Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
What's this dress called?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Unf. I don't have a pic. But if I describe maybe someone can help. I'm looking for a dress I think is from the 50s or 60s. It's usually figure hugging w/ straight or pencil skirt. The bodice is generally strapless (straight across) and the dress has a lace overlay. The neck line is either jewelneck or sometimes mock neck.

I think I've seen Lucille Ball in such a dress or Joanne Woodward back in the day. But I googled them fruitlessly.

Anyone know what, if anything, this dress is called? I'd love to be able to find a vintage one. Thanks!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi TooInvolved - Sounds like a classic "sheath" dress to me, although the lace overlay isn't requisite. There are contemporary variations that don't exactly conform to what you described, for instance, the necklines may not be jewel-like, and the hemlines may not fall at or around the knee like a classic. But any sheath should be slim and form-fitting.

You may want to rent a video of "The Long Hot Summer" with Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman. It's been ages since I've seen it, but I think you may be correct in thinking she sported this style in her heyday.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:04 am      Reply with quote
Would any of these be it?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/fashion-w.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:53 am      Reply with quote
you're such a google-junkie Candy Laughing

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:12 am      Reply with quote
I can see the dress in my mind perfectly. I agree that it's probably called a strapless "sheath."

I would also google Jackie O., Katherine Hepburn, and Grace Kelly.

I also wonder whether the internet has sewing patterns from this era that would have one.

Good Luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, all! Candy, I didn't see the dress there. But 50s web is a great source!

I agree the dress is likely a sheath. But I'm wondering if when it has the lace on top (usually just sewn to the bodice) is it called something different altogether?

Thanks, again!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Hello again TooInvolved - I think I know now what you mean about the top part of the dress (it didn't register at first). Yes, it's still a sheath. Sometimes the overlay was chiffon, mesh or another type of sheer fabric. The term sheath simply denotes the silhouette of the dress.

I actually have a sheath myself. I bought it at Saks about 5 yrs. ago and it's sleeveless with a square neckline in a beautiful shade of greyish aqua, with some shimmer (silk/linen/metallic fiber). I only wore it once, but sheaths are classics so I'm holding on to it! The only thing I don't like about them (or mine) is the creasing in the lap area after sitting -- because sheaths are so form-fitting, this is almost unavoidable unless the fabric is such that it isn't inclined to wrinkle.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
For some reason, the term sheath didn't occur to me before I read your post. I'll google "sheath" and some other keywords, and look for them on ebay too. I really want a sheath with the lace/mesh/etc on top. I don't know why the dress popped into my head, but when I get on jags like this I become a fiend about it. I'm sooo into the vintage/glamour thing right now. Maybe I'll just have to get the dress made. I've done that. Trick is finding a good seamstress - and being able to describe the dress correctly.

YOUR DRESS SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks much!

T
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
The only thing I don't like about them (or mine) is the creasing in the lap area after sitting -- because sheaths are so form-fitting, this is almost unavoidable unless the fabric is such that it isn't inclined to wrinkle.

I agree! But I recently purchased a black Jones New York sheath made of a poly/lycra blend and it doesn't wrinkle at all. Fortunately, not too much lycra so that it clings in all the wrong places!

Ann Taylor makes alot of sheaths, now that I think of it... and I think they also use a similar fabric.

Maybe check out Ann Taylor's website in your pursuit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, LandB-

You guys have been a HUGE help!

I googled Grace Kelly and it turns out her wedding dress has the top (bodice? yoke?) I want. I just want a straight skirt though, knee length:

I googled Audrey Hepburn also and came up with a photo of this gown, which I've been searching for for YEARS. I have the movie My Fair Lady and had a dress made like this for my wedding:

*Sorry for the huge pics! They were even bigger - I resized them.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:01 am      Reply with quote
those dresses are lovely...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say how lovely the dresses are! Sorry I can't help you on your find TooInvolved, I do hope you find your vintage dress. When you do, please post a picture of it. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, guys!

When I was planning my wedding, I saw a gown inspired by the one above from My Fair Lady (the embassy ball scene).

It was $5K at the time and I can't recall the designer. I also write for a fashion and beauty blog. Wedding season's coming up. If anyone knows of where I can point readers to get a dress like this, please let me know.

And, I just heard on TV that Grace Kelly's wedding gown will be on exhibition at the Phila. Museum of Art April 1 to May 21. I am sooo thrilled! Great timing!

Thanks!

T
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |