Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oral Contraceptives and Acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Is anyone here on them specifically for acne?

Did anyone notice a change for the better or worse when going off them?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
During my teens I was put onto the contraceptive pill to treat acne, whilst it cleared my back, I can't really say it did anything for the acne on my face.
I did find other more efffective treatments that cleared the acne and changed to another pill, I am still on the pill now so I can't really comment on coming off the pill.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
sorry..i haven't come off it so I can't comment.

What I can say is that the ortho tricyclen one that is supposed to be good for acne made a mess of my face!!

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud and Lianne,

Which BCP are you using now that helps with the acne? I've heard that Yasmin was pretty good for that purpose, but never tried it. I tried ortho tri in the past and did see some improvements, but it made me gain quite a lot of weight Confused
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I was on Dianette during my teens for the acne but am now on Cillest.
I would say that diet and the Vitamins (Zinc, B Complex, Viatmin C & A) help more to keep my skin clear.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Yasmin is supposed to help with acne, I've noticed a small improvement - nothing huge. Another thing with Yasmin is that it's - oh I don't know what it's called in english... hmm they're supposed to help decrease water retention...and that is what some other pills don't do, actually cause water retention. The first month I was on these I drank a bit more than usual and peed loads more than usual... Hope you can make out my mumble jumble

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I was on orthocept for years and never had any skin issues. Then I went on Orthotrycyclin low and had great skin....I went off about a year ago and my skin went crazy! I'm not sure if it is adult acne or the hormonal effects from my body getting used to being of the pill but my skin has gotten very bad.

I thinkorthotrycyclin is the one for skin...that is what they advertise anyway...I always had good skin on the pill.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
i was on Yasmin 2 years ago and it helped tremendously with my acne ... i got off it after a year cuz i was afraid it would mess up my hormone system long term, my skin looked horrible after that. Luckily i have found some other products that put my skin back to normal and look better than ever before.
jamie630
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
hendricks, what are these products that you found to make your skin better than before? Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah...I'm dying to know what those products are...I went to proactive.
jazzybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Orthotricyclen helped give me clearer skin, but when I went off of it, my skin turned into an awful zitty mess! I recently went back on it, but the doc said it would take about 4-5 months after starting again for my skin to go back to being nice and clear again! Sad
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I was initially put on Ortho-tricyclen in high school to help my acne and help with my extra painful periods. For my skin it did help somewhat. I think if I hadn't been on it my skin would have been much worse. I tried going off of it a few years ago to see what would happen. Not only were my periods worse but my skin freaked out. So I went back on it and things are better now.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
bi1002

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Ortho tri before but it made me gain so much weight! I think it's just water weight and you lose it after a while, but I was so devastated that I went off of it. My skin definitely was not as clear as it used to be. My derm told me that although Ortho Tri is supposedly marketed for acne, it doesn't do the job as well for some people and a monophasic pill works better for hormonal breakout from her clinical experience. I think everyone is different though.

From what I know, Yasmin is monophasic and the only one that has the progestin drospirinone, which function similarly to a drug that is prescribed for high BP and hirsutism, and it blocks your body from retaining salt/water so you don't gain the water weight. With that said, I'm not sure how healthy it is and how well it is tolerated.

Anybody here has used a bcp that has not made them gain wt and helps with acne?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
All I can say is that going off the pill really messes up your body. My periods are not regular (and more painful) and my skin is such a disaster. My old skin care line that got my skin under control before going on the pill no longer works for me. Sad
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
i'm also looking into taking contraceptives for acne...because i think mine is due to hormonal imbalance...

there are so many brands out there i don't know which to take...

i heard yasmin and diane 35 helps...

anyone here used diane 35?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:04 am      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
i'm also looking into taking contraceptives for acne...because i think mine is due to hormonal imbalance...

there are so many brands out there i don't know which to take...

i heard yasmin and diane 35 helps...

anyone here used diane 35?

have you had your doctor check your hormone levels? If not, it's just a simple blood test...and I'd definitley have one done if your thinking of contraceptives mainly for acne...no point in hormone treatment if your hormones are fine...

Good luck!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:06 am      Reply with quote
thanx for the advice!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I've been on Diane 35 for about 10 years now and am in my 40's. I worry some about being on the pill at my age but am too afraid of the repercussions to my face if I go off it. I can't say that it has been a great help as far as the acne goes but it has stopped my hairline from thinning so quickly. I can wear makeup to cover my blemishes (although I wish I didn't have to) but how do you cover a balding head when you're female? The lesser of two evils I guess. Confused
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on Ortho Tricyclen and it's helped out my skin a lot. I used to have moderate acne constantly, not only on my face but also my chest and my back. The pill cleared up my back and chest within a month and my face caught on soon after. I've been on it for 3 years and as it stands I only break out when I'm PMSing, and even then it's only one or two pimples. Personally, I didn't gain any noticable weight on Ortho Tricyclen.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
My 19 year daughter has been taking the BCP Diane 35 for about one month. This pill is specifically prescribed for women with body acne and hormonal imbalance. It is the only BCP that blocks the effects of the male hormone androgen which cause your body to excreet oils. Apparently my daughter is overly sebaceous(too much oil). Her Dr feels it is the perfect answer for her because she also has heavy periods as well as moderate acne. The Dr feels 3-6 months should level out her hormones and get things under control and does not recommend this BCP as a long term solution for her.
Her last period was much better and there has been no major weight gain. Her skin still is the same but we were told up to 3 months before we would see any changes.
BCP has had some bad press in Canada as it has been blamed for severe blood clotting in some women. This is however a risk in all BCP.
It was a hard decision and I would rather treat this naturally but we have tried many things and are willing to try anything else anyone can advise.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
i've read different things about contraceptives...
some says it helps with hair growth and some says it causes hair loss... so confused... hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I never suffered much from acne, but I did just get off the pill and noticed I have been getting some tiny bumps (acne)..I got off the pill because I didn't feel right on it. I originally was on the patch, but read horrible articles about the incredibly high amounts of estrogen in it...plus its transferred right through the skin. I then tried the generic brand of tricylin low which is tri-nessa...my sex drive went down the drain and I gained weight. so now im off it and feel much healthier...periods arent bothering me...its up to you what you want to do..but it doesnt hurt to give things a try.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
When I went off BCP's in my late 20's/early 30's, I had a TERRIBLE time with acne. Especially cystic acne. But they made me feel depressed so I just had to stop taking them. I discovered that Retin-A, amoxycyllin, zinc, C, B6, Omega-3, MSM, magnesium, potassium supplement combo did wonders to help clear the cysts up.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
When i was a teen the dermatologist put me on Diane 35 which is supposed to be a birth control that treats acne. In fact, it made my acne worsen!! Every woman is different, while one birth control pill may work good for one person, for another person it will be completely different. Birth control pills is pretty much hit or miss. I had to try out 3 different kinds before i found the birth control that works for me. I am currently on Yasmine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
I was on diane for a while and it did help with acne, but it made me feel so bloated. I'm on Yasmin now, which is kind of helping with acne but not as much as diane.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |