, supplements, or decrustination at a spa? I'm running out of ideas, and I feel that this is really holding me back. I have less than $200 to spend on my face so need to pick the best option. I'm starting to also consider using a skin lightening product like Kojic acid. Even if it doesn't unclog pores, it can make everything less red which might be good enough.

I'm trying to search online for before and after pictures of people who had similar skin as mine but who fixed theirs. So I could see what product they used and just copy that.

Thanks.

It won't allow me to link properly. The pictures at at: imgur. com /a/74Zhe
Lightshox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Definitely try to combat the redness with a gentle approach.

Most likely your skin is reacting by creating closed pores and redness because the products you are using and too intense. Listen to the skin and less could mean more in terms of results.

I would opt for a gentle cleanser (Neocutis/First Aid Beauty), a gentle redness product (Benton Propolis Aloe), and a good cream for day (mineral/sensitive spf) and night (Eucerin Cream). These are simply suggestions.

Masks can alleviate redness (egg whites / sugar + honey) but avoid scrubs. Fiancea gel is available online from Australia for approx. 25 US Dollars shipped, it helps redness/acne.

Cut HOT! showers and try to nurture your face gently. If you live in a cold climate like I do, definitely keep your skin moisturized this Winter.

After doing that for a couple of weeks, re-assess and continue to add products that help your skin's condition at that time.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Lightshox wrote:

Most likely your skin is reacting by creating closed pores and redness because the products you are using and too intense. Listen to the skin and less could mean more in terms of results.

I would opt for a gentle cleanser (Neocutis/First Aid Beauty), a gentle redness product (Benton Propolis Aloe), and a good cream for day (mineral/sensitive spf) and night (Eucerin Cream). These are simply suggestions.

Masks can alleviate redness (egg whites / sugar + honey) but avoid scrubs. Fiancea gel is available online from Australia for approx. 25 US Dollars shipped, it helps redness/acne.

Cut HOT! showers and try to nurture your face gently. If you live in a cold climate like I do, definitely keep your skin moisturized this Winter.

After doing that for a couple of weeks, re-assess and continue to add products that help your skin's condition at that time.

I agree with the gentle approach to treating redness. I am prone to redness also and would also stop using any physical scrubs.

A couple of products that have helped me with redness:

Topic Replenix CF Serum

Link:

http://www.skinstore.com/p-1244-topix-replenix-serum-cf.aspx

I have not purchased from this etailer. I was purchasing from a supplier (with poor customer service) in Canada.

I am currently using a similar product from Garden of Wisdom. Less $$$

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/8295308/9037512.htm

Sample or travel size available. I do like other products from GOW.

If you try a new product, patch test first. Try one new product at a time.

I also have good luck with some products from Paula's Choice. Sample option. You can also email their customer service for suggestions.

Edit to add: I would definitely stop the Clarasonic mia cleansing brush.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Lightshox wrote:

For those who order Fiancea gel online where do you order?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
Lightshox wrote:

For those who order Fiancea gel online where do you order?

http://www.cincottachemist.com.au
supremez99

Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. Well here's my usual routine:

Desert Essences Tea Tree Cleanser (very gentle)
Clarisonic Mia
Spot treat with benzoly peroxide or neem oil
Moisturizer (not often but when I do, I use argan oil, or aloe vera from the plant, but thinking of switching to jojoba oil or a cerave moisturizer)
Wash face with water
Niacinamide (for redness)

Ocassionally I also do clay masks, charcoal masks, and salicylic peels as well. I don't think my routine is too harsh, with the exception of using the clarisonic mia perhaps.

I'm also trying to experiment with some other products I have. For instance I'm putting msm cream, emu oil and niacinamide on 3 different parts of my face to see which one works best for treating redness. Going to do that for a week or so, then try something else like honey, aloe vera, and green tea. I need to figure out which products are the most effective for redness so I don't waste time using ones that don't work. I recently bought some zinc which I heard can help redness, so will try that too. Just going to keep going through trial and error. I heard borage oil and vitamin e oil can be good supplements for getting rid of inflammation, so might try that in the future.

Btw Autumn1985, for that green tea cream, I wonder if it would be cheaper just to make some green tea and use a cotton ball to put it on your face? It does look good though. Has it had a real noticeable effect? Can you name any previous products you used, that this one is better than? Just trying to rule out some options if I can.

I'm going to add Fiancea gel to my list of potential products to try, thanks for that Lightshox. There's just so many products out there, it makes it hard to choose. That's why I've been trying to look for before and after pictures, or videos. I did see one for Fiancea gel where redness was dramatically reduced, which is a good sign.

I'm not sure if I should focus more on my clogged pores or more on my redness. I'm currently leaning towards getting a dermabrasion device such as the MiniMD by Trophy Skin or the more expensive one made by Zeny. They have some for $200+ but that's too expensive for my tastes. I'm banking that my niacinamide, msm cream, emu oil or aloe vera will be good enough for my redness for now. And the microdermabrasion will help unclog my pores with the vacuuming and help some red marks by removing the top layer of skin. If not, back to the drawing board for that magic routine Wink.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think for redness, the best tip is to be gentle, like the other reviewers recommend.
Facial oils regulate redness for me, jojoba and hemp oil (hemp oil is completely non comedogenic, so perhaps that is a better option for you). Niacianamide is quite great as well, I love it.

In terms of gadgets, hope you are not overworking your face with clarisonic, I have a similar device and wasn't really happy with results. It is brilliant for removing makeup but didn't notice it doing anything else positive.
Microdermabrasion is quite harsh in my opinion.
For clogged pores, I would recommend LED, it works for some not for others. Blue light does wonders for me. Perhaps a good option for you is to try Illumask, there is a hack on how to prolong its life beyond initial 30 days.
The other little gadget I would recommend (based on reading, I just ordered one so no personal feedback) is ultrasonic spatula/scrubber. That should help a lot with cleaning the skin.
supremez99

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks maggie_p. Do you find that the jojoba oil helps unclog pores? I read somewhere that it helped soften the sebum so it came out. I kind of find that hard to believe, after trying argan oil and castor oil with only a tiny bit of dead skin coming out. I agree though that jojoba oil seems like one of the most popular oils for being moisturizing and non-irritating. I want to try that and hemp oil when I can afford it.

The clarisonic doesn't really do anything negative for me, but I usually see flakes coming off when I use it. As far the led thing, I could see that being good for acne, but I have doubts that it would help with clogged pores. The ultrasonic scrub seems good but it sounds like it uses the same sonic technology that the clarisonic uses.

So after doing some more research, I found out that those diamond tip microdermabrasion devices don't even spin, just have diamond surface + vacuum. And the personal Microderm device has the spinning disc. And I can save some money buying it off of ebay. Also realized that a lot of people use retinol products and say it has helped their pores get unclogged or make pores smaller. And it is also less harsh than retin A, so less likely to break out. I could always try retin A sometime in the future.

So I'm thinking what I'm going to do is, do 1 tca peel today on my cheeks but this time use my other gentle cleanser + clarisonic to make sure I have no oil on my skin and get the best results. And also going to order the Personal Microderm and retinol. I'm going to use the microderm 2-3 weeks from now, see if that works. If not, then try retinol. Those seem like the top 3 products for unclogging pores along with pore strips and masks etc. Hopefully these pan out, because there's not many other options left besides freaking out or trying laser treatments.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Jojoba oil is the oil that is almost identical to skin sebum (it is not actually an oil but wax but never mind that). As such, it helps balance the skin oil production, which is a major factor for clogged pores. Majority of my skin is actually dry, only nose and chin are oily and jojoba and hemp didn't cause any adverse effects and helped with my dryness. With that and LED, I don't have any issues in the oily area. I don't know which one really... I didn't have a lot of clogged pores to start with and they disappeared as a side effect of me treating my dryness and aging issues so not complaining Smile

Oils did help with redness a lot, they really soothed the skin. I have seen they are often recommended for clogged pores and acne as well, so I have recommended them to you.
In terms of LED, it also shrinks pores and red led evens out the skin, so also good against redness. Illumask is a combination of red and blue, so should really be quite helpful.

Whatever you try, as long as there are no adverse effects, give the treatment time to work for you, don't give up too quickly!

Good luck!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I have the Mia and it is just okay. I also have the spatula scrubber but it was a hassle and really didn't do anything so I only use it occasionally to absolve my gadget guilt.
I do still use my Baby Q LED and that does help time to time to add a glow to my skin.
For me, the Finacea did not work.
Recently my derm prescribed Soolantra which I am giving a whirl for rosacea. So far it has helped a bit but it takes longer term to see the results. She said it is either hit or miss which one can work better for you depending on your type of redness. I have a few bumps with mine. If you do not, then the Finacea may be fine. Very soothing cream but pricey without insurance. I was given a coupon which took it down from 325.00 to 50.00. Still pricey but better than the alternative.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Happened upon a cream that helped sooth my skin and calm the redness. I use it on my grandbaby and was putting it on her so I rubbed the leftover on my chapped nose and face and loved it.
Episencial Babytyme soothing Cream with Neem oil, probiotics and essential fruit. Plus it is cheap! Works better for me than any of my expensive tons, which I have tons of.
I am slathering this stuff on and my skin is drinking it up!
Amazon sells it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L5HPGC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19NVE4G6SOT2C
"Bring cooling comfort to red, dry, itchy, irritated skin. This all natural scent-free formula with calming calendula and raspberry butter restores moisture balance, while nourishing probiotics and neem oil fortify and soothe developing skin. And did you know that just like our bellies, skin needs both good and bad bacteria to flourish. The probiotics in our formulas ensure that baby skin is balanced and healthy with good bacteria. A true multi-tasking problem solver, Soothing Cream can be used to soothe eczema, dermatitis, cradle cap, baby acne or diaper rash. It can also be layered under Sunny Sunscreen for a silky smooth application or under Snuggly Lotion for extra hydration. Top-rated by customers".

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I realize this question is a few months old. However, I would like to add that Control Corrective Calming Balm always helped me with redness. They have a whole line with a lilac colored circle on it, which is supposed to help with the redness.

As for the clogged pores, I know there is a special tip on microderm that can help breakup the skin on top of the clogged pores. I have also heard that a cream with a cosmetic acid like glycolic would help just on the pore areas. Exuviance is one that I tried in the past with success. I wouldn't put the acid product on the red places. Only on the nose or other oily areas that aren't irritated.
Gilea Anton

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Any luck with switching to non-comedogenic oils?
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
To combat redness, try Nia 24+ strengthening complex.

I am not sure if your pores are enlarged or clogged. If the later, for for deep cleansing facials where the aesthetician will perform extractions.

For enlarged, there isn't really much you can do topically expect some form of laser treatments. All the products out there that claim to reduce pore size is not true. Even if it was, it would only be temporary.

supremez99 wrote:
I've been dealing with these clogged pores (or enlarged pores) and redness on my face for years and years. I'm not sure how to get rid of these exactly. I've tried a lot of different things and none have really helped that much. I tried tca/salicylic chemical peels, dermarolling, blackhead remover tool, clarisonic mia, pore strips and charcoal masks.

I was thinking of buying a microdermabrasion device. Do you think that's my best option? Or should I try retin A, AHA's, more healthy diet, do a cleanse, supplements, or decrustination at a spa? I'm running out of ideas, and I feel that this is really holding me back. I have less than $200 to spend on my face so need to pick the best option. I'm starting to also consider using a skin lightening product like Kojic acid. Even if it doesn't unclog pores, it can make everything less red which might be good enough.

I'm trying to search online for before and after pictures of people who had similar skin as mine but who fixed theirs. So I could see what product they used and just copy that.

Thanks.

It won't allow me to link properly. The pictures at at: imgur. com /a/74Zhe
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have been given a new theory to work on.

Redness for oily skin which is prone to habour mites and bacteria due to the high sebum content, LACTIC ACID, even in low concentration, will make a big difference.

Google LACTIC COOL PEEL by ENVIRON. If you can afford it and prepared to visit a salon, go for a course of 4-6 treatments.

If the above is not possible, then research home care, low concentration Lactic Acid serum or lotion.

I highly recommend Environ. Salon treatments to cure. Home care for later to maintain.
wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem, but I haven't found a good way. Red skin makes me feel sad.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |