Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
:: Review :: Obagi Rocks!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I took a 3 week break to TRY and do a peel and did not have good results. I did an 18% TCA and my skin had toughened up so much that almost nothing happened. Just had some byumpy patches and no peeling. I don't want to go higher with a TCA.
In the meantime, I had stopped Obagi and boy did my skin pay the price. I was soooo depressed on how saggy my skin looked. And the loss of color in my face. I thought I had reversed everything.

I decided to forget the peel pursuit and go back on Obagi. SO 2 nights ago I went back on and this morning my skin already looks so much better. Everything is already tightnening up again the lines are looking better and I don't have that saggy look anymore. And the color is back.

I will do 12 weeks AT LEAST and then Maint. I'll never stop again.

Obagi rocks! Very Happy
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
It's good Obagi works for you but it sounds a little be scary too. In such a short time you were not using it and everything was reversed and by a very short time your skin got good again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Well do you knwo of any products that you stop and things just stay as great as they were? MOST products require maintanence.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
wenrwdy: Are you still combining it with the Revive? Are you still seeing good results with Revive?
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
When I'm on Obagi, I only use the Volumizing serum. I have to say, I got better results from revive while ON Obagi. I think it was the Obagi with Retin A that was doing most of the work.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I am confused, isnt retin A & Obgai working deeping (meaning just not surface), so how can your face go so far back to where you started from just by stopping for a few weeks, thats nuts...It almost sounds like its doing more damage than good? I've never used anything that gave great results only to reverse back within a few weeks of no use, and nor do I think I would unless it was marketed as a temporary product.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I just didn't have the same glow I had that's all. My skin was not as tight. But hey, Retin A is to keep your skin in a constant state of irritation. That's how it kicks into overdrive for cell renewal. It thinks its damaged. So my skin is pinker and tighter. In my opinion, it just looks better.

You are supposed to go 18-24 weeks on Oabagi and I only went for 7. I had a longer way to go. I thought I could take a short cut by having a peel after 7 weeks (you are always told to do a minimum of 6 weeks on Retin A before doing a peel) and then go to maintenance.

IF I had gone the full 18-24 weeks, my skin would not have looked like that after only 3 weeks. I should have clarified the recommended time vs how short a period I was on it.

But it took a long time for my skin to get into the shape it was b4 Obagi and it will take awhile to get into good shape again.

It is strange, I didn't peel from an 18% TCA (from MAC) and I am peeling on day 3 back on Obagi. Anyway, I love it.
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I just can not stand peeling or flaking.

Luckily I don't need to take such measures. Retinol every other night and Vitamin C serum daily seems to have given me that youthful glow. And relax-a-line added to the mix has pretty much done away with my forehead lines.

Lori

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, you're lucky. I had a considerable amount of sun damage. So it was worth it to me.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Also explaining what happened to my skin from this website:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=27

"What retinoids, AHA, and BHA products have in common is that once you stop using them, your skin will revert to the way it was before. These products will not produce permanent change. The smooth exterior lasts only as long as you use them. But used together long-term, they are a formidable weapon in the battle against wrinkles and blemishes.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
well see heres my confusion, if ones skin "reverts back to as it was before" then why do all this, seems alot of time, effort and money for nothing more than the results the temporary lift products give for 30 bucks a bottle. How can anything be helping one if your skin goes completely back to what it was before using them. Embarassed I am not knocking that you love these just think its silly to waste all that money and time for what "nothing". If something is working at creating more collagen by tricking ones skin into thinking its damaged, then if it worked you'd have more collagen and thus not revert back so fast, it would then need to re-break down so to speak.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know of anything out there that can will make your skin look beautiful permanently? I'd love to try it. Even plastic surgery is temporary. Your skin will always be aging and changing so I don't know how anything could combat that.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
well as I stated, 3 weeks to revert back is insane, if its really rebuilding collagen then it should then retake time for the aging process to delete it again, that was all I was saying. I REPEAT I am not knocking it, just seems way too fast a revert for me to try it. I am using the re'vive alone, and love love love the results, so thank you for that recommendation.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Well, my skin really didn't revert all the way back to the original condition it was in. I had terrible sun spots. I have another thread that shows my before pics so I am certainly not that bad. I just felt like my skin was not AS tight as it was while using Obagi. It just feels better and I also feel the Revive products work better while on Obagi. Wel,, I'm only using the eye products, volumizing serum and occasionally the cellular repair to soothe my skin from the Retin A.

I am so glad the Revive is work for you.
Elfie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Obagi and am on week 2. Instead of using Retin-A the plastic surgeon suggested Azelex (to fade my PIH), so basically I'm doing a modified version of the Obagi regimin. So far, so scary. All those little bumps I could see in my skin under magnification are coming to the surface. I look bad-really bad, BUT my skin feels smooth, my pores are much smaller and it seems my hyperpigmentation is fading. I did a lot of research before starting on Obagi since it is so controversial. It seems people have really strong opinions about this stuff. What finally sold me was talking to people who have successfully completed the program. Those who were able to survive the "uglies" all swore by Obagi. My plastic surgeon forbids makeup for the first 6 weeks, making the "uglies" even more difficult.

As I understand it the Obagi fades the hyperpigmentation, but the melanin is still there and if you discontinue the product the spots darken up again. There is no product that "removes" the melanin.
cacork

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I've been on obagi for just about 4 months still peeling anyone else had similar reaction 52 years old my MD recommended this system with obagi RX cream every night.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cacork. I've also been on Obagi for 4 months and I'm still peeling. It is definitely less than it was in the beginning though. I mainly peel around my mouth and nose every couple of days or so.
katie121

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:27 am      Reply with quote
I've been on Obagi since October. I still have peeling but the results have been dramatic. I had an appointment last week with the plastic surgeon who started me on the program, and the aestheticians to have a gycolic peel. The before and after pics that they had of my face showed a dramatic difference. They told me that I was still peeling because the products are still working on my damaged skin. The also recommended using Dermacia MD makeup to aid in the heeling process while my skin is still rejuvenating new skin cells, and reversing some of the damage I have on my skin. You have to maintain the effects of the Obagi so going off for 3 weeks would certainly reverse some of the effects if she'd only been on it for 7 weeks. You arent suppose to go on maintenence until you've done 3 6-8 week cycles of the program. Studies have shown that this is the only regimine that actually works to reverse damage to the skin. Read this article that my plastic surgeon wrote who has studied with Dr. Obagi:

Cosmetic Skin Care Products - Fact or Fiction?

Dr. Rob Oliver's Plastic Surgery 101 Blog has an interesting post on the boom in skin care products on the market today. There are many celebrities hawking their new elixir or lotion of youth, including Victoria Principal and Courtney Cox. Do any of these products actually work? What's the big deal with Copper, or Squalene, or whatever the heck is in Strivectin? From I've seen, there is no big deal.

According to a recent New York Times article:
“People are spending $450 on a jar of cream just because it is made out of something exotic like salmon eggs or cocoons,” Dr. Brademas said. “But the cheapest products work just as well as the more expensive ones.”

A study of wrinkle creams published last month by Consumer Reports concluded that there was no correlation between price and effectiveness. The study, which tested nine brands of wrinkle creams over 12 weeks, also concluded that none of the products reduced the depth of wrinkles by more than 10 percent, an amount “barely visible to the naked eye.”

The Consumer Reports study found, for example, that a three-step regimen of Olay Regenerist products costing $57 was slightly more effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles than a $135 tube of StriVectin-SD or a $335 combination of two La Prairie Cellular lotions.

“I am seduced by fancy packaging as much as the next person,” Dr. Brademas said. “But I have a theory that all these skin-care things come out of the same vat in New Jersey.”

Here's my summary of the whole skin care trade:
1. Any over-the-counter products do little except moisturize the skin. The FDA does not allow medically-active products to be sold in department stores. In addition, cosmetics companies are not rash enough to allow a product which actually changes the fundamental structure of the skin to be sold by someone not trained in skin care. It would be a liability nightmare.

2. Sunscreen is the most important skin care product, followed by a retinol product. Retin-A is the only skin care product I know of that is actually scientifically proven to decrease fine lines and reverse early pre-skin cancers. Hydroquinone can actually remove age spots and pigmented lesions over the span of several weeks.

3. I've tried and studied many different skin care lines, and the only one I have found to create visible results in the majority of patients is Obagi. It can be hard to tolerate, but it does actually work for those who stick with it.

4. I'm sure that there are products that people use which work for them, but I've found that many of the really expensive cosmetics, whether sold by a department store, TV show, or pyramid scheme salesperson, do little overall.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.:

Posted by Dr. Tony Youn at 8:16 PM 9 comments

Labels: Obagi, Skin Care Products
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I heard Obagi had hydroquinine in it thats why I was afraid to use it, it bleaches your skin,hydroquinine is banned in Europe and I heard the FDA was thinking of banning it here.I wanted to do Obagi but the down time seems REALLY long and I work with the public and I am afraid people will stare at me Embarassed
katie121

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Here's what my PS had to say about the hydroquonine:

Dr. Tony Youn said...
"Hydroquinone is known to cause onchronosis, which is a skin darkening disorder that is extremely rare and usually seen in Africans. The 4% prescription strength has been used for a long time, and should be used under physician supervision. The over-the-counter 2% formulation is the one which has been reviewed for banning. It is possible that due to its active properties it should not be sold over-the-counter.
As far as carcinogenicity, it has been encountered in laboratory mice, to my knowledge. But so has many other products which are sold over the counter (even sugar substitutes!) There are no known cases of skin cancer due to hydroquinone in humans, as far as I know."

As far as downtime with the product there are Obagi products to help you get through the rough times! They have action which helps with the peelies and Toloreen which helps with the redness and other things that crop up. I was also told to use the Dermacia MD to help heal while I'm going thru the system. I have to say this Make Up rocks! My skin looks great and it really does help with the dryness and redness that you go through. And everyones skin is different. I would definately try it but only under a Dr. care. They can customize the system for your particular skin.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Great!!!
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
obagi is the best!!

5% products discount

Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
And relax-a-line added to the mix has pretty much done away with my forehead lines.

What is relax-a-line?

Quote:
What finally sold me was talking to people who have successfully completed the program. Those who were able to survive the "uglies" all swore by Obagi.

I agree but needed to see photos. There are pictures of REAL people that were obviously not showing the end result with make up on. There is one in particular where the girl documented every picture week by week that really showed the progress. If I can find the site again I will post it. It may help the skeptics.

It seems most people have redness and peeling. I am seem to be experiencing an increase in wrinkling, especially the eye area, which is the worst side effect as far as I am concerned. The peeling is tolerable up until I have to go out in public because it makes it nearly impossible to wear any makeup. Even just a little cover up for the red spots just makes everything look like a flaky, cakey mess. And I see no new skin popping out or a feeling of smoothness. I am just starting my 4th week.

Anyone have wrinkles appear that were not previously there? If so, what do you do about it?

newface
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
New face..are you sure there is more wrinkles on your face??? Hummmm, I don't like that Sad Sad
bamboo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard SO MUCH about this brand... Gotta try it one day... one day...
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |