Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
retin A 0.1%
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Is anyone using this strenght of retin A.
I used till now,0.01% and It didn't do a lot for my skin, so I decided to go to 0.1%.A layer of my skin is coming off only after two nights of using.I exfoliate a lot in this morning but still I didn't look very good.Tonight I am using Valmont renewing Pack mask for my face and no Retin A.
My question is:will my skin get used to this strenght of Retin A, if I will start using every second night?
Does the skin get thinner using Retin A?I do have a very thin skin to start with.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't used retin a but I suggest using it every second night until your skin builds up some tolerance

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
That is a HUGE jump in strength for Retin A. I started with .01%, then went up to .025% then to .05% and now I'm on retin A micro. To go from .01% to .1% could really cause some serious irritation. Your skin may adjust to it if you go really slowly, like twice a week, but it still may be too much. The better way would be to go down to .025% or .05% and slowly work your way back up. Hang on to that .1% until you get back up there.
rkai93
5% products discount

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
my derm recommeded the following for satarting retin-a:

start with monday and friday the first week
then , monday, wed friday
then , monday wed friday, sun
then monday wed thursday sat
then monday, thesday wed sat sunday

basically start slow...you can use a very light, basic moisturizer first...let it penetrate your skin, THEn apply the Retin-A
dont mix them together.

If you are too peely - take a day off...
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Dianne, what brand are you using? Is it generic and does it contain oil or is it a gel?
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
I was using the Steiva-A cream. The alcohol based gel really dried and irritated my skin. But I worked my way up and now I use Retin-A-Micro.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much. That seems like the only product I've heard of that starts off so low.
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.I took a break from Retin A, I used Monday and Friday night.Meantime, I use like moisturizer Valmont Renewing Pack Mask and I exfoliate a lot.Also, I have to use a thick cream under the eye area, cellcosmet is not so rich so I am using Valmont eye and lip cream.I hope next week I will go for three nights and see how it goes.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
hey dianne,

did you get your retin a micro from regular pharmacys in canada?

because i wasn't sure if micro is offered in canada...

do you guys know whats the difference between regular retin a and retin a micro?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I get mine through my regular pharmacist in town. My GP writes me a prescription for it. From what I understand, only the retin-A-micro comes in .1% strength in Canada, however I think in the US you can get it in both .1% and .04% strength as well.

The difference is that although both contain tretinoin, the retin-a-micro has microspheres which hold the medication in reserve, allowing the skin to absorb small amounts of tretinoin over time. Kind of like a slow release delivery system. This results in a lot less irritation and why we can tolerate a higher strength.

Hth
jehjahlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Your skin should not get thinner from using vitamin A, however, I would go slow with it so as not to irritate the skin which could lead to broken capillaries under the skin, which show up more on thin skin. Retin-A does not have to peel your skin for it to be effective, the skin may become more used to the peeling effects in that your skin will still continue to exfoliate, but not to where you would notice it like when you first start it, however, Retin-A's beauty is that it is said to help with the building blocks (GAGs) of the skin, where you don't see its' results, and that is what causes the skin to firm, tigten and re-hydrate and repair itself, leaving the skin smoother and younger-looking. So if you don't notice any peeling after awhile, the Retinol is still working below the skin to restore and repair. Smile
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I hit the motherlode yesterday! First my Hydraplenish HA pills came, then my Personal Formulator vitamin C ingredients, then my doc gave me a prescription for Retin-A .025% gel! Picking that up today, I hope. Think I'm gonna pass out from all the excitement! Very Happy
FoxyMama1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I use tazorac 0.1% - I did have to work my way up. My Esthetician asked me to mix it with the Biophora's Derma Rich Moisturizer, and Biophora's Vitemin C Powder (which I buy off her) - she asked me to make it into cocktail and then apply. This question is to "rkai93" - you did mentioned not to mix it with a cream, and your recommendation was from a derm - my guess is he knows better. Am I doing something bad here? Thanks Rose Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Rose,
I'm not rkai, but I have an idea about that:
most creams contain water, and you're not supposed to mix Retin A with water (that's why they instruct you to apply it on your skin after cleansing and waiting for 20-30 for it to dry).

Of course if your cream is all oil-based with no water, that shouldnt' be a problem.

I notice my skin burns a lot worse (more flaking and redness) if I just touch my face with a wet hand after applying RetinA (I use 0.1% strength). When I'm diligent about keeping it all dry, I don't get any redness at all.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
wow, pumaka, thanks for the tip! I'm bummed. I went to pick up my retin-A and the doc says I have to wait to see if my insurance approves it. Confused Why? Because I'm 35! Insurance only covers it until you are 31 - after that you need approval. It's $100!!! I can see why some buy it in Mexico Rolling Eyes Keeping my fingers crosed. Sad
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
100$????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes It is too much.I paid for mine 24 CAD...However, I applied Retin A last night again, I wanted to do Monday, Wed and Friday this week.I have peelings all over, I will exfoliate tomorrow morning and hopefully will be OK.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
How much would 24 CAD amount to in American? Should I go to a different pharmacy? Either way, I am gettin' this stuff!
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Where can you get your Rx filled beside a pharmacy? I mean, where can you buy it cheaper and from a reputable source?

I recently ordered a product called Ystheal Gel by Avene. It is retinalhyde (sp)a precursor to retinoic acid. I'm hoping that my skin will tolerate it much better than Renova and Retin A---my skin goes bonkers with either of those Mad

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I used to buy it in Eastern European pharmacies with no prescription for like $4-5. And it was the real thing, made by Janssen-Cilag somewhere in Europe (I think in Germany or Switzerland but not sure). 5 years ago it disapeared from pharmacies there.

I have now bought Retin-A 0.1% online twice. Both times for around $30US with shipping.

Once, it came all the way from Fiji but packaging was just like I was used to seeing, and it was fresh.

Second time (fall 2005) I bought it from a web site based in NY, but the product came from India. I specifically ordered "Brand-name", not a knock off, yet packaging looked different.

Information on the tube and look/smell of the cream are the same. So I risked it. Spot-tested it at first, very carefully. It worked okay and I've been using it for a few months now. So far so good...

However, just because they sent me a no-name packaging even though I paid for brand-name, I won't reorder from that web site.

It felt weird ordering from a pharmacy that probably sends out all that spam about "Get bigger", "Please your woman" etc. Smile

Not sure where I'll be buying it next time. Unfortunately, I'm addicted by now...
FoxyMama1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Pumaka, I had no idea that you couldn't mix Retin A with water. Must go find out whether my cream is oil based (dont think so) - it stings a wee bit when I put it on, but I have gotten use to it. Thanks for the tip - Very Happy

The things I have learned from EDS - amazing! You girls are awsume! Cool

5% products discount

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 am      Reply with quote
ww.inhousepharmacy.com sell retin-a cheaply and no prescription required. They've also just introduced a non-generic brand called Retino-A with the same amount of active ingredient [tretinoin] as the branded variety. The Retino-A is apreciably cheaper too at just £9.87 The company has UK and International divisions and I have always found their service very reliable. They don't sell retin-A micro unfortunately
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! Where are others buying their retin-A from?
hisdrinkoffering
5% products discount

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Three questions:

I also use the 1%.

1. Do you apply it under your eyes?

2. Does anyone actually wait 20-30 mins. before applying? I can't seem to be that patient.

3.Does anyone apply any other product before or after the retin a?

I have heard applying any moisturizer minimizes the affect.

Would love some input about this...

Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |