Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with acne =(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jay2022

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I have had acne for about 6 years now. It wasn’t so bad in high school, as I would only have a breakout once in awhile on my nose area. It got worst in my freshmen year of college, having major breakouts on my cheek area with white heads and pimples everywhere. I thought that my acne would heal in time. I’m now 23 of age and still with acne. My confidence is at an all time low.
A year ago I did try Proactive. It seemed to work for a while, but then the product made my skin really dry. My skin was dry, flaky, and peeling. The toner irritated my face every time I put it on. I discontinued the use of the product.
My daily day/night routine now is just Aveeno skin brightening cleanser, Neutrogena acne spot treatment, and Neutrogena sun block spf45. With this routine my skin feels stiff. It seems that once I think one pimple is going away, another pops up =/. What am I doing wrong here?

Any products or skin care routines you guys can suggest me? I appreciate it. I’m desperate for any help or direction. I did see Murad acne complex commercial on TV, but should I go back to another infomercial product? Also, should I go pick up a moisturizer(what kind) or do you think sun block is good enough?

Thanks
Jay
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:01 am      Reply with quote
I´m not familiar with the sunblock, but is it moisturizing at all? To me, it sounds like you should use a moisturizer. Many ladies here have had success with the Oil Cleanicing Method (OCM), DIY receipes (check out the sticky thread) such as homemade Dr Hauschka Cleancing Cream and ACV toner plus aspirin mask. Personally, I´ve had great success with MD Formulations line, it having cleared my blemished skin completely in a few months.

Good luck on your search, you should find many great tips here.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jay...sorry to hear about your troubles.

It is very possible that you are still haveing problems with acne because your skin in dehydrated...that will make your skin overproduce sebum which will pop up on your skin as spots.

I would suggest you go and have a facial and get them to analyze your skin, listen to what they say and what they recomend you use/do - and then come back here for help on choosing products. EDS carry great products and a lot of them are very well priced compared to spas and salons.

If you don't want to go have your skin checked first I'm with Sharkbait, MD Formulations has done absolute wonders with my skin. They have a Facial Cleanser with 12 % glycolic compound - I don't want to live without this stuff.

For a simple rutine to start you off on the road to better skin...
-wash face with MDF cleanser
-make up a batch of ACV toner or just use ACV straight on your spots (see the DIY thread, first or second page)
-3 drops of an organic cold pressed oil (olive, apricot, almond - any will do essentially). Rub between fingertips to heat up and sort of lightly sweep fingers over face.
-a light moisturizing cream/emulsion

I'm assuming you're a guy?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/md-formulations-mens-delu-p_3222.htm

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/anthony-logistics-oil-fre-p_148.htm

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Jay
Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I know when my skin is not clear I want to hide under the covers in my bed. I do believe your skin is to dry. You know if your skin does not have the proper moisture, it can make you breakout. The dry skin, will clog the pores. I know I use to believe if my skin was stripped and dry I would not break out. NOT TRUE. I am a firm believer in both the MD Formulations (I moved to the 20%) and Asprin Mask. Remember to not over do it with your skin. If you are always washing it, scrubing it...that is not good. Try a gentle method of washing your skin (including pat drying your skin). Maybe the products you are using are not "right" for your skin. The sunblock you are using, could be causing clogged pores. I am sure you can search other postings for some recomendations on a good sunblock that will not clog your pores. What about an organic sunblock?
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
One thing about the Murad Acne Complex is that it works for people with oily acne prone non sensitive skin.. If your skin is the opposite of these then i would watch out.. It will make you purge.. I tried it and thats what happened to me.. I had better sucess with the Moisture Rich Cleanser and clarifying toner by Murad..

Im having the same problem but now im using the Dr. Hauschka cleansing cream, toner, and moisturizer.. So far its ok because im in a somewhat minor/mid purge. ITs only been 2 days but i heard great things about this product so i bought samples..

Try taking vitamins internal cleansing..

One thing i notice thats good for skin is try eating rasberries, cranberries, blueberries at least everyday.. You will feel refreshed inside plus its antioxident. Great way to get the toxins out.. I buy the ones thats already washed and picked thats served in a plastic bowl at Publix here in FLorida

good luck

5% products discount

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
If proactiv works for a while, why don't you keep using it?

Most of those products will make your skin dry, so after using that, you have to use another moisturizer!

My brother uses nature cure and that helps him a lot.

I know this is off-topic somewhat, but many girls and some guys are using birth control pills to regualate acne. Since most acne is harmonal, some pills helps regulate it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Well Jay, I can tell you without a doubt what will work for acne. You need to use a gentle cleanser, a thin layer of BHA (beta hydroxy acid gel) in the right formulation and PH level to work, in order to OPEN up your pores and a blemish fighting solution over that. Some very good systems to use is Paula's Choice at cosmeticscop or Serious Skin Care sold at HSN. There is another product - Carley's Clear and Smooth cleanser which is benzoyl peroxide based at no-acne.com
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:34 am      Reply with quote
As the other members have already covered skincare I just wanted to pick up on the vitamin suggestions.

Zinc is fantastic for acne
I cannot sing it's praises enough, Zinc has worked wonders for my skin, post acne scars, hair nails.....
I would suggest a doseage of at least 50mg - 100mg a day
also fish Oils, particularly Viatmin A are excellent for clearing acne.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
^^^ do you know if 150mcg of Iodine is just right, too much, or below? I heard too much Iodine is bad for acne and it can make it worse..

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I really do not know, have you tried doing a search on google?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Try MSM supplement also, it is sulfur that taken internally improves the health of your skin. Some have sworn by it clearing their acne. Drink 3 liters of water a day. You may be allergic to benzoyl peroxide which is the active product used in proactive. Salicylic acid is much gentler (to me Smile ) and is supposed to be good for all skin types- even sensitive.

Don't give up, I also did not have acne until I hit 21! What a shock! Choosing a product that is soothing to your skin and that works at cleaning out the pores and killing bacteria is best. Sometimes when we OVERTREAT acne, it can get inflammed, cause more acne and super dry skin on top.
Cleanse with something with salicylic acid, tone with apple cider vinegar toner- you can make it, and moisturize with a penetrating, soothing oil like jojoba that will not further clog pores. Then add some other things. This is a cheap way to start Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Jay,

Yes, I totally agree with the other ladies here that your skin is dehydrated and you are in desperate need of a moisturizer! The problem is finding one that won't make you breakout more(a problem of mine). Perhaps you can try this routine:

1)Wash with a gentle gel cleanser(Aveda Purifying Gel Cleanser is nice, Clarin's Gel Cleanser for oily skin, Mario Badescu Botanical gel Cleanser--they will give you free samples if you fill out the questionare) or try using an Oil cleansing method as someone else suggested--Safflower Oil(with linoleic acid not oleic acid, i believe is the right one--can anyone confirm this here?). Another great cleanser is Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil with Awapuhi Cleanser from Trader Joe's

2) Tone with Apple Cider Vider. I suggest using it undiluted or you can make a mixture using distilled water, ACV, and a couple drops of green tea or Tea Tree Oil(may be overkill if you are using the tea Tree oil cleanser)

3) spot treat with Benzoyl Peroxide product(Persagel is good, but i like Dermalogica Skin Clearing Booster)

4) Moisturize with Jojoba Oil or Safflower Oil(just put a couple drops in your hands, rub together and then pat onto your skin).

I hope this helps some--good luck to you.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |