Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Honey Lip gloss

INGREDIENTS:
Part A
Cocoa Butter ¾ cup Skin lubricant
Beeswax 3 Tbs Viscosity increasing agent
Coconut Oil 1/3cup Moisturizer
Sweet Almond Oil 1/3cup Moisturizer

Part B
Honey 3 Tbs Sweetener
Aloe Extract 3 Tbs Moisturizer
Lanolin Oil 1 tsp Moisturizer
Vitamin E Acetate 1 tsp Moisturizer

Total 2 cups

Instructions

Melt ingredients in Part A with mixing until uniform.
Add ingredients in Part B with mixing.
Pour into containers and cool in refrigerator until solid
Try these flavors…
Peppermint Oil
Spearmint Oil
Cinnamon Oil

I like this one. I found it on the personal formulator!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
DOSAGE OF EO'S

I only want to add that when useing EO's in your homemade facial brews it's important not to overdose as that can cause more harm than good. An easy rule of dosage to remember:

half the amount of drops to the amount of liquid.

So if you've got 50 ml of oil,cream or gel use no more than 25 drops of EO in total. If you are sensitive, or useing EO's for the first time - less is better than maximum.

250 ml = 8.4 Fl.oz = max 125 drops
150 ml = 5.07 fl.oz = max 75 drops
50 ml = 1.69 fl.oz = max 25 drops
15 ml = 0.5 fl.oz = max 7 drops
5 ml = 0.16 fl.oz = max 3 drops

You can always make a mixture, a synergy of oils separately and add that to whatever oil or cream you want...can make the putting together easier to get right.

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Great info Ruth. Oh, how's your Vit C serum coming?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
La ti di La ti Da

Look what I happened upon
www.makeyourcosmetics.com

What a cool and fun site!! Off to the Lab!!!

5% products discount

Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:56 am      Reply with quote
SUGAR SCRUB - found this recipe a while back somewhere on the net and was amazed when I tried it.

It is for super soft exfoliated skin - seems to do an even better job than aspirin masks for me: (use on face and body - just be gentle on sensitive and delicate skin)

Glycerin (one bottle)
White, granulated sugar (enough to make a nice thick but not completely solid mix)
A few drops of your favorite EOs.
(You can also add Vit. C, etc.)

For an added boost you can leave it on like a mask before or after your gentle scrubbing - but be prepared for drips! And, don't wait for it to dry, - it won't! Very Happy
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Candy8865
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great info Ruth. Oh, how's your Vit C serum coming?

I'm not sure to be honest. I've used my Vit C tonic (as I've chosen to name it - feeling an inert need to be different these days - ha ha) every day, either just the once or both morning and night. The concoction I made up is almost finnished (see "recipee" above), so I think the next one is going to be a teeny bit stronger. I've just in the last couple of days developed a cystic spot on my jawline and it's the type that leaves a discolouration for months - so I'm going to specifically treat it with vit-c and see what happens...
I've gone bananas on the aspirin mask though Laughing , useing it more or less every other day. I make up a portion before each use and make it a little bit different each time - it's such fun!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Glad it worked out for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
hi all.... i was googling DIY recipe (since i realized i have spent so much moeny this month on skincare alone), and i found this website, fromnaturewithlove.com
they have a lot of intersting things. my question is, has anyone bought from them? i am going to buy some stuff from them, but before i want to make sure they are reputable.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:34 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
hi all.... i was googling DIY recipe (since i realized i have spent so much moeny this month on skincare alone), and i found this website, fromnaturewithlove.com
they have a lot of intersting things. my question is, has anyone bought from them? i am going to buy some stuff from them, but before i want to make sure they are reputable.
Never heard of them, sorry! Most of us buy our supplies fromwww.thepersonalformulator.com and I can also personally recommendwww.aroma-pure.com.

Good luck and have fun!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I am moving this post I made in the thread "what bath & body products are you using at the moment":

-Salt Scrub for Body: Dead Sea Salt, apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil, sea kelp (mix until desired texture).

-Sugar Scrub for Body: Turbinado Sugar, apricot kernel, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, honey (mix until desired texture).

-Body Balm or Lip Balm: (1/3 oil) sweet almond oil, olive oil (1/3 butter) shea butter, cocoa butter, (1/3 wax) beeswax. Melt all. Add Vit. E caplets and pour into containers, no preservative needed.

-Whipped Butters: shea butter or mango butter. Melt and whip with hand mixer until fluffy, put in jar, no preservative needed. If you want a fluffier whipped butter, add your favorite oil (sweet almond, etc.). 10% Oil, 90% Butter. Melt, whip with handmixer until achieved fluffiness.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm planning on making some homemade scrubs and was just wondering if anyone had purchased anything fromwww.essencesupply.com . Their stuff is pretty cheap compared to most so I don't know if it's good. Comments?
jellyberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Oops I must have double clicked. Sorry for the double posting =P
klytamnestra

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy

I have been lurking here for a couple of days, originally popping in to read product reviews. I was quickly seduced by the idea of home-made products. This weekend I began using the OCM and ACV toners on my combination, acne-prone skin. The toner stinks to high heaven, so shall have to see if the benefits outweigh the stink factor. Hubby wouldn't even kiss me after I put it on. So far I'm really digging the OCM, just have to see how my skin reacts to it over the next week or so.

Thanks for the great ideas!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
klytamnestra wrote:
Very Happy

I have been lurking here for a couple of days, originally popping in to read product reviews. I was quickly seduced by the idea of home-made products. This weekend I began using the OCM and ACV toners on my combination, acne-prone skin. The toner stinks to high heaven, so shall have to see if the benefits outweigh the stink factor. Hubby wouldn't even kiss me after I put it on. So far I'm really digging the OCM, just have to see how my skin reacts to it over the next week or so.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Welcome from the shadows! On the AVC - yes - it stinks to high heaven, lol but - if you add EO's to it the smell is dramatically reduced. Re-read the posts on the AVC you'll find some suggestions there. I think I added Lemon and Ylang Ylang to mine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
jellyberry wrote:
I'm planning on making some homemade scrubs and was just wondering if anyone had purchased anything fromwww.essencesupply.com . Their stuff is pretty cheap compared to most so I don't know if it's good. Comments?

Great site - lots of fun stuff on there. I did some quick price comparisons for this site and the personal formulator on the carrier oils only and found the personal formulator to be a better value. But - the site you recommend offers products that the personal formulator doesn't. So....off to place a new order, lol!! Thanks Jelly!!

*edited to note - essence supply does offer 20% discount on US orders, better...

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865; Np =) I'm planning on ordering from essencesupply soon. I haven't made up my list yet but I'm sure it'll be quite long =)
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
jellyberry wrote:
Candy8865; Np =) I'm planning on ordering from essencesupply soon. I haven't made up my list yet but I'm sure it'll be quite long =)

Yea - thanks to you Missy I placed an order last night too, then because I was comparison shopping on the Personal Formulator I placed ANOTHER order there. Hubby is gonna crown me!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Hey, can any of my fellow DIYers provide me with a source from which to purchase such ingredients as “marshmallow root extract,” licorice extract and tumeric extract? I’m working on a homemade version of Jurlique’s Deep Penetrating Cream Mask, sans Calendula extract as it seems to give many of us breakouts a couple of days after use. I’ve already come up with a pretty good “base” for the mask but I’d like to include the marshmallow and licorice, if possible but I haven’t been able to locate a source to buy it from and – unfortunately – TPF doesn’t seem to carry those type of “speciality” ingredients.

TIA,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Marshmallow and Tumeric here -
www.iherb.com

Marshmallow & Licorice & Tumeric Extract here -http://www.naturessunshine.ca/products/productsatoz/index.asp?searchstring=L

(but the marshmallow is cheaper at the 1st site)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:59 am      Reply with quote
I just posted this in another thread but thought it needed to be included here as well....

carekate wrote:
Lara1 wrote:
You have mentioned other type of cleansing oil. What would that be?
You can use any type of oil that you want for OCM -- even that Extra Virgin Olive Oil that you've probably already got in your kitchen cupboard right now! Or a mixture or blend of two or more oils, depending upon the needs of your skin. Some oils, like castor, are more "astrigent."

Here is a basic primer on the different types of oils that I have cut and pasted from the Personal Formulator's downloadable PDF catalog:

• Avocado oil - nourishes and restores dry, dehydrated skin. It is rich in It is rich in vitamin A, B1, B2, D, E and panothenic acid.

• Borage oil - It contains gamma linolenic acid, a fatty acid used in cosmetics as an emollient, antioxidant, and cell regulator. It is used to promote healthy skin growth and is an anti-inflammatory agent.

• Castor oil - it is an excellent emollient (leaves the skin soft & smooth), good hair conditioner (repairs & nourishes the hair, stimulates the scalp), moisturizer & lubricant (gives shine to lipsticks & lip balms). It can be added to formulas as is to the oil phase. Castor oil is used in creams, lotions, hair care products, bath oil, sun & baby care products, lip care products. It is extremely useful for brittle nails and dry chapped skin.

• Grapeseed oil - It is an emollient oil that also has good antioxidant properties.

• Jojoba oil - This oil is an excellent moisturizer; emollient (prevents transdermal water loss), anti-wrinkle agent (provides smoothness & softness), good lubricant (without oil film,
penetrates the skin), protects partly from UV radiation (SPF about 4). It penetrates skin rapidly and nourishes, softens and moisturizes.

• Kukui oil - It is high in essential fatty acids and is helpful for softening and restructuring skin. It
is an excellent choice for sensitive skin and skin that is mature, damages and wrinkled.

• Lanolin oil - This oil is used as an emollient, conditioner and moisturizer. It has limited water-in-oil emulsifier properties. The typical use is 2-10% in skin care applications such as creams and lotions.

• Macademia Nut oil - It is similar to the sebum produced by human skin. It is high in palmitoleic acid and an excellent for skin conditioning after exposure to the sun. Its absorption rate is high and blends well in emulsions.

• Safflower oil - It is used for its moisturizing properties and will not irritate skin or aggravate acne. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in lip balms.

• Sesame oil - This oil has aromatic, soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Sesame Oil
has sunscreening properties SPF 4 on its own. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in massage oils.

• Soy Bean oil - It has natural moisturizing factors and antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in massage oils. <Note: you've probably already got soy bean oil in your cupboard too -- have a look at the label on your bottle of Crisco vegetable oil!!>

• Sunflower oil - it contains vitamins A, C, D, E and is high in linoleic acid. This oil will not irritate skin or aggravate acne. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in massage oils.

• Sweet Almond oil - It is an excellent emollient (leaves the skin soft, smooth &amp; conditioned), good nourishing and revitalizing effect (penetrates well the skin), moisturizer; lubricant, heals injured and chapped skin. This oil is used in creams, lotions, protecting and healing creams, ointments, bath oils, makeup &amp; sun care products, personal &amp; baby care products.

• Wheat germ oil - It is a rich source of vitamin A, E, D and in protein. This oil has nourishing and antioxidant effects. It can be used in hair and skin care applications, particularly anti-wrinkle creams.

• Apricot Kernal oil - It is an excellent softener for the delicate skin around the eyes, mouth and neck.

The above list is not all-inclusive, there are many other oils out there, it is merely provided to give you an idea about all the different types of oils that can be used in OCM. Pick out 2-3 that suit your skin type and/or needs and begin experimenting. There's no law that says you absolutely must include castor oil in your OCM blend in order to use the oil cleansing method successfully.

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Marshmallow and Tumeric here -
www.iherb.com

Marshmallow & Licorice & Tumeric Extract here -http://www.naturessunshine.ca/products/productsatoz/index.asp?searchstring=L

(but the marshmallow is cheaper at the 1st site)
Thanks, Candy! What about "carrot root extract" -- I can't seem to find that anywhere (you know, the stuff that makes the Dermalogica Mult-Vit Power Recovery Mask orange!!!)....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
(but the marshmallow is cheaper at the 1st site)Thanks, Candy! What about "carrot root extract" -- I can't seem to find that anywhere (you know, the stuff that makes the Dermalogica Mult-Vit Power Recovery Mask orange!!!)....

Girl - you slip me a tough one from time to time...thinking there must be another name that's could be used for this as I had a tough time locating it (* while searching answered my own dumb question Rolling Eyes Daucus Carota Sativa Root Extract (Carrot) ) but.....here ya go. Price seems reasonable, though I didn't look at their shipping costs (that's where they get ya!!)

http://www.naturesgift.com/essential/descriptionc-d.htm#CARROTROOT
http://www.alternative-medicines.com/services/bulk/bulkdof.htm
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=oilcarrot
http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/nsp/adaptamax_energy_stress.htm

Whew - hope this is what you were looking for. Though I now have foudnd ALOT of the products we use everyday contain this, so was a nice multi-task Very Happy

5% products discount

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
HOMEMADE MAC FIX+

Why spend 18 dollars on MAC's Studio Fix: Fix+ (which was raved about on makeupalley.com) when you can make it right at home?
I gathered the ingredients from the Skindeep site, and gee, it's not that different from gathering a cheap batch at home.

Here's what I got. Mix all this in a nice spray-bottle:

* Fill half of the bottle (whatever is your preference) with Rosewater (which I chose to replace the natural spring water that MAC uses, simply cause it smells nice Laughing )

*Add glycerin---vegetable glycerine works well for dehydrated skin, since it's a humectant (spelling? haha), nourishes skin, and helps to keep moisture in.

*Get some cucumber in there (half or less a cucumber will do). Squeeze juice out, or blend it. I blended mine---best to scrape off the peel of it first.

* Chamomile or any essential oil you choose. Graspeseed oil, Jojoba, Primrose...

* Something with a good amount of Caffeine. I used a green tea bag, soaked it in hot water, then added the content to the mix.

* MAC uses Castor Oil, so I put a little in. Not too much, I think it'd make you wayy too oily. I put barley a teaspoon.

* Add a little Vitamin C if you wish

Mix it all together, and spray over your makeup when you're feeling a little murky and muddy. It'll instantly lift you up, make you feel nice, and set your foundation to a nice glow. Especially mineral foundation.
I know some people that mix the Fix+ with their foundations. Apparently it hydrates the skin and helps to avoid dry patches.
It leaves a dewy finish, but you won't feel oily (depending on how you make the batch, that is).
I like soft dewy finishes, so I'm rather excited.

Have fun!

-Tia[/b]
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Here is a list of some of the suppliers I use. I thought it would be helpful for those looking to make their own recipes:

SUPPLIERS FOR SKINCARE INGREDIENTS

The Chemistry Store:
(Misc. Ingred., Chemicals)
http://www.chemistrystore.com/soaplinks.htm

Snow Drift Farm:
(Misc. Ingred.)
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/

LotionCrafters:
(Lotion Making Supplies)
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/home.php

Garden of Wisdom:
(Mango Butter, herbs, clays)
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/

To Die For Supplies:
(Misc. Ingred., Chemicals)
http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/category.php?category_id=77

Olive Tree Soaps:
(Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter-Cheap)
http://olivetreesoaps.com/

Agbanga Karite:
(Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter-the Best!)
http://www.agbangakarite.com/

WholesaleSuppliesPlus:
(Misc. Ingred., Skincare Containers)
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Group.aspx?Tab=1&GroupTab=1&CatalogID=2&GroupID=11&GroupTitle=Additives

BrambleBerry:
(Fragrance Oils-skincare)
http://www.brambleberry.com/

SweetCakes:
http://www.sweetcakes.com/

The Scent Works
http://store.scent-works.com/fragrances1.html

5% products discount

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
silke wrote:
Hi All,
I just discovered EDS a few days ago and am bummed I didn't find it sooner!
I love the DIY stuff, all your tips and recipes are great.
I'm a big fan of the Miracle Whip Mask/Peel, even after trying many of the newer expensive peels, I keep going back to it. It really takes off all the old dead skin (like an enzyme mask/peel) but is so mild, I can use it on my eyelids (You have to get used to the fumes first, though, so be careful!).
After reading about the Asprin mask, I was inspired to combine the two. It beats everything else I've ever tried! Better than any of the expensive facials or products I've spent money on through the years. I feel like I've just discovered the light bulb. Definitely my new HG!
I combined 1 tablespoon MW (has to be original formula, low fat and olive oil don't seem to work) with 3 crushed aspirin, spread it on and after 20 minutes, began to "roll" it off with my fingertips. All the dead skin just sloughs off! Kind of gross but great results! Afterwards, I really cleaned my skin well (otherwise, I break out, which I am very prone to) and followed up with Dr. H's toner and rejuvinating mask. My skin has never been so smooth! If you try this, make sure to really moisturize well and use sun screen, all those new cells need protection.
Thanks you guys! This is great!
Silke

Determined to love the aspirin mask even though I haven't had much success with it, I tried the above aspirin - MW combo. WOW! None of the dryness that I had previously experienced with other aspirin combos! This one is so gentle but effective all I was left with was clean, soft, balanced skin. I washed the remnants of the mask (the crumbs after the massage?) off with Cetaphil and a washcloth. My acne prone skin does not seem to be aggravated by it either! THANKS SILKE! It's my new HG too!!! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |