Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone tried CVS' "Skin Effects" Wrinkle Relax
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MissMary

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm a newbie to the world of wrinkle-relaxing creams and serums, and there are so many out there that I don't want to get caught in an endless spending cycle.

I picked up a teeny sample jar of Skin Effects Wrinkle Relaxing Cream at CVS for $2.50. They also had a small trial tube of Wrinkle Relaxing Serum.

I think it did relax some of my less-severe lines (those "no. 11" lines between the brows), and it softened, but didn't eliminate, the horizontal lines on my forehead. But maybe it's just wishful thinking, LOL!

I heard that the ingredient to look for in these products is Argilerine (sp?). This one features lycopane.*

Before I shell out $29 for the regular size jar, I would love to hear from anyone who tried this, or your more learned opinions about the ingredients. Are there other products you would recommend? Thanks!

I'd love to do some Botox but it's a tad over my budget in my area (metro NYC) - I got a couple of quotes in the $500 range. Until I can afford it, I wouldn't mind finding a product that works temporarily, to use once in a while.

*The ingredients of the Skin Effects Wrinkle Relaxing Cream are: Purified Water; Hydroxyethyl Acrylate; Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer; Polysorbate 60; Gynostemma; Tomato Extract; Ethoxydiglycol; Eugenol; Butylene Glycol; Phenoxyethanol; Benzyl Alcohol; Fragrance
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
IMHO - no, it did NOTHING for me. But, I'm a 40 yr old woman and I work outside. Maybe for someone who's lines aren't as severe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
IMHO - no, it did NOTHING for me. But, I'm a 40 yr old woman and I work outside. Maybe for someone who's lines aren't as severe.

Ditto that and I'm 29. It didn't work on either the fine or the deeper lines. Luckily I only tried a $3.00 sample.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Sad I tried it before they offered samples. I got suckered for the full amount!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
There are no ingredients that would relax the muscles (like acetyl hexapeptide or vialox/pentapeptide). However, looks like they are using polymers to probably "fill" the lines to create a smoother appearance. If you want a good relaxer, try Relax-A-line or Relax Plus with Vialox. Both work very well for me. Also the AlphaDerma brand has acetyl hexapeptide in it, too. All sold here on EDS as well.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, the tomato extract in this is probably what they are claiming reduces wrinkles (in addition to the polymers that would temporarily fill in wrinkles, as betterat40 correctly pointed out). There seems to be some suggestive research showing that high concentrations of certain amino-acids found in nightshades (in belladonna, and in much lesser concentrations in tomatoes & eggplant skins) may have an inhibatory effect on certain neuro-receptors in the underlying muscles. This in theory would have a similar effect to AH3, but it was my understanding that the level of inhibition at high concentrations is very low, even when injected directly into the muscle. I would imagine that this effect would be even less pronounced when the active is applied topically, assuming that the molecules are small enough to permeate the stratum corneum.
Also, note that this initial research was done by the manufacturer of this product, and has not been independently reviewed. It will be interesting to see if there is any merit to these claims, and if any additional research comes out to either support or dispute this.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much! The concensus is clear, and I'm glad I asked before buying. Maybe the money I'll save should go to start a little "Botox fund," LOL!
ginger7681

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
The Skin Effects did well for me. The wrinkles became softer and less visible.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |