Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
What the best makeup primer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
What the best makeup primer?

I don't it to make me look greasy and my skin is sensitive, and tends to break out easily.
hollywood
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
I stray, but I seem to always go back to the Cle de Peau SPF22 primer. It looks as though it will leave a white cast, but if you use just a pea-sized amount, it eventually fades. I know it's expensive, but I would swear that a tube lasts me almost a year! The True cosmetics mineral powder looks great over it!
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Anything else?
leokadia
5% products discount

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I like the makeup primer from Nars.Nars Makeup Primer is a gel-cream that can be applied as a base layer for smoother, longer-lasting makeup for all skin types. Natural botanicals are added to aid in the reduction of redness, also making it an excellent after shave for men to soothe irritated skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I use Pure Luxe Line Eraser as a makeup primer and it works great, but I'm not sure how it would be on sensitive skin. It seems very similar to LaPrairie's Rose Illusion Line Filler, which I had a sample of and loved, but is very pricey. If your skin is more on the oily side, you might like Clinique's Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector...it's very mattifying. hth
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
you can try Lorac's oil-free Neutralizer...

or

pureluxe's powder eraser (powder version of line eraser)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I'm a fan of smashbox photofinish primer in clear

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I hear NARS makeup primer is really good. I have primer from Make-up forever which is quite good and it doesnt clog pores so it wont cause breakouts which is great as well

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I use Guerlains Pure Radiance primer. It's awesome. Very Happy
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Gaye Hayman's Youth Lift as a primer with or without makeup. For a mature woman I highly recommend this product. My skin feels smooth and firm for hours after application. Most antiaging primers can leave a stiff feeling on your face. I don't find this at all with Youth Lift. I get mine from Ebay when there is a good buy. Worth a go if you want a firmer skin tone. Wink
jazzybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm also a fan of Smashbox Photofinish Primer. Aromaleigh Porcelain mattifier is good, too. Also, a great drugstore alternative is good old Milk of Magnesia. Smile
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Not marketed as a make-up primer, but Paula Begouin makes a new skin balancing anti-oxidant concentrate. From the reviews I've read, it works like a make-up primer, absorbs oils & provides anti-oxidants. She also has a normal-dry skin version. It's worth checking out. Smile
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I have used everything from la prairie to smashbox. The best I have used is Peter Thomas Roth's Mattifying Primer, skin looks flawless. I also like cle de peau's stick primer as well.
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Laura Mercier primer and it works pretty well too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:26 am      Reply with quote
didn't like Nars it smelt like plastic!

Smashbox photofinish is very good - if you want a cheap alternative the body shop do a clear silicone primer.

Model Prefer on QVC have a slightly yellow tinted primer, again it's silicone based and works well.

Gale Haymen - as winnie says this produces a nice little lift to the skin and works well for holding make-up although it works more on tightening due to egg white than smoothing in/over like the silicone based products.

Mojave qvc again! has something that is not a primer but a brightening moisturiser in white and tinted which gives a nice lift & light reflecting base for make up if you prefer a dewy look.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
anyone heard of Lancome Transparence base? btw, do any of u know any primer that brightens or give ur skin a glow prior to foundation? Thanks! Smile
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I love smashbox primer and they just came out with a bronzing primer to add a glow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I can add that to my list of have-to-have's....a bronzing primer! Too cool!
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Smashbox will be on QVC's day of beauty to introduce it. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry,
Tomorrow is the day of beauty.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:08 am      Reply with quote
I wear make up about twice a week. A bronzer, conclear, mascara and lip gloss. I have never thought to wear a primer, is it really necessary? I am a private english teacher for a russian family in Moscow so there is no need to wear makeup every day here.
Do I really need to use a primer?
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:26 am      Reply with quote
not really if you are happy with the effect you're getting, I tend to use them when I want a more professional look, like out for a meal where I don't want any foundation slippage or to help with shine control.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I'd recommend Jane Iredale Absence. Don't use the sponge it comes with but rather use a stiff foundation brush for a light layer. Be careful not to use too much because it doesn't look as good.
mandy
5% products discount

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE Aloette's Flawless Skin Perfecting Serum. I very rarely wear face makeup but I bought the Flawless because I heard it helps control shine. I have a very oily T-zone. WOW. I was sooooo impressed with the Flawless. I no longer have to use blotting tissues or powder during the day.

I tried Smashbox's primer before but it did absolutely nothing to mattify my skin. And the product dried up before I could use it all up. It felt nice on my skin though.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:29 am      Reply with quote
I started with Smashbox but I like Ramy better. It is pricier and thinner, smells like fresh cucumbers, yum, but I like it better.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |