Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

help choosing retinol..... SC or green cream?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
I finally decided to buy retinol product for my acne scars and occasional breakouts. However, I cannot decide between the green cream and SC.
I read in some of the threads in the forum that SC has high amount of silicone? How does this affect skin? (what does silicone really do?).
thanks
Ssue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:20 am      Reply with quote
When looking at a retinol product the biggest factor is the concentration. The highest OTC % you can buy is 1%. Sensitive skin types should start with a lower concentration like .15 or .30% and work your way up. (Any retinol product can be irritating to the skin if you aren't careful).
Silicone and other such ingredients are emollients which will keep your skin from drying out too much. (A good thing with retinol or glycolic acid.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi RoadToNowhere,

Why not visit your doctor and request a prescription for Trentenoin [Retin A]?

It's stronger, more effective and cheaper than the weaker retinol.

Just a thought ...

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with ssue. choose your retinol by concentration first, starting off low (they call this preconditioning) then decide by company whether your skin is oily or dry and choose either a gel texture or an emollient lotion texture for the delivery.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
hi hpjrt....
i went to the dermatologist about six months ago, and hr did not think i need anything strong. In fact, to get rid of my scars, he suggested microdermabrasion, but I didnot want to do it, since my skin has a little tendency of having keloid scarring(I read somewhere online that you should not get microdermabrasion if you have keloid scarring). My current acne scars are not keloid scars, but sometimes if the scar is deep enough it becomes keloid scarring(phew..... its hard to explain it).
Anyways... since I do not want any procedure done, he suggested me to buy this vitamin c(20%) and vitamin a(dont know what the concentration is) from his office. I do not know what brand it is(he made it himself maybe?).
Anyways... the product finished a cuople of months ago, but instead of buying it from him(which is overpriced, i think its like $75/each), i want to just buy something else.
hence, back to my question, which one do you think is better, SC or green cream?
thanks
Very Happy
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you should try another doctor because as you age, you do need retin A- we all do! It's the best thing that I started using. My skin glows. Good luck!
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
hi gosserj....
I will eventually get retin-a. maybe when i am like 35? but i really dont think i need it now (besides the derm, my aesthetician also agrees with me on this), and i just want to use something less irritating (i read that retin a often irritates skin?).
Aside from the acne scars, I really dont have anything major such as wrinkles or aomething that needs retin a.
hm... but i still need help in deciding tho, between SC and green cream.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I haven't tried green cream yet but I love Skinceutical's Retinol .5%. It absorbs really well. I found the 1.0% too strong for me and I can't use it often. Eventually I would want to try PSF retinol cream. PSF makes excellent products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
hi wild cat....
do you know how difference is psf retinol in comparison to CS?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think someone else on the forum mentioned that PSF's version is a lotion texture. Skinceutical's version is a cream-gel version. I am not sure what the difference is really...and maybe the thickest one is the Green Cream...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:11 am      Reply with quote
hm... shoot.... now i am torn between SC and PSF.
wild cat: does your skin get flaky using SC 0.5 %?.
also, from your signature/profile thing on the bottom of your message, it seems like your skin is almost like mine (mid 20s occasional breakouts and acne scars). does SC retinol help with the acne scars?
hm.... I have read that PSF makes wonderful products. but..... SC is founded by soome doctor from duke(which has a really good med program).
hm..... decision decision....
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
My skin did flake a little after using SC.5 but nothing compare to SC1.0. I actually think the texture of 0.5 is even lighter than 1.0

I am going to try PSF next just because I am planning a big order with PSF...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I highly recommend GC and most of the makeupalley users do too. Plus there are three levels to choose from 3, 6, 9 and their website is very helpful and even includes a great forum with lots of advice. I think it's justwww.greencream.com.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Here is the difference between SC and PSF

PSF
rich night cream...contains soothing rosewater, jojoba, and alpha lipoic acid to hydrate and protect...regulates over-production of sebum...best suited for non-sensitive oily or mature skin types.

SkinCeuticals
(not much info in their brochure)
for problematic (acne prone) and photo-damaged skin (age-spots)...helps minimize pore size while correcting blemishes and blotchiness.

Personally I find the SC to not be as hydrating as the PSF, which I switched to after SC and the PSF does not make me break out either. Both function the same way. I have never tried Green Cream, but the benefit to that is more choices of strengths.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
hi pnw....
so, do you think that if I buy PSF retinol, I will not need to put another poisturizer on top of it to keep my skin moisturized?
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere,

That is hard for me to say because we all have different skin types. Mine is prone to dryness quickly. All I can tell you is that it doesn't dry my skin out and between that and using my sunscreen, I don't use any extra moisturiser. I do believe it is the most moisturizing of the three brands mentioned here.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |