Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Dr Hauschka Night Serum (20 ml) Go Smile On The Go Sonic Blue Smart Brush Whitening Kit - White
omg lice
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
fierce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
This is more of a warning and you will see why after i tell of my dreadful week.

Monday night I found a louse in my hair. I freaked out. I was so upset i was crying. How could this happen to me, I am a clean freak. I called my doctor and asked them if they thought it was lice and what I should do. the receptionist freaked on the phone and said "well you cant come in here. You need to buy shampoo stuff( i forget what it was called) and do treatments in your hair and bath in it and wash everything in my house and get my carpets cleaned" and she went on and on, then proceeded to cancel my appointment i had on thursday for my results from an ultrasound i had done two weeks ago. Then she said she needed to talk to the doctor and phone me back. She never phoned back.

i was mortified, felt so dirty. we bought the hair stuff put it in my hair and my boyfriends as well. then we went into public health and had our hair looked at. They found nothing. Just a couple dead eggs in my hair. And asked Where i had been in the last month that i might of had head to head contact with someone.

Christmas I wore a santa hat that i bought at walmart. She thought that was too long ago for i would of had been itchy by now and eggs everywhere. she said in the last two weeks where have you been. I have been sick so the only place i have been to was the ultrasound. she figured they did not clean the bed between patients and i picked it up there. she also told me to ease my mind that they like clean hair so it should not be thought of only dirty people can get it.

So my advice to everyone now is really watch where you lay your head. Of all places I would think a clinic that has paper on beds and spray sanitizers you would think you are laying on a clean bed. When i think of it, i lay on those beds for eye brow waxing, laser hair removals, doctors office.

lol i have now bought shower caps that i will wear when i lie on the beds from here on in... now dont laugh I am such a germ freak that its the only way. i should say i am also looking for a new doctor for public health said it was bad that the doctors office acted in such ways when their patient called.

has anyone else encounted such problems?
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I've never ever had a problem...but will be extra careful after reading about your nightmare!! I bet every itch has you running for a mirror to check!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
oh you bet i run for the mirror. plus i have been washing my sheets and vacuuming the mattress every day... not reusing anything. like i said before i have always been a clean freak, always cleaning. But now I am even worse.

I guess you just never know.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm grossed out about the Santa hats at Walmart...who hasn't played with one of them??? No more...never again!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I worry about movie theaters. Those seats CAN'T be cleaned and think of how every head just rubs right up against them for several hours at a time. Plus there are lots of little kids in theaters and they are a primary source for lice! I try not to think about it b/c I LOVE the movies!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
If you're worried about your mattress why don't you leave it out in the bitter cold for a night? That should probably be enough to kill any lingering pests - I know it works for bed bugs.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Your doctors receptionist shouldn't have been so rude about it... Rolling Eyes

A lil lice never killed anyone. I've never had it. Doesn't sound like it's too bad of a case. See your pharmacist, they'll tell you exactly what to do...or look it up online if you're embarrassed!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
fierce,
Just FYI, and to make you feel better. It's a misconception that your head must be dirty if you have lice. Lice actually prefer a clean head. The dirtier your hair is, the more difficult it is for lice to exist there because of the natural oils on your scalp & hair.
Also, if you're worried about your mattress, you can buy one of those dust mite covers for your mattress. It zips around your whole mattress & seals it up. Nothing can get in our out. If you do a search online, you will find them in those allergy stores. Also Bed BAth & Beyond has them as well. They're not cheap, but they do work.
Good luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka,

thanks for that tip. I did not know there was such a thing as dust mite covers. i will look into it. i guess i should tell the funny part of the story.
I have one of those memory foam pads on top (which i love) and decided it would be ok to vacuum it. WRONG. As soon as i placed the vacuum on the foam it took out a chunk. Needless to say I was not in a clear state of mind at the time lol.

lianne,

You are right. The receptionist was a bit over the top. That is probably what got me so worked up in the first place. telling me to steam clean the carpets and all that silly stuff. I only found one little bug (i like the word bug better than louse) And the public health nurse found two or three little eggs that were dead and said lucky that I just happened to notice.

All in all i am glad i posted, you guys have made me feel better. I was scared that it would have negative results with everyone.

Oh i should comment, I would leave the mattress outside for the night but it has been snowing here. Not such a good idea. I dont think there is anything in it anyways. Just me being over cautious
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I remember lice scares when I was in grammar school. My mother would french braid my hair so tight my head ached all day and I felt nauseous.... Embarassed

but now that I think of it, I think I'm gonna try the braids the next time I get my eye brows waxed and have to lay on a bed that others have laid on.

Thanks for the reminder on this issue.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to leave that doctor's office if you really like them otherwise. Let's face it, it was only the receptionist who freaked out and perhaps she does not reflect the opinion of the doctors. If it were me I'd call and speak to her supervisor and explain what happened so perhaps they can make their policy clear to you and you can decide whether or not you want to continue using them.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Working in a school I have lots of experience with lice. Both my girls have to be lice checked every week because it is a real problem where I live. I don't use the shampoos because they contain organo-phosphates which are really bad for you and they don't kil the eggs despite their claims.

The best way to deal with lice is to wash the hair and then add lots and lots of conditioner. Comb through the hair with a wide comb and then use a nit comb rinsing out into a jug between each passing. Rinse hair out and apply a small amount (2-3 drops) of citronella or neem EO. Repeat every 3 days for a fortnight, keep applying the EO which helps repel the little so and sos.

Towels and pillow slips need to be cleaned, but they do not live long away from the body (about a day I think), so unless you regularly roll around on your carpets, they do not need to be scrubbed or anything like that.

Also, hair lice live in head hair, so unless you are like Cousin It with long fine hair all over your body, do not wash in those shampoos, you just risk absorbing more harmful chemicals into your body. They will not live in pubic hair, though they will try and find a way upwards if one becomes caught there.

Sorry for such a long post!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Towels and pillow slips need to be cleaned, but they do not live long away from the body (about a day I think), so unless you regularly roll around on your carpets, they do not need to be scrubbed or anything like that.

ROFL!! That's so funny - someone should forward this to the girl that demanded steam-cleaning of the entire house!! hah
fierce
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
chimera,

I think i get offended fairly easy. That is why I would like to change doctors. It actually is a small practice so she is the receptionist/nurse, and then there is the doctor. Thats it.

As an update i have phoned back to see if i can get my results from my ultrasound and she said i am still no allowed in their office and they cant give me results over the phone. They will call me back.
I need these results because i have been having terrible problems with my uterus. So now I have to go to a walk in clinic and get one of those doctors to get my results for me. such a hassle for such a small problem with lice.

guapagirl,

what is neem EO??
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
EO = Essential Oil

I don't know about alberta but in BC it's hard to find a doctor accepting paients. The only reason I got in with mine is I had a referal from my old doctor. (I wanted a female dr). Ask the nurse for a referral to a larger practice and don't be shy to tell her it's because she's a *itch.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
fierce wrote:
chimera,

I think i get offended fairly easy. That is why I would like to change doctors. It actually is a small practice so she is the receptionist/nurse, and then there is the doctor. Thats it.

As an update i have phoned back to see if i can get my results from my ultrasound and she said i am still no allowed in their office and they cant give me results over the phone. They will call me back.
I need these results because i have been having terrible problems with my uterus. So now I have to go to a walk in clinic and get one of those doctors to get my results for me. such a hassle for such a small problem with lice.

guapagirl,

what is neem EO??

Not allowed in the office???? Not acceptable. I'd be waiting for them at their door first thing Monday morning. What are they going to do... call the police??? PLEASE~

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
WOW I can't believe she said that!!! You are entitled to the results of your test - I agree that you should just walk in and demand your paperwork! I'm shocked that a trained medical professional is so misinformed about the nature of lice - does she think they're going to jump off of your head and infect the whole office, especially after you've been sucessfully treated??? Please!
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
WOW I can't believe she said that!!! You are entitled to the results of your test - I agree that you should just walk in and demand your paperwork! I'm shocked that a trained medical professional is so misinformed about the nature of lice - does she think they're going to jump off of your head and infect the whole office, especially after you've been sucessfully treated??? Please!

...and since there's a possibility you picked it up there. Mad definitely, just walk in there.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
I've never ever had a problem...but will be extra careful after reading about your nightmare!! I bet every itch has you running for a mirror to check!!

I have worked in schools for awhile, and I caught when I was younger and let a litle girl play with my hair, I know not very smart LOL. she was later sent home with lice Sad

After, I got rid of it, I was paranoid checking the mirror Smile

Well, I have curly hair, so it was a pain using the comb to do that evry night for quite awhile. Now that I'm getting thinner hair, mostly genetic, I blame it on the poisons I used when i was a little kid , so I used tea tree oil and lavender and rosemary EO (essential oils) to get rid of them that time.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Well the only other doctor in town that is accepting new patients receptionist told me that because i have doctor, I cannot be accepted as a new patient.. She went on to say that they only accept new patients to the town i live in. I told her I am new to town and she said doesnt matter. So i have called public health again and complained about my doctors office actions and the fact there is no where else. They are going to look into it for me. So lets hope it brings some results.

As for just walking into the doctors office and giving them a piece of my mind... I wish i could. Lol I can be a push over.

I will let you all know how things go at the beginning of next week.

Here is a tip i used for combing my hair with the horrible nit brush:

Some websites i looked at suggested using olive oil to cover the hair for 9 hours and it will smother the lice. I am not sure if it will do that but putting the oil in my hair for a couple hours then rinsing it out made it so much easier to pull that little comb through. ( i have longish thick thick hair) I also suggest that since the drugstore products that kill lice are soooo harsh on your hair, do some oil treatments right after. Leave in for as long as possible.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
The 9 hour olive oil trick is a myth, but it will make combing out easier, but wet hair combing with conditioner (and loads of it ...just buy cheap stuff) is better, because the increased volume of water in the hair makes it harder for the lice to move, so you don't miss the bleeders when you comb them.

If your hair is long and thick, it is best to get someone to do it for you if possible.

Finally, if you catch any live ones, save them in tissue and shake them on the receptionists head (surreptitiosly of course) as she leaves work Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
lol guapagirl you know that has crossed my mind but then the old saying "do onto others as you would have them do onto you" comes to mind lol (just kidding of course). Plus there hasnt been any lice noticed alive or dead in my hair. YAY.

I have assumed the olive oil treatment was a myth. But for me conditioner wasnt enough,
did not coat my hair to allow the "nit comb" to run through. For me the oil was a bit more effective for that. my boyfriend has been combing through every strand every night since monday. He has found nothing but does it without one complaint. (takes about an hour and a half)

My hair is really damaged though from a certain hair salon whom did not understand what i was looking for when i went in to get my roots done. (a whole other story) lol. Might be why conditioner was not enough for me.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Bit OT, but you could try using pure aloe vera gel in your hair. It is very good for conditioning the hair.

Your Bf must have the patience of a saint! My oldest has really thick long curly hair and I remember the dread of going through her hair. I had to do it twice a week at one point because there were so many kids with lice and parents who didn't give a damn. I'm not kidding, their heads were MOVING they had so many! Poor Lucy used to sit for hours as I sectioned it up and went through with tweezers for the eggs and a comb for the lice.

I am so glad that both of my girls are at the age when they aren't totally huddles with their mates, as infestations are far fewer, though I still check weekly.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl,

Yes he does have patience like you wouldnt believe(almost makes me do things just to test his patience lol so far unsuccessful, just kidding) Laughing
I have been reading more about lice and found alot about products not killing the eggs in your hair and if you dont get them all out, they will hatch and you will have lice again? Wow are they really that hard to get rid of? if this is the case when my son starts school, he will sport a shaven head.

I thought I would say I really like your quote.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fierce,

Have you tried Cetaphil? Here is a story about a guy who did a study with an experimental lotion that was 96% effective in killing lice. He later admitted he was using Cetaphil!

http://staffweb.esc12.net/~mbooth/resources_general/school_health_professional/shp%20nov%2022,%202005.pdf

Here's another site with directions on how to use it. Just scroll down the page a short distance.
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/nursery/lice.htm

Just in case you're interested.

Cloe
System
Automatic Message
Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

DeVita Solar Protect SPF 30 with Aloe-Hyplex (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Miracle Mask (15 ml  / .5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |