Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
summer/ winter skin care
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
It's summer here in Australia and I'm thinking ahead, but was wondering if anyone can recommend a good skin care range for winter-- most of you ladies are now in the thick of your winter so I thought now would be a good time to ask! Do you ladies have a summer and winter skincare regime that you're happy with? Or more to the point, do you think there should be a separate regime for these seasons? Please share....Very Happy I am 29 and have normal/ combination skin which tends to be dehydrated in the summer and winter.

I'm becoming more and more enticed by Skinsceuticals Vitamin C range for winter. I love the Phytomer products as they're so nourishing for summer-- can't tell you enough how much my skin has improved in tone and HEALTH since I started using Phytomer 4 months ago! For winter, I was going to incorporate one of the Phytomer serums under my moisturiser for day but at the moment looking at my options before I commit.:P I like Vitamin C, not just for it's skin brightening, pigmentation-erasing and line preventing properties but I've used them in the past and liked the results very much. I know that you have to use protection when using Vitamin C products, or avoid sun exposure as the concentration of products can be photosensitive, that's why I thought they would be perfect to use in the winter time, when the sun isn't as strong and when we most need a "lift" for dull winter skin! Cool

Summertimegirl
Mabsy

Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hey Summertimegirl,

I find that my skincare always gets adjusted from one season to another. I tend to need heavier creams in winter due to using heaters at home and lighter stuff in summer on account of the heat and humidity (at least in Queensland anyway). I've also just started using an Evian spray thingy for my skin during the day because the air-con at work is going nuts! I actually have a blanket at work while outside today was about 35 degrees. I need to call comeone in to fix it.... Sad

As you know I try different things so I don't really have a routine of products that I switch to but the above "thick for winter and light for summer" (much like clothes Smile) is the general rule that seems to keep my skin happy.

About the vitamin C products, while what you wrote makes a lot of sense there is also the other side to it. Vitamin C is supposed to neutralise some of the bad effects of the sun. That is why they tell you to use it in the morning (well, I've read conflicting things about that... but anyway). So it would also make sense to use it when the sun is harsh so you can minimize the bad effects of it. Well, just a thought Smile

I'm currently using the Vivier 20% vit C serum under some MD Formulations hydrating gel followed by SPF30.

Mabsy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

I definitely need a richer cream in winter, so I go by your "thick for winter and light for summer" rule as well when it comes to moisturisers. It can get very hot and dry in Sydney-- up to 40 degrees sometimes, and we don't seem to have as much of a humidity problem as Brisbane in the summers. I would prefer humidity as it keeps my skin nice, as much as uncomfortable as it can get sometimes (hope your aircon gets fixed soon!) Sydney winters can be very drying for the skin-- windy outside, heaters inside, and aircon at work Sad so you need a heavier cream to combat all that.

With the Vivier vit C serum, did you gradually work your way up on the concentration? You're right though, there is no harm in using vit C all year round as long as you moisturise and wear an SPF.

I know that you don't have a set routine of products but what's usually your winter regime? I tend to use masks more in the winter time, moisturising ones in particular, also the "Bank's Best Friend" emerges with more frequent visits to the salon.Very Happy

Summertimegirl
Mabsy

Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
With the vitamin C serum - I did use Skinceuticals Serum 10 a few months ago for a few weeks but I gave it to my mum because it was too watery for me plus my mum really wanted it Smile I also used a sample of Vivier 10% serum. I almost bought the 10% one, I was worried that the 20% might be too strong for me. But after some words of reassurance from Barbara I decided that 20% was the way to go and I'm happy that I made that decision (Thanks Babs!). It doesn't feel too strong for my skin, there is no stinging or tingling sensation at all.

I would love to try the Skinceuticals C+E serum though. I wonder if it is the same consistency as the C serum or if it's a bit more 'substantial'....

I think I use masks equally often both in summer and winter though I think you're right, I do tend to use moisturing ones more in winter and deep cleansing ones in summer (alternating with moisturising ones). Luckily for my credit card facials are not something that I really got into having done. I had a Clarins facial a few times and an odd salon facial here and there but it's not a regular occurence for me. I hear the Jurlique facials are lovely though and I'm really tempted to try one Smile

Mabsy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Mabsy,

Thanks for the info on the concentration of vit C serums. I've had glyco peels in the past so I don't think 20% will be too strong for me. My skin's "toughened up" over the years, the only battles it doesn't win are against the odd gi-normous zits!Sad
Casper's Mum has also just posted some info re Skinceuticals, Cellex C and their differences in the skincare forum that has shed some more light for me.... must say vit C is becoming more and more attractive for winter. (I'm still very happy with Phytomer at the moment for summer!) WinkVery Happy

What's the consistency of the Vivier vit C like? and are all serums of the same liquidy consistency? I prefer 'substantial' rather than runny. For example, if you've ever used the MD Formulations Facial Lotion, it's so runny and 'thin' that you have to be careful to put it in your palm and not your fingers that it'll just fall through!...are the serums a little thicker than that sort of fluidness?

Speaking of facials, I haven't been to have one yet this summer (I don't have them that frequently either, in winter maybe once every few months), but heading into the salon for a Brazilian soon so thought I might as well make it a worthwhile trip Wink.

Summertimegirl Very Happy
Mabsy

Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Summertime girl,

The difference in texture between the Vivier serum and the Skinceutical serum is kinda hard for me to describe. They are both liquid in consistency but the Skinceuticals one to me felt like putting water on your face while the Vivier one feels a bit moisturising; like you know that you've put it on your face. I guess the best way I can put it is that it feel a bit more 'oily' than 'watery' but not oily in a bad way. I think the best way to decide is to get a sample of Skinceuticals and one of Vivier and then compare. What I like better may not be what you prefer.

ps. You'll have to let me know the pain factor of the brazilian. I'm still too chicken to do it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Mabsy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy, you're always a great help. Smile I'd probably take it that the Skinceuticals vit C in 20% would be of the same consistency as the 10% as well, I know what you mean by more 'Oily' not in the oily sense but less fluid than 'watery'. I like feeling that I've put something on my face as well then something that feels like it has evaporated to nothing on application.Mad You sound like you're happy with the Vivier, I'll definitely ask to try both Skinceuticals and the Vivier serums.

ps. On the brazilian front, I'm chicken too! more self-consious than the pain part of it, but I guess we girls all have one of 'em! Very Happy It shouldn't take long I'd imagine so I'll be able to relax from the ordeal with the other spa treatments.Wink:P
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, another question for you :P, how long have you been using the vit C..? Is it your basic routine for all year long?

By 'adjusting' your skincare depending on season, I know I had to when I was using a glycolic system (Murad and MD Formulations) in the summer as I found it was too drying for my skin a few years ago. I find those are best used in the winter. I'm looking forward to giving the vit C a go this winter-- of course not looking forward to winter yet!!Very Happy:P

Summertimegirl
dagny
5% products discount

Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,
Thanks for the description of the consistency of the Vitamin C serum. I have tried Cellex C in the past, but the viscosity of the serum was too thick for me that it clogged my pores. I had tried their Hydra-B complex serum and found it was better because it was more watery.

Since then, I have been afraid to try other serums because of the clogging factor. It sounds like the Skinceuticals one is so thin that it probably won't cause a problem for me. Yippie! Smile

Dagny
Mabsy

Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Dagny,

Sounds like I should try the Cellex-C then Smile I've also been hesitant to try vitamin C serums for the opposite reason of you Smile I wouldn't have bought the Vivier serum if not for the fact that I happened to get a sample of it with an EDS order. I will ask for a sample of the Cellex-C next time I order something, hopefully Cellex-C does samples.

Mabsy.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |