Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitamin C / Antioxidant serum for sensitive skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Yulia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Smile

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Vitamin C / Antioxidant serum for sensitive skin? I have been wondering about Skinceuticals C+E Ferulic or Jan Marini C-Esta serum. I read somewhere that the Skinceuticals C+E Ferulic is suitable for dry and/or senstitive skin, but it also said that a slight stinging may be exerienced, and I'm reluctant to put anything on my skin that might irritate.

Cheers Very Happy
Yulia
Terihe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
SkinMedica makes a Vit C that is l-ascorbic in an anhydrous base to keep it stable. This type of base is pretty good for sensitive skin types. It comes in a tube.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Skinmedica is full of silicones to protect the C so make sure your skin is not sensitive to silicones. I like Cellular Skin Rx C+ Firming serum. It is in a propylene? or butylene? glycol base to stabilize the C but you have to know your skin is not sensitive to glycol solutions. Check your current products for "xxxxcone" ingredients and "xxxxx glycol" ingredients to see if you already use some with these then you can determine if you are or are not sensitive to them.
Mabsy

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:54 am      Reply with quote
I would recommend the Vivier 10% serum or maybe the CSRx 12.5% serum or the JB C&C 10% serum. They are less likely to sting than the Skinceuticals or Cellex-C (based on my experience anyway).

Jan Marini would be good to try as well if your skin is very sensitive IMO. It has a different type of vitamin C in it which is not as effective but it's more stable and less likely to irritate.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated! This forum is so helpful.

Cheers Very Happy
Yulia
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I like the Vit C serum from PSF. I'm not sure if its for sensitve skin or not.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Hello, I have done a lot of research on this topic. sodium ascorbyl phosphate is non irrating to sensitive skin, excellent for anti agin, ligtening hyper pigmentation and treating acne vulgaris.

AND IT'S and much more stable than L-Absobic ACID!

Here are a few references:
The best out the list is sodium ascorbyl phosphate. Research has shown it to be a stable form of vitamin C (Source: International Journal of Pharmaceutics, April 30, 2003, pages 65-73). Very Happy

(Source: International Cosmetic and Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, 10th Edition, 2004). So is there a best form of vitamin C for your skin? The simple answer is no, though many seem to be reliable and beneficial for skin.

L-ascorbic acid is a good option in terms of its potential bioavailability on skin, but Pinnell's own research about his prized form of vitamin C shows it is highly sensitive to formulary concerns, including concentration and the pH needed for it to remain stable (Source: Dermatologic Surgery, February 2001, pages 137–142). Current research has demonstrated that adding magnesium sulfate with L-ascorbic acid can make this form of vitamin C stable much longer without acidic pH concerns (Source: Journal of Cosmetic Science, January-February 2004, pages 1-12).

Ascorbyl palmitate is considered stable and there is research showing it to be effective as an antioxidant (Sources: Photochemistry and Photobiology, June 1998, pages 669–675; and Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, March 1997, pages 795–801).

In terms of stability, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is reliable for skin as well (Source: Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, Volume 15, Issue 6, March 1997, pages 795-801). A single study demonstrated that it can also be effective for skin lightening when used at a 10% concentration (Source: Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, January 1996, pages 29–33). That’s good to know, but, to the best of my knowledge, there are no products with that amount of magnesium ascorbyl phosphate available and no other research has duplicated those results (or compared it to other effective antioxidants).

Ascorbic acid Skin have also been shown to be potent and effective forms of vitamin C (with ascorbic acid being the entire vitamin C molecule).

The best out the list is sodium ascorbyl phosphate. Research has shown it to be a stable form of vitamin C (Source: International Journal of Pharmaceutics, April 30, 2003, pages 65-73).

IMPORTANT NOTE: All forms of antioxidants are extremely vulnerable to the presence of light and oxygen. When antioxidants are exposed to sunlight or air they quickly break down and deteriorate, losing their benefit for skin. This means the type of packaging used for formulations containing antioxidants (as well as other types of ingredients) is critical. As a general rule it is best to completely avoid products packaged in jar containers or any other container that exposes the product to air or light.

REMINDER: Despite the benefits topical vitamin C provides, it is important not to get hung up on any one antioxidant, regardless of its history. Aging is more complicated than just the loss or need for vitamin C—or any other vitamin, enzyme, protein, peptide, fatty acid, amino acid, or lipid in the skin. Although vitamin C is clearly an effective ingredient for skin, there are many antioxidants that are as good, including beta-glucan, vitamin E, vitamin A, green tea, grape extract, selenium, curcumin, lycopene, superoxide dismutase, and on and on. Furthermore, many researchers studying antioxidants and their effects on the human body feel the best plan of attack is to use multiple antioxidants rather than narrowing your choices to a few well-publicized options or the mistaken belief that there is a single “best” antioxidant to apply and consume
[/u][/b]
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |