Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Relaxation Technique
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I have many things that stressed me out, for example, exams ( they seems to never end Laughing ), bad and cold weather, my work...
I usually try to relax and go to the Gym, that was the best solution was for me in the past. Lately, I just can't sleep. I think about all my problems, my exams... For two weeks I slept about 2-3 hours per night. I need usually at least 9 hours of sleep to feel good. I don't want to take any sleep medications that doctors LOVE to prescribe. I try Valerian Root extract, but my heart was racing too fast after I took it.
I'm also allergic to many plant, so I can't use most of the natural recepies Sad ...
How do you deal with stress? What is your experience?
Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Breathing excerise and also meditation can definately help you to deal with stress. Yoga is also a good way to release tension.

I personally would go straight to two glasses of wine to relief stress Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried Melatonin? There are a bunch of different versions of it, so I don't really have one to recommend, but I've used it and found it helpful for sleep.

Kava Kava tea might also help w/ the stress, and my chiropractor gave me a Chinese medicine blend called Stress Ease that I think was useful.

There are also flower essences. Right off hand I'd say Rescue Remedy, but I'm sure there are others that would be helpful.

Most of these suggestions aren't going to be a quick or immediate fix, but I've found they help me generally.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:52 am      Reply with quote
I lock people up...great stress reliever! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Candy - I hope that's your job and not a hobby! LOL
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:56 am      Reply with quote
OK, here are some of the things I try - I have the same situation as you.

- do not go near the Internet or email or work documents for ONE HOUR before bed (starts to shut your mind down.

- turn off all bright lighting (like fluro) 2 hours before bedtime.

- never read or watch TV in bed. sit in a chair with soft (but decent)lighting and read for a while till you feel sleepy.

- try sitting in a chair listening to very soothing classical music for 20min before bed to wind down (keep the lighting low..oh, and shot of whisky wont go astray Wink )

- never sleep on the couch. if you feel yourself getting sleepy, jump into bed.

- always be 100% ready for bed well before bedtime (that way if you get drowsy, you just have to sleepwalk to the bedroom and jump under the covers)

- pure lavender oil rubbed on the wrists, between the breasts and behind the ears does wonders.

- try sleepign with an eye mask or ear plugs if there are light/noise disturbances. try a soothing sound (or soothing violin) to go to sleep by..

- a hot lavender bath about 45min before bed relaxes you too. DONT exfoliate (just stimulates you) Follow this with a warm milk or chammomile tea.

- a gentle back rub afte the tub can also do the trick.

- evening primrose oil can help with sleep patterns but use with great caution - it can do very nasty things to your cycle in terms of pain and heavy bleeding. A small dose in the evening the week before your period will be more than enough.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Great advice!

In addition to the Lavender, someone once posted about making a mixture of Lavender and either Geranium or Marjoram I think (I bought a bunch of oils at that time, and can't remember which was for what).

You mix the oils in a little carrier oil and then massage to the top of your head. I'll try to find the original post and edit this later, or maybe whomever recommended it will post in this thread too.

Bath and Body Works makes an aromatherapy line that includes a Lavender-Vanilla pillow spray that my roommate swears by. It does smell lovely.

Best of luck!
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
Candy - I hope that's your job and not a hobby! LOL

Best part about it - it's Both!! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Candy:

Now I know Why I got pulled over once for no reason!!! LOL!! What's the age limit to be a policeman?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Locking myself in the bedroom....away from the kids. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lori

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I also have trouble sleeping. I've found that aromatherapy really helps. I have lavender oil and a lavender/rosemary "calming" cream. I also have a pillow stuffed with lavender that I augment with the oil. It does help.

I think that Rosebud knows a lot about aromatherapy maybe she can suggest something.
Scottish Suze

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I too suffer a lot from this. The cause is usually that my brain just won't switch off!! It drives me mad. Everything just goes around and around in my mind. I have found that reading a good "chic lit book" helps and if that doesn't work try watching QVC that usually sends me to sleep!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga.

Short of that, these things always work for me:

1. Treat yourself to a massage. If money is an issue, deprive yourself of something else that week. Seriously.

2. Long, hot showers before bed. So long your skin starts to pucker. So hot it almost hurts. Do alot of things while in the shower .... exfoliate, shave, shampoo, deep condition .... You'll be absolutely exhausted after and drop like a log into bed.

3. Sleeping with the TV on barely audible and a station that is only mildly interesting but never annoying. The white noise turns my brain off as I moderately struggle to hear the program.

4. Finally, Decleor's Aromessence Ylang Ylang Night Balm. I only use it periodically now, for this very reason (sleep induction) because my skin seems to be reacting to it lately. (I think because it regulates oil production but I'm no longer overly oily thanks to the skincare regime that the folks on this forum helped me to develop!!). Something about the Ylang Ylang is like a sleeping pill to me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
Candy:

Now I know Why I got pulled over once for no reason!!! LOL!! What's the age limit to be a policeman?

Ha! Likely excuse...no reason, lol - we would never...

To be honest, most officers (unless in small municipalities or Traffic Divisions) DO NOT want to issue citations. Traffic Court (although for CPD is overtime for me) is such a pain in the whatzis to get downtown and signed in by 9 am, I and most other officers avoid it like the plague. Unless there is an accident or utter and total disregard for traffic codes, I'm looking to you to give me a good (ok, even plausible)reason NOT to give you a ticket (we don't issue warnings here). But of course, give me a hard time about your bad driving habits...hmmm, looky me goin' over your vehicle with a fine toothed comb. I'll even write ya for the Christmas Tree air freshner or Fuzzy Dice hanging from your rear view mirror! Bad Grin Said I don't like to do traffic, doesn't mean I don't know how! Bad Grin Bad Grin

And there is NO such thing as a quota. (but 6 more Burglar Alarm citations and the bright, shiny new toaster oven is all mine! Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you girls and guys for your answers!
I appreciate it. I will try Yoga and meditation. May be the best way is to get a vacation, even for a weekend, to go somewhere and relax... I'm just dreaming... I still have a few exams until mid of April.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Some of the things mentioned above also work for me. I do them many times a week right now.

1. get relaxed with a long bath and beer.
2. I agree with not going to bed until you are 100% tired, then jump in right away.
3. I get there usually by watching a home shopping channel or reading a book completely unrelated to my daily life, school, etc.

#4 NEW. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I absolutely have to have a cup of hot milk to take to bed. Even if I get relaxed and tired, I cannot drop off to sleep without this. Wink
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Laral,

I agree with many of the suggestions here, especially meditation and yoga.

These are two things that really help me.

1. Writing down all the things that are racing around in my mind. It sounds crazy but once they're down on paper it's like I don't have to think about them anymore. I make a list of every little thing, it always makes me feel better. The big thing here is the reality check because in your head it feels like 100 things, but once it's written down it's like 10.

2. I take a magnesium product called Natural Calm http://www.naturalcalm.net/home.shtml. This stuff has really made a huge difference in my life and I could not live without it. I'll never forget the first time I took it. I was not sleeping well for maybe a year and was very stressed out. I took this stuff and my entire body felt amazing and so relaxed within minutes, something I'd not felt in a very long time. I finally started falling asleep fast and sleeping through the night. The biggest bonus was it pretty much cured my pms.

Good luck with all your exams. I'm sure you'll do great! Very Happy
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
cloe, I totally forgot about writing things down! I used to do that and it really helped me tons to get things in perspective and reassure me that I wouldn't forget something important. In school I kept a pad and pen next to my bed in case something new flew into my head while trying to sleep. Then I'd look at my list in the morning over coffee. This one is a gem.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Pnw, Isn't it amazing? It just completely frees up your mind. Sometimes that's all you need is perspective.

This really helps when you have a big issue or problem that you're battling with as well. Just journal a few pages of your feelings on the issue and it's like instant therapy for free! Very Happy
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
cloe, I used to keep a journal just for that purpose! So I could reread it the next day or so and see how goofy or hormonally whacko I sounded. Laughing That's perspective! Sometimes it just feels good to rant. I have an overactive mind at night. It always races when I'm solving a problem or working on a project.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
cloe, I used to keep a journal just for that purpose! So I could reread it the next day or so and see how goofy or hormonally whacko I sounded.

Laughing OMG that's so funny. I've done the same thing. Sometimes I'll look back years later at things I wrote and think "Who is this person?"

I'm the same way with the overactive mind, always trying to solve my problems and everyone elses. It's pure Madness. It's a bad habit but I'm learning not to be this way. It takes up way too much of my energy.
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I frequently suffer from insomnia. I usually do three nights in a row of an over the counter sleep aid like unisom and that conditions me to go to sleep. If I don't it can last for weeks.

I'm trying to order the Natural Calm that cloe suggested but I'm having a problem with the website and may have to call the order in on Monday. Somebody else recently told me I may need magnesium.

Liz
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Liz,

Good luck with your Natural Calm order. This stuff is really good and it comes in different flavors. My favorite is Raspberry Lemon.

Let us know how it works for you. Very Happy
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, great tips, everyone...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I received my Natural Calm supplement yesterday. I've only taken it once so far so I can't coment on it's effectiveness with regard to my insomnia and anxiety attacks but after reading the information booklet that came with it I've already decided to put Tim on it too. I had no idea that magnesium deficiency was responsible for so many problems.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |