Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hormonal headaches/migranes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone found a natural cure for hormonal headaches/migranes?

Every month like clockwork I start getting these headaches before and after my cycle. I take Advil at the first twinge of pain which usually takes all or most of the pain away but I hate taking drugs of any kind and the pain is getting old. Confused

I've tried all kinds of supplements and herbs but they always seem to make things worse for me.

I eat very healthy, watch my sodium intake, exercise regularly, drink lots of water and don't have a lot of stress. I would just love to get my hormones balanced somehow so I don't experience this anymore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Every single month ~ for about a year, I would get a migraine 3 days before my period would start. I had to start taking Imitrex...I'm not fond of pills but they were terrible headaches. If Advil works for you, thats great. I ended up getting an IUD (for multiple reasons), and now no more hormone issues and no more migraines!!! GOOD LUCK!!
I did hear that certain BCP could help.

5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
i know it isnt natural but excedrin for tension headaches is unbelievable. i'm talking 6-7 minutes and my hormonal headaches are gone. in a 2 pill dose, there is as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, so if you're sensitive to caffeine, it may not be for you. but i love it. if you live in canada, this product is not available,but tylenol just came up with an equivalent that they market as ultra fast relief (and it is). its called tylenol ultra relief and its the exact formulation. godd luck
lisa

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi cloe - I'll be interested to see if anyone has a natural cure for migraines. I suffer with them too often. I'm menopausal now and get them more frequently than I did before. When I was younger, I knew I would start menstruating the day after I'd get a crushing headache.

But like lisarousie, the ONLY thing that helps me that isn't a prescription drug is Excedrin Migraine. My headaches often start in the evening, and when I first started using Excedrin, it would keep me awake because it's basically caffeine and aspirin. But eventually, this subsided and now I can take it at bedtime without suffering from insomnia. It's very important to take it as close to onset as possible, and if you do, you may only need to take one tablet. Otherwise, you'll probably have to take a higher dosage because it'll take longer to get over it if you wait too long. Also, it's best to eat something first so the pill doesn't upset your stomach. If you're nauseated from the headache and can't eat, at least try to take Pepsid with it to reduce the chance of stomach upset.

Good luck -- I know the pain can be crippling. I'm sorry I don't know a "natural" cure to pass along. But at least Excedrin has enabled me to get over a migraine and be able to function normally, rather than lying in my dark bedroom in absolute agony.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Have you ever tried the herb called FeverFew? I used it back when I was first diagnosed with migraines (1995) and it worked fabulously for me for about a year, but then my headaches got progressively worse... Crying or Very sad

Anyway, FeverFew is an herbal remedy that is very popular in Europe for treating migraines (or so I was told when I first started investigating its useage back then). You take FeverFew to treat a migraine that's already started as well as take a daily dose to prevent them from starting.

Just a suggestion....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Magnesium and B2 and B3. My herbalist recommended them. There are several studies about hwo and why they work. Do a YAHOO search to learn more.

I have been using this method for about 6 months and have only had one mild headache (that only lasted about an hour). Prior to this I was getting intense migraines twice a month. A few days before my monthly visitor I'd get one that would last from 24-72 hours. And the day following AF leaving, I would get one that lasted about 24 hours. Definitely hormonal. Nothing wokred for me. Not changes in diet. Not over-the-counter meds. Not giving up caffiene. Not even precription meds.

This works for me. It may not work for everyone, but it might be worth a shot.
Lori

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions. Smile

Geesh! The things us girls go through. As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, etc. are not enough.

I do take Natural Calm, a magnesium supp. that has done wonders for most of my pms symptoms and helps me sleep through the night. Maybe adding the B2 & B3 will help. I will do a search.

I tried feverfew and was bummed it didn't help me. Crying or Very sad I know it works for a lot of people.

And as for OTC stuff, I will keep the Excedrin in mind if the Advil begins to fail me.

Amazing that the IUD would do such wonders. I wonder how it balances everything and what's in it? I know it's hormones, it's just really interesting. I would love to reproduce that natually. Or figure out what my body is missing so it can produce those hormones natually and balance out. Oh, the frustration of the human body!!!

You are all wonderful. Thanks again for helping. Very Happy
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
As a fellow migraine suffer, the only thing in the world that works for me is pain medication (over the counter will not touch mine), mine can be so terrible that my doctor gave me a nasal spray, since there is no way in the world i could even attempt an emergency room visit. I am in the tiny percent that imatrex only makes them worse. All i can say is best of luck, these things are horrible.

Melissa
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wow MelissaMarie, this cannot be good. I'm sorry you have it so bad. Great that the nasal spray works for you.

Have you changed your diet and tried everything to get at the root cause? Do you have any idea what it could be from or why yours are so bad?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
cloe - I think an advantage of using an IUD is that you're not introducing extra hormones to your system (unless you use the Mirena). They prevent fertilization by merely being a presence in the cervix. I used a copper IUD (when I still needed it!) when I developed a pulmonary embolism after just one month's use of birth control pills. There can be risks and side effects so read up on them.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
m.april - that's so interesting. Thanks for the info. Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
BTW cloe, migraines may be triggered/exacerbated by hormonal flux, but they're generally thought to be caused by some kind of vascular anomaly which causes dilation. This is why caffeine can help -- it's vaso-constrictive.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
OOOhhhh. Surprised More good info. Thank you.

I guess that's why they say to use ice, too.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've had these headaches forever, they can be heriditary (mine are). Until I hit my late 30's I never ever had them around my period, unfortantly I cant say that any longer. Red wine triggers mine, perfumes can trigger them in seconds, unless just plain pure oils, ect. I pretty much get one or two a month, some are easily controlled others are pure hell. If you find anything amazing let us know. The nasal spray is just a very fast way to get alot of pain meds in ur system fast. Sad to say the pain meds relieve the pain but none of the symtoms, so you still get violently ill ect....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
...mine can be so terrible that my doctor gave me a nasal spray
Would that be Stadol NS? I was on it for over 10 years for my migraines, but it started to give me rebound headaches that were nearly as horrific as the actual migraines themselves. Nowadays I’m on a regimen of vasioconstrictors, mild sedative/pain med and I take a daily dose of 15mg of Methadone, which replaced the Stadol. I’m never completely pain-free and haven’t been since 1995, but the Methadone takes enough of the edge of that I’m able to function a bit better than I was when taking the Stadol. The other good part about the Meth is the fact that it doesn’t knock me out like the Stadol did, so I’m still able to drive a car and go to work most of the time. I used to miss a couple of days of work per week, but I’m happy to report I can now go as long as two weeks at a time before I am felled by a severe attack again. How sad is it that I consider that to be a victory?! I’ve got so much scar tissue on my ass from getting pain injections over the last dozen years that I don’t even feel it anymore when they give me an injection!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Caretake,
yes it is stadol, but I only take it on the worst of the worst, and yes it knocks my lights out, but at that point I truely am greatful for the knockout. I've tried just about every combo of meds out there and still only thing that gets me thru is pain meds. If I can catch it in the first ten minutes I can normally fend one off with just a pain pill ( and then like you I can go about my day), then theres the ones that no matter what are here for a few days. But I will also say, when the horrendous ones appear there is no way I can go about my day at all. I havent really had the rebound ones with any of these meds, at least not yet and I've been on this program for a good ten years or so. I will say I found the codiene meds work the best for me, the other pain meds, ie. vicoden, dont work for my headaches at all, and infact will get rebound headaches on those. Sorry so many suffer from these. Hope I answered you caretake even if a bit longwinded...sry
Melissa
hattie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Well, here is a subject I'm no stranger to! I, unlike you, had a hystorectomy including my overies at the age of 26. I am now 47. I stared with migrines 6 years ago. I have one monthly, like clockwork. Just like they are cycled. Same day of the month. They last 2-3 days. They are awful. Nausea & vomiting from the pain. I am on two prescription preventatives & I take Relpax when I have one. I also have demorol for pain. I do take HRT but Dr's say since it is constant dosage, has no part in the migraines. No family history & tried the elimination diet....no improvement.
You would think I was just going through menopause but I think I did that years ago...
My neurologist did suggest Migrahealth. I havn't tried this yet, but it has magnesium, feverfew & B2 in it. Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. Any new info, please share!!
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying several different things at the moment and will update if any or all of them work out. Smile
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am just praying I dont end up with rebound ones like caretake, I'd truely cry if this stopped working for me.
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I also have hormonal migraines which started about a year ago. But, they have now increased to happening three times a month. For me, anything over the counter won't even touch them. As a matter of fact, Imitrex didn't do anything either so I'm about to start taking Relpax and something for the nausea. They're terrible! Not to discourage.. but I also tried a lot of natural remedies and nothing worked. Sad
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fellow migraine sufferers Sad

Right now my drug of choice are excedrin and relpax. I compared the ingredients of the extra strength excedrin and excedrin for migraine, they are the same. Now I just stick with extra strength excedrin. My dr told me to take 2 right off the bat and I usually take a pepcid with them since they make me nauseaous. My doctor also told me I can take up to 8 excedrins a day.

I reserve my relpax for really bad ones. I had one that lasted for 4 days and I ran to my dr in tears. She gave me a sample of relpax and it worked within a few hours.

Those damn hormones...not only I get migraines, I also get weird hives Crying or Very sad

I have tried imitrex and feverfew. Didn't do a thing...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I am using EstroSence right now. Just started last week so i will let you know if this helps me.

This product is all natural and are vegetarian capsules. They are made by lorna vanderhaeghe.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing, Fierce. I'd love to know how it works out. Very Happy
jazzybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi, there,

I'm a long time migraine sufferer as well and like others here, Excedrin Migraine has helped cut back on the pain tremendously. I don't know what I'd do without it, but when I'm hit with a migraine and I've forgotten to bring my Excedrin with me(I usually carry it with me always), I have found that sniffing the freshly cut peel of citrus(particularly a tart orange or maybe a lemon) helps. I know it smells very odd, but my mom heard about that tip from someone at her work and it actually helps to soothe the pain a bit. It also helps to cover my eyes with one of those lavendar pillows and rub my temples with a lavendar oil balm. So, put a lavendar pillow on your eyes, rub your temples with the lavendar balm(or eucalyptus--someone said this helps, too) while sniffing a freshly cut tart orange peel. lol. SOunds weird, I know. Oh, and don't forgot to shut out all the light and make sure everyone stays very very quiet(I'm sure all migraine sufferers know what I mean). Hope this helps some. Smile
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I do put peppermint oil under my nose, helps alot, but gets rid of pain NO WAY, but does help and I had forgotten to add this earlier.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |