Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: Jane Iredale - the handy Handi Brush
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I hate to scare you but I actually have quite a few products at home that are waiting to be reviewed. I have my mum to thank for the rather phenomenal selection of skin care products I got from her for Christmas (fueled by her overseas trip). I will give them some time though before they get the write-up Smile

A while ago I was trying to decide if I should add the JI Handi brush to my brush collection even though I'm not currently using any powder mineral base. Based on Alexis' recommendation I decided to give it a go.

This is a very nice high quality short-handle brush with a flat base of bristles. It's very dense (probably the most dense brush I've used/seen) but also very very soft. It picks up a lot of powder but, as Alexis said, it's easy to tap off the excess. I really like the short handle and I imagine that it's designed that way to make 'buffing' mineral foundations easier. This brush also comes in it's own little pouch which means that you can swirl some mineral powder (or normal) into it, put it in the pouch and keep it in your bag for a touch-up during the day. That's quite a.... um... handi... little bonus :P

In all honesty I still prefer my Bare Minerals powder brush when I'm using normal translucent face powder. I don't think that the density of the Handi brush is necessary when you're simply applying face powder in sweeping strokes. However when I get back into my powder mineral foundations I am absolutely sure that I will be using the Handi brush because the density and the flat base will make buffing minerals a breeze.

Mabsy Very Happy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy
I hate to scare you but I actually have quite a few products at home that are waiting to be reviewed. I have my mum to thank for the rather phenomenal selection of skin care products I got from her for Christmas (fueled by her overseas trip). I will give them some time though before they get the write-up Smile

Mabsy,
I can't wait for your reviews on all the GOOODIES your mum brought back for you from her travels!!!! Lucky girl Mabsy-- did you know I actually wanted to be an airline hostess at one stage? Just to be able to travel....*finger on chin and looking skywards in a daydream* Very Happy As it's your job to look prestine ALL THE TIME(those women look so beautiful even when they're travel-weary!!), you'd have access to all the best beauty products/ treatments in the world! CoolCool

I always wondered about this brush with its flat base, now I know what it's used for-- mineral foundations and powdered compact. Thanx! I really like short-handled brushes as well, since it makes application sooo much easier and are great for travelling, I was tempted to splurge on Bobbi Brown's collection of short-handled brushes but resisted as the Good Angel on my shoulder quietly and gently reminded me that I wasn't there to shop for myself. :P:P BTW, speaking of shopping, how did you go at the Sass & Bide/ One Teaspoon sale in last month??

Summertimegirl Very Happy
Mabsy

Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Summertimegirl Smile

I think most girls at some stage had a dream to become an airline hostess. Well I did anyway. Mainly because they got to travel so much. As I got older I figured out that working on long flights CANNOT be fun because just being on long flights as a passenger is a pain Smile

I'm actually about to expand my brush collection by buying a 9 piece A'Squirrel brush set. They're supposed to be of excellent quality. Can't wait to try them; not that I actually NEED any more brushes *blushes*

I didn't end up going to the Sass&Bide sale because someone said something about it being very limited. I went to a BrotherSista sale in Brissy though which was very VERY good Smile Still waiting for a PROPER sass&bide sale. Though really, what I was after was just a pair of jeans and I just got myself a pair of Utechs so I guess I don't need another pair....

Mabsy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Long flights kill me-- I can never sleep on planes, and it's funny when all the passengers look feral after a flight when the Hostesses look immaculately preened! Being an air hostess may look like a glamorous job but it isn't apparently Sad Someone told me that for every hour difference, you need a day to recover from jet-lag... I never thought I suffered jet-lagged until I went back to work 3 days after my trip to France, and phased out like a shrivelled zombie-- I needed at least 8 days off! Tell that to the boss! :P

Tell me more about the 9 piece A'Squirrel brush set.... what brushes are in it? and is it sold in Australia?

The same thing happened in Sydney with the 2nd Sass&Bide sale... it was a let down as well as over-priced for a 'sale' so I didn't miss out on anything either. What are Utechs Mabsy?? I've never heard of this brand-- I'm so behind with the fashion times when I'm working, hardly get to go retail trawling at all, although shopping online is quite enjoyable I must say!Very Happy I remember reading about Leila's boot-shopping expedition for a pair of knee-highs a while ago, wonder if Leila found her perfect pair!

Summertimegirl Very Happy
Mabsy

Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

I'm getting Brush Set #4 which includes 4 pure squirrel brushes. You can have a look here http://www.a-squirrel.com/pure-squirrel-brush-set-four.html. I don't think these are available in Australia but they ship worldwide for a US$10 flat fee. I've heard some fab reviews of them. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

Btw, Utech is just a company that makes really awesome jeans. Very nice and very comfortable. I know what you mean about keeping up with fashion while you're working hard. But over Christmas I decided that, with the skincare and make-up side taken care of, it was time to update my wardrobe. Expensive but fun Smile
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, sorry for the delayed reply but I'm still catching up on all the posts now that I've recovered from nightshift-- I was suppose to go out tonight with my b/f (we have an annual house party called Summer Explosion) but I wasn't up to it at all, so it looks like a cup of tea and a read up of all that's happening on the forum is on order for me tonight Wink

Thanx for the link of the A-Squirrel brushes ! All the sets look beautiful and of the highest quality so they look like a great investment.Wink:P ...squirrel brush lemming's head immerging hehe! Their reviews are excellent as well, I was surprised that it takes only 3 days to ship to Sydney! Wow! Can't wait for your review when your set arrives. I'm looking at getting the Set #4 or the 12-piece that contains the foundation brush, fan brush and concealer brush. I love it that they come complete with their make brush roll, I don't have one at the moment. If I end up getting it, my sister will inherit my small but lovingly-taken-care-of collection of brushes-- that's what's so good about having sisters or cousins who are girls! Very HappyWink You can always give away clothes and things that you have 'outgrown'.

I did a search on Utech jeans and none of the sites brought up anything that showed the actual jeans, so I'm wondering what they look like-- are they cut similar to Sass& Bide or Tsubis....? fitted? slouchy? I'm so curious about Utechs now.... my favourite jeans are the Seven brand which I get from the states as they are so ridiculously expensive here in Oz! (good thing there's ebay).

Hope you're doing well up there in Brissie. I heard you're getting heaps of rain-- hope that means we'll get some soon too, we really need some down here! Dry as!!

Summertimegirl Wink
Mabsy

Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Hey Summertimegirl,

I should be getting my A'Squirrel set tomorrow or the day after so I'll let you know Wink

Utech jeans are pretty much similar to Sass&Bide in that they are locally designed and manufactured in Sydney. There are only two little shops in Brisbane that stock them which is partly why I like them so much; reduces the chances of other people wearing the same stuff as you Smile Anyways, the pair that I have is a wide leg flare. They are also nicely cut so they don't 'swoosh' when you walk like so many wide flares do Smile I guess the cut is more similar to Tsubis than Sass&Bide. I haven't tried Seven jeans, but I'm onto the eBay jeans thing too Wink I get my Paper Denims on eBay at at least 50% cheaper than at General Pants here Surprised

You can have our rain and the yucky humidity that comes with it! Mad
Mabsy

Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I got the A'Squirrel set (poor bold squirrels...). They are fantastic brushes! Not suitable for mineral makeup (way too soft for that) but they are a dream with normal makeup. The powder brush is so soft it feels like a puff of air hitting your face. I kid you not! Great quality brushes!
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

Why do you say the brushes are too soft for mineral makeup?

I ask because I'm looking for a super-soft brush for applying Jane Iredale's loose MMU. I've tried applying it with a soft sable brush, but all that brushing is abrading my sensitive skin. (Remember, I'm the no-cotton-balls and gotta-have-satin-sheets girl.)

Your "puff of air" description sounds heavenly, but why won't it work for mineral makeup?

--Alohagirl:P
Mabsy

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Alohagirl,

Sorry, I should have clarified. The reason I think that is because I was taught to buff the minerals onto my skin, which requires a dense brush that, in my opinion, can't be too soft or you would not be able to buff the minerals onto your skin properly.

The JI Handi Brush is super-dense while being soft (but not as soft as A'Squirrel) which makes it great at buffing minerals in. But the A'Squirrel powder brush is nowhere near as dense. It is also incredibly soft which in my opinion makes it great for sweeping powder on but not necessarily for buffing (well not for me anyway).

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that it wouldn't work with mineral powders; I don't have sensitive skin so when I apply mineral makeup I'd rather have a denser brush so I don't have to spend forever buffing. In other words, I wouldn't consider the A'Squirrel brush ideal for mineral makeup, that's JI Handi's job Smile
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Mabsy. And no need to apologize for lack of clarification. Your reviews are always great--and very informative. It's just that with my bizarre skin sensitivity, I need to analyze everything in greater detail than most other people do.Sad

--Alohgirl:P
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, are you familiar with the urban decay brushes? You can see them onwww.urbandecay.com
I just got some, they are synthetic and extremely soft. Do you know if the urban decay powder brush is dense enough for applying loose minerals? thanks
Mabsy

Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:26 am      Reply with quote
I spent a bit of time on the A'Squirrel website today and I saw that they actually sell their own mineral makeup and they state that the brushes are great with it. So, please don't take my word for it when I say that they wouldn't be good with mineral makeup. It could be that I just have a preference to buffing with denser brushes (it's just much easier). In fact, this weekend I shall put the A'Squirrel brush to the test with some loose mineral foundation. I'll let you know what I think Smile

Thoughtcrime - sorry I have not tried the Urban Decay brushes. On a completely unrelated note though, I saw today (on another forum) a post that listed cosmetic companies that were safe for vegans. Let me know if you're interested in the list and I'll send you the link.

Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, would love the vegan link, thanx!! Also, I can't remember if I asked you, but is your preference liquid minerals or loose minerals? And what are your favorite brands? Still JI and Gominerals? I've been experimenting with different brands, and still haven't found the perfect one yet. Tomorrow I'll try Geografx.
Mabsy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Ok, I just did a A'Squirrel vs. JI Handi "brush off" with the Bare Minerals loose foundation. I used the Handi on the left side of my face and the A'Squirrel on the right. Looking into the mirror I think that both sides of my face turned out the same really. But I found the application with the Handi brush easier because:

(a) it has a short handle so it's easier to buff
(b) I 'felt' what I was doing.

By (b) I mean that I could actually feel the brush buffing on my face so I had a better feel for the application I was getting (the even-ness of application I guess).

So I prefer the Handi, but it's probably down to personal preference. I'm still very surprised by the softness of the A'Squirrel brushes. I've never had brushes that were this soft before Very Happy I actually read yesterday that squirrel hair brushes are the softest brushes around. Not sure if that's true but it sure feels like it Smile

Mabsy.

ps. Thoughtcrime - I sent you the link but I also just realised that it may list juft companies available in Australia. I'm not too sure....
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch Mabsy. Did you send the link as a U2U? because for some reason I can't check those. I'll have to contact shipping dpt.
thanks!
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

One more question: You say that with the Handi brush, you can "feel" the brush buffing, so would you consider it too abrasive for sensitive skin?

Okay I lied, I have another question: Do squirrel brushes really come from squirrels? I've never petted one, but they don't look very soft, especially the tails.Surprised

Mabsy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
Thanks a bunch Mabsy. Did you send the link as a U2U? because for some reason I can't check those. I'll have to contact shipping dpt.
thanks!

Yep, sent it via U2U. But here's the link anyways: http://www.aahr.asn.au/cruelty-free/
Mabsy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by alohagirl
Mabsy,

One more question: You say that with the Handi brush, you can "feel" the brush buffing, so would you consider it too abrasive for sensitive skin?

Okay I lied, I have another question: Do squirrel brushes really come from squirrels? I've never petted one, but they don't look very soft, especially the tails.Surprised

Alohagirl,

Well I don't see how the Handi brush could be too abrasive but then again I don't have sensitive skin. I do realise that there are people out there with super sensitive skin that can be irritated by brushes so please don't take my word for it. The Handi brush is soft but dense (therefore it feels more firm) whereas the A'Squirrel brush is softer and very flexible.

About squirrels... Yes, these are actually made from 'cosmetic grade' long hair squirrels LOL I hope they shave them in summer... Poor little things. Here's a link to a page that explains all the different types of bristles that brushes can be made from: http://www.a-squirrel.com/makeup-sable-goat-hair.html#NATURAL-HAIR
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Mabsy Wink
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy
....I haven't tried Seven jeans, but I'm onto the eBay jeans thing too Wink I get my Paper Denims on eBay at at least 50% cheaper than at General Pants here Surprised

You can have our rain and the yucky humidity that comes with it! Mad

Hey Mabsy,

I've been so busy with work, it feels like I've taken a mini holiday from the forum, just catching up on all the posts now hee hee!

I think I'm in love with the A' Squirrel brushes by your description, 'light as air and super-soft' these brushes must feel gorgeous to the touch. I'm going to make an order soon for a set when I am next off and can spend some time on my second 'career' like Leila, shopping on-line! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

You also gave out a great tip with mineral application in using the Handi brush as it's firmer, and as the handle is shorter the application would be better-- unlike powder or blush which only need light brush strokes I now understand why a good firm and 'flat' faced brush is needed for the buffing on of mineral foundation Wink

...and just off-topic, I'm glad I'm not the only ebayer here :P somehow I don't feel as guilty! I am obsessed with 7's Mabys-- for the sheer cut of these jeans, can't believe they sell for $AU385 in General Pants, on ebay I can get them for less then half of that (Our Oz dollar is going strong at the moment so that helps! 77 cents US last I checked!!). I also got a pair of Papers off ebay too-- yet to be hemmed, but I got my hands on a lovely pair of the 1-year jeans. They're a dark denim with a nice 'sheen' to it. Out of all the jeans I've tried though, 7's seem to be the only cut that suits my body.

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
Mabsy

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
Did you send the link as a U2U? because for some reason I can't check those.

LOL I just remembered that I sent you a u2u a while back and wondered if you ever got it. Now I know! I'm pretty sure it was about Jurlique... nothing important.

Mabsy.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |