Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Gotta See It!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't any concrete plans for this weekend, though I must see the new Disney movie, Eight-Below! It opened in North America today, but though I was tempted to go, I reckon that I can wait for a matinee tomorrow or Sunday afternoon.

Number one: most of the movie was filmed in my hometown of Smithers, British Columbia last winter. Smithers is 14 hours north of Vancouver, and has a population of about 6,000. I lived there for 15 years (81-96).

The production used the base of Hudson Bay Mountain/Ski Smithers as a set for the "base" of the movie's story. It is supposed to be Antartica, but the prairie area of Hudson Bay Mtn. offered "arctic" scenes, with no trees in the background, while providing the crew with a great town below the mountain, and an easy, 30 , minute drive UP the mountain for shooting. The glacial scenes were shot near Stewart, BC/Hyder, Alaska, and the a lot of the indoor scenes were shot on sets, here in Vancouver.

2. It looks like an awesome movie! I love a good story, and this is based-upon a true story. (the true story is was not as heart-warming or nice as Disney will portray it.) However, I love a good story which involves the relations between humans & animals, courage, and love.

Guaranteed: I will cry, and I also know I will LOVE this movie! Here's a link to the preview, for those of whom haven't seen it, or who live overseas. http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/8below/

3. It has had GREAT reviews from most critics! Very Happy
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:47 am      Reply with quote
Please post your review! I've been dying to see this movie, but before we go with my boyfriend's children, I want to make sure it will keep their interest (ages 8 and 11). (I'll go alone, of course, as I'm not too proud to see a Disney tear-jerker all by myself. Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I definitely want to take my 4 year old to see it (any excuse to eat a bag of buttered popcorn is okay with me!!). We saw the previews last week when we went to see Curious George and it looked wonderful. Thanks for the background on the movie, it makes it more interesting!!! Chrissie

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Guaranteed: I will cry, and I also know I will LOVE this movie!

I saw the preview at the movies and teared up Crying or Very sad I have such a soft spot for animals...I practically tear up just walking by the pet store and seeing all those puppies in cages. I already have 2 shelter dogs and one from a neighbor and if I had more room and money, I'd have lots more!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Saw it. I work in the business and it opened this last weekend. I brought a 6, 9 and 11 year old to see it. Yes a tear jerker at times with the animals. But it all ends well. Great family film for all ages.
Caspers Mum

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
An excellent movie, but I advise that if you have young or very sensitive children, that you either see it before they do (gauging it's appropriateness) or wait until it's on DVD.

I say this, because there are a couple of very sad scenes, as well as one (involving the dogs, a vicious leopard seal, and a whale) that could prove to be very frightening. In fact, the entire audience jumped during that scene! You have been warned.

All-in-all, I LOVED the movie! Funny: having grown-up in Smithers, I couldn't help but notice some continuity flaws in the film. Watch for Paul Walker's character to be driving his beat-up, old Jeep, along a country road in Oregon. He is on his way to visit the dog trainer. Know that this was likely along the Telkwa High Road or in the Driftwood area of Smithers ... because from the camera angle, one can clearly see the ski runs of Hudson Bay Mountain in the background Wink

Also, some Vancouver scenes: the Vancouver Art Gallery (in NYC?!), a home in Pt. Grey featured as Bruce Greenwood's home in Pasedena, CA. The taps on the beer steins, in a Christchurch, NZ pub ... the taps are from B.C.'s own Granville Island and Okanagan Springs Breweries Smile They take off in a helicopter, apparently in NZ, but Vancouver International Airport is prominently in the background.
Kiwigirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
oo, did someone say new zealand? we have so many films shot here it's ridiculous. did you know that tom cruise's 'the last samurai' was entirely shot in new zealand rather than japan? apparently mount taranaki (one of our mountains) looks a lot like mount fuji... so it wouldn't surprise me if they use vancouver instead of christchurch!!!

Kiwigirl.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |