Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: St. Tropez tinted self-tanning lotion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi there! I am planning a trip to Florida in March and I would like to arrive with a light to medium tan. I usually tan rather easily, but my skin is light (but not white) in color now. I would like to try a sunless tanning product again, but it has been about 10 years since I have shopped for one. I liked Estee Lauder's version, but there are so many other products out there! Any recommendations?
Mabsy

Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Hey k.a.t.

I'd recommend the St Tropez lotion. I'm pale and find that a lot of self tanning lotions/gels turn orange on me. The St Tropez by far gave me the most natural colour. It's a bit different to other self tanning lotions in that you actually apply it and leave on overnight. The lotion is dark brown so you can see what you're doing. I was worried that it would rub off on my bed sheets but it didn't (I gave it enough time to dry before I went to bed). In the morning you hop in the shower and rinse it off. The colour was very natural and lasted on me for almost a week I think. On me it looked like a healthy tan, but like I said I'm very pale. You might have to do two applications if you want a much darker one.

Also, make sure that you exfoliate and moisturise religiously for a few days before you apply it.

HTH.

ps. Enjoy Florida! I'm very jealous! Smile
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,
I pumped out a bit of a tester of St. Tropez tinted self-tanning lotion and I gotta tell ya I was frightened at color that spewed forth. Dark as chocolate! From what you said, the dark color does make sense. I did not think about it, but a lighter color product makes it easy to miss those hard-to-reach places (under my bum Wink) That reminds me, do you think this product is ok for facial skin?

What exfoliation method do you find works well on a daily basis prior to application?
Mabsy

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
K.a.t.

Yeah, the colour of it is a bit scary isn't it? Smile But it does not turn out that dark on your skin, I promise! Btw, the colour provides a guide but don't worry if you cannot get it to be 100% streak free. It's just there to show you what spots you've missed. Even if it looks a bit streaky the tan still turns out fine.

I usually try to exfoliate a few times a week using a scrub (at the moment I'm alternating between three (Clinique Sparkle something something, MDF Face & Body Scrub and a DYI version of Origins salt rub). But when I want to put on a fake tan I make sure that I exfoliate everyday for a few days prior to application. That involves using the scrubs but also using loofah gloves with shower gel on the days that I wouldn't ususally exfoliate (so in between "scrub days"). And I moisturise at night using a 10% glycolic moisturiser. Sounds like a bit of overkill but it gives me a nice smooth tan and I have not had any problems. Also, on the day that I apply the tan, I moisturise in the morning and then in the evening again moisturise but just the problematic areas like knees, ankles etc

I think the instructions on the St Tropez say that it's an all-over self tan; including your face. I haven't tried it on my face though.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi K.a.t and Mabsy,

What's the consistency of the St. Tropez lotion, is it creamy or runny? And is it a product that you have to work quickly into the skin to avoid streaking?

I've only tried the Dior Bronze Instant Glow Tinted Body self-tanner and it gave me a natural looking tan, and was quite fool-proof when it came to streaking as it's a creamy formula.

Do you guys wear disposable gloves when applying self-tanners?

K.a.t, I second Mabsy on the need to exfoliate AND moisturise religiously before using self tanning products. Your application will go on like silk-- no flakiness and you'll have the most perfect looking 'tan'. Cool

Summertimegirl
wenron
5% products discount

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have used "SUN" sunless tanning lotion for over a year now. I love it! I buy it at my beauty Salon. It has also been recognized in magazines as being one of the best. There are different shades. The only thing is that you have to wash your hands really well and you get a tiny bit on your bra, but I haven't found anything better so far. Oh, and I don't smell that aweful smell with it like the others.
Mabsy

Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

The St Tropez lotion is a thick dark chocolate coloured lotion. I don't find that I have to work in it quickly, I generally take my time with it and try to make sure I'm spreading it evenly. And yes, I do wear disposable gloves with it. If you saw how scarily dark this lotion is you'd understand why! Plus, seeing as I take my time applying this, I decided it would be safer to wear gloves Smile But St Tropez also makes a Self-Tan remover (which I haven't tried) that you can use on little stuff-ups or on your palms Wink
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhh.... just love getting back to the forum for a relaxing read-up on all the posts and new reviews, not to mention making a mental list of the 'essential' items that you girls make me want to try!!! Cool

Thanks Mabsy for this! Fake tan has been one of the products that I have to have time for-- definitely not one of those things you can just slap on before you leave the house hehe!! It's such a perfect product for winter as that's when I find I DO have time to indulge and pay oodles and oodles of attention to every bit of my body... not that summertime warrants any less attention but you just want to get out there and enjoy the outdoors!! Very Happy I get quite ashen and pale from the cold weather in winter so love anything that gives me colour-- although there isn't much of a chance at getting down to strappy tops unless it's inside a heated place or a nightclub where it's dark but good to know that my 'glow' isn't from my ghoulishly pale skin.

If this one looks natural on you then it's going to be right for me, you're a good indicator!! I'm not fair but it sounds like you can work this 'tan' to the intensity of shade you like.

Have you seen those new spray on natural tans you get done at salons? The part you have to prepare for is the exfoliation, be waxed or shaved, moisturised in other words silky smooth, then turn up at the salon where you pop on a disposable bikini bottom, stand in a booth and the tan is sprayed in the finest of mists to the body by machine, with you moving robotic-like with arms up at right angles. I've seen the fake tan on one of the girls, it looked natural but she had forgotten her face!!! Note: To remember to do face or bring a long bronzer.

Summertimegirl Wink
Mabsy

Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by summertimegirl
Have you seen those new spray on natural tans you get done at salons? The part you have to prepare for is the exfoliation, be waxed or shaved, moisturised in other words silky smooth, then turn up at the salon where you pop on a disposable bikini bottom, stand in a booth and the tan is sprayed in the finest of mists to the body by machine, with you moving robotic-like with arms up at right angles. I've seen the fake tan on one of the girls, it looked natural but she had forgotten her face!!! Note: To remember to do face or bring a long bronzer.

Yeah I read about these and I'm still tempted to try it. Though I read somewhere that you must remember to then scrub the bottom of your feet. One girl ended up with big tan stains on her soles from standing on the ground and her feet touching all the 'excess' tan that has run off Smile Reading about people's experiences it seems to be a bit of a lottery when it comes to the results as well. I've read of a few people that have actually got a streaky tan (be it from the inexperience of the sprayer, or their own inexperience in moving the way they are supposed to when instructed). Since I am self-tan-challenged I think I'd have a high chance of having something go wrong Smile So I'll stick to my tried&tested St Tropez for now Smile

Mabsy.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
If any of you girls decide to try the "spray-on tan," remember to hold your breath for the few seconds you're in the booth.

(I recently read a scary article about inhaling the stuff)Surprised
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hello All!
Wenron, the smell of products is important to me too! I smelled a bit of a tester of St Tropez (perhaps a bit too closely as I got a touch of it on my nose :P). The smell was pleasant in contrast to the estee lauder (10 yrs ago). I have a feeling self tanners have come along way since then.

I expect that I will be as "self-tan challenged" as Mabsy and I like the prospect of "fool-proof" application. Very Happy

Now I just need to pick one to go with first. Curious... summertimegirl, how do you like the smell & feel of the Dior cream?
wenron
5% products discount

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
K.a.t.
I am tempted to try the St Tropez to see if I like it better than the "Sun" sunless tanning lotion. I haven't found anything better, but if something is, I'll go for it. I do want to be tan and not just one step above pale. The "SUN" brands have different levels of tanning. How do you get dark with the St Tropez? The prep does sound a bit lengthy. I just scrub in the shower and then apply the SUN....so that aspect of it sound a lot easier...but we'll see. Oh, how much is it and where do you get it?
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by k.a.t.

I expect that I will be as "self-tan challenged" as Mabsy and I like the prospect of "fool-proof" application. Very Happy

Now I just need to pick one to go with first. Curious... summertimegirl, how do you like the smell & feel of the Dior cream?

Hey K.a.t,

I actually really like the smell of the Dior Instant Glow-- it hints of coconut only not as sweet as you would expect coconot to smell, it's definitely not overpowering or synthetic-smelling, plastic-ky smell I got from the Estee Lauder one I tried years ago. Sad The Dior one gives a really natural radiant honey tone tan, I got it in Bronze for fair skin, although I have Asian beigey skin...for darker skin there's the Super-Bronze.

I don't think I could go for the salon spray-on tans, just too much trouble for what it's worth and it's much more fun applying it yourself-- getting it even on your back is a bit tricky though, so helps if sis or a gal-pal is around!

Alohagirl, you're always looking out for us all... you're the best... thanks for the note re the fumes emitted by the spray on tans... but how scary was the article? Surprised

Summertimegirl Very Happy
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by summertimegirl
how scary was the article?

Not too scary. It just said that the spray contains sugar-based DHA which causes a chemical reaction on the skin, so it's only approved for external use. They don't know how it affects mucous membranes and lungs--so until they do, hold your breath!

--Alohagirl:P
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Alohagirl! I also read about some startling revlations about tanning beds as they're now not as safe as people thought-- and actually cause melanomas! Surprised I'm going to stick to self-application as it's more fun.... there are so many nice yummy-smelling products out there that will give you a beautiful summer's glow..... I've just come across the Nars Body Glow in Mecca Cosmetica today-- a gorgeous shimmery oil made with pure gardenia that smelt so good, it reminds you of those island holidays.... the scented golden glow that you get from this body oil is so sexy.... we were talking about Valentines Day (or Mabsy Day)WinkWink and I was thinking of romantic candle-lit dinners...only thing is a bottle of this costs $AU180 so it's on the pricey side. Thank goodness for Sephora! You guys are so lucky to have it!

Summertimegirl
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

WSurprisedW, that Nars Bodyglow looks terrific. (I checked it out on Sephora.com) With Tiare and coconut oil, no wonder it smells like a tropical holiday! Thanks for mentioning it--can't wait to try it!Very Happy

--Alohagirl:P
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi all!

summertimegirl, I had forgotten about Nars body glow. Your description of the smell sounds divine. Perfect for a day at the beach in Florida Cool, or evening at the tiki bar. Wink
Nick Bell

Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:06 am      Reply with quote
It's all right you girls talking about sunless tanning, I am desperate for a tan before I go away on holiday. I am really fair skin and so don't want a dark tan. Which do you recommend. I am probably going to have to go to a salon so what can I expect Sad
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Hello Nick Bell !

Sounds like a you've got a race against time on your hands to get prepped up for the holidays !Very Happy

Mabsy is really fair-skinned like yourself and she's found that the St. Tropez Self Tanning Lotion gives the most natural looking tan amongst most of the self-tanning products she's tried. The girls who have tried the product on this forum have said that the product can look quite dark out of the bottle but don't be put off by this as the results on your own skin is completely different. Wink The thing to avoid is a fake tan that looks 'fake, orange and streaky... you won't get this with St. Tropez.

The secret is in the preparation BEFORE you apply the self-tanning lotion to make sure that your skin is perfectly smooth and hair-free. This means exfoliating and moisturizing a few days before you apply the self-tanner. You can use a body scrub like the devine Origins Incredible Spreadable Salt scrub concentrating on special areas like knees and elbows.... or a loofah mitt made out of natural hemp fibre from the Body Shop with your fav shower jel works well..!! Anything that will achieve baby-smooth, polished skin Wink Remember to shave or wax your legs.... then don't forget to moisturise night and day so your skin is nice and silky smooth ready for the tan !

Night time is the best time to apply a self-tan because you have more time to allow the product to develop, you're in your jammies so there's little risk to staining good clothes and best of all you can sleep on it an wake up to a gorgeous tan ! On the night you apply the self-tanner, start with a clean and dry (unmoisturised bod), your skin should by now be well moisturised from the last few days of religious moisturising, be smooth and unflaky....You could start from the feet and work up or from your arms and work down the body whichever way you like. You could wear a pair of disposable gloves to prevent staining your hands and nails, work in areas at a time, apply in circular motion, paying special attention to the knees and elbow areas (bend them to get the product smoothed out on their skin) and make sure you cover every spot !(the back's the trickiest part so you might want to ask for a hand from a sis or your mum !)

Have fun !... even if you opt for the salon tan (I believe the SunFX system has a various shades of tan to suit all different skin tones) and have a fab time on your holiday !Cool

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
Mabsy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nick Bell! Smile

Summertimegirl is right, I'm very pale and St Tropez works for me. It IS scary coming out of the bottle (chocolate coloured) but it gives me a nice natural looking tan (as opposed to an orangy fake one).

If you do apply it yourself also watch out for your ankles. That seems to be the hardest part for me to get right. Btw St Tropez also make a Self Tan Remover, probably a good thing to invest in if you're just starting out with fake tans (not sure if you are, but I just thought it was worth a mention...)

Mabsy.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |