Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
:: Review :: Jane Iredale - Liquid Minerals Foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Man how I hate computers! Mad I wrote this long review and just as I submitted it - it decided to give me the good 'ol 404 Page Not Found error and of course I couldn't go back to save my review! Mad

Ok, here I go again....

I've been a bit slack with reviews lately and I blame that mostly on my work schedule. But all this talk of mineral foundations has reminded me that I meant to do a review of the JI Liquid Minerals last week.

I actually have two shades of this foundation; Bisque and Warm Silk. I couldn't decide on the shade by looking at online colour swatches so I asked my mum to get it for me when she was overseas. Thing is that even in person my mum couldn't decide on a colour for me so she got me both. So that whole exercise ended up being a bit pointless Smile

Anyhooo, I'm happy to say that both shades work with my pale skin. Bisque is more of a yellow 'cool' toned shade while Warm Silk is still light but on the warmer side. I find that I tend to reach for Bisque more often though so, when I repurchase this (which I definitely will be doing), I will be going for the Bisque shade (I'm a MAC NC15 if that tells you anything).

First things first, the foundation comes in a 30mL clear pump bottle and has a bit of a gimmick factor because the mineral colour spheres are actually suspended in a clear gel. Not only does it look pretty cool but I also like the fact that the minerals mix with the gel on a 'need basis'. I can't remember exactly what the gel is supposed to be composed of but from what I recall it's full of 'yummy skin goodness' (including Co-Q10). When you press the pump, the mineral spheres get squished through a screen (and you can actually hear that happening Smile) and they mix with the gel.

I found that when I first started using the foundation, the first few pumps were pretty useless (colour-wise anyway; I still used it on my face because it feels nice and soothing). Initially you get a clear gel. I think it took about 5 or so pumps to get the minerals and the gel to mix 'properly'.

I have to apply this foundation to well moisturised skin otherwise it tends to grab to the drier areas and it looks uneven. It is also hard to blend then because it dries quite quickly. However, if I apply this after I let my moisturiser sink in for a few minutes then I get a perfect flawless face (well most of the time anyway Smile). I do use powder over this most times as I find that in the current humid/hot conditions any attempt at a 'dewy' look (with any product) leads to a rather bad result. So I'm using Clinique Blended Face Powder or just the Jurlique Rose Dust over it. In winter I could probably do without the powder though.

Coverage wise, for me this is a sheer foundation but one that, like the powder mineral foundation, is buildable. I use one pump of this on my face and that is enough for me. Looking at how much I have used, I'd say at this rate one bottle will last between 4-5 months.

I think overall this is a really good foundation plus I like the fact that it has an SPF (even though it's not official). I can't say if this is better than the powder foundation because I think that it's more of a personal preference. I like them both but find that the liquid minerals are faster for me to deal with in the morning. I still have some powder mineral foundation so I will go back to that eventually as well though.

I also have to add that this foundation is very light and you don't feel like you've got anything on your skin. Something that I can't say for many of the normal foundations in the shops.

Has anybody else used it and, if so, what are your thoughts about it?

Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I've been eagerly waiting for this review. Thanks, and I feel bad that you had to write the whole damn thing twice! I've had the same problem happen to me a bunch of times if its any consolation :P! Your review was great, and I don't have any questions. I will probably have to try this in the future. But first I'm still determined to find a loose mineral foundation I like. It's frustrating enough trying to find shades that work in person, and even more so looking at the colors on the computer screen!
Mabsy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I should have really copied the text first before submitting. My own fault really because this has happened to me before and yet I have not learned my lesson. Silly me! Smile

How did you go with Geografx? Which one is your favourite powder mineral makeup so far?

Mabsy
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Would you guys have experience with both JI's liquid foundation and Bobbi Brown's moisture rich foundation?

I have tried BE's loose powder foundation - it's not bad at all - but I still prefer Bobbi Brown - the latter actually managed to make my face look quite dewy (even after I set it with the loose powder).

After reading the post's about JI, I am "itching" to try out the Mineral thing again.

Anybody with experiences with both?

Jenny
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy
Man how I hate computers! Mad I wrote this long review and just as I submitted it - it decided to give me the good 'ol 404 Page Not Found error and of course I couldn't go back to save my review! Mad

Mabsy,

You won't believe how many times that's happened to me too !!! MadMad ...and you know the epic posts I used to write-- have many a times thrown my hands in the air in frustration, anyhow lesson learnt!! :P

Thanks for your review of the JI Liquid foundation-- it sounds and looks like something I'd like to try. Just a question or two though, do you sometimes get more mineral or gel and vice versa sometimes coming out of the pump seeing as the minerals are randomly suspended in the gel...and how does the foundation look when it's dry? I'm a fan of dewy over matte. Wink . I'm also keen on trying the JI minerals for winter, going by the good feedback I've been reading, though I will have to go back and read up on which colours will suit me. There were a few ladies on the forum who's skin tone sounded like mine but I'll have to check again.. Wink:P

Jenny, I'm also a fan of Bobby Brown Moisture Rich foundation with SPF 15-- this is my second bottle of 'Beige' and I love it. The only time it feels uncomfortable to wear is when it's extremely humid (which it is now in Sydney-- Mabsy I can share your grief! :P) ... only as the foundation is the last 'layer' I have to put on atop of my moisturiser and sunscreen... a note re the Bobby Brown-- do you use your hands to apply or a sponge?

Hope everyone's doing well and happy, it's been ages since I checked back at this great forum, got so much catching up to do!

Summertimegirl Very Happy
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Summertime Girl

I use my hands to apply Bobbi Brown cos I find it a chore to wash the sponge all the time. I have dry skin, so my skin is quite happy lapping up the moisture rich foundation, even in Singapore's tropical weather (humidity is most of the time >90%)

I think I use BB's Beige too - I believe it is a number 2. If you are interested to try out loose mineral foundation. I have recently tried Bare Escentuals #2.3 and found it just a tad dark. You may want to go for #2.
SmileSmile
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jenny,

Thank you for the colour tip on the BE loose minerals, I wasn't sure which shade to choose (either #2.3 or #2) but if you're a BB Beige then I'm pretty sure #2.3 might be on the dark side for me too...might well have found my colour twin;) With the loose mineral, how do you find it? Does it tend to accentuate your pores, how does it 'cope' in really humid conditions on your skin during the day? I have normal/ dry skin as well. I get the impression that my skin has to be flawless and in top condition, and well moisturised to wear BE loose minerals otherwise the minerals will just enhance all the imperfections.

I also use my hands to apply the Bobby Brown foundation, I can't be bothered with the sponge either, you really can't go wrong with it as it's such a wonderfully nice texture.Smile

Summertimegirl
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Summertimegirl aka Colour Twin;)

Maybe it's my application technique, but despite my Cellex-C GLA Moisturizer for Dry Skin, I found that BE could not match BB's dewy effect. And, on areas that I needed more coverage, when I dusted on more loose foundation, I found this pearlized look that did not look very natural, like a mask (I think someone said something about a mask too). I think loose mineral powder foundation is good if you need a "light" look.

As to the point of pores, yes, I found that they are more visible with the BE loose powder foundation. However, if you add on a layer of BE's mineral veil, it's not that bad.

Cheers
Jenny;)
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jenny,

From a post on this forum I read that you had to swirl-swirl the mineral on and there was a note to check that you've got just enough coverage as it's easy to over do.....one more reason to get the shade right otherwise it'll look more 'mask' like on me so Thank You Colour Twin! Very Happy I think mastering the aplication technique is going to be a challenge for me, but I'm guessing from all descriptions that you have to be light-handed rather than heavy....and probably better to apply in natural lighting.

Also, thanks for mentioning the BE mineral on softening the appearance of pores, I must remember to get it as well. As it's a neutral shade, does it tone down the #2.3 mineral foundation for you?

Summertimegirl Wink
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Summertimegirl

I thought about you this morning as I was "slapping on my war paint" before work and I checked the colour code under the BB's bottle. As it turned out, BB's No 2 (which I am using) is SAND and not Beige. The previous bottle that I used and did not finish (cos I got fairer with all these whitening stuff that I put on every night) is BEIGE No 3. Maybe you would want to check if yours is a No 2 or 3 - just to be sure.

If you are using a No 3, then BE #2.3 would be right for you.

As for the mineral veil, it sort of evens out the entire tone of the face, and "lightens" the look, making it less pearlised or heavy.
You should get it together with the loose powder foundation.

In any case, if you are getting BE's #2.3, then I suggest getting their TRY ME Kit cos you get the Foundation, the Mineral Veil and the Warmth and a brush - at CDN46.

Cheers
jenny
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello Jenny,

I just went and checked the BB foundation and it's Beige No. 3 so I AM a shade darker than you! Very Happy Thanks for getting back to me on this, I think we pretty much got it spot on now.

So the whitening stuff that you use does really work... I was reading the post in the other forum for skincare on those paper mask tablets that is meant to brighten skin-- very interesting!! My skin has a natural tan at the moment as it's summer here in Australia but in the winter I do get very pale-- more pinkish than yellow undertone, so you could still be my skin twin! :P

Thanks for the recommendation on the BE Try Me Kit, I was hovering between the two shades and was hoping to read more on people's feedback to decide but now I'm sure #2.3 is for me. Thanks Jenny, you're a gem!

Summertimegirl Wink
Mabsy

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

In all honesty I was worried about the uneven mix thing before I started using it because I used a similar product before(Physicians's Formula I think) which also had colour beads suspended in gel. That one was very uneven.

I usually do one pump of the Liquid Minerals on the back of my hand and apply from there and I have not seen any obvious colour variation from what comes out. I'm sure there is some colour variation (there would HAVE to be!) but it's not noticeable in what comes out.

I think the effect you get with this foundation depends on what you use underneath it. It is matte when I don't moisturise and dewy when I do. From what I recall, the gel that the minerals are suspended in is moisturising. However, I have not found it to be moisturing enough to skip the moisturisation step and I also wouldn't because it would make the Liquid Minerals harder to apply evenly.

HTH.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,

Thanks for the note on the moisturising point-- I read that the liquid mineral dries semi-matte in Leila's review when she got this for her mum. I think she also pointed out that there was no need to powder afterwards so I'm imagining the finish to be almost matte by the end of the day. How do you find it by the evening?

The only thing is to figure out the right shade. I think Leila mentioned that Bisque was a little too light for her, is warm silk the next darker/ warmer shade?
It is a little hard to tell by the colour swatches-- even with an adjustable laptop screen I can't tell Sad.... Satin and Suntan look the same and Natural looks quite dark. I'll have to scour some salons to see if they sell JI Minerals and check out the colours to be doubly sure.

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
Mabsy

Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

I use powder with mine so I'm not sure how it would go without the powder by the evening. Mind you my makeup rarely lasts on my face that long because I tend to shower and take it off as soon as I get home Smile If I end up going out in the evening then I just apply it again. I guess I like applying makeup Very Happy

I think Warm Silk is the next darker and warmer shade. But really, it would be best if you could find a salon that stocks it. If you go to the JI website, they have the details of the Aus distributor. Give them a call and they should be able to tell you the nearest stockist. There was a few around Brisbane when I rang up a few months ago but at that stage they were just getting the Liquid Mineral range in so I couldn't test it. I think Sydney should be well stocked-up though.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

I only use powder on the occasions I need for my foundation to stay put so usually I just like a fresh dewy finish-- I wear cream blush so it all works well. Wink You're having to put powder over the top of the liquid minerals-- is that because it doesn't dry all that matte?

Thanks for the info re JI's Aust distributer, I'll try and locate a stockist in Sydney and go check out the colours. I still have a full bottle of my BB Beige to go so there's no rush-- unlike my desperate little (failed) mission to get some Nioxin today as I was out of shampoo! Mad Now I know what lemmings can do! It just shows how effective word-of-mouth works when a product gets a good review.....LEMMINGS!!!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Summertimegirl xWink
Mabsy

Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

I'm using powder because it's just too humid at the moment. I tend to go into 'matte' mode when it's hot and muggy Smile

Btw, for future reference, I'm pretty sure Price Attack stores/hairdressers stock Nioxin Wink Well, at least the ones in QLD do!

Mabsy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy

Btw, for future reference, I'm pretty sure Price Attack stores/hairdressers stock Nioxin Wink Well, at least the ones in QLD do!

Mabsy

Hi Mabsy,

I remembered this post about a week ago but didn't thank you for pointing out that Nioxin was sold at Price Attack stores... I went there last week and they had an abundance of stock that wasn't overpriced (the other hair salon had a few dollars on top of what I bought them for at Price Attack! Mad) nor dusty.... AND I could be sure that they didn't offer clients a take-home-and-trial-once deal :P

As for the shampoo, WOW! I think your's and Lisa's minty obsession starts from the shampoo.... it just makes your scalp feel so 'ALIVE'.. !! The blood really does come to the surface of the scalp and the minty sensations are unmistakeably there !!SurprisedSurprised
I'll probably only (be forced) to use the shampoo and conditioner every second day as I find it's not as moisturising as other shampoos as it doesn't have silicon or coating ingredients in it (I know it's not good to wash hair every day but if I don't it's a bucket of grease! Mad The last time I edured that was for Chinese New Year as my superstitious friends insisted that it's bad luck to wash hair on CNY's day!). It's a great volume buiding shampoo for my fine hair, that's for sure!

Thanks again!Very Happy

Summertimegirl xWink
Mabsy

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Summertimegirl,

Glad you like it! This shampoo is definitely great for summer hey? Smile The other plus (at least for me) is that it really improves the strength of my hair. I seem to lose less hair (when washing, brushing etc) after I do a course of this shampoo. I've actually run out a while ago but will be repurchasing (I have to! I would go against my minty persona if I didn't! :P).

Mabsy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |