Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Urgent help required (long post - sorry!)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
betty77
5% products discount

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
hello everyone!
I have been visiting this site for a couple of months now to looking for skin care advice and you all seem very knowledgable about skin care so I wondered if any of you might be able to advise me on how I should procced with my skincare regime.
First a little bit of background. I am 28 and have spend the last 4 years caring full time for my father who was very ill with cancer he is now thankfully in remission. Up until my dad got sick I had been away from home studying for my Masters and pursuing my dreams of becoming an artist.I had to give all this up to help my father and although I was glad to do it moving away from all my friends in the city left me feeling very isolated and I became quite depressed and I am afraid I rather neglected myself and put on a lot of weight and developed acne.
I have since lost most of the weight I put on approx 60 pounds but when I look in the mirror at the state of my skin I feel so depressed about the youth I feel I have lost. I have lost so much confidence over the past few years in terms of giving up my life in the city and losing touch with many of my friends from that time as well as losing my artistic outlets that I drasticly need a confidence boost, and I feel that if I could somehow restore some of the healthy youthful glow to my skin it would help. I have not even had a single date in the past 4 years and feel reluctant about putting myself out there is my current condition Crying or Very sad

Okay now that you know what is riding on the success of my regime I will let you know about my skin.
After losing the weight my father gave me some money for my birthday to go for a series of Glycolic peels the 1st couple gave good results and appeared to clear up my blackheads but as the course went on the began to burn my face and I was left with lots of scabbing after each treatment which the clinic told was a sign the treatment was working. After I stopped the treatment my acne came back and I am still left with red discolouration on my cheeks where I was burnt by the peels.
I have since had some success in controling my acne using Dr Hauschka products (cleansing cream, claryfing toner, day oil and clay mask) I have been using these only in the past few weeks so I am hoping the improvement will continue.
The current state of my skin is this:
Many blackheads and open pores on my nose,forehead, chin and cheeks. I also have lots of red marks on my chin especially from past breakouts as well as the red marks from the peel on my cheeks.
I have quite a few fine lines developing under my eyes and I am noticing that when I smile I am getting a line that stays even after I stop. I have started to use a tube of retin a under my eyes at night but I am not seeing any improvment as yet although it has only been a short time.
I also feel that from putting on weight and losing it again the lower part of my face has sagged ever so slightly giving me a slight jowelliness along the jawline which seems a bit unfair at 28. I am hoping that this wil rectify as my skin catches up with the weightloss but can anyone recommend any excerises or products that could help with this?
The over all appearance of my skin is fairly blotchy and sallow (although I would say that I have fair celtic skin)with my nose being especially unsightly because even where the blackheads have cleared up I am left with rather shadowy open pores that appear dark even though they are clear. I have quite noticable dark circles under my eyes as well as the fine lines and although my t-zone is greasy my cheeks are fairly dry and sensitive.
Any advice that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in nutrition and dietry supplements as I am vegetarian and so feel I may have become deficiant in some skin health supporting vitamins.
Also does anyone think that using the Dr H rythmic night conditioner would help my skin?
and should I continue using the retin a under my eye if I wish to see an improvment in my fine lines.
Sorry this is so long.
I look forward to reading your replies.
Many thanks
Betty.
minivanmom
5% products discount

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. You are to be commended for taking care of your father. Now it is time to take care of yourself. First, I think you should make sure that the dark circles, sallowness, etc is nothing psycholgical, ie: have a physical to make sure you are ok.

After that, I would say that you should treat your skin very gently. I have found that the regime at acne.org has worked very well for both myself and my daughter: gentle cleansing and a 2.5%bp gel twice a day.

Also, although it may take some time, I think you are on the right track with the retin-a. You probably will start to experience peeling and redness, stick with it, the results are a softening of the fine lines (and I speak from experience; I am 45 and it really helps). I would not use it directly under the eyes however, I think it makes the wrinkles worse there.

Also, I think you should treat yourself to a good, relaxing facial. If nothing else, it will relax you!!! LOL.

I am sure that you will get wonderful advice from this board, I know I have. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Donna
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Betty! Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place...there are many helpful, knowledgeable, and kind women (and men) here who can help steer you in the right direction as far as skincare goes. I'm still fairly new here and just read your post and wanted to say hello and glad to hear your dad's doing better. Please don't be hard on yourself about letting things go a little. You were helping someone during a very tough time. I know when I've faced hard times, all my "beauty" routines fell by the wayside. Congrats on losing the extra weight you put on...that's half the battle right there! I'm sure you'll get alot of great advice and support here and I wish you much luck. andrea Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Betty - My mother passed away last September after 4 years of failing health, so I know exactly what you mean when you say you neglected your own health, appearance and interests. Stress and grief can really have a devastating effect on one's life and looks. But I'm very happy to hear your father's in remission, so your sacrifice seems to have been well worth it -- you probably saved his life. I commend you for your love, devotion and sacrifice. You're obviously a wonderful person for having given up, at such a young age, so much for your father, and I hope that with the discovery of an effective regimen, your appearance will eventually match the beauty within you.

Losing the extra weight is a huge hurdle that's now behind you, so you've proven you're disciplined as well!!! But your glycolic peels were unfortunate -- you shouldn't have experienced burns and scabbing.

First of all, why just use Retin-A around your eyes? Since you have acne issues, if your skin is tolerating it well you should try using it all over your face at bedtime without any other products layered over it. I agree totally with minivanmom's remark about the eye area though -- it's been my experience that a gentler retinoid should be used around the eyes or else you'll often have crinkling and lines from it. Start the Retin-A gradually and build up a tolerance until you discover the number of applications per week it takes to make your skin look its best. You may want to alternate it with a glycolic acid or other type of AHA product on other nights. If you find that Retin-A's too irritating, there are OTC retinoids that are gentler. And don't forget, you absolutely must use an effective sunscreen or else you're doing more harm than good by using exfoliating products which thin/remove the protective horny layer of skin (stratum corneum). This is a must!!! Retinoic acid, glycolic acid (or some kind of AHA) and sunscreen will eventually refine and firm your skin texture, reduce fine lines, reduce blotchiness and even your skin tone -- basically they'll help to reverse the damage that's been done so far. If your skin gets too dry, give it a break and back off the acids for a few days. BTW, a little bit of dryness actually makes the pores look smaller. Since you're still young and acneic, you may not need a moisturizer since good sunscreens are generally very emollient.

I hope it's not long before you can reconnect with your friends, and resume your artwork and studies. You're an angel on earth, Betty, and I wish you the very best of luck
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
P.S. - You may also want to use a Vit.C serum in the AM, and let it sink in about 10-15 minutes before applying sunscreen and any makeup. I started using it last summer and have found that it gets rid of the redness that irritating retinoids can cause. It's also photo-protective, so it acts like a booster for your sunscreen.
Kiwigirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with the recommendation of vitamin c serum in the morning. I'm about your age and had/have very similar skin concerns. I have been using the Dr Hauschka products (am: cleansing cream, facial toner, rejuvenating mask/quince day cream, pm: cleansing milk, facial toner) for nearly 2 years and while I found it amazing, my skin has a tendency to look a little sallow as I have quite goldy/olive undertones in my skin. I started mixing in the PSF 12% vitamin C serum (in the mornings) towards the end of last year and find that my tendency to look sallow is definitely reduced and my skin tone seems to be more even overall.

Vit C also will help in lightly exfoliating your skin, and I notice that you don't mention any other exfoliation products (as well as the Dr. H clay masks I use Dermalogica's daily microfoliant about once a fortnight or once a month).

In terms of some of your other concerns, particularly the acne scaring and open pores, and taking into consideration that you are already using the Dr. H products, I have also found that with using the Dr. Hauschka rejuvenating mask as a daily moisturiser (which I was recommended to do by the Dr. H aesthetician I visited initially) I have seen considerable improvement in these over the time I've been using it. Not a cheap option but you often don't need very much moisturiser over the top of a vitamin c serum anyway, and I often add an extra layer of quince cream on my cheeks where my skin is the driest.

I'm sorry but I can't comment on using retinol as I don't use it so have zero experience, although some of the other lovely inhabitants of the forum will no doubt help you out with that.

Other pointers, keep drinking lots of water and maybe try a zinc supplement as it is helpful in accelerating wound healing, not to mention nail and hair improvements.

Oh, are you sticking to the Dr. H philosophy of no night cream? It's difficult but I've found it has really helped my skin to cut back on the day-oilies!

Gosh, this is nearly as long as your initial post... I have a tendency to rabble... Very Happy

HTH

Kiwigirl.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I will jump on the Vit. C serum post. Nothing is better for a quick shot in the arm for skin than that.. I started to get a nice glow after just a couple weeks.

Have not used any of the other things you are using now, so will leave those comments to the other ladies.

There are probably some DIY solutions you could try too.. the ACV toner and Asprin mask seem to be favorites of everyone.

If you are looking to change lines, IS Clinical (will cost you $$$) is one line a lot of peopel have a lot of success with.

Good luck!!
Mabsy

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
I will also recommend incorporating a vitamin C serum - that should help even out the skin tone and also make your skin look brighter as well.

In terms of blackheads, I would still stick to the Dr Hauschka routine. Concentrate the cleansing cream on those areas and spend 2 minutes twice daily just pressing the cleansing cream onto damp skin. That really worked for me after about two weeks. All the blackheads were virtually gone. Re: Phythmic Night Conditioner. I think it can help in general but I am not sure how specifically. I used two 28 day courses of this and I really liked the look of my skin while I was using it but I can't really pinpoint anything specific that it did. If you would like to try it then perhaps go with a smaller pack first and see what results you get?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Betty: My mom's been very sick lately (broken hip, pacemaker and stroke) so I know how hard it can be. What you're doing is wonderful.

I also lost weight 2.5 years ago. I had a neck flap for about a year. The neck exercises, low glycemic diet and DMAE creams have really helped and it's not very saggy now. It is a slow process but you are much younger than I am so I'll bet you can make progress here (it will not be fast though). Drink lots of water and green tea! Someone recently posted a link here to a very good free site with the neck exercises.

I agree you should start a vitamin C routine.
betty77
5% products discount

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
Thank you all so much for your responses. It is very heartening to hear from people who have managed to turn around their own skin problems. It also put things in perspective to know that many people put thier lives on hold to care for loved ones. I really am glad that I could be there for my Father when he was ill and I do think I am a stronger and wiser person for the experiance and I am so much closer to my dad now I just wish the all that extra experiance didn't show so much on my face. Confused
It is just depressing to look in the mirror and feel that there is no chance of things getting any better and that it's all down hill from this point on and I also felt a little let down by the professionals after my bad peel experiance. So thank you again for taking the time to reply I do feel more optimistic that I can make a positive difference to my skin.
Anyway you have all given me much to think about and research. Vitiman C seems to be something everyone is recommending so I will do a search here to see what all these knowledgeable ladies are using.
The asprin mask sounds interesting also I once read that if asprin had been discovered in the last 10 years it would be the most expensive drug on the planet as it is so effective at so many things I will see what it can do for my skin! Smile
Thanks again Ladies sometimes the change in attitude is the most important thing and as I said before I do feel more hopeful now.
I will let you know how I get on and will be sure to post if I find any thing wonderful!
betty x
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Betty,

I hope I'm not sticking my neck out too far here and that I don't offend you when I ask this question:

How long have you been a vegetarian? The reason I ask is because I was also a vegetarian for only a little over a year and became pretty sick. My diet was as balanced as it could be, as far as that kind of diet goes.

It just did not agree with me at all. When I went back to a regular diet I regained my health. My DH, on the other hand, did fine on it. I don't think that everyone can thrive on that kind of diet, it depends on the person's makeup.

My health, skin and thyroid suffered while eating this way. The soy was horrific for me. It took me about 6 months to recover. I won't go off on a tangent here about what I think of soy, just that it's nasty stuff in my opinion, and not fit for human consumption.

If you eat a lot of it, do a google search on it and see what you can on it. Sad

It could be that your body needs different kind of protein than you get now. If you eat a lot of soy, maybe that could be part of it.

Your religion or just your beliefs may be the deciding factor in your choice, I understand that. And I respect that. I have family members who also follow the diet, some healthy, one or 2 not.

The best to you in getting back to taking care of yourself now. Smile
betty77
5% products discount

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Gayle for your post.

I do not mind you pointing out that my vegitarianism may be detrimental to my health and skin. I read an article about the Perricone Prescription which advised that vegitarians could age faster than meat eaters. I accept that this is possibly true but I have been vegitarian for nearly 20 years now and it is non negotiable. I have thought about eating fish for health but I just could not do it.
I don't in anyway criticize those who eat meat (all the rest of my family do) but my belifs prevent me from doing so.

However I think you are right that I should review my diet and make sure that it is properly balenced and that I am getting the supplements I might need. I think I will start a new thread to see what other veggies have found to be helpful/problimatic in their diets.

Thank you Gayle for sharing your experiance with me.

Betty x
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi betty!
First of all, I really admire you for taking care of your dad in spite of the price you had to pay. You are obviously a beautiful person with a very loving spirit ! I'm really pleased that your dad has gone into remission and I hope that things will really lighten up for you now.
Please don't neglect yourself!!! It's not selfish to take care of yourself- it's the most loving, responsible thing you can do because if you don't, you won't be in good enough shape to help anyone else for very long. You can't give from an empty well!
I would encourage you to continue with your artwork in whatever capacity you are able- especially if you are depressed! Take time for yourself and leave the house and do things you really enjoy: paint outdoors, nurture friendships, take or teach some studio courses, do whatever it takes to put you back into a mode of moving forward!
Bravo on the weight loss!! That is quite an accomplishment in itself. Are you vegetarian or are you vegan? One of the best books I've found on nutrition is : "Food and Healing" by Annemarrie Colbin. Even though it's not a new book (1986), I find it very balanced - not focused on vegetarianism per se (although she was a vegetarian for many years) but gives a good foundation for understanding how foods affects us: wether they are contractive or expansive, alkaline or acid forming, build up or break down, warming or cooling, and how they affect mood, sex, and health. It also gives a run down on different diets, tuning in to body signals to know when it's time to change our diet and how to change it. According to her, a well balanced vegetarian diet is extremely healthful for a person who is suited to it (not all are), but a strict vegetarian or vegan diet combined with honey or refined sugar is extremely damaging because it causes protein deficiency. You probably can find this book at the library and in the book stores- if you can't find it and are interested in reading it, P.M. me with your address and I will send you my copy.
Wish you the best! Smile
betty77
5% products discount

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mimsy, thank you for your reply. I do intend to get out there and do things start making art work again and to try an socialise more, I just keep finding reasons to put it off! I know I'll get there eventually though.
Thank you also for suggesting the "Food and Healing" I read some reviews of it and it appears to be based on macrobiotics which is something that interests me but I know little about it does look like it would be suitable to help me make my veggie diet healthier!
Your are very kind to offer your own copy but I am able to buy it from amazon here in the uk but many thanks for offering and for your support and suggestions.

Betty Smile
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome, Betty!
If you are interested in macrobiotics per se, there are better books out there for you. Actually this book isn't based on macrobiotics, but is rather an overview of different systems, macrobiotics being one of them. The author says that she does think that the macrobiotic way of eating can be one of the healthiest, and she has embraced the law of opposites from this system ( acid/alkaline, expansive/contractive, heating/cooling etc). That is an important part of this book and it's a wonderful way to understand how different foods effect the body. She herself follows what she calls a "Health-Supportive Whole Food Eating Style" which incorporates many of the good aspects of various diets, but above all encourages balance, flexibility, paying attention to your body's signals, learning how different foods affect it, and how to make changes when needed.
HTH Very Happy
betty77
5% products discount

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

just thought I would add a little update and let you know that I have been following all your advice. I have made up my first batch of Vit C serum it seems nice if a little stick to use. I have used it a few nights this week and haven't noticed a diffrence yet but it take some time I imagine.I am using it at night because I am using the Dr H system at teh moment and wasn't sure when to apply it in the morning after the toner but before the day oil? I have also added an MSM supplement to my regime so hopefully that will help to.
I also continue to improve my diet although as always I find giving up bread very hard!

Thanks again!
Betty
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I am so glad your father is doing well. I lost mine to advanced prostate cancer last Jan.after a tough battle and after everything woke up to very stressed skin and and a little overweight. I pulled myself up and started doing Body Sculpting by Jilad on FitTV and he changed my life, not only losing the extra 15 lbs. but reshaping/firming my body and mentally working out my depression. Love him! People ask me how I did it and I swear by him. Then I started a really good vit regime and lots of water (which I had forgotten to do). Next on to my face, having a little botox on my 11's and microdermabrasion, which could helped me even out tone. Then I found this forum and all the wonderful products and advice, from homemade carekate recipe's to the IS Clinical and Dr H CC. That was the final turnaround, the Vit C glow for me with the excercise. I wish your father well and remember to enjoy him while he's here, it never seems long enough.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
betty77 wrote:
Hello everyone,

just thought I would add a little update and let you know that I have been following all your advice. I have made up my first batch of Vit C serum it seems nice if a little stick to use. I have used it a few nights this week and haven't noticed a diffrence yet but it take some time I imagine.I am using it at night because I am using the Dr H system at teh moment and wasn't sure when to apply it in the morning after the toner but before the day oil? I have also added an MSM supplement to my regime so hopefully that will help to.
I also continue to improve my diet although as always I find giving up bread very hard!

Thanks again!
Betty

The last batch of the Vit. C serum I made, I used Flax seed, soaked in water overnight, strained, the added to the powder. Amazing how it dissolved and how nice it felt on my skin, not sticky at all. Even cheaper than the KY gel. Although I wouldn't keep it over a week.

Also, it's my understanding that morning, after cleansing, then sunscreen on the top was the way to go. Of course I use Retin A at night in my regimen.
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Gayle! Using the liquid from soaked flax seed works really well in the vitamin C serum! I also added a couple drops of myrrh tincture as a preservative and because I like the benefits of myrrh. I'm happy with this as I prefer to stay away from propyl... anything. So far I love the C serum- thank you Carrie!!! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |