Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Castor oil and Hair Growth
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
I read some articles about using castor oil for hair growth. Many of us using the OCM method. I just saw on one of the post that this person's hair on the upper lip appears thicker. I think that person is using the OCM (I tried to find the post, but couldn't Sad ). I started to use OCM, but now I'm not sure... Will it result in facial hair growth? I'm very concerned about that, because I like this method, and I don't see the substitution to OCM Confused I even asked my doctor about this, and she said that there is the possibility of hair growth if you use the castor oil...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if castor oil causes hair growth but I have heard the same thing. Isn't it a key ingredient in lash growth serums?
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
I don't know if castor oil causes hair growth but I have heard the same thing. Isn't it a key ingredient in lash growth serums?

I just checked the Ardell, it says "castor seed oil". I have some Lucia, but can't read Japanese.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, many products for lashes have as a main component castor oil. Some people put castor oil directly onto lashes to make them grow.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
No kidding! Carekate says that her lash serum worked wonders for her. I wonder if she uses this as an ingredient...
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I did a google search and found the following:

The Egyptians also used Castor Oil to encourage hair growth. They mixed it with Sweet Almond Oil to improve the aroma and make the oil smoother and easier to spread.

OMG! Now I'm scared to use castor oil on my face! Embarassed I have been noticing more hair around my upper lip and wonder if this may be the cause. However, it sounds like my OCM mixture is going to be great for my hair.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
jadette wrote:
I did a google search and found the following:

The Egyptians also used Castor Oil to encourage hair growth. They mixed it with Sweet Almond Oil to improve the aroma and make the oil smoother and easier to spread.

OMG! Now I'm scared to use castor oil on my face! Embarassed I have been noticing more hair around my upper lip and wonder if this may be the cause. However, it sounds like my OCM mixture is going to be great for my hair.

I've actually been using it as a warm oil treatment on my hair for a couple of months. I do it on the weekends. Can't say that its any longer, but it appears less dried out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Now ladies ... let's not get excited here. Rolling Eyes

I've been using OCM since late August ... and I'm of the age where upper lip hair growth is a real possibility, having gone through menopause. Confused

I can report that NO INCREASE in hair growth on my upper lip as a result of OCM. Very Happy

If simply applying castor oil did, indeed "grow hair" don't you think there would be a lot of guys having a problem with baldness would be using it by the gallon? Surprised

The only way you can actually encourage thicker hair is by applying something that soaks down to the roots of the hairs ... because that's where anything "live" happens ... hair being nothing more than dead skin cells.

I suspect that the reason eyelash serums work is because they soak down to the root.

The castor oil in OCM doesn't soak down into the skin ... it cleanses the skin ... and is rinsed off within minutes of application.

It doesn't get the chance to stay on the skin and soak down to the root of any hairs. At least ... that's my theory. Smile

Certainly, I haven't had a problem with MORE hair above my lip ... and I figure a six month constant use of OCM is a good test. Very Happy

If any of the oils in OCM are soaking into the skin, it's the oils one mixes with the castor oil.

That said, applying castor oil onto one's eyelashes certainly makes them look more defined ... that's probably just the affect of oil on the hairs. Ideally, you should use castor oil like an eye-liner ... so that it soaks down through the skin to the lash root.

Hopefully that helps someone. I'm not expert ... but I also hate to see people panicking for no reason.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
No kidding! Carekate says that her lash serum worked wonders for her. I wonder if she uses this as an ingredient...
Yes, I do and yes, castor oil is known to stimulate lash growth.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate, thanks for your reply. I wouldn't know how to do this exactly, but maybe the way to get a clearer picture on the facial hair is a poll of some sort. There are alot of OCM users here. Idea
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
While castor oil is known for stimulating lash growth, I think it does this because it travels down the lash to the root. You cannot affect lashes that are outside the skin ... you can only affect those lashes that have not yet grown out.

When you use castor oil on your current lashes, and leave it on ... the oil gets to the root ... encouraging more lash growth. So ... bearing in mind that the turnover of lashes is fairly rapid, ... after a while, you notice more lash growth.

However, it still has to get to the root ... where the lashes grow from. You can make your current lashes look better ... but what you get is new growth from using the lash enhancement products.

I still don't think that using castor oil on your face is going to encourage growth of hair on your upper lip ... on your chin ... or your cheeks. I haven't even noticed my eyebrows growing in any faster after using OCM.

It's one thing to put a conditioner containing castor oil onto your eyelashes ... and it's another to use castor oil to clean your face and rinsing it off after a very few minutes.

For that matter, castor oil is also a reliable laxative as well ... but using it on my face hasn't caused those effects either.

And ... if it were true that castor oil alone would stimulate growing hair ... then lots of men would be using it to stimulate the hair folicles where they are bald.

A poll might give us an overview ... or it might just send panic to a whole lot of women who otherwise wouldn't even think of it.

There are all kinds of reasons why one gets an increase in hair growth on one's upper lip ... or on one's chin. It's far more likely to be hormonal frankly.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
If simply applying castor oil did, indeed "grow hair" don't you think there would be a lot of guys having a problem with baldness would be using it by the gallon? Surprised

Mary

There is different reason that guys go bold, their hormons don't work the way they suppose to...and castor oil will not help them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
[/b][/i]? Surprised

The castor oil in OCM doesn't soak down into the skin ... it cleanses the skin ... and is rinsed off within minutes of application.

It doesn't get the chance to stay on the skin and soak down to the root of any hairs. At least ... that's my theory. Smile

Mary

You have an interesting theory Laughing . I believe that if castor oil could saok down to the root of lashes and definitely can soak into your facial hair roots.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Some of what Mary is saying seems plausible to me. We need an expert. Smile
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Lara1 said:
I believe that if castor oil could saok down to the root of lashes and definitely can soak into your facial hair roots.

No Laurel, I don't think so. You leave the castor oil product ON your lashes ... you don't rinse it off.

Castor oil is very viscous ... and after you rinse your face after OCM, there isn't a trace of oil. I think it would take leaving the OCM mixture ON your face for it to make its way down a hair folicle on your face ...

Quote:
Laral also said:
There is different reason that guys go bold, their hormons don't work the way they suppose to...and castor oil will not help them.

That's my point! Hair on the face is more apt to be a result of hormonal activity than castor oil!

But pnw is right ... we need an expert. I'm just expressing my opinion based on my own version of common sense ... I'm not expert! Laughing Do we have an expert in the house?

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="hpjrt"]
Quote:

No Laurel, I don't think so. You leave the castor oil product ON your lashes ... you don't rinse it off.

Castor oil is very viscous ... and after you rinse your face after OCM, there isn't a trace of oil. I think it would take leaving the OCM mixture ON your face for it to make its way down a hair folicle on your face ...

Hair on the face is more apt to be a result of hormonal activity than castor oil!

Mary

Hi Mary,
before you rinse it off, you keep it on your face for at least 5 minutes, and that is enough for castor oil to sink into your skin and roots of your facial hair. It's just simple biology (I don't think the teacher was wrong Laughing ).
As for guys and boldness, the hormons affect ability of hair roots existence, so even if they try to use castor oil it will not have any effect. Your facial hair is different, because your face didn't go bold and all the roots are there...soaked in oil Laughing
Lara Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Mary,
Did you ever felt that even when you rinse OCM off (I usually use cleansing milk or baby soap Shock ) you still have oily residue on your face Confused ? Sometimes, I can see that in 10 minutes oil is coming out from the pores.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:23 am      Reply with quote
For what it’s worth, I agree with Mary, using castor oil as part of OCM is unlikely to stimulate hair growth on one’s face.

But I'm not an expert either, although sometimes a dose of common sense is all one needs.... Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
For what it’s worth, I agree with Mary, using castor oil as part of OCM is unlikely to stimulate hair growth on one’s face.

But I'm not an expert either, although sometimes a dose of common sense is all one needs.... Confused

Common sense? Common sense should be based on knowledge. I mentioned earlier that my doctor believe castor oil will most likely increase facial hair growth. My friend is from China, she asked her relatives about OCM they also suggested not to use OCM for the same reason that I had explain. I like this method, but my common sense tells me not to use it Laughing .
But if your "common sense" tells you that it is a good idea, please continue to use OCM.
Let us know how it is going.
Lara Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
carekate wrote:

Common sense? Common sense should be based on knowledge. I mentioned earlier that my doctor believe castor oil will most likely increase facial hair growth. My friend is from China, she asked her relatives about OCM they also suggested not to use OCM for the same reason that I had explain. I like this method, but my common sense tells me not to use it Laughing .
But if your "common sense" tells you that it is a good idea, please continue to use OCM.
Let us know how it is going.
Lara Smile
FYI - you can always leave castor oil out of your OCM and substitute it for another "cleansing" type oil.

For the record, I include a bit of castor oil in my aspirin mask variation ("DHSBSSFM" - see pg 13 of the DIY thread, although I tweak that basic recipe almost every time I make it looking for ways to improve it) and have been for months. I use my DHSBSSFM every morning and I personally haven't experienced any facial hair growth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
FYI - you can always leave castor oil out of your OCM and substitute it for another "cleansing" type oil.

I can't use aspirin mask,because I'm allergic to aspirin. You have mentioned other type of cleansing oil. What would that be?
Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
You have mentioned other type of cleansing oil. What would that be?
You can use any type of oil that you want for OCM -- even that Extra Virgin Olive Oil that you've probably already got in your kitchen cupboard right now! Or a mixture or blend of two or more oils, depending upon the needs of your skin. Some oils, like castor, are more "astrigent."

Here is a basic primer on the different types of oils that I have cut and pasted from the Personal Formulator's downloadable PDF catalog:

• Avocado oil - nourishes and restores dry, dehydrated skin. It is rich in It is rich in vitamin A, B1, B2, D, E and panothenic acid.

• Borage oil - It contains gamma linolenic acid, a fatty acid used in cosmetics as an emollient, antioxidant, and cell regulator. It is used to promote healthy skin growth and is an anti-inflammatory agent.

• Castor oil - it is an excellent emollient (leaves the skin soft & smooth), good hair conditioner (repairs & nourishes the hair, stimulates the scalp), moisturizer & lubricant (gives shine to lipsticks & lip balms). It can be added to formulas as is to the oil phase. Castor oil is used in creams, lotions, hair care products, bath oil, sun & baby care products, lip care products. It is extremely useful for brittle nails and dry chapped skin.

• Grapeseed oil - It is an emollient oil that also has good antioxidant properties.

• Jojoba oil - This oil is an excellent moisturizer; emollient (prevents transdermal water loss), anti-wrinkle agent (provides smoothness & softness), good lubricant (without oil film,
penetrates the skin), protects partly from UV radiation (SPF about 4). It penetrates skin rapidly and nourishes, softens and moisturizes.

• Kukui oil - It is high in essential fatty acids and is helpful for softening and restructuring skin. It
is an excellent choice for sensitive skin and skin that is mature, damages and wrinkled.

• Lanolin oil - This oil is used as an emollient, conditioner and moisturizer. It has limited water-in-oil emulsifier properties. The typical use is 2-10% in skin care applications such as creams and lotions.

• Macademia Nut oil - It is similar to the sebum produced by human skin. It is high in palmitoleic acid and an excellent for skin conditioning after exposure to the sun. Its absorption rate is high and blends well in emulsions.

• Safflower oil - It is used for its moisturizing properties and will not irritate skin or aggravate acne. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in lip balms.

• Sesame oil - This oil has aromatic, soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Sesame Oil
has sunscreening properties SPF 4 on its own. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in massage oils.

• Soy Bean oil - It has natural moisturizing factors and antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in massage oils. <Note: you've probably already got soy bean oil in your cupboard too -- have a look at the label on your bottle of Crisco vegetable oil!!>

• Sunflower oil - it contains vitamins A, C, D, E and is high in linoleic acid. This oil will not irritate skin or aggravate acne. It is used in skin care formulations such as creams and lotions and in massage oils.

• Sweet Almond oil - It is an excellent emollient (leaves the skin soft, smooth &amp; conditioned), good nourishing and revitalizing effect (penetrates well the skin), moisturizer; lubricant, heals injured and chapped skin. This oil is used in creams, lotions, protecting and healing creams, ointments, bath oils, makeup &amp; sun care products, personal &amp; baby care products.

• Wheat germ oil - It is a rich source of vitamin A, E, D and in protein. This oil has nourishing and antioxidant effects. It can be used in hair and skin care applications, particularly anti-wrinkle creams.

• Apricot Kernal oil - It is an excellent softener for the delicate skin around the eyes, mouth and neck.

The above list is not all-inclusive, there are many other oils out there, it is merely provided to give you an idea about all the different types of oils that can be used in OCM. Pick out 2-3 that suit your skin type and/or needs and begin experimenting. There's no law that says you absolutely must include castor oil in your OCM blend in order to use the oil cleansing method successfully.

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
this is an older thread, but from what i understand, it doesn't take very long for a lot of substances to absorb into the skin. so, if hair growth on the face is a worry, then like carekate says, use another type of oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Castor oil has been used for centuries in the Middle East to stimulate hair growth. But when you use it for hair growth it must be used daily and it must be left on the hair. In the OCM recipe you mix it with olive oil and then wipe it off with a wet cloth and if I'm correct you can splash your face with cold water after that.

The OCM recipe is very smart because it includes olive oil which is also used in many countries in the Middle East to inhibit hair growth (The Olive tree is considered as a holy tree with many benefits). They usually apply it on the waxed or sugared area without washing it and then they leave it for at least a couple of hours. After that they used it at least once daily on the area as a lotion.

So my conclusion is that you will not get more hair because the oil is not left on the skin and it's not used daily + olive oil inhibits hair growth.

@--I-- Smile
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Not been using the OCM recipe (didnt know it existed till just now)
but i was talking to my excellent facialist yesterday.
i said i was changing frome eve lom cleanser as i didnt like the petrochemicals in it. she said it didnt really matter as much as i thought as it got rinsed off so well.
(note I was having a PTR facial so not talking to someone who had a vested interest in me using Eve Lom)
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |