Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Could I have suddenly developed eczema?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all. My skin has been kind of freaking out lately. I attribute it to one of two (very unwise) things I did:
1) while in the bath I slathered vitamin C serum mixed w/ aloe vera gel on my face
2) since the homemade Yonka Emulsion Pur was working so well on my blemishes, I took a half dropper of it and mixed it with aloe gel and put it all over my face.

BAD bad bad. By the next day the skin all over my face was almost chapped-like, very dry, kind of scaly (and I normally have oily supple skin). I've been babying it every since, moisturizing a lot, using gentle cleansers, not using any of my oily-skin products.

But my left ear is also kind of scaly and now (a few days later) it's very itchy. I had been assuming that when I smeared stuff on my face I must've gotten my ears too in the course of getting it all over and on my neck, but the ear is now reacting differently... i.e. the face is healing and gentle exfoliation w/ a little baking soda in my cleanser and lots of oils seems to be working.

But the ear! So I guess the point of this long rambly post is: did I really just have a weird reaction to using things that were too harsh (not adequately diluted EOs or vit C/aloe), or could it be something like Eczema?

I've never had eczema... but reading the other poster's question about it today triggered my hypochondriac tendencies.

TIA
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
too strong vit C can cause these reactions, but eczema can also me triggered by allergic reactions.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Generally for me, eczema shows up as a red rash, very very itchy and there are tiny bumps that often will break open when scratched and ooze a clear liquid.

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv but since you don't mention your ear having a rash it's possible the skin is just really dry and that's causing the itchiness. Vitamin C even at 5% will dry my face out and cause flaking and redness.

Best advice is to keep moisturising the scaly areas, maybe with a vaseline-type product and if the itching gets really bad, put a little otc cortisone on it. I know many don't like cortisone but I think using a very mild concentration for a few days just to get over the worst itching will be ok. HTH.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
i agree with stardust. For me, eczema also occurs as red rash (not too itchy in my case).
keep moisturizing it. If it heals then reoccurs, then you should see a dr.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much!

I examined my ear more closely, and while it's dry/flakey/irritated, it really doesn't look like a rash.

I have the tendency get paranoid about anything abnormal, so it's wonderful to be able to ask a question and get knowledgeable helpful responses.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I think it may have been an allergic reaction. I have experienced this a couple of times, and strangely enough it was with aloe vera. I'm allergic to it, esp. the face area and particularly under the eyes. My Sister is also allergic to it. I did a little research on it a couple of years ago, and apparently it can cause sudden reactions even after years of using it. Different methods of processing or something. I just avoid it now, just in case. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
Thanks so much!

I examined my ear more closely, and while it's dry/flakey/irritated, it really doesn't look like a rash.

I have the tendency get paranoid about anything abnormal, so it's wonderful to be able to ask a question and get knowledgeable helpful responses.

np. I am like you, a bit paranoid about my skin. just want to get to the bottom of things. hope the dry skin clears out soon.
cheers
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |