Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Can I use Jojoba with vit c/retinol/glycolics?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Darn it! I just discovered how wonderful jojoba is for my skin and now I don't know which actives to use it with. Brick wall I use vitamin C every morning, and alternate between glycolic acid and retinol every night. I'm thinking that jojoba oil, because it is ph balancing, will cancel out the effectiveness of my glycolic acid. I'm also thinking that because it sinks into the skin, it may help push vitamin c or retinol deeper but don't know if it will affect efficacy and if it should go on before or after the actives. Is anyone here already using this in their routine? Any thoughts as to layering and combinations of the four I have mentioned here?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Boy oh boy - you've been busy!! LOL - don't know if I can give you the "correct" answer, but for myself I have been doing this and it's worked pretty damn well for me...

A.M. - OCM
PSF DMAE Toner
PSF O2 Spray
PSF BrowTox
PSF Stimucoll C
PSF Super EmergenC 20%
PSF O2 Spray
Oil of the day - (depends on the forcasted weather) Squalene, Camellia or Emu - a few drops rub it well into my palms then kinda press it into my face and neck.
Hydrating Spray (again, depends on the weather)
DermaButter or Oil of Old Age that I'm trying to use up.

P.M. - OCM
PSF DMAE Toner
PSF O2 Spray
PSF BrowTox
Platinum Skin Care 8% Glyco-Eye Cream
PSC Copper Eye Cream
PSC CP Intense Serum
*Alternate every other night with*
PSF Retinol Night Repair 1%
PSF O2 Spray
Nighttime I usually use Emu then finish with either pure Shea Butter (thanks again TooInvolved Wink ) or Oil of Olay Night cream I'm also trying to use up.

2 nights per week I give my mug a break and do just the OCM,asprin mask, EMU and Shea. Good Gosh - No wonder I don't get enough sleep!! Just looked back on this list and that doesn't include my Frownies and Lash Treatments!

LOL - I think the point I was trying to make here is I use the oil to help push in my actives and seal in the much needed moisture I need.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Candy, thank you for listing everything, I use the O2 serum also. I was thinking along the same lines. Right after I asked this question I got the announcement from PSF about their two new potions with oils so I am going to ask Darren and double check if we got this right.

I want to ask next where you buy your squalene and camellia oils from.......but I'll bet you already answered that one on my other post. Wink
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I really think Darren is sooooooo great - quick with responding to all of our demanding questions.

Here is the answer I received about the balancing oil containing jojoba:
Quote:
Thanks for your message. Since this is a Jojoba oil base (well, jojoba is actually a liquid wax ester), it should be applied AFTER your water soluble actives (vitamin c, O2 Serum, etc). If you Put a water based active over top of any oil based product, it will inhibit the penetration of the water based product.
You can definitely use it with your glycolic product. The "Balancing" part of the product name does not refer to pH, but to sebum balancing. Oils will not affect pH, since there is no water content to surrender a hydrogen. The Balancing Oil works to balance sebum (oil) production in the skin. It is for very oily skin, to help slow down sebum production so the skin becomes less oily.
As for applying after the retin-a, it should be fine, and it will not render the retin-a ineffective. However, you should always wait 10-20 minutes after applying a retinol before you follow up with a moisturizer. Also, if your skin is normal or dry, then the Balancing Oil is not for you. If you have normal to dry skin, then I would try the ALA Complex. Which is organic olive-derived squalene with Alpha lipoic acid (the R+ form).

Candy, aside from your OCM hmm it sounds like you are following this already.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I love jojoba oil, too. On some nights I just skip my Retin-A or Age-Limit AHA serum and apply the jojoba instead. I usually do this when I feel like my skin is going "schizo"...oily and flaky at the same time. The jojoba always puts it right back to normal overnight.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 am      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
Candy, thank you for listing everything, I use the O2 serum also. I was thinking along the same lines. Right after I asked this question I got the announcement from PSF about their two new potions with oils so I am going to ask Darren and double check if we got this right.

I want to ask next where you buy your squalene and camellia oils from.......but I'll bet you already answered that one on my other post. Wink

Ya know - I don't think I did. The Squalene I bought from the health food store next to my gym, and the Camellia I bought when I 1st purchased Epidermx. Both go a loooooooong way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
I really think Darren is sooooooo great - quick with responding to all of our demanding questions.

Here is the answer I received about the balancing oil containing jojoba:
Quote:
Thanks for your message. Since this is a Jojoba oil base (well, jojoba is actually a liquid wax ester), it should be applied AFTER your water soluble actives (vitamin c, O2 Serum, etc). If you Put a water based active over top of any oil based product, it will inhibit the penetration of the water based product.
You can definitely use it with your glycolic product. The "Balancing" part of the product name does not refer to pH, but to sebum balancing. Oils will not affect pH, since there is no water content to surrender a hydrogen. The Balancing Oil works to balance sebum (oil) production in the skin. It is for very oily skin, to help slow down sebum production so the skin becomes less oily.
As for applying after the retin-a, it should be fine, and it will not render the retin-a ineffective. However, you should always wait 10-20 minutes after applying a retinol before you follow up with a moisturizer. Also, if your skin is normal or dry, then the Balancing Oil is not for you. If you have normal to dry skin, then I would try the ALA Complex. Which is organic olive-derived squalene with Alpha lipoic acid (the R+ form).

Candy, aside from your OCM hmm it sounds like you are following this already.

WooHoo! I finally got something right! I'm so proud of me! Very Happy

And I agree with you wholeheartedly - Darren is FABULOUS!!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |