Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Valdi. Which jar did u buy? Size and color?
Valdi
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am using an original Dr. Hauscha bottle for my toner. In CRO I can buy amber bottles for my serum in any drug store. Right now I have one of 30 ml - 1 fl.oz. I've only had a problem finding Vitamin C crystals. On that site I'd go crazy and get all of them in every size just cuz I like them and they are so inexpensive. Wink
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone else bought propylene glycol from somewhere else other than ThePersonalFormulator.com? I don't want to pay the expensive shipping.

Thanks,
Anna
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Valdi. I actually ordered the essential oils from that site as well. Great site! Thanks! I cannot wait to receive my products and start making these recipes.
yuki
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
ladies,
Please let me know where you find your Vit C (lysorbic acid or l-ascorbic acid), i couldn't find it anywhere.
carekate, my side of the Whole Foods doesn't carry it.
I'm trying to make ACV Toner. Help me out.

Thanks much.
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hey,

I went back to the first post where CareKate posted the recipe and followed the link. I purchased it from Shop.com for about $7. Since she is the originator of the recipe, I figure buying the same product that she uses will help. Here's the link:
http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=372971285-18619&_ccn_test=1.

My only problem is finding a place that sells the propylene glycol (besides thepersonalformulator). Good luck. I'm trying the Aspirin mask tonight.

Good luck,
Anna
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
The Personal Formulator also sells l-ascorbic acid... However, Yuki, you do not *need* the Vit C for the toner, so you could just make some now without it, and then make it with Vit C, when you can get your hands on some. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
hayleigh's_mom - I'd advise checking with your doctor about using the aspirin on your skin. Although I'm not sure whether it would get into your breast milk, I have to be a bit careful with aspirin, even applied topically, as it exacerbates my asthma. So I guess that it must get absorbed through your skin.

I think it's usually better to err on the side of caution with these things.
yuki
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hayleighs_mom, thanks for the URL.

Faith, Is it okay for me to use everything listed on carekate's recipe except Vit C since I don't have it yet?
I think somewhere i read someone just used ACV and diluted with water, should i try that?

Thank you for your help.
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Yuki,

Mine has not arrived yet either. I'm just gonna do 1 tsp of ACV with 1 tsp of water and try it tonight. Good luck!

Anna
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
yuki wrote:
Hayleighs_mom, thanks for the URL.

Faith, Is it okay for me to use everything listed on carekate's recipe except Vit C since I don't have it yet?
I think somewhere i read someone just used ACV and diluted with water, should i try that?

Thank you for your help.

yup, that is fine. Just water and ACV won't smell very nice, but it will work. The essential oils are important, IMO, but you can do it without them.

5% products discount

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Valdi wrote:
What else can I add in cleansing cream to replace witch hazel? I am not familiar with that plant at all. Or that I do not even bother with that ingredient?

Anyone??? Must I have that ingredient? So I know whether to order online. Thank you!
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:52 am      Reply with quote
which hazel can be found at almost any drugstore and some grocery stores next to rubbing alcohol. It is an important ingredient in the toner and I personally dont know of any ingredient you can substitute for it.
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if Drugstore.com ships to Croatia but here's a link:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=77860&catid=46155&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=46155&trxp2=77860&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

Good luck,
Anna

5% products discount

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanx girls! I ordered through the UK pharmacy site and paid 4x more postage than I paid for the bottles. Geeez!

Something that is common for you as witch hazel is far from that for me. I actually came across witch hazel in a book "Cleaning yourself to death" by Pat Thomas and she kept mentioning witch hazel but the translator was using the latin name of the plant as we don't have a Croatian name. I'll check in some herbal drug stores by the latin name to see if they are at all familiar with it. They should know something. Ah well, can't wait to receive it so I can start making cleansing cream.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Valdi wrote:
Valdi wrote:
What else can I add in cleansing cream to replace witch hazel? I am not familiar with that plant at all. Or that I do not even bother with that ingredient?
Anyone??? Must I have that ingredient? So I know whether to order online. Thank you!

No, you do *not* need the Witch Hazel in the Dr. H Cleansing Cream.

rgw0125w wrote:
which hazel...is an important ingredient in the toner and I personally dont know of any ingredient you can substitute for it.
Actually, my ACV toner recipe does *not* call for witch hazel.

5% products discount

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I meant cleansing cream
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I alluded to this formula in a previous post here last month, but a couple of members have requested the actual recipe in another thread so I figured it would be a good idea to post it in the official DIY thread so that it was there with everything else so here it is, copied verbatim from one of my post's over on MUA:

Okay, I know a lot of you have discovered the wonders of the original aspirin mask, which I happened to learn about when I stumbled across reviews of it over in MUA Productville. Like nearly everyone who has tried it, I was completely astonished by the immediate results I saw and it has been a regular part of my skincare routine since that time. My personal version featured crushed aspirin mixed with a little water and some honey to “bind” it so the flakes wouldn’t rain down from my face while the mask was beginning to dry.

However, I was noticing that even after I used the aspirin mask, I had this stubborn patch of flaky skin near the top of my nose at the inner corner of my eye that for some reason just wasn’t coming off from the exfoliating action of the mask. I went into to research mode – hence the primer above on AHAs and BHAs – and discovered that while salicylic acid (aspirin) penetrates down into pores to de-gunk them, it didn’t really provide much in the way of removing the very top layer of dead cells in the skin’s surface. What I needed was either glycolic or lactic acid, which work to dissolve the “glue” that binds the skin cells together and that’s when inspiration struck!

Why not create a something that combined the benefits of both AHAs and BHAs into one mask or treatment? And – behold – my newest creation was born! If you love what the ordinary aspirin mask does for your skin, this new one will absolutely blow your bloody mind....

Recipe for Dr. Holland’s Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial Mask

What you’ll need:

• Large bottle of plain/generic, uncoated aspirin
• Clean, empty small jar or other similar container
• Granulated (i.e.: white) or brown sugar
• Lactic Acid Concentrate
• Aloe Vera juice (may substitute plain distilled water, or strongly-brewed green and/or chamomile tea *made* with distilled water)
• Aloe Vera Extract (may substitute Jojoba or any other oil of your choice)
• French Green Clay (optional)
• Honey (optional)

What you do:

• Fill jar with approximately 50 aspirin tablets;
• Add just enough aloe vera juice/water/tea to completely dissolve the aspirin tablets into a smooth powder;
• Stir in two teaspoons of sugar;
• Add one-eighth teaspoon of Lactic Acid Concentrate (available from the Personal Formulator website);
• Stir in one-fourth teaspoon of Aloe Vera Extract or oil and a splash of honey (if desired);
• If desired, gradually add a portion of French Green Clay to mixture. I like to include the clay in my version simply because I have serious oil control issues so I need all the oil-absorbing help I can get!
• Blend all ingredients by stirring thoroughly. If necessary, drizzle in a bit more oil or other liquid until your mask has reached your desired consistency.

Note: the above-recipe yields approximately enough mask for a one month supply, however you *can* make a ‘single-serving’ size of the mask fresh each day by doing the following:

Use only 2-3 aspirin, a pinch of sugar, a couple of drops of *whole milk* (this replaces the lactic acid concentrate above) in which to dissolve the aspirin, and one drop each of aloe vera extract or oil and honey. Mix it altogether in a small dish or the palm of your hand.

How you do it:

• Two to three times per week, apply thin layer of mask to entire face and neck, avoiding the eye contour area.
• Leave mask on for 10-15 minutes, then moisten fingertips and gently massage mask into skin, rewetting your fingers often.
• Rinse with lukewarn water, pat dry.
• Followup with ACV Toner, then any serums or moisturizers as desired.

Important Note: This mask can be drying for some users, so do not use more often than recommended, no matter how much you may be tempted by the miraculous reduction in red marks from previous breakouts!

Also, it is a good idea to followup this mask by applying a nice, rich facial moisturizer after rinsing mask off and applying ACV toner.

For extremely sensitive skin, you do not need to leave it on for as long as directed, or else you may cut back and use mask only 1-2 per week.

I now use my Super-Sonic mask to exfoliate my face every morning. However, I’ve got very-thick, very oily skin that is only sensitive to certain products or ingredients very infrequently, so if you’re skin is more reactive or sensitive, I would only use this mask 1-2 per week, or about as often is you are able to tolerate using the plain “vanilla” aspirin mask.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Carrie! That one sounds like a "keeper" ... but I have a question for you.

If I haven't got any "lactic acid" concentrate on hand ... [and when I put together an order from the Personal Formulator ... it's going to take at least 2 weeks to get here ...] I assume I could substitute, say, an amount of powdered skim milk for the lactic acid ... right?

Any idea how much? I mean would a tablespoon of powdered milk be the equivalent of 1/8 tsp of the concentrate?

I'm going to try it anyway ... but I just wondered what might give me a "comparable" amount of lactic acid.

Thanks

Mary
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:44 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
...I assume I could substitute, say, an amount of powdered skim milk for the lactic acid ... right?
I want to say that you need to use *whole* milk rather than low-fat or skim, but I'm not positive. Another alternative to obtain the lactic acid would be to use some heavy cream or whole-milk yogurt. Does that help?! Embarassed

5% products discount

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Even before I got a hold of Carrie's SBSSFM I tried something with the aspirin and I am really happy with he results. It seems like the ingredients match too.

I have tried yogurt+aspirin+lime juice+honey as a mask and it has given me great results. ALso when I ran out of yogurt I grabbed a spoon ful of sour cream which had turned really sour, instead of yogurt and it gives me instant smothening and brightening results and my skin just glows!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Sonu wrote:
I have tried yogurt+aspirin+lime juice+honey as a mask and it has given me great results.

Cool! Your version is another example of how to successfully combine AHAs and BHAs into one mask to obtain awesome results! The only difference is that instead of using the sugar (glycolic acid), your lime juice provides citric acid which is known to help adjust the PH level of products to prevent them from being too alkaline or acidic. It is also a mild preservative and sequestering agent.

BTW, the acronym you coined above for my new mask could actually stand for the string of swear words I uttered this morning when I was running late for work and stuck my foot in my brand new pair of boots only to discover that my cat had yarked up a hairball inside of one shoe when my toes started squishing around in it!

Okay, I know this is posted in another thread buried somewhere on the forum, but I thought it would also be a good idea to include the data here so all of the info is in one place....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Introduction to AHAs/BHAs, 101:

Glycolic Acid
----------------------
Glycolic acid is the most popular alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA). It can exfoliate skin cells by breaking down the “glue” that holds skin cells together. Along with lactic acid, glycolic acid is an effective and well-researched AHA.

For your own quick, cheap and effective glycolic acid mask, mix a tablespoon of white (granulated) sugar or brown sugar with a bit of honey or your favorite oil (i.e.: grapeseed, jojoba, Vitamin-E, avocado, etc.) and apply to your face. Leave on 7-10 minutes, then wet fingertips and massage mask onto face, rewetting your fingertips frequently, then rinse face with lukewarm water.

Lactic Acid
---------------------
Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that exfoliates cells on the surface of skin by breaking down the substance that holds skin cells together. It may irritate mucous membranes and/or cause irritation if used in concentrations that are too strong. It is also used to hydrate and smooth dry, flaking skin.

For your own quick, cheap and effective lactic acid mask, here is a recipe posted by “IndianT” on the Essential Day Spa forum:

• 1 tablespoon milk
• ½ tablespoon yogurt (or 5 drops of lemon juice)
• 2-3 drops of olive or almond oil
• ½ tablespoon of orange peel powder (or cornmeal)

Mix ingredients together and apply to freshly cleansed face. Leave mask on for no longer than five minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Salicylic Acid
---------------------

Salicylic Acid is a beta hydroxy acid derived from the bark of the willow tree. Beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) are a larger molecule than their cousin, alpha hydroxy acids. The larger molecule size keeps the beta hydroxy acid on the surface of the skin allowing it to more effectively penetrate and exfoliate within the pore.

This action within the pores makes this BHA an ideal exfoliant for use on acne and acne-prone skin. The larger molecule size of salicylic acid produces less irritation than AHAs, making it a welcome alternative for those with sensitive skin.

Salicylic acid is best used on acne-prone and/or sensitive skin and the pore-cleansing properties of it make it a more effective comedone (i.e.: pore-clogging) fighter. Those with sensitive skin who cannot tolerate AHAs may find that they are able to use salicylic acid with good results.

However, alpha hydroxy acid’s penetration into the deeper layers of the skin produce better anti-wrinkle and anti-aging benefits. BHA acids have the ability to penetrate into the pore (AHAs do not), and thus can exfoliate inside the pore as well as on the surface of the skin which makes it especially effective for reducing blemishes, including blackheads and milia (aka: whiteheads).

As an exfoliant, salicylic acid can actually increase the benefits of other therapies used in conjunction with it, however care should be taken to watch skin for signs of excessive irritation. If irritation occurs, then it would be a good idea to either decrease the frequency of use or else refrain from combining it with other therapies.

For your own cheap and quick salicylic acid mask, dissolve 2-3 uncoated aspirin in water and apply to your face. Leave on 10-15 minutes, then wet fingertips and massage mask onto face, re-wetting your fingertips frequently, then rinse with lukewarm water. If desired, a dollop of honey, aloe vera gel or your fave oil can be mixed with the dissolved aspirin mixture to “bind” it so that aspirin flakes do not shower down as the mask begins to dry.

Citric Acid
---------------------
Citric Acid is derived from citrus and used primarily to adjust the PH level of products to prevent them from being too alkaline or acidic. It is also a mild preservative and sequestering agent.

The above recipe from IndianT also contains citric acid in the form of lemon juice and/or orange peel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Recipe for Homemade Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil (holy grail product for controlling sebum production for those with super-oily skin):

• 1 Oz. Kukui Nut Oil
• 6 Drops Ylang Ylang Oil
• 3 Drops Lavendar or Geranium Oil
• 2 Drops Bay Leaf Oil
• 1 Drop Rosemary Oil

Mix it up in an Amber Glass Bottle and Make Sure to Shake it up Before Each Use!

For those of you who have had luck with Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence, I have found this to be a great cheap replacement. You can substitute the Kukui Nut Oil with Hazelnut Oil If you like, but it must be refrigerated and made in very small batches as the shelf life is not very long. I chose Kukui Nut Oil to replace it for preservative purposes, and find it works just as well. If you are pregnant or breast feeding, do not use the Rosemary Oil...it can be toxic to babies. I replace Geranium Oil with Lavendar Oil in this recipe when I make it simply because I have it on hand, but geranium oil may be used in place of the lavendar for a product more similar to Decleor.

Hello carekate, your recipes are great Smile
I have a question about the carrier oil. Do I have to use Kukui or Hazelnut oil? What about Grapeseed,almond,and Jojoba oils? Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
...What about Grapeseed,almond,and Jojoba oils?
It should be okay to use *one* of those oils in lieu of the kukui or hazelnut oil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

One day while doing some internet research, I found a site that was explaining the antioxident properties of Green Tea ... and an interesting point made in there was that Green Tea doesn't lose its antioxident properties even when made with boiling water. The article indicated that there was something in the Green Tea that protects the strength of the antioxidents from being destroyed by the boiling water.

Of course, I can't find that particular page at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that this included Vitamin C.

I got to thinking that if this is true ... then perhaps those same properties that protect the inherent antioxidents, might also protect l-ascorbic acid.

So I brewed some strong green tea ... [one bag and very little boiling water] ... let it steep for a few minutes [the tea now being just "warm" rather than "hot"] and then added 5 ml of it to 1/4 tsp of l-ascorbic acid.

The l-ascorbic acid dissolved in record time ... after which I added 5 ml of PG, [thanks to Carrie for sending me some to try!].

This made a really nice serum ... nicer actually than made with plain water [although this could just be my imagination!] Laughing

Now ... does anyone know if there's a litmus paper sort of "test" to see how strong the vitamin C content is? In other words, how would I test to find out if, say, the green tea did preserve the integrity of the l-ascorbic acid better than water? Any ideas?

Up until now, I've been making a new batch of vitamin C serum every week ... based upon the research that said that it would only last that long ... but it would be nice to be able to actually "test" to see when the mixture became "useless" as well.

Any ideas?

And ... come to that ... with the multitude of commercial Vitamin C creams/serums on the market ... all of which indicate that the vitamin C is "stabilized" ... and many of which come in clear glass ... it would be interesting to test to see if they, in fact, provide the advertised amount of active Vitamin C as well ... no?

Mary

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |