Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Does microcurrent cause acne? Breaking out badly!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
NamelessOne

Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Since getting the Pico Toner, and using it for three weeks, I have broken out like crazy. I stopped using it for a week and a half, and a bunch of new pimples have popped up. I currently have almost a dozen JUST on my nose. Note that I do have reactive, somewhat acne-prone skin (mostly hormonal) but I RARELY break out on my nose. Plus the amount of acne I currently have is unheard of for me. Nothing I'm using should be causing it. My diet hasn't changed either.

I read that microcurrent is good for acne (though can cause purging) which is part of the reason I got it. But now I've read that is ISN'T good for people with highly metabolically active skin.

"If you have lots of active breakouts (red, inflamed acne), you may want to skip the microcurrent for now. Microcurrent is a very “active” treatment in that it stimulates your skin’s metabolism. While this is great for anti-aging purposes, acne is a sign that someone’s skin is already very metabolically active. Adding in more stimulation could potentially backfire, making the situation worse. If you get breakouts only occasionally you should be fine to use microcurrent, just avoid using the device directly on active blemishes. (Read about how an overly stimulating professional treatment"
Reneerouleau/at-home-microcurrent-facial-toning-device/

I am very confused now and wondering if people here any insight into this?
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:44 am      Reply with quote
You are not mentioning which gel you are using and how often you used it?

Typically microcurrent gels contain salt and that provokes the skin to breakout like crazy.

I have Nuface and started with Nuface gel and binned it fairly soon. I found some microcurrent gels on Amazon, but because of price moved to ultrasound gels which are quite cheap and my skin doesn't break out when I use them.

All this being said, if you have a breakout, skip microcurrents until it clears or it will really be ouchy. If you have 1 or 2 pimples, just cover them with a bit of Vaseline and use the non irritating gel elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
NamelessOne

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the response. Apparently, the notification for it went into my junk mail so I am just seeing this now.

The Pico Toner comes with a salt water spray. It was suggested by Tony (the owner) that I discontinue its use and after my skin healed I try again with JUST water. He also suggested that it was my skincare but it's definitely not as I've used these products (from Garden of Wisdom and Geek and Gorgeous) for a good while without any issues. He said it pushes products into your skin so even if they seem fine before deeper penetration can lead to breakouts. I told him that I apply my skincare AFTER, not before, microcurrent treatment. He told me that in their research and testing they didn't see acne as a side effect, though I don't know the age groups of the people they tested on. I am under 40.

I have tried again, three sessions this week, and have stopped using it for the past two days as my skin is breaking out again. I know some of it is hormonal but I have a large painful nodule forming on my nose which is not. Although I am somewhat acne prone with very mild acne and I'll get a few more pimples than usual around my period, I almost NEVER get acne on my nose, and certainly not nodular acne.

I am going to see if my skin gets worse in the next week like it did the last time I used the toner. I am also wondering if tap water is causing an issue as the water is moderately hard here.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I am so sorry Sad
You are still breaking out even when moved to water? I really wouldn't blame tap water, we are using it all the time and you would have noticed sensitivity by now...

I have to say I am near 50s so not your age but I do have occasional breakouts so I am not completely free from acne. That being said we all have different skin regardless of age...

You mention that you don't usually get acne on nose but you do get them with pico toner. Do you use microcurrents on your nose? I can only think that my nuface is touching a bit my nostril when I push up my naso labial line but apart from that not really any nose contact. Maybe when this clears stay clear of your nose/reduce strength of microcurrent?

Sometimes, some products just don't work for somebody although a lot of people like them. If you don't manage to make it work hopefully you can return it.
NamelessOne

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I wrote a pretty long response but lost it because of a connection issue so this will be shorter and less detailed as I'm tired now lol.

I've had issues with breaking out due to very hard well water so I know my skin doesn't like hard water very much. I'm on city water currently which is rated as being "moderately hard" in my area. I've broken out less than at my old place, but perhaps the pico toner is pushing it deeper into my skin and causing an issue. That's just my thoughts.

I do use the pico toner on my nose. I've read that microcurrent can cause purging. I don't know if it would cause more severe purging though when I've purged before (like from an acid) it was just small pimples or whiteheads, not any deep under-the-skin ones. I'll probably try again after some time, but avoiding my nose.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be breaking out until I'm 100. That is if I live that long haha. I was thinking maybe the people they tested on didn't normally experience breakouts (which tends to be less common in older groups, but your right, everyone is different) or they didn't have reactive skin. Though I can't find any information on this.

Unfortunately, it's past the return date. I'm hoping I can make it work but if not I'll look into selling it.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:23 am      Reply with quote
I think you are on to something, that is likely the reason why there are no reports about microcurrents and breakouts.

If breakouts are the problem, I can recommend Blue LED light and High Frequency Therapy. 1st requires much more time and effort and relatively high cost, but HF gadgets are on the cheaper side (for example D'arsonval there are a lot of them on both amazon and ebay) and the effort is really a couple of minutes a day over skin covered with oil cream or just oil, perhaps jojoba since it doesn't cause breakout?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |