Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need help in preventing and fixing upper lip lines!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Small Face Vaculifter worked like a charm for me!

Kassy would you mind sharing how oftern and for how long you use this?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Orlane Extreme Line Reducing Lip Care - I have been using around my lips and eyes and have noticed a difference. However, only once applied. It doesn't last after washed off. I think it is just a temp filler.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have not read the entire thread but have you tried facial exercises for the lip region? I love the ones from flex effect - highly recommend. and what about lips to kiss - L2K products?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Why hasn't anyone tried "Orlane Extreme Lp Reducing Lip Care"? I don't just use it for my lips, I use it for around my eyes. Now, I am nt going to lie....it is not a cure all. You have to apply it when you want it to work...it isn't going to work 24/7 forever....but I put it after my loction and it stays all night. I don't have to worry about smiling or laughing....it is there. Is it a miracle, NO! does it do the job for that night to hide what we don't want to be seen...YES.

And by the way, read my other other reviews: I am a 30 year old smoker and will never pledge my love to anything that is b*sh....Like Le Mer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Shelley01 wrote:
Why hasn't anyone tried "Orlane Extreme Lp Reducing Lip Care"? I don't just use it for my lips, I use it for around my eyes. Now, I am nt going to lie....it is not a cure all. You have to apply it when you want it to work...it isn't going to work 24/7 forever....but I put it after my loction and it stays all night. I don't have to worry about smiling or laughing....it is there. Is it a miracle, NO! does it do the job for that night to hide what we don't want to be seen...YES.

And by the way, read my other other reviews: I am a 30 year old smoker and will never pledge my love to anything that is b*sh....Like Le Mer.

I want something that may actually diminish these lines than something temporary, but this sounds like a good temporary fix!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
katebargold wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Sure Kate, I do it on average 3 X week for probably pretty close to a year now. (I would recommend building use gradually and regularly with Vaculifter's no matter where you are using them!)

I wrap my lips tautly over my teeth, and go back and forth horizontally above and below each lip 100 times. Then I suction + hold each area of both lips for a few seconds (till they fill with blood.)

My lines are 80% (or more) improved, and my lips are a little plumper. Also of importance is that I stopped drinking out of water bottles and using straws many months ago..

Also, to the dye hard smokers (of which I was for 45 years), be cheesy and use a cigarette holder with a flat tip, or look in the mirror to find ways to reduce making those lines while you take a drag...

Sad but true, if nothing changes, nothing changes, when it comes to the dreaded vertical lip lines.. Sad

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Also, to the dye hard smokers (of which I was for 45 years), be cheesy and use a cigarette holder with a flat tip, or look in the mirror to find ways to reduce making those lines while you take a drag...

Sad but true, if nothing changes, nothing changes, when it comes to the dreaded vertical lip lines.. Sad

Yep, Kandis from L2K told me to practice in the mirror with ways not to pucker when one smokes! I look like a dufus, but if it even prevents more I will be thrilled! Laughing
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I read a article recently which stated that skin damage: wrinkles, loss of elasticity etc. from smoking is greater in females than males. The wrinkles around the mouth of a smoker are not only from puckering but also from increased production of an enzyme that breaks down collagen!
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
katebargold wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Sure Kate, I do it on average 3 X week for probably pretty close to a year now. (I would recommend building use gradually and regularly with Vaculifter's no matter where you are using them!)

I wrap my lips tautly over my teeth, and go back and forth horizontally above and below each lip 100 times. Then I suction + hold each area of both lips for a few seconds (till they fill with blood.)

My lines are 80% (or more) improved, and my lips are a little plumper. Also of importance is that I stopped drinking out of water bottles and using straws many months ago..

Thanks Kassy will trot the vaculift out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Here's an interesting article on msnbc about a study done on identical twins and the differences in their skin as they aged due to a number of things such as smoking and sun damage: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33385839/ns/health-skin_and_beauty/

It also talks about what a difference HRT and birth control pills can make:

The longer a woman takes birth control pills or hormone-replacement therapy, and the higher the dose, the more likely she is to look younger. That’s partly because estrogen can increase water retention, helping to smooth out the skin. And although estrogen is contraindicated for some women and poses health risks as well as benefits, there is no question that “estrogen improves skin elasticity,” Guyuron says. In one case, a 69-year-old who had used hormone replacement for four years longer than her twin looked three-and-a-third years younger, despite having had more lifetime sun exposure.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I would think the vaculifter gives a temporary fix....then it goes down and eventually could make lines worse....from constant stretching thus making lines more prominent in the long wrong. What about using retin a , or renova or a retinol cream there and before application using a razor to shave the upper lip area to promote collagen growth?I remember reading here that is why men dont have upper lip line wrinkles...they shave every day.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc: It is funny that you should mention Renova and shaving because that is exactly what I am experimenting with. No results yet but it is too early since I just started using Renova about 2 weeks ago!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
lucyluc: It is funny that you should mention Renova and shaving because that is exactly what I am experimenting with. No results yet but it is too early since I just started using Renova about 2 weeks ago!

You are shaving that area, Starlight? Actually I think men don't get the wrinkles there due to their thicker skin, but that is my 2 cents. I think shaving before is just exfoliating the area and possibly letting the Retin A sink deeper. I'll be interested in you get any results, Starlight. I am using topical C, Retin A, and I'll be starting weekly glycolic peels to the area in a few weeks.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Revive Peau Magnifique at night only in that area, its very expensive.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I am using Revive Peau Magnifique at night only in that area, its very expensive.
I wish I could afford some of the products you use! I am envious but also happy for you!
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I always buy on ebay from power sellers wit strong feedback, am able to sometimes buy for 75% off retail, thats the only way I can afford brands like Revive.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I always buy on ebay from power sellers wit strong feedback, am able to sometimes buy for 75% off retail, thats the only way I can afford brands like Revive.
That is a good idea! I also purchase some things from e-bay! Lately I have had the worst luck with makeup and skin products on e-bay.
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
I was able to remove my lip lines with Valmont Lip Repair. It took about 12 months of use and the lines have not returned.

Really? I will try this, it seems to be a easy way than others
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Valmont is expensive and I have not been able to see a list of the ingredients....if you are going to pay that much you sould at least be able to know whats in it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Bringing up this post again. Found an article on forbes regarding men and women and lip lines.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/hscout/2009/12/17/hscout634104.html

Dermatologists discover gender differences that explain the aging inequity

THURSDAY, Dec. 17 (HealthDay News) -- Dermatologists have discovered yet another gender inequity: Women develop more and deeper wrinkles around their mouths as they age than men do.

The disadvantage had long been suspected, but a new study provides "irrefutable scientific evidence," said Dr. Foad Nahai, a plastic surgeon practicing in Atlanta and editor-in-chief of the Aesthetic Surgery Journal. The study appears in the November/December issue of the journal.

The authors of the paper believe they even know why women suffer more in this department.

"The gender differences were most probably due to the amount of appendages [hair follicles, sebaceous glands] and the connections between the skin and muscle of the lips," explained senior study author Dr. Moshe Kon, head of the department of plastic, reconstructive and hand surgery at University Medical Center Utrecht in the Netherlands.

"We had always had the impression that male skin doesn't age as rapidly as female skin," said Nahai. "What we didn't know, and this study points out, is that one of the reasons that lines are deeper in women is because they have fewer sweat or sebaceous glands, the glands that make the oil that keeps our skin feeling soft ... So women are producing less oil, which is protective and keeps the skin smoother."

Previous studies had not focused in on differences between men and women in the perioral area of the face, meaning the region around the mouth.

Women tend to go for procedures to remedy such wrinkles more often than men, although it hadn't been clear if women were just worried about how they looked or if their wrinkles were actually worse.

The authors studied the skin around the upper lip in both male and female cadavers, as well as reconstructions of those areas.

Several key differences between men and women emerged: women had fewer sweat glands around the mouth than men; women had fewer blood vessels so less blood flow to that region; the muscles around the mouth are closer to the skin than in men, which may pull the skin in tighter, causing wrinkles; and, although the number of hair follicles were about the same in both genders, men had more sweat glands per hair follicle, again contributing to more relaxed skin throughout aging.

Hormones also seem to play a role in women's dermatologic aging process.

"A lot of gender differences in health and disease are related to estrogens," said Dr. Seth Thaller, chief of plastic surgery at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

For instance, estrogens promote healing, meaning that women tend to heal from wounds faster. And postmenopausal women have reduced blood flow, again contributing to lines and furrows. And they experience a decrease in the fat (sebum) secreted by sweat glands.

Meanwhile, women on hormone replacement therapy have been reported to have fewer wrinkles than those not taking the hormones.

Something the authors did not mention were changes in the bone, which also contribute to more severe aging, said Dr. Jessie Cheung, associate director of cosmetic dermatology at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City.

"As you age, your jaw bone actually gets resorbed slowly so the bone shrinks down. That contributes a lot. The skin is going to get saggy because there's no scaffolding holding it up like a tent," she said.

Tissue also gets thinner as people age.

Many existing cosmetic procedures, including fat transfers, can remedy some of these changes, Cheung added.

But, said Nahai, "the best thing anyone can do to keep their skin young is avoid smoking and avoid the sun and keep it moist. Use moisturizers and use skin creams."

"Our findings might stimulate industry to develop applications which take the differences between men and women into consideration [like the use of specific hormones]," added Kon.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like we're on the right track using the Vaculifter and the Dermaroller. Get that blood pumping and build up the collagen with the Dermaroller.

Damn those wretched men! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Damn those wretched men! Laughing

Amen! Laughing
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've read this post right through and am interested in trying only topicals or home tools. I don't think topicals can really do very much but I am not ready to have injections. Products mentioned are Orlane line reducing lip care, Valmont lip repair and Revive peau magnifique (it IS expensive!!). Does anyone else have any feedback on these products? Or any others? I don't mind using a fix that is temporary either.

I've tried Revive lip and perioral cream and it didn't help but I probably didn't use it religiously.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the article, Riley. I still have HRT as a back-up plan in case Retin-A, etc. doesn't get rid of the lip lines. Laughing Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Thanks for the article, Riley. I still have HRT as a back-up plan in case Retin-A, etc. doesn't get rid of the lip lines. Laughing Laughing

You know, I am thinking Retin A, peels, and then just keeping the area moisturized might in time really have an impact, but it just takes so darn long!

I am in the throws of peri, but I have not really checked into HRT, as my major symptoms were 2 years ago, and now I don't have too much, other than the foggy brain. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Go Smile On The Go Sonic Blue Smart Brush Whitening Kit - White Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut V15

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |