Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Vegetarianism and Skin Health
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
betty77
5% products discount

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I posted a topic on the skincare advice forum a few days ago and one of the women who was kind enough to respond suggested that my vegetarianism may be responsible for poor health and poor skin condition.
Although I have been vegitarian for nearly 20 years and will contiue on a meat free diet I was curious if other people had found vegitarianism to be bad for your skin?
I did read previously that Dr Perricone's Prescription suggested that eating fish and meat were essential to skin health and warding off premature aging.
Have any other vegitarians out there found any supplements that have really helped their skin?
Is it worth taking a protien shake supplement.
A lot of the skin health /anti aging supplements seem to have animal source collegen or fish/marine extract in them and I would be interested in any possible vegitarian alternatives? What could a vegitarian eat to help boost collegen production?
Perhaps even foods I could add to my diet?
I have heard good things about coconut oil and flax oil so I am keen to try these but generally I am confused about the options available to me!
Any advice greatfully recived!
betty Wink
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
My sis is a vegan she is 7 years younger than me but everyone thinks that she is considerably older. I think it is a person to person thing and that you can get good skin as a vegetarian but probably not as a vegan because the fat and protein intake is just too low (fats are a necessary intake for hormone production). It probably doesn't matter if you're in your 20's though. The biggest problem I see is high quality protein and Omega 3 oils (best from fish). Flax (which I eat liberally) has a different kind of Omega 3 and is not converted efficeintly to the active kind.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
What about soy? It's supposed to be high in protein, and if you've tried it and don't like the taste, you could consider soy protein shakes, and add maybe fruit or something to bump up the taste. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
No matter what they will say about positive sides of vegan life style, I would never consider it again! I tried to be vegan for almost two hours Laughing , it didn't work for me. Seriously, I did it for about one month, but I stopped, because I felt like I don't have any energy. I was hungry all the time...There is nothing better than juicy stake for me Laughing
Lara

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I've been vegetarian for almost 5 years now. My skin is in better shape than when I started, by a long shot. Everybody thinks I look younger than I am...so I would imagine the quality of your diet has more effect on your skin than the fact that you are a vegetarian. Perhaps introduce more fresh fruits and vegetables and try to cut processed foods out. I drink fresh cucumber and kale juice every day and it's made a dramatic difference in my skin. I've noticed that when I take vitamic C my skin also looks better.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
I was a vegetarian for two years under the supervision of several ayurvedic doctors. During that period of time my skin never improved in any way, I had no energy, no motivation and felt stressed out most of the time. I started catching every cold under the sun and got so sick to the point I was almost bedridden for a month.

My regular Dr. told me if I didn't start eating some animal protein I would just continue in my downward spiral. So I started incorporating it back into my diet and within several days I was almost completely better. I had so much energy, I was like the energizer bunny. I felt amazing. I haven't gotten sick since then. (touch wood)

Some people do great on a vegetarian diet but it's definately not for everyone. You really need to get lots of protein. This is so important. I have friends who are veg. but they eat the bars and shakes and all that kind of stuff. My diet consists mainly of fruits and veggies and for me a healthy piece of chicken or fish is so much easier than all those shakes, bars and tofu.

But like I said everyone is different. Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sharky - do you eat whole flax seed? I've heard that if it's ground, it's more beneficial. I saw a physician on tv who said this and she suggested sprinkling it on salads, cereals, etc. in order to incorporate more of it into the diet.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:36 am      Reply with quote
One of my collegeus (sp?) has been vegan for years - and her skin is absolutely flawless, beautiful. She also practices a fair bit of yoga...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I eat golden flax meal. I put it in my homemade cereals, in all of my baked goods and in stews and soups. I try to eat 2 Tablespoons per day. It has Omega 3s and soluble filber both great for you. I also use the whole seeds for texture in muffins and some other baked goods and for toppings.

I absolutely love Flax. I believe it was a major contributor to my health improvement by a low glycemic index diet. I also significantly lost wrinkles. My diet is not low fat though but high good fat. I also eat (and cook with) nuts and nut meals (pecan and macadamia nut are my 2 favorite nut flours). My dd says her class unanimously says my pecan flour Chocolate chip cookies are the best (they also contain flax). I use very little white flour and basically no processed foods with the exception of flaxmeal bread.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Pecan flour??? I have never heard of that!!!!! It's made completely with nuts? You are getting me very excited here! Do you purchase it in the store or make it yourself?
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi betty77, I have been vegetarian for 20 years now and I do believe it is difficult to get all the nutrients you need on a vegetarian diet. I have had a lot of great help from nutritionists and vegetarians who work in health shop. My supplement regime is even more elaborate than my skin care regime, but that is just the kind of person I am... I'll tell you what I have been recommended to take.
- A good food state multi vitamin
- Essential fatty acids. Udo's Oil covers all your essential fatty acids, or you can take flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil.
- MSM. Good for skin moisture levels
- Alpha Lipoic Acis with DMAE. Perricone mentions this one.
- Coq10 or ginko
- A B vitamin complex
- Higher Nature Collaflex Gold
- Garlic
It would be a great idea for you to get your own personal recommendation and get you started with the right quantities. All I can say is it works for me, I have been full of energy and without any colds all winter, but just now that I am out of 4 of my supplements I have got a cold... I hope this helps Very Happy
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Yes the nut flours are pure ground nuts. Although almond flour is available in most groceries (and Bob's Red Mill) I prefer the softer texture of the other nut flours. I order them from a WEB site called
"nuts4u".
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
sharky I love you....this is just what I have been lucking for! Thanks so much!
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have been a vege for 12 years and I get compliments on my hair and skin all the time! I take a multivit and flax seed oil.
betty77
5% products discount

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,
Thank you so much for your reply's .
Lots and lot's of information to go on. Flaxseed looks like a good bet as well as the evening primrose oil. I do often get organised manage to be pretty healthy one week but then something else always takes over and I am back to eating lot's of toast and cups of tea and nothing much else! I was interested what sharky said about the low glycemic index diet. I often eat a lot of pretty high glycemic index foods and I do know now that refined carbs are pretty bad for the skin so I need to look into a GI diet for definite.

MSM. Good for skin moisture levels
Alpha Lipoic Acis with DMAE.
I am not sure how easy it is to get these supplements in a veggie form in the uk (I'm actually not to sure what MSM is) but I will see what I can find on the internet.
I wonder does anyone know how long you need to stick with a supplement program before you can tell if it works or not?

Anyway thank you all again for your kind and quick responses to my questions!

Betty Smile
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Betty, some more help with finding vegetarian supplements: Fresh and Wild does a veggie MSM and Viridian does a veggie Alpha Lipoic DMAE Complex. It takes about a month to notice a difference in hair and skin, but if you take Coq10 I would say it only takes a few days to notice a difference in energy levels. They are brilliant at putting together a whole supplement regime for you at Fresh and Wild.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Betty: When I changed my diet I was using no topicals (I did not really believe I could get rid of wrinkles).
In about 6 months I had significant improvement in my skin so people were remarking on that more than the 40+ pound weight loss. I'm not sure what was the deciding factor. My diet is rather high protein and good fat (eat fish 2-3 times per week plus fish oil) but I do also eat berries and flax every day. Also good veggies (lots of dark greens and cruciferous) have replaced the simple starches.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
PS Plus the nuts are full of good oils and fiber and can be eaten on any diet.
betty77
5% products discount

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone just a wee update, to let you all know that I have been trying some of the things suggested by you guys and am looking to try others.
I am trying to get more protein and have started taking MSM as suggested by smooth skin as well as flax seed I haven't noticed anything as yet but I think it takes at least a month for changes in diet and supplements to show I'll post again when I see any changes!
Betty x
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely post back with your success. Very Happy I'd love to know how the MSM works out. I've been considering taking this myself.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone got an update on how they are doing with their supplements? I have been so busy lately and stopped taking all the supplements... I ran out of a few things and then the regime did not really make sense, so I have just focused on having lots of juices and fresh vegetables. I am not sure if I should just keep going with that or start taking supplements again, so I would love to hear how you are all doing with yours. Maybe I need some inspiration to start taking a few things again...
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin wrote:
Has anyone got an update on how they are doing with their supplements? I have been so busy lately and stopped taking all the supplements... I ran out of a few things and then the regime did not really make sense, so I have just focused on having lots of juices and fresh vegetables. I am not sure if I should just keep going with that or start taking supplements again, so I would love to hear how you are all doing with yours. Maybe I need some inspiration to start taking a few things again...

Smoothskin, I've been a vegetarian all my life too. I don't take supplements though. My skin isn't really bad either. I get hormonal acne once in awhile. My sister takes Aloe Vera Supplements, and it has helped her tremendously. She swears by it! hths
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Poohlisey, I do feel just as good without the supplements, especially since I am having all these wonderful fresh juices. I wonder if I should just keep going like this and forget about the supplements. I am thinking I might be missing omega 3 and 6 oils though...
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Me too.. I don't feel tired or anything. So I'm not sure if I need any either.. Love juice and fruits!!
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Being a vegetarian works beautifully for some people but not for others. I truly applaud people who manage to be vegetarian or vegan. I personally tried on and off for 20 years to be vegetarian but failed miserably. My body couldn't tolerate it, pale skin, frequent colds, poor wound healing. I have started taking a soy protein shake (see my post for details) a week ago and have noticed a difference in my skin all over, smoother and firmer.

I agree with taking ground flax seeds. Also many vegetarians are low in iron and b group vitamins. Your doctor can test you for low iron. Molasses is high in iron, so is beetroot. Some people people find that iron supplements make them constipated. I personally have not found this and I have been taking an iron supplement for about three years after a blood test came back as borderline anemia. My hair loss stopped within a week of taking an iron supplement. If you feel it is helpful you can certainly take iron even without a blood test. Due to our monthly period women of menstruating age don't build up excess iron in the blood so it is perfectly safe. There is also a liquid iron supplement called Floradix, however it is quite expensive. I just take plain iron tablets bought at the chemist. Does the trick for me.

I believe some marine collagens are derived from seaweeds. Email suppliers and ask them.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |