Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Howdy Smile

I swear, I'm turning into "Yonkalogica" girl nowadays. I LOVE Dermalogica's Oil Control Lotion. It contains salicylic acid to control acne, but also has balm mint to induce that ever-so-great tingly, cool feeling.

One word of caution, though: Do not use the oil control lotion over any other acne products as that would really strip your skin of natural oils. For instance, I usually use Proactiv's Acne solution on the bottom layer of my face. Do not use the oil control lotion on top as it'll just add fuel to the fire and dry out your skin. I can use the oil control lotion without Proactiv solution to give myself the same "acne treatment" without going so far as to "double attack" my skin.

I have ordered the Active Moist moisturizer to see how it reacts with Proactiv Solution. I think it's less medicinal so it shouldn't dry out my skin.

Overall, the oil control lotion is VERY nice. It's a very light texture, white in color, and your skin just drinks it up. It controls oil beyond belief . . . I usually "pat my skin" in the afternoon with a tissue to remove excess oil, but there's not a lot to remove when I use the oil control lotion!

I would definitely ask for a sample before you buy it in full size just to see how it reacts with your skin due to the salicylic acid.

Lisa
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion (118 ml / 4 oz.)
Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion (118 ml / 4 oz.)

A feather-light lotion with microsponge technology to absorb excess facial oil throughout the day, maintaining a matte finish. Exclusive Skin Response Complex soothes and hydrates tight, irritated skin. Acne-prone/oily skin conditions.

Lady Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lisa,

I too love Dermalogica's oil control lotion. I usually "mop up" oil late morning/early afternoon - but no need to with this lotion.
I heard it described as having "micro sponges" to control oil - I don't know how it works, but it does the trick.
A little tip - sometimes if my skin feels a little dry (winter months etc.) I use the multi active toner first then the oil control lotion and it hydrates my skin just enough, but doesn't produce an oil slick the same way as the multi active toner and active moist does.
This is definately a must have for people with oily skin and works great with anti bac skinwash.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa, I'm so glad you reviewed this! I didn't know it had salicylic acid in it; I love salicylic acid! In fact my old favorite moisturizer was by Almay and it was called something like pore minimizing lotion and it had an SPF of 8 and salicylic acid in it. It worked the best on my skin, but unfortunately it's discontinued. I haven't been able to find it anywhere. So I am on the search for another moisturizer with salicylic acid in it. I've tried Murad's and hated it. I usually tend to avoid moistuirizers geared for oiily skin because mine is really combination and is actually dehydrated right now with this winter weather. So a few q's for you, if you don't mind...

1. Do you know the ingredients? Most of Dermalogica's moisturizers seem to contain silk protein, does this one? I can't use silk being vegan.
2. Is it drying?
3. Is it moisturizing enough?
thanks!
Mabsy

Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:17 am      Reply with quote
Well, gotta love the tingly feeling so I'd also like to know if this is moisturising enough. Sorry Lisa, I forget if you have combo or oily skin? I'm just wondering if this would be suitable for combo-type-people Smile

Also, does this give you a matte finish?

Thanks Smile
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Howdy Smile It is COLD in Boston people! It feels like it's 18 below outside (that's the published temperature anyway). Yowsa!

As for the oil control lotion -- Thoughtcrime, I don't see any indication of silk protein -- but those are the actual words I'm looking for. Do they go by something else? Another thing might be to ask EDS directly as I don't want to give you wrong information. It's drying only if you use it on top of some other acne medication. Remember, no need to attack in two layers. So if you use an acne medication, use another, "real" moisturizer that doesn't have salicylic acid in it. Otherwise, if you just use the oil control lotion by itself, it is quite enjoyable -- tingly, moisturizing, and deters oil!

Mabsy -- I have combination skin and the oil control lotion is GREAT. It gives a pretty matte finish -- it makes applying Bare Minerals really smooth and fun Smile I really like the effect it gives. Again, it's moisturizing enough so long as you aren't using another acne medication at the same time. If your skin is ultra-dry, I would suggest a real moisturizer to get back your regular moisture -- but in normal conditions, it is a great lotion and make-up base.

Lady Jane -- thanks for the tip about the toner! I shall try that since it's so cold up here!

Lisa
Mabsy

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa,

Sounds like it would be a perfect base for powder mineral foundations. I don't like putting them over sticky moisturisers because I find that it's harder to get an even application. On the other hand, at the moment I'm using JI Liquid Minerals and find quite the opposite. I HAVE to apply this to a freshly moisturised face otherwise it grabs to the drier areas. The Oil Control Lotion sounds like a good option for when I get back to my 'powder phase' Smile I'll make sure I try to get a sample of it. Thanks for the info Wink
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa, thanks. Depending on the ingredients, this is at the top of my list of things to try!

BTW Mabsy, how are you liking the JI liquid minerals? I'm dying to hear your review, hint hint... :P I was just reading up on the product yesterday, and it looks and sounds intriguing. Got mixed reviews on MUA. They either loved or hated it. What's your opinion--loose minerals or liquid, what's you're favorite foundation?
Mabsy

Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
No worries, I will write a review of it on the weekend. I've actually got two of them; Bisque and Warm Silk. I have to finish this report for work so 'till then I'll have to keep you in suspence Smile
robinp

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I found that using this along with drying remedies makes the face far too dry. I clean with Proactive and my dermatologist prescribed Tazorac. Adding the Dermatologica lotion to the mix just made my skin too dry which ultimately brought out more oils. I'm still trying to find something to combat the overabundance of oil on my face. I am 39 years old and am oiler than I was in my teens.
Sad
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there Robinp,

I also use Proactiv, which is why I do not suggest using the Oil Control Lotion in conjunction with Proactiv. I usually use the acne lotion under make-up so adding the oil control lotion (which included more drying salicylic acid) just dehydrates the skin. Instead, I alternate between using the repairing lotion and the oil control lotion. I like the cooling sensation that Dermalogica's Oil Control Lotion provides so it's a nice pick-me up Smile I use the repairing lotion at night still, though. Definitely moisturize with a regular moisturizer on top of your Proactiv stuff as the product will dry out your skin if you don't keep things moisturized. Hope you find something you like!
Lisa
limis

Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:58 am      Reply with quote
I love the oil control lotion too...except that overapplication would result in "flaking" of the lotion, especially when i apply the barrier repair over it.
christygao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
This does control oil, but I only use it on my nose and forhead, cause it makes the skin too dry.

buy the way, using this on the T-zone can make the foundation last a longer time ^^
peachy3001
5% products discount

Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Great moisturizer. I use it everyday.
laylastam
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
i would have to give this a go....i have it but never tried it. i have oily T-zone...so will use it today!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |