Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is Collagen really vital to mature skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
The esthetician at the beauty salon recommended me to buy a face cream with collagen.She said ladies over 50 yrs of age should use these kinds of cream to provide firming effect. Is that true?
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
In a nut shell--no. It adds nice moisturizing and hydrating affects to a cream. There are a few different forms of collagen, none of which (that I'm aware of) have "firming" capabilities. Collagen is found in the dermal layers of the skin and from I understand no cosmecuticals can penetrate this layer.Your best bet to enhance/support collagen is a Rx retinoid product. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:15 am      Reply with quote
So far, I have heard the same thing. Collagen molecules are too large to penetrate to where you need them.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't matrixyl (or at least its claims) a small enough collagen to actually penetrate?

Melissa
iwalters
5% products discount

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
The AlphaDerma CE I use has collagen and elastin and I believe that's one reason why my skin feels and looks firmer.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
As we age, we lose collagen from underneath our skin. This is one of the causes of older looking skin. The only thing I know of that increases collagen is Retin-A.

DMAE in a product will help with sagging skin.

Never heard of Matrixyl.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:20 am      Reply with quote
Hiya, I thought Matrixyl was a pentapeptide ( yes and a very small molecule!) rather than collagen ( either natural or synthetic) itself. These things (peptides like Matrixyl and Dermaxyl ) are supposed to encourage your own skin to produce collagen more effectively ( as the sub dermal "scaffolding" that holds up the skin and lessening of it as we ages shows up as sagging) rather than to try and infuse collagen itself into the dermis. Smile
Glycolics to a degree "excite" the collagen fibres under the surface to act more "upright and dense" over time too apparently.

I think they realised eventually that as collagen is something we produce naturally, what we need are methods to just encourage it's effective regeneration within our skins ....because it can't be just replaced by synthetic or collagen molecules ( not just because of the size molecule) and integrated into human subcutaneous tissues as a simple replacement for our own. When you think about the sheer difficulty/compatibility issues in getting human beings to accept other organs/tissues when transplants are needed.... it isn't surprising really.
What a pity! They used to have lots of "Collagen" creams back in the 70's and 80's with that notion of simple replacement, often using bovine collagen... not anymore, time and testing have shown the idea just doesn't work in practice and encouraging our own collagen fibres to "behave" better again is the way to go. Till they come up with some other new idea eh? Always something else coming along isnt there? Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thanks, muzzie, for such a clarifying response. I have been wondering about which ingredients could be firming for the skin and always get it mixed up when it comes to looking for a products that contains collagen or a product that contain ingredients that encourage production/support of collagen.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks muzzie,
your right it is touted as encouraging collagen growth, its found in strivectin and a ton of products now. I used a serum for about a yr or so and liked it well enough till I stopped using it and had absolutely no change Laughing

Melissa
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi girls. Thank you for your comment.I know what it is now.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
One of our new members who was interested in taking the now infamous hyaluronic acid nutritional supplements for lip plumping recently made her maiden post and provided us with a link to a website run by health journalist Bill Sardi, who authored a book entitled “How to Live 100 Years Without Growing Old.”

Here’s the link to Mr. Sardi’s website: www.knowledgeofhealth.com/report.asp?story=Living%20Long%20Looking%20Young&catagory=Anti-Aging,%20Resveratrol. You’ll want to click on the button to download the PDF for his “anti-aging report” for some interesting reading. Naturally, I find the part about taking HA pills orally the most edifying! Very Happy For those of you who don’t know, collagen and hyaluronic acid are the building blocks for our skin....

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Peptides encourage the skin to produce collagen in the skin, which are amino acids, the building blocks of collagen in the body. Also glucosominoglycans which are found in retinol and glycolic/AHA products also help stimulate collagen in the skin, and hyaluronic acid is naturally found in the skin and is said to help build collagen as well. But collagen in the bottle does not begat collagen in the skin, the molecule is too large to penetrate the epidermis and get into the dermis where it would be able to repair itslef. So we have to use amino acids/peptides in order to help stumulate collagen, also worth trying are products like TNS by skin medica with human growth factors, or fibroblasts, which are also supposed to help stimulate collagen growth via releasing hormone impulses into the skin that signal the skin to repair itself. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |